Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

Postby brody » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi, all.

This thread is a connection point for Virgins and experienced Burners to connect (based on my recent blog post: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/03/part ... an-virgin/)

If you want to adopt a Virgin, or be Adopted, post here, and connect with each other! It might be helpful to include your city/state of residence, although it's totally easy to adopt or be adopted by someone not local.

Thanks for participating!
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)
brody

Burning Since: 2004

Re: Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Speaking for yourself, when did you first feel comfortable listing your location by city on the eplaya?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby LegendZero » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:14 am

Putting ourselves up for adoption, we are three guys trying to make our way home.

We have some means, time, and an endless desire and energy to participate. we could use a seasoned voice that only experience can provide.

We are located in the east part of Phoenix Arizona. Two of us will be out at the Saguaro man regional burn.
I don't know what else to include here but I will answer any questions that come my way
LegendZero

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:39 am

Check your PM LZ!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby delle » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:55 am

Ooooooooooooooh.

Something tells me LZ is three wildly lucky guys!!!
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby tamarakay » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:04 am

delle wrote:Ooooooooooooooh.

Something tells me LZ is three wildly lucky guys!!!

yup yup. don't get much better than figgy.

Currently I have four virgins joining my little camp. And since I"m a relative newbie with just the one burn that's my limit lol. I'm still picking the brains of anyone who sits still long enough.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:11 am

Allow me add that Figgy is a prime example of how in no way can we assume on any level that this new influx of burgins will be a detractor in the least. In just a very short time, Mr Jam has contributed SO MUCH to this community both on and off eplaya that it's amazing. I can't count how many picture perfect orange swamp coolers I counted last year blasting cold air into yurts. All I could do is smile.

Let's teach 'em right, kiddos. They're the future of this thing.

..and props and mad love to you, Figgy.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby delle » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:38 am

Most definitely.

It doesn't get much better than the Jammer for good advice.....

And he's dam fun to adopt too. :D

He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:52 am

You know, this might actually have some merit, so I think I'll toss my hat into the ring as well. I'd be willing to "adopt a birgin" from the Auburn-Newcastle-Meadow Vista area. Must be over 21. Ass kissing not a requirement.

PROS: Being able to pick the brain of a 13-year veteran. Being able to assist with the construction of a mutant vehicle. Being invited to the pre-playa-party in Newcastle to meet up with 50+ other burners in the general area. Being introduced to a number of theme camps (for example: Barbie Death Camp, Burntown, Camp Inspiratum, 7 Sins Lounge, Kindergarten Kamp).

CONS: Having to put up with the likes of me.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 am

I treasure this, but I don't wear it cause there's no pocket. :lol:

All I'm doing is getting these first timers to stop scurrying in all directions and get them scurrying toward some specific goals for their week in the desert. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:27 am

if anyone is near me in Grass Valley/Nevada City, I'm always willing to help and advise.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 am

I am in Tamara's same situation, having 4 newbs to organize here :P so, all I will say is, if none of you folks can get up to Grass Valley to take advantage of Ygmir's offer, I have here for you the condensed version of Ygmir's great wisdom:

IPBA: It'll Probably Be Alright.

This advice neatly dovetails with the warning on the back of your ticket:

You May Die.

:D :D :D

But you probably won't.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby tamarakay » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 am

That is my favorite MyDearFriend post ever. lol
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby illy dilly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 am

MyDearFriend wrote:I am in Tamara's same situation, having 4 newbs to organize here :P so, all I will say is, if none of you folks can get up to Grass Valley to take advantage of Ygmir's offer, I have here for you the condensed version of Ygmir's great wisdom:

You both are going to love it!
Last year, our ratio was 5 experienced to 13 Virgins (I think, I feel like I'm forgetting someone)!
And it was even the first year of our theme camp, and Virgins were awesome!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby brody » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:56 am

Please remember also, you don't need to be in the same physical location to adopt or be adopted. It can all happen via email, even. I've adopted virgins in the past, who were across the country. Lots of emails, a care package mailed, etc. :-)

Thanks to everyone who is jumping in and participating!
-------------------------------
(cold hands, warm bacon)
brody

Burning Since: 2004

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:33 am

MyDearFriend wrote:IPBA: It'll Probably Be Alright.

This advice neatly dovetails with the warning on the back of your ticket:

You May Die.

:D :D :D

But you probably won't.

tamarakay wrote:That is my favorite MyDearFriend post ever. lol

There's just so much perfect truth in it.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby deidretastic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Hey there! I am a Burning man virgin from Vancouver, BC Canada, anxiously waiting to hear back as to whether or not I will be afforded a low-income ticket. I have been stressing for months now from the lottery to STEP, I know this is my year. I am a 21 year old student, hopefully coming with two friends who are waiting to hear back as well. We are avid festival goers who would be more than happy to contribute to an amazing theme camp. We are super enthusiastic about getting involved on the playa, making memorie and spreading joy, love and compassion for others. Thanks!
deidretastic

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:13 pm

deidretastic wrote:Hey there! I am a Burning man virgin from Vancouver, BC Canada, anxiously waiting to hear back as to whether or not I will be afforded a low-income ticket. I have been stressing for months now from the lottery to STEP, I know this is my year. I am a 21 year old student, hopefully coming with two friends who are waiting to hear back as well. We are avid festival goers who would be more than happy to contribute to an amazing theme camp. We are super enthusiastic about getting involved on the playa, making memorie and spreading joy, love and compassion for others. Thanks!

well, welcome!!
you've taken a good (IMHO) first step, in joining the merry band of brigands, here, on eplaya.

so some reading of the materials on the BM main site.
and then read them again.
There are tons of threads here to answer most any question.
Some find google searching for terms, better than the search feature here: "best tent for the playa, eplaya" or some similar configuration for google.

and please, do your homework!! Asking obvious, or easily answered questions here, can at time elicit heavy snark.........you'll probably get an answer, but, it may be abrasive.

