"Burning Friends"-Official Theme of 2012

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: "Burning Friends"-Official Theme of 2012

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:19 pm

"Wheat from the Chaff" - Official Theme of 2012
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby CaffeineGirl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:08 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One thing that WILL change this year is that I'll remember to bring Fandango some serious mixers.. at just the right moment.

Fandango announced last month they won't be making it this year.
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:11 pm

CaffeineGirl wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One thing that WILL change this year is that I'll remember to bring Fandango some serious mixers.. at just the right moment.

Fandango announced last month they won't be making it this year.

That's contrary to the sweet nothings that have been spit balled in my ear, but I'll let them speak for themselves.. :D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Antimaster » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:44 pm

What fucked this year up was people gaming the system and having non-Burner friends and family buy tickets. Predicted far in advance despite the borg's assurances that they had everything figured out. God what a fucking joke!

The lesson from this year, unless the borg gets their shit together (which is doubtful since they act as if they are omniscient and never ever admit to making an error in judgement), is to do the same. Next year there could be 200,000+ orders as the rest of us attempt to game the system. Another lottery and that maybe the only way you can get a ticket.

The posts by borg related talking heads (with the obviously official party line of demand exceeding availability) and their inability or unwillingness to admit their much ballyhooed and vaunted system was easily gamed (an elementary school kid coulda figured it out) is truly disturbing. I guess it's naivete on my part to hope they wouldn't act like corporate spokespersons but that seems to be the attitude.

If the borg aren't able to learn from their mistakes (and I admit I'm not confident of that) next year will be far worse unless of course all you care about is $$$ and selling out the event.
Antimaster

Postby trilobyte » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:19 am

If it was the hoarders gaming the system that screwed things up, then there'd be far more extra tickets circulating in the community.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby elKay » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:17 am

I am so tired of hearing about all this gaming of the system- and that all of the people who are going to be there are a bunch of rich virgin tourists. We won our tickets in the lottery with no gaming and feel terrible for the folks who didn't get tickets. We can't be the only people feeling less and less welcome and more like people see us as part of the "problem".
elKay

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Eric » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:25 am

elKay wrote:We can't be the only people feeling less and less welcome and more like people see us as part of the "problem".

elKay- the only "problem" is too many people wanting to attend, and every last one of us is part of that.

Don't feel unwelcome because some idiots are complaining- they were birgins once to, we all were. Do your studying, read up on ePlaya & ask questions, get ready for a kick-ass year. Come to the Meet & Greet on Thursday & I'll personally welcome you if no-one else has (which I doubt).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:28 am

elKay
I'm sorry they are so nasty. Perhaps we should regard them as if they've been sitting in a bar all evening, nursing their grudges and guzzling their beers. I'm ashamed of them, if that makes any difference. Ashamed, and angry at them--really, do they have to have their heads so far up their asses? I don't actually know how to cope with them, and I'm a veteran without a ticket...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby elKay » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:34 am

Thanks Eric,
I really hope to make it to the meet and greet this year. (I have lurked here so long, it feels like some of you are old friends) We missed it last year, I think we were wearing togas and pulling the trojan horse out through the gates of Troy on Thursday evening.
elKay

Postby trilobyte » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:34 am

@elkay - unfortunately some folks seem to feel a need to blame some specific group for an unexpected or unwanted outcome. Some are simply venting their frustrations, others are lashing out as they come to terms with the situation. Don't let the posts get to you, the vocal minority that are trying to make others feel less than welcome is likely just that - the minority. Congrats on having gotten tickets, and hope to see you out there!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby elKay » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:37 am

theCryptofishist wrote:....really, do they have to have their heads so far up their asses? I don't actually know how to cope with them, and I'm a veteran without a ticket...

Thanks too. And surely there is a ticket somewhere for you!
elKay

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:44 am

Yes or no, I hope I can muster a little dignity.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby elKay » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:50 am

I am sure that you would, (hoping you don't have to find out).

Thanks all for your nice welcome, hoping to see you all out there.
elKay

Postby Drucifer303 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm a burgin, so is my gf. It sucks so many vets didn't get tickets. That happens when demand just about triples supply. There really was no viable way to predict what happened this year. Sure the lottery was not the best call, but it wasn't malicious. Never attribute mistakes to malice when they can be attributed to any thing else instead.

I'm looking forward to the event, to step outside my personal comfort zone, to meet new people, make new friends see amazing things and experience some thing radically different.

My gf and I will be at the meet and greet, with bells on, and we look forward to meeting all the people we can there.

Can't wait.
Pretend I said something truly hilarious here.
Drucifer303

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Ratty » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Elkay and Dru, Welcome...Come, have fun, and have the best burn yet. The ticket thread on Eplaya is not where you look for a hug. Tension is easy to find here. Now move on to the preparation, food, shelter, costumes etc... Nice to meet cha.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby wraith » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:23 am

moonrise wrote:Ugh, one thing I think everyone should consider (lurkers and first timers, et al) is once we're in the burn, shut the fuck up about tickets. :twisted:

But yea, it's causing strife....my friends wife almost threw the entire lit BBQ of din din at me for mentioning the "T" word. Instead she just ran it off the end of the deck and into the yard...and we all went to bed hungry.

I mean it, once I'm inside the gates if I hear or if I stupidly say the "T" word someone ain't getting din din...please, radical-incursion....stfu!
Most eplayans are fried on this subject, it used to be so comfortably twisted and quaint here...before the "T" shit storm hit. :cry: Only the brave will.....oh nevermind *Snap* :|

page two arse!

Never gonna happen, because this isn't a one year event. The people on the Playa this year are already going to be worrying that they might not be able to come back home, and what we worry about, we talk about.
wraith

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion