First timer from Arizona

First timer from Arizona

Postby insomnivore » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Greetings Burning Man community! My Name is Nathan. I live in Phoenix, Arizona and 2012 will be my first year as a burner!

I first heard about Burning Man from my ex-fiance's uncle, who attended several years ago and had nothing short of amazing tales. We told ourselves we would go, but as with many things between us, it wasn't meant to be. Fast forward a few years to the Caribbean, while aboard a cruise ship I made a few friends from Germany who were talking about going, and I thought to myself "why not". When I got back home, I immediately signed up for a ticket and was lucky enough to be selected. Sadly, my German friends opted not to go, so once again I'm jumping into the unknown all by myself :)

A little bit about me - I'm 22 (will be 23 by the burn), of a taoist mentality, a mechanic, and am just barely starting to get out and see all the wonderful things and wonderful people this world has to offer. These past few weeks of lurking e-playa and reading blogs and survival guides has turned my initial, uneducated, impression of Burning Man being a "week long art party" into something completely different, and so much more. It's so refreshing to find there are people out there who perhaps think and feel similar, and that we all have a way to come together as a community. I would love to meet up with local burners and help with their projects, preparation, and hopefully learn a thing or two myself before the big event. I would also love to know if there is anybody out there who's looking for an extra hand on the playa itself, I'm one of those weird people (well, maybe not so weird here :P ) that believe giving is it's own reward, and maybe along the way I'll make a few friends and be able to extend my experience beyond the playa :D

Thank you all for welcoming me!
Nathan
insomnivore

Re: First timer from Arizona

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi Nathan!

Mechanics are very exciting people to know out there on the playa! Yes, please do come in . . .

You might be able to meet some local Burners here:
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_az.html

Glad you've been doing your reading. Here are some random tips: Get some electrolyte tablets or powder and consume the hell out of it. Don't forget to eat. A detergent container makes a nice pee bottle for night, entrance or exodus. Bring a backpack or messenger bag for snacks, water, sunscreen and goggles etc, in case your quick trip out to the 'Man takes a funny turn and you don't return to camp for 8 hours, 'cause this will probably happen at least once. If you are bad with directions, sharpie your address on your hand to the nearest "5 minutes". Have a lot of sharpies anyway; your ballpoints may clog. Always have your cup with you.

Don't expect your life to be changed or to have an amaaaaaazing time . . . because you might hate it. Anything may happen. That's the exciting part.

Welcome . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Savannah wrote:Always have your cup with you.

And your towel...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby insomnivore » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks Savannah, I've signed up for the AZ discussion boards so with any luck I'll be able to connect with some locals! I'm definitely glad I read up in advance for this, my original packing list wasn't even half of the bare essentials. I still don't think I'll be anywhere near prepared, but with so many other new people out there, I'm definitely bringing extra for others who might not have planned ahead.

Definitely going to leave my expectations at the door though, as best I can anyway. Things rarely turn out the way you expect them to, it's more important to enjoy the time you have with what you're given :)
insomnivore

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Welcome Nathan from another virgin:-) While expectations are made to be broken, I believe that when one expects to have a good time, we are more prone to having a good time:-) Hope nothing at Burning Man disappoints you!!!
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby Elderberry » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!