Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Black Rock Country Club Project for 2012

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Merged all the posts and moved it all to Art & Performance, since it looks like this is more a plan for a placed art project on the open playa that's looking for help.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club

Postby moonrise » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:12 pm

coreyrosen wrote:The vision for the Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club is something the participant will see from blocks and blocks away. Our dream location would be at the edge of the city at the top of the 3. As the resident of Black Rock City approaches the entrance to the golf course, they will see a large enclosed tent structure with a double door entryway that would resemble a country club. Once inside, they will be greeted at the front desk by our Country Club Concierge. Once a tee time has been scheduled, they are welcome to move into the adjoining tent which will be a clubhouse bar and lounge called The Tenth Hole. Here, participants can bring their camping cups and get it filled with one traditional golf course drink, Bloody Marys in the A.M. and Gin and Tonics in the P.M. If the participant is coming for their tee time, the front desk will provide each person with two clubs, one iron and one putter, one LED golf ball, one square foot of turf to hit from, and a scorecard. Once the group has all their equipment, they open the door out onto the course and are hit with a visually stunning landscape of multi colored putting greens and amazing bright artwork to act as hazards during the round of play. The visual image we are hoping to give is a full size par 3 nine hole golf course in the desert with flaming windmills and amazing visual art hazards resembling a miniature golf course.

We are looking for anyone who wants to be a part of this amazing art project for Burning Man. We wll need lots of pre-planning assistance, golf course volunteers, work camp volunteers, and most importantly Artists who would lke to build a hazard for this unque golf course. If you would like to assist or know someone who would, email BRMGC@yahoo.com. The website for the project should be up by November 1st. http://www.BRMGC.info If you have any questons, please feel free to post them here. If you want to help, please email us. See you out on the links.

This is the intro to the second thread. Well said!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:30 pm

:::shudders at the thought of a full size nine hole course on the playa:::
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Just curious how you would keep wanderers from getting clobbered with a ball? A traditional golf course is rather obvious with the fareways, greens etc. How will you mark it so that I don't get beaned as I go biking out to see what I can find in the deep playa?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby coreyrosen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:52 pm

The golf course will have a fence around it. It will only be three feet high, but if anyone wants to jump over the fence and venture onto the golf course, they take the risk. The fairways will be marked by surveyor flags topped with an LED. We cant stop anyone from going onto the golf course, just like no one can stop people from walking into random camps. We will mark everything.
coreyrosen

Re: Black Rock Country Club Project for 2012

Postby coreyrosen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:58 pm

How about something like those foam floor tiles you see in warehouses?

I LOVE THE FOAM IDEA! I have been looking into it and it will probably be cheaper too. The Astroturf was looking to be about $1.50 a square ft. The tiles are looking like I can get them in bulk for .50 a sq. ft.

Endeavor
coreyrosen

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:05 pm

well, i actually have a couple of those, if I remember between here and home I'll have my son smack a couple of balls into the pasture from one and let you know how it goes.

tamarakay

Postby coreyrosen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:10 pm

[quote="tamarakay"]well, i actually have a couple of those, if I remember between here and home I'll have my son smack a couple of balls into the pasture from one and let you know how it goes.[/quote]

Actually, we will use those for the putting greens. The entire course will be a big sand trap accept for the putting greens and the art hazards.
coreyrosen

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:31 pm

As putting greens they should be spectacular.
I wish you well on your project.

tamarakay

Postby Playa+Tom » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:57 pm

For several years my friend Doug Keister organised the Lucifer's Anvil Self Invitational Golf Tournament on the playa. He had a permit from BLM and painted (using some kind of biodegradable paint) 18 holes on the desert. The holes included "Freeway Hole" which was two lanes of replica asphalt and included some roadkill, and "Living Room Hole" which was a furnished living room complete with couch, coffee table and carpet. His course could be adapted to "Flaming Windmill Hole" or "Sodomy Hole." A putting course would be very practical, the holes could range from 25 to 100 yards which would be longer than the typical Putt Putt type course but would allow an interesting variety of hazards.
Playa+Tom

Postby 48_love » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Just a minor detail ... a Municipal Golf Course wouldn't typically have a related Country Club. They are really two different animals of the golf kingdom.

The Muni is filled with hackers in tank tops and cutoffs.

The CC is filled with hackers in polo shirts and khakis.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:51 pm

So ours will have shirt cockers and unicorns.

tamarakay

Postby coreyrosen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:21 pm

The website is up. Everyone checkout www.BRMGC.info for updates and information on this golf course as the project comes together.
coreyrosen

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:13 pm

tamarakay wrote:Just curious how you would keep wanderers from getting clobbered with a ball? A traditional golf course is rather obvious with the fareways, greens etc. How will you mark it so that I don't get beaned as I go biking out to see what I can find in the deep playa?

How do you keep a blow-away tent from ruining your week?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby tamarakay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
tamarakay wrote:Just curious how you would keep wanderers from getting clobbered with a ball? A traditional golf course is rather obvious with the fareways, greens etc. How will you mark it so that I don't get beaned as I go biking out to see what I can find in the deep playa?

How do you keep a blow-away tent from ruining your week?

i bring an airstream. :wink:

tamarakay

Postby Hedy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:09 am

I'm happy to report that Putt Putt Playa will be making its return after a two year hiatus! Hopefully located on the 8:00 side, a complement to the BRMGCaCC : )

[/img]
1451679614_efe577c0d7.jpg
1451679614_efe577c0d7.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
Hedy

Postby coreyrosen » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:50 am

We will happily support you as a sister camp and course... Thank you.

Endeavor
coreyrosen

Postby coreyrosen » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:25 pm

This would be an excellent addition to the Black Rock Municipal Golf Course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0hGyKV9qs
coreyrosen

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:04 am

coreyrosen wrote:This would be an excellent addition to the Black Rock Municipal Golf Course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B0hGyKV9qs

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Dewey » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:29 am

I can't wait to see this happen. Love golf at home and I have always secretly wanted real golf on the Playa. I may have some extra clubs to donate as well.
2k7 Booty Resin Space Camp (7 and J)
2k8 Emerald City Sound Camp (2 and D)
2k9 Camp John The Jew (8 and C)
2k12 ITS ON BABY!!!!
Dewey

material donations needed for playa art project

Postby Lex-Leo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Hello, my name is Lex-leo, 2012 will be my first year attending Burning Man and I intend to do it right. I've volunteered to create art for the Black Rock Municipal Golf Course and Country Club. My idea is rather simple, I'm making larger than life sized silhoette's of burners in action to cheer you on, and talk smack to you while you are on hole number four. Here's how I plan to do it (I've already made 1 silhoette) I'm going to Burning man related functions all over northern california, and even one in southern california, taking still pictures of people posing in thier finest playa wear, Carefully cut the out the outline of each person, place this ouline in front of a spotlight and size the shadow to fit the plywood. Trace each outline onto the plywood and then cut out with a jigsaw. I will then take these semi complete silhoettes to future Burning man regional events and ask the community to paint and decorate each one. I plan to add dry erase thought/ talk bubbles to some if not all the silhoettes, so as you play hole 4 you can leave messages for the next golfers to see. Each silhoette will be lit with either EL wire, or LED lights for nightime play.
Now that you have an idea of what I'm trying to create, I will explain what I still need to make this possible.
1: I need 12+ 4x8 sheets of plywood, minimum 3/8ths thick or thicker, used is ok. I have enough plywood on hand for 8 silhoettes, I would like to make a minimum of 20 though.
2: I need 60 18inch or longer Rebar stakes.
3: I need all different colors of paint the brighter the better, If you have partial cans in your shed that you could part with that would be great.
4: I need 10 10ft strands of battery powered EL wire all different colors
5: I need 10 10ft strands of Battery Powered LED lights all different colors
6: I need 400 aa batteries.
Any help aquiring all these items is greatly appreciated. I'm located in stockton ca, If you are within 200 miles and would like to make a donation please message me on eplaya, or email me at ScaledCowboy@yahoo.com
Thankyou for reading,
Lex-leo
MORE DUBSTEP PLEASE!
Lex-Leo

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Zondernaam

Re: material donations needed for playa art project

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Maybe if you posted a picture of the one you have completed, that might create interest in the project.
Some people might care about whether the batteries are single use or rechargeable.
Would you accept completed sillouettes?
How are you doing the dry-erase thought bubble?
Be sure to foolproof against an aggressive fool.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lex-Leo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Here is a picture of a completed silhoette that was painted at Nevada City Burnal Equinox. This is a "burner family" silhoette. So far I have made 6 silhoettes, 5 were completed at nevada city burnal equinox, i have materials to make 4 more. I'm still in need of everything on the list so if anyone can help please let me know. Thankyou
Attachments
tapan.jpg
tapan.jpg (156.04 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
tapan silhoette.jpg
tapan silhoette.jpg (161.29 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
MORE DUBSTEP PLEASE!
Lex-Leo

Re: material donations needed for playa art project

Postby Lex-Leo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Maybe if you posted a picture of the one you have completed, that might create interest in the project.
Some people might care about whether the batteries are single use or rechargeable.
Would you accept completed sillouettes?
How are you doing the dry-erase thought bubble?
Be sure to foolproof against an aggressive fool.

Above are before and after pictures, minus the thought bubbles. I plan to use diy dry erase material that comes on a ready to use roll. i will make the bubbles out of plywood and then glue the dry erase material to it.
MORE DUBSTEP PLEASE!
Lex-Leo

Postby tamarakay » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 pm

I really like those. It would be fun to have something like that sitting out in our pasture. Oh! Maybe a dinosaur or two!
Seriously though, If I come up with some extra cash i'll shoot some too you. These are fun.

tamarakay

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance