Virgin Burner from Alaska!

Start here - tell us about yourself and what brings you to ePlaya.
nucleartigerlily
Burning Since: 2012

Virgin Burner from Alaska!

Post by nucleartigerlily » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Howdy all, I guess this is the first step in immersing oneself in the organized chaos that seems to be Bman (at least from my point of view!)... This will be my first year making it to Burning Man, I don't know how I got so fortunate to be blessed with a ticket, but I'm going to try and take full advantage of this opportunity! I'll be travelling solo, coming down from Shambhala festival in B.C. and hopefully ping-ponging the west coast a little bit in between the two festivals... and then a little bit more on my meandering way back up to the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska.

Things I enjoy: backcountry skiing, intelligent debate/discussion/discourse, travelling, meeting new people, playing dress up...

Things I enjoy but miss: The time to read!, laying on the pavement in the middle of summer in Virginia, being able to drive an hour and go to a great party almost any night...

Things I look forward to: Fighting the dust-storms and thirst like a champ on the Playa, watching out for wormsign, perhaps running around reciting some of Didis' parts from Waiting for Godot...

I know this was a brief introduction, and that's all that was really intended, I guess! Hullo!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Virgin Burner from Alaska!

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Welcome.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi Nucleartigerlily! The list of things you enjoy sound quite compatible with the Burn. (Okay, I've never seen skiing there, but there IS a Black Rock City Snowshoe team.)

So . . . welcome, & read the Survival Guide linked in my post here, if you haven't yet, and enjoy the many ePlaya threads about burning well. If you don't see a topic covered, google a keyword plus the keyword eplaya and choose "more from eplaya" to narrow it down to this site (our search function is not as mighty as google's). People here love to share their knowledge, but they're nicer about when they can tell you've been digging first. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:20 pm

Don't fight the dust...be one with it...

Have a blast!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

nucleartigerlily
Burning Since: 2012

Post by nucleartigerlily » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Thank you, thank you! Yes, I shall try to diligently read and research! What a lovely welcoming committee!

P.S. unrelated, after much thought last night, I just can't do Didi or anything from Waiting for Godot alone. It just wouldn't be right. Hmm, I'll rethink this.

savonarola

Post by savonarola » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:02 pm

ANOTHER Shambhala warrior making the trip to the playa i see!!!

My mrs. and I will be hitting both up this summer as well but we'll be working in the middle. (Gonna be hard enough getting back into the grind i couldn't imagine taking whole month off!!)

Are you going to be pairing up with a camp, fellow shambhalites or taking it solo? I know there will be many "Shamburners" this year but i am not sure if anyone is throwing together a rag tag camp or not.
Summertime, if I was getting paid
For getting drunk and getting laid.
I'd grab a phone just to call you up and say
"Quit your job, cause I got it made
"
~The Dandy Warhols

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Kelly

Post by Elderberry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
Elderberry

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 am

I'll take intelligent intercourse over discourse any day.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:47 am

For those of us who live in locals that get snow, snow storms, etc, the dust storms are kind of like a blizzard - but warm. It boils down to intensity and duration. Sometimes you get a 1 minute white-out, other times the dust blows for 3 (5, 7, 12) hours. A good dust storm is when you can barely see your elbow :)

As long as you make sure your camp is secure (everything tent is staked down, nothing lying around that could blow away) you have it 2/3 under control. For yourself, always have a set of goggles and a dust mask (bandanna?) to deal with the ever-present possibility of a dust storm. I have a backpack with water, snack, meds, goggles, dust-mask, gloves, knife, flashlight, headlamp, spare batteries, a pad of paper, pen, lighter, condoms, etc...

Nothing is better than sitting out a major dust storm with friends and a G&T ...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:00 pm

nucleartigerlily wrote:Things I look forward to: ... watching out for wormsign, ...
Don't worry, you wont need your Thumper, the big sound camps take care of that!

And welcome to eplaya!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Welcome. Bring a moose.
"aw shucks.." - Eric

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Holy crap Virgins are coming out of the woodwork!

And welcome!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:24 pm

It's 'cause bluesbob is catching up on several month's worth of Greeting. :D
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “The Greeter's Station”