AUX/House VW Power System

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

AUX/House VW Power System

Postby Saguache » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Howdy Folks,

I've been trying to get on top of my AUX electrical system recently and could use some help from folks who have more experience and perhaps know how in this area. The AUX battery is already in place, the battery tender is there as well. I'm trying to design the circuits which will power sub-systems down range of the battery and I've outlined how I think it might work best below.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanityfactory/6993673765/sizes/l/in/photostream/]Image
[/url]
I may include a 7th circuit to power some light duty fans I have in Zeno as well. You can see that the power is distributed from a common line from the battery and fusible link and then returned via a common BUS to the battery as ground.

Below is a short list of parts, take a look and tell me if I'm smoking crack or if you think this will work.

Image DB Link ANL 150 150 Amp ANL Fuse - Qty 2, 5.99 ea, 11.98
Image Scoshe EQFH Single ANL Fuse Holder - Qty 1, 6.95 ea, 6.95
Image Ancor 112002 Marine Grade Electrical Tinned Copper Cable (6 GA), Qty 2 at 25', 43.93, 87.86
Image Blue Sea Systems 5029 Fuse Block Screw Term Blade - Qty 1, 35.91, 35.91
ImageBlue Sea 1011 12V DC Socket = Qty 2, 12.72, 25.44
ImageLED Bar Light - Pivoting, Water resistant 12V DC LED Courtesy convenience lamp, 6" with on/off switch - Qty 4, 22.95, 91.80
ImageLED Bar Light - Pivoting, Water resistant, 12" Lamp, 12V DC Courtesy convenience lamp, 12" with on/off switch - Qty 1, 34.95, 34.95
Image Whynter FM-65G 65-Quart Portable Refrigerator/Freezer, Platinum - Qty 1, 634.97, 643.97
ImageBlue Sea Systems 2105 MaxiBus 250 Amp Common BUS Bar (12x) - Qty 1, 34.95, 34.95
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Re: AUX/House VW Power System

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:56 pm

only for-seeable problem would be the size of alternator/generator supplying all those loads. likely generator size is 35 amps, and load may be more. If load is less then that you will have to run the engine at 'cruising speed' some percentage of the time to maintain battery. example, if load is 17.5 amps 8 hours a day, you will need to run the engine at cruising speed for 4 hours a day, minimum.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Saguache » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks EspressoDude,

I'm currently running a Bosch 60 amp alternator which feeds the AUX system only after the starter is topped via an IBS battery tender and relay. I'm investigating either a double alternator or replacement of the 60 amp alternator with a 90 amp to boot, but those are spring time projects. In the mean time, I'm also going to hardwire a 50 W PV panel into the high-top on my van with an independent charge controller to the AUX system. The charge controller I have will allow me to expand the system by 110% if I need to, and I've been pricing 60 foldable film panels to hang from the awning when parked.

I don't ever imagine a time when I'll max out the draw on the AUX battery by turning on everything at once, but even so I'm going to install a voltmeter over the battery so that I'll know when I need to turn things off or crank up a charging system.

Thanks for your advice!
Saguache

Postby Saguache » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Guess I should probably point out the vehicle that this system is being integrated with is a 1983 VW Vanagon with a 1.9l NA Diesel engine and a few other (minor) modifications.

You can read about it here if you're interested.
Saguache

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 pm

The wire listed is more costly than needed, though it won't hurt anything.

I'm not familiar with Blue Sea.
I've used Marinco 12 v outlets.

Bear in mind that the alternators listed are rated at certain rpms only, probably 3500 or higher.
Alternators are available with high idle ratings, up to 300 amps.
gyre

Postby Saguache » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:52 pm

gyre wrote:The wire listed is more costly than needed, though it won't hurt anything.

I'm not familiar with Blue Sea.
I've used Marinco 12 v outlets.

Bear in mind that the alternators listed are rated at certain rpms only, probably 3500 or higher.
Alternators are available with high idle ratings, up to 300 amps.

Yep, got that. I found 6 GA AWE at my local hardware store so I won't need to buy that much of it and the cost will come down considerably. Blue Sea products get used in a lot of marine applications, I've been partial to them because they really stand up to a beating. Vibration is a really device killer in a diesel VW so I want to err on the side of caution when I build into this vehicle.

The alternator I have has more than enough output to charge both systems, and I'll also be pushing a PV setup into the AUX side. That said, I'll need to replace that Bosch sooner than later so why not look for a similarly rated alternator with higher output?
Saguache

Return to Power & Illumination