Deprogramming Burning Man of wood over the years ahead

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby robotland » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:54 am

Maybe we should make a huge, man-shaped compost pile and then just stare at it for a week. It WOULD put out a lotta heat.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:56 am

'stine wrote:Ya know, it would be cool if we became the beetles and during the first few days of the event we each plastered our burnable contributions to a frame. Paper mache wouldn't be polluting, right?

Is shellac the substance you were referring to? Shellac, as the word is commonly used, refers to all forms of purified lac - a natural resin secreted by the tiny lac insect on certain trees, principally in India and Thailand.
Actually, Bob A got right to the heart of it with his question of what the beetles would want.
My beetles were pure and total Kuhsheiss. Shellac was a back of the mind inspiration (and btw, thanks for the full story, I'd never heard it in that detail before) but mostly it was pulling at Felicity for not having bothered with any sort of counter suggestion. I was trying to think of what the most ludicrious, PITA suggestion I could, which would involve a lot of work for all off us. I mean really, if Felicity had at least wanted to talk about sustainable harvest lumber. . . (Although, Bob A, I was also thinking of those sustainable butterfly harvest to save the rainforest as I invented details.)
I love some of the other suggestions too--that compost heap is wonderful in it's own way. Can you imagine the DPW coming out every evening and turning it, as it gently steams away. ARe there any phosphoresant decomposers?
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby blyslv » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:59 am

Instead of wood, what should we use for our burn-related art activities?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:00 am

blyslv wrote:Instead of wood, what should we use for our burn-related art activities?
Fossil Fuel, of course. (The Petrified Forest needs thinning. . .)
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Deprogramming Burning Man of wood over the years ahead

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:27 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Trees are pretty far down the food chain.....And they are a renewable resource.

same could be said about most hippies. Too bad they don't burn like aviation fuel... :) regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:29 am

blyslv wrote:Instead of wood, what should we use for our burn-related art activities?

Hydrogen (it's the future!)
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Desert Duck » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:35 pm

:shock: i HAVE A BETTER IDEA :idea: let's all start brewing our own hard alcohol :D so we have something to burn :twisted: when everything else is gone :?
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby Jordan 10-E » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:06 pm

We could just stop burning anything and call it "No-Burning Man".

I for one am grateful for the trees giving of themselves to bring so many people together and helping to creat such a magical place. Probably one of the best uses ever for a tree.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Badger » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:14 pm

Probably one of the best uses ever for a tree.

Maybe, but I can think of one better...

http://uk.geocities.com/osfuk/osf/treb.html
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Ancient » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:35 pm

Trees deserve to be burned. The commie bastards just lie around all day soaking up sunlight without lifting a single branch to work for their sustenance :x . That might not necessarily be cause to set them aflame, but they're invading our wilderness’ and infiltrating our neighborhoods. I look outside every day and see them planting themselves firmly in the yards of my neighbors, as they have planted in the yards of your neighbors, and they may even be right outside your window terrifying your children. We chop them down and they keep growing back, gaining the support of the Green party. Sometimes dragging their militants out to the desert and dancing naked around their warm flaming bodies is the only warning they'll understand. See any trees on the Playa? It's working. :twisted: FIGHT THE LEAFY MENACE!! GOD BLESS BURNING MAN!!
Ancient

Postby TommyTheCat » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:06 am

Badger...that is a wonderful idea for those damn pesky trees. Lets get started on it right away. I get the first ride though.....WEEEEEEEEE
I got ma ride...blargh!
TommyTheCat

Postby DangerMouse » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:15 pm

Badger wrote:Maybe, but I can think of one better...

Burning Treb?
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004

Postby DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:41 pm

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
-Jack Handy
DeadlyKungFu

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:45 pm

Badger...that is a wonderful idea for those damn pesky trees. Lets get started on it right away. I get the first ride though.....WEEEEEEEEE

You might have to get to the back of the line for that ride. I think Badger's mentioned before that it's a way of dealing with clueless ravers.
Isotopia

Postby BAS » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:23 pm

Darn! I'm clueless(*) but not a raver.... :? Maybe I could be half-heartedly launched? :(

(*) ... and, according to a small child, a knucklehead. :oops:

Darn trees! Polluting the wilderness with their dead leaves, twigs, and stuff!!! :x
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:56 am

Mark my words, simulated fire, simulated nudity. It is your future.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

more wood more fire more fuel

Postby dj big E » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:45 pm

Definately we are in need of more fire . Bigger is allways better when it come's to fire. FIRE FIRE FIRE we need more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dj big E

alternative fuel

Postby birdbrain » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:45 pm

Hemp, Hemp, and more Hemp: Giant strands of hemp made into the mega-man, the mega-temple, the whatever....and the beetle juice could be used to hold it together when knots wouldn't do...so eco-friendly and essentially non-toxic!
birdbrain

Postby arthurz » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:37 pm

We burned a big art piece filled with 5 cords of wood on Thursday night. Most of the wood came from thinning a forest to prevent forest fires. If not harvested, the wood would still have burned, whenever lightning struck. A lot more people got to enjoy the fire our way, and we'll probably do it again next year.

