Hello, and looking for our RV soul mates!

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Hello, and looking for our RV soul mates!

Postby playla_wook » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Hey fellow burners!

My husband and I will be making our first trip to brc this year. We feel so grateful to have been awarded tickets amidst this years crazy ticket fiasco, and have both done an extensive amount of research and reading about burning man (and yes we have read the survival guide, several times over:) We are beyond excited!

We have rented an RV, and are looking for some awesome, FUN people to camp with us. We have 2 spots available in our rv. We are prepared to cover the cost to camp by ourselves if the right people don't come along, but would love to share the experience with some like minded, laid back folks if the opportunity arises.

A little about us; we live in Atlanta, where he's from originally and I grew up in Michigan. We're both 28, he's a photographer and I'm a graphic designer. Our jobs certainly don't define us as people but we both love what we do and are fortunate enough to have found a way to make a living using creativity and making art. We have two beautiful dogs who are our only children as of now, we love music and are passionate about our friends and family. Weve been married almost two years now and completely in love, extremely open and honest with each other and I would describe us both as fun loving, accepting, free people. We are young and have some party in us, so I think whoever would end up camping with us would at least have to be accepting of our adventurous nature if not on the same page.

Let me know if you and a friend/significant other would be interested! Share a little about yourself and we can get to the logistics and money talk later if we mesh.

Can't wait to see each and every one of you on the playa!

Ayla
playla_wook

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Hello, and looking for our RV soul mates!

Postby Rice » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:13 am

playla_wook, welcome to eplaya!!

It can be challenging to find the right people in person... It is hard to say how they will act on both the road-trip and once on the playa. That desert is a harsh bastard, heck, I think it is trying to kill us on a daily basis ;)

Are you at all involved with your local burner group?? It seems that there is a BM regional rep close to you: http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ga_atl.html My first burn was amazingly assisted by my local burner group.

Nothing you can read will really prepare you for the desert. In-person discussions will help you work things out. You need to be prepared for almost anything. It could be 120F, or 30F at night. There might be 12 hour dust storms with so much dust you cannot see your hand. or it could rain. Or, it is warm enough at night to run around naked... The altitude and lack of humidity beats most of us up. This alone makes Burning Man a survival experience. Of course it is completely doable, plan for the worst - hope for the best. (It is a lot easier to just grab that extra blanket than it is to wish you had one).

Your experience at burning man is what you make it. Please give yourselves a chance to accumulate to the environment and then explore. If you see someone that needs a hand, just help. If there is something you think needs to be done, do it... Bring some gloves. Tools if you are comfortable using them. Give a hug if someone looks like they need it. Sometimes a complement will change someone's day.

See ya on the playa....
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby trilobyte » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:16 am

Giving this a nudge to the Share Resources board.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi playla_wook!

Here's two great threads about RVs at Burning Man. You're wise not to want more than 1-2 others in there with you.

Exp. RVers: Suggestions for House rules for renting an RV
viewtopic.php?t=34551

Keeping the RV dust-free (well, as dust-free as possible)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46062
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby playla_wook » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks savannah! Those are extremely helpful, definitely useful info that I wouldn't have thought of myself.
playla_wook

Postby hobgoblin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi there! We are three 28 year olds from the UK, 2 girls and a guy (one of whom has been to BM before, and two first timers). We have got a double bed free in our RV and are looking for 2 extra people to share costs. Is yours already booked and confirmed?
hobgoblin

Postby playla_wook » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:47 am

Hi Hobgoblin, yes our RV is already booked and confirmed, deposit paid etc. Thanks for the offer though! Are you guys joining a theme camp, or going solo?
playla_wook

Postby lotuskoidragon » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 am

I am also a first timer and very excited. I am 52 years old and live in Indianapolis. I don't know what route you are taking to get to Black Rock, so don't know if I could ride all the way with you, or if that is even what you are looking for. I have my own transportation to the playa if needed. What would you want to know about me? You can friend me on face book if you like, Karen Jensen, Indianapolis. Or you can email me at karenejensen (at) gmail (dot) com. Whatever works for you.

[Cell number removed, please PM the user for her cell number if needed. Thanks, Savannah]
lotuskoidragon

Postby playla_wook » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi Karen! Sorry I am just now seeing this post. I'll friend you on fb and then maybe we can set up a time to chat! Thanks for your response!
playla_wook

Postby cbonk » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:59 am

HI,
I just saw this post last night. I too am a virgin burner. I was also fortunate enough to get two tickets to this year's burn. I also put money down on an RV, but I'm having a difficult time trying to get friends etc to take time out of their lives for the burn. Since it's sold out, I now doubt that anyone I know will pay the elevated prices.

Anyway, I'm now exploring the possibility of joining people like yourselves, who have an RV and a plan. Currently it's just me, but I do know of one friend who might buy my other ticket. She went in 2010, stayed in a tent and doesn't want to do that again.

We are both based out of Chicago. I'm an Illustrator, 3D artist and motion graphics artist at an ad agency and former front man of a band back in the 90's. I've traveled quite a bit (was just in Bora Bora last year) and now look forward to something completely different. I have attended Chicago Burning events. Though I'm older than you all, I'm very young at heart. Having said that, I do pace myself these days. Ha!

I'd be interested in sharing expenses with you both (and possibly my female friend) if you so feel inclined? I'm thinking I might just fly out to Reno or SF and rent a car and meet you there?

Where do we go from here? Facebook? Email?

Thanks

Christopher
cbonk

Postby playa_wookie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 am

We are back on the hunt for people to share our space with us. We are looking for 1-2 people to share our space with and help us share the expenses. It's looking like we're coming to a total of ~$3k for the whole shebang. That includes all gas(estimated), generator usage, cleaning, etc...Do the math...even split by the number of people in the RV. A lot of people have inquired, but balk at the price. It's not cheap. Looking for a couple of like-minded, laid back people to come hang out w/ us. It would be ideal if you wanted to rendezvous with us in Sacramento and ride to the playa with us. That would be best case scenario. Private message me or Playla.
playa_wookie

Postby mrjiv » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:08 am

Hi, I am 32, from India, but lived all over...(Boston, NYC, London, Singapore)...this will be my first BM. I got lucky with tickets, and am looking to join an RV..please email me with details and costs.

tushar@volte.in
mrjiv

Postby Dimath » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:36 am

Hello!

I don't need a place to live on playa, but I need a ride there. That can further decrease you price. I don't have many things with me either, so, just a space for myself...

About myself: M/31yo, originally from Russia, working in space physics.

So, let me know if this will work! Thanks in advance!
Dimath

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Moop » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:47 am

Hi _ I am looking to rent an RV this summer - however they are all sold out. I have been going to the burn a long time and live nearby in Los Angeles.Will you pm me, please? Talking in person or emailing offline works best for me. Thanks.
Moop

Postby iv040908 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:43 am

Hi my name is Igor, I'm looking for the ride also, but i leave in NYC, How ever can take a plane or ride to any met up location.. I'm really outgoing person, who likes adventures and fun... please reply...
iv040908

Postby Moop » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:44 pm

Still looking for an RV soul mate?
I am still looking for an RV. I have a camp too. I would LOVE a bed with walls around it and a shower and happy to meet new people and make new friends. And of course introduce you to my pals, and they will be so very happy to meet you too.

Dorrit
Moop

Postby Big Dennis » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:12 am

I am interested in sharing the cost with you. I'm a photographer too ! Give me a ring Dennis 858-722-5573 San Diego
Big Dennis

Return to 2012 Share Resources