This makes me so sick!!

All things outside of Burning Man.

This makes me so sick!!

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 am

I don't know if anyone else has read this today, But it came up on my facebook posts. The comments on here just make me want to cry. How can people be so judgmental and think they can run peoples lives and that they are holler then thou? I hope some day we will live in a word where people don't judge and people are free to live how ever they want as long as it does not cause harm to another. This is a prime reason why BM needs to be bigger and gain traction to help combat the hate in the world and teach acceptance.

http://www.facebook.com/abcnews/posts/242977609132531
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Re: This makes me so sick!!

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:. How can people be so judgmental and think they can run peoples lives and that they are holler then thou? I hope some day we will live in a word where people don't judge

At an event that exists solely on judging people?
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:38 pm

true, but I was talking more about the comments on that facebook post. Of people being judgmental of her changing genders.
tattoogoddess

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I agree with Bounce - outrage about folks being judgemental at an event which is all about judging people seems misplaced.

I am pretty accepting of all people and admittedly many of those FB comments were intended to be hurtful, but according to the original article she previously competed in a trans gender pageant. Why no outrage that non trans genders were not eligible for that? It is a sword that cuts in both directions.

Or should they just homogenize all pageants into on one and call it a people pageant?
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:04 pm

Im not talking about the pageant at all. I am talking about the comments left. I understand the pageant people saying no (even though there was no claus in the papers she had to sign so that is fucked up) but I am only talking about what people have said. Such as it is wrong to have a sex change and that she is some how a bad person for doing it ect ect.
tattoogoddess

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Beauty pageants and contests are by their very nature judgmental events that encourage people to rally and cheer for their personal subjective choices. A big part of that culture involves and even takes pleasure at taking shots at all other candidates. And given the popularity of TV talent show judges who say mean things about contestants, it should come as neither a surprise nor a disappointment to see fans and followers being judgmental or saying negative, hurtful things.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Mojojita » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Ah TG, you are such a sweet, starry-eyed Newb. I love your enthusiasm - keeps it fresh for me. BUT, having Burning Man get bigger does not really have the effect of combating hate or promoting acceptance. In fact, the playa can be a very judgmental place as we escape a lot of the social mores that limit rude behavior in defaultia. You will see what I mean the first time you walk by somebody having fun with a bullhorn. Or when you see your first game of "make a college girl cry". Closed minds and thin skin are a difficult thing to live with there. There are lots of ways to get hurt out there - so protect yourself with your own acceptance of even the assholes.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Mojojita » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:42 pm

One more quick note....people who take the time to make negative comments about this sort of thing really need to get a life. Consider the source. Twice yesterday I found myself walking away from people spouting what I believe to be complete stupidity. There are times to stand and fight for what you believe, and times to walk away. Letting these people get you twisted up won't do anyone any good, and may be just the reaction that they want.
Mojojita

Postby International Incident » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:22 pm

When I read internet comments it, many times, makes me cry.

Some people have to leave nasty messages, and be horrible human beings. They do it to provoke people and cause trouble. In real life they would be wimps.

I'm learning, like Mojito, to just walk away (from the keyboard).

Fuck the haters.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Mojojita-

I guess maybe I am Neive. But from what i have seen the burners I have talked to have been great. This is a prime example- My dad had a major heart attack 2 sundays ago. I posted on facebook about it. ALL my burner friends posted comments about how sorry they where. Only one person I know in the default world posted something. I have like 500 people on there and know most of them. Kinda sad.
tattoogoddess

Postby AntiM » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:57 pm

My interpretation: Most of the burners here are terrific. On the playa, most of us are terrific. But there's always some jerk, or someone in a different headspace, and because you've come to love this batch of burners, one assclown can hurt you deeply, more deeply than you'd think possible.

Drunk emcee at Alien Love Nest made me cry one year. She had no clue she was being an ass, but her cutting remark hurt me. Most of the time, I'd ignore such things, but on the playa, otherwise bathed in love, it seemed sharper.

Most of the time I don't bother with online comments. People can be damn stupid. Even here I am selective about whose posts I see. Sometimes you have to choose what you let in, and when.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Mojojita » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:25 pm

I don't think you are naive at all - just want you to be aware that there is a lot of artistic self expression, whether you may or may not think it rises to the level of being "artistic". It is often sarcastic, edgy, and usually pretty funny if you leave political correctness out of the mix. For example, one of the best afternoons I have ever had on playa was drinking the "medical waste" at Self Abortion Camp - they had jello shots shaped like fetuses (and were delicious). Even Barbie Death Camp has raised some hackles over the years.

Like I said, there are times I will stand up - but I pick my battles carefully. I won't get my knickers in a twist worrying about a bunch of rednecks on the internet.
Mojojita

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 am

Don't give them the power to change the way you feel.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Open Discussion