Good luck
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby wilder » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Greeting~ I am SO grateful to have found this post. My partner and I were somehow awarded tickets in the lottery... which is miraculous, i know, seeing as absolutely not one of our friends (some seasoned burners, some virgins) received tickets.

We realize how lucky we are to have these two tickets.
We want to participate and create.

I reached out to our regional email list, and sent out a similar message... received some 'pats on the back' for being a good virgin and reaching out... but nobody responded with a 'COME HELP US!' Soooooo here we are.

I am 23. My husband is 25. We are currently (and unfortunately) in Tacoma, WA. We have a 2 1/2 yr old daughter (who will not be burning with us). We enjoy bass culture, traveling to festivals, music, people, food, nature..... aaaaaaand i'm going to stop because I feel like i'm placing an add on craigslist looking for a secret lover.

To get down to it, we'd love to be adopted. You can be near or far... we'd love and thoroughly appreciate your guidance.
wilder

Postby LegendZero » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:41 pm

A HUGE thank you to Figjam! We are beyond excited and absolutely gonna bring the A game.
LegendZero

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 pm

This is a great idea! Not planning to go this year. But have brought about 5 virgins (all friends or friends of friends though) over the years and it was great for all. International virgins are great to adopt too.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby graidawg » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:32 pm

last year (my virgin year) 2 other virgins kind of adopted themselves to me, which really made me reach out and get advice and help on how to do stuff so i could tell them. i am happy to offer the same service to other virgins either from the uk or elsewhere.

Or if you virgins want my advice reach out to the people on here and if you are witty/clever/loud enough they will adopt you and make sure you have a reasonably good chance of survival.

after all what could possibly go wrong :)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby insomnivore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:52 pm

FIGJAM wrote:All I'm doing is getting these first timers to stop scurrying in all directions and get them scurrying toward some specific goals for their week in the desert. 8)

You could start a burner boot camp! 20 push-ups for every time you use the term "guy line" or "generator" in a positive manner!

I need to get back in shape anyway...
insomnivore

Postby playla_wook » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:39 am

Putting 2 burgins up for adoption! My husband and I are so ridiculously excited for our first burn, we peed our pants. I'm really glad to have found this post, we'd LOVE to be adopted and have some experienced Burner's guidance. Please pick us! :)

We live in Atlanta, GA, both 28. He's a freelance photographer and I'm a graphic designer. Fun-loving, totally laid back, happy people.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

xoxo, ayla
playla_wook

Burning Since: 2012

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:33 am

graidawg wrote:last year (my virgin year) 2 other virgins kind of adopted themselves to me, which really made me reach out and get advice and help on how to do stuff so i could tell them. i am happy to offer the same service to other virgins either from the uk or elsewhere.

Or if you virgins want my advice reach out to the people on here and if you are witty/clever/loud enough they will adopt you and make sure you have a reasonably good chance of survival.

after all what could possibly go wrong :)

I hate to contradict you my very dear friend but, being neither witty, clever nor loud I have to say that all you have to do to be adopted here on eplaya is PARTICIPATE. Doesn't matter how or how much, even, as long as you are sincere. Which is the fundamental premise of citizenship in BRC, too, so...

Yeah. The first step is always: SHOW UP :lol:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 am

insomnivore wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:All I'm doing is getting these first timers to stop scurrying in all directions and get them scurrying toward some specific goals for their week in the desert. 8)

You could start a burner boot camp! 20 push-ups for every time you use the term "guy line" or "generator" in a positive manner!

I need to get back in shape anyway...

Now now, guylines and generators have their place, just not at my place! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:02 am

I'll step up here and will be happy to adopt a birgin in the NYC region (I'm on Long Island).

Although I don't have many burns behind me like some of the other volunteers, I do have substantial building / crafting skills and enough experience to help prepare you mentally for BRC (or as prepared as you can get - no amount of words will prepare you 100% for the experience).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:16 am

I may be sponsoring overseas burners this year, but I've not heard much from who supposedly needs a spot. I think the communication via third party is falling through the cracks.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby davink » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:53 pm

This blog post just made me really reconsider trying harder to get a ticket. 3rd time's a charm? LOL
davink

Postby captainjackmeghan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi, my name is megHAN. I am from northern California and currently reside in Humboldt County. I am a student a HSU and unfortunately there is no way I can afford to make the trek but if the stars aline I am hoping to. I believe I am finally ready for the Burn and have a lot to offer for the journey. I am a Burning Man virgin and would like this year to be the year that I pop my cherry, but being in school I thought was a sign that it was just not meant to be. ALAS..a burning man Facebook post led me here. If anyone is interested in adopting me please e-mail me at mbm276 (at) humboldt (dot) edu. Thanks so much,

ME
captainjackmeghan

Next

Return to Get Involved!