First time burners from Seattle and Vancouver!

First time burners from Seattle and Vancouver!

Postby yacobian » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:41 am

Hey folks,

I am delighted that a friend and I studying Mandarin in Beijing were able to get tickets for Burning Man 2012! She is from the Seattle area and I am from Vancouver. We are both first time burners, and though we planned on heading down with some long time burners that I had housesat for in years past, they haven't gotten tickets so far. That being said, we are very enthusiastic about going and are looking forward to contributing in what ways we can!

We feel like we are getting a bit of a handle on how to prepare (have read a lot).There are a couple things that would be wonderful if people chimed in on though.

Looking-for-advice-point-1:For our contribution, we would like to offer a personal transportation and tour service. Our plan is to build a tandem tricycle with space for a person or two to sit in the back with pillows and shade. We think this will be a great way to meet people, help them get around the huge camp, and get some exercise for ourselves. I have tried to figure out whether this it totally ok or not. I have seen pictures of other trike--like creations on the site, and since this will be entirely human powered I don't believe it needs to be registered with the DMV, however it will likely be a bit larger than a normal bike, so I want to make sure if there are special requirements we know about those beforehand so that when we get to the camp it isn't a problem.

Looking-for-advice-point-2: To join a theme camp or not to join a theme camp??? We are not going to be bringing an RV or anything crazy, and being starving students we can't really afford a luxury camp with high dues, so we are thinking we will be staying in tents but we aren't sure if we want to join a camp or go it alone. Joining a theme camp sounds great, but our two concerns are it being inaccessible owing to high dues, and also being unable to pursue our own project (mentioned above). Any advice or pearls of wisdom from person experience would are welcome.

I looking forward to hearing from you guys and seeing you come burn time :)

Jacob

P.S. Our travel arrangements aren't set yet, so anybody looking to rideshare in the Vancouver/Seattle neck of the woods, let me know and maybe we can figure something out!
yacobian

Re: First time burners from Seattle and Vancouver!

Postby delle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:09 am

Welcome, Yacobian!

You'll get many a suggestion in here, I'm sure.

And perhaps an invitation or two to translate some tattoos. We could use your talent right about now.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby tamarakay » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi!
I've never heard of a human powered vehicle having to be registered. And I want a ride, so I say go for it.

There are all kinds of theme camps. Plug and play types, and the kinds were you are self sufficient, but get together for a few events. Some camps don't charge any dues, other nominal dues, and others are just flat outrageous with their dues. Go read the thread in the 2011 theme camp part about orphan/endorphan camp. It might inspire you!

Bring that bike by my little camp, Dye with Dignity, located at scenic Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro! Dye yourself a dust scarf and have a cold beverage. We'd love to hear how your first burn is going!

Read the survival guide, then read it again. And again. Then randomly highlight it in weird place, and give it to your friend telling him/her to note the highlighted sections. It made my ken crazy trying to figure out why I thought that stuff was important. :D
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby delle » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:00 pm

tamarakay wrote:Hi!
Read the survival guide, then read it again. And again. Then randomly highlight it in weird place, and give it to your friend telling him/her to note the highlighted sections. It made my ken crazy trying to figure out why I thought that stuff was important. :D

Hahahahaha!!!! :lol:

Have I told you lately that I love you Tamarakay??? Be downright shameful if I haven't.
delle

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:52 pm

yacobian wrote:Hey folks,

I am delighted that a friend and