Now, have you thought about all the natural resources consumed and the pollution created in order to supply all the propane consumed by the event? And how long it takes to replenish propane versus wood? Maybe all fires should be wood...
We live there a week and it lives with us forever
arthurz

Postby Badger » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:52 pm

Hmmmm.... I wonder where the original poster went. Doesn't look like s/he's been back since phase 1 of the online carpet bombing.

Oh well, I wish wood was made of magnesium.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby arthurz » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:05 am

Yeah magnesium!!! Now that shit can really burn...
arthurz

Postby Simply Joel » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:48 am

speaking of burning.... thread drift... i finished the privacy fence, 108 foot across the back (north) yard... gotta a plan for a elevated burn pad and tiki torches at every post....

burn baby burn... wood, the renewable resource.
Simply Joel

To Felicity

Postby HighPriestofUranus » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:31 pm

The reason people object to your idea is that it is extremist. There is a difference between caring for the Earth and being a Playa Nazi. IMO we the people who really do care retain the right to BURN (which is central to so many of us, at least as a ritual and for many it's a much deeper spiritual event.) Burning a few large scale wooden art projects is NOTHING compared to mass overconsumption of wood products and the mass pollution that is going on around the world because of the greedy who are in power and who really DON'T care about the Earth... I think BurningMan DOES set the right example: We burn, we appreciate deeply the beauty of the elements of nature (and therefore are closer to Earth), and then we clean up.

Leave No Trace is a good motto. But in reality it is impossible for any human being to live on this planet and truly LNT. Your human waste and impact is always felt somewhere. The Earth has it's AMAZING ability to absorb a hell of a lot of shit from the various life forms it supports. IMO, the idea is to find a balance and be respectful, but not fanatical. Go fight against the rain forest depletion if you really wanna make a difference.

I plan to BURN even more wood next year. I plan to bring a sculpture made of dead trees, and some 2x4's as well. Because the industrial power structure we live within has brutally damaged the Earth way beyond what many of us feel is acceptable, does not mean I will give up my intrinsic right to be profoundly inspired by this element of nature (FIRE).

BTW, burning a gas supports fossil fuels. Burning wood happens naturally on the planet all the time.

-HPU
Man should not be in the service of Society,
Society should be in the service of man.

P.S. I'm straight
HighPriestofUranus

Burn Baby Burn!!!

Postby arthurz » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:20 pm

Yeah baby! Can't wait to see your big wood art burn!!!

One of the reasons we did a big mid-week burn this year was to inspire others to do it, and we're hoping to see big wood fires every night next year! Especially if the bulk of the wood is found, recycled, or otherwise not indirectly preventing some family from having a shelter.

We used a new playa protection method for our burn consisting of thin sheet steel over a grid of concrete cinder blocks and it worked GREAT - unlike the decomposed granite & kevlar sheet used by the other burns that eats up a huge chunk of landfill space when disposed of, our used sheet metal was carted off by an artist to create another project, and our cinder blocks were donated to DPW for use in a future burn platform or other construction project. We'll post more details on this later as it seems like a "best practices" advance and being from Silicon Valley we have this crazy need to push technologies...

Burn on!
arthurz

Burn Baby Burn!!!

Postby arthurz » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:21 pm

Yeah baby! Can't wait to see your big wood art burn!!!

One of the reasons we did a big mid-week burn this year was to inspire others to do it, and we're hoping to see big wood fires every night next year! Especially if the bulk of the wood is found, recycled, or otherwise not indirectly preventing some family from having a shelter.

We used a new playa protection method for our burn consisting of thin sheet steel over a grid of concrete cinder blocks and it worked GREAT - unlike the decomposed granite & kevlar sheet used by the other burns that eats up a huge chunk of landfill space when disposed of, our used sheet metal was carted off by an artist to create another project, and our cinder blocks were donated to DPW for use in a future burn platform or other construction project. We'll post more details on this later as it seems like a "best practices" advance and being from Silicon Valley we have this crazy need to push technologies...

Burn on!
arthurz

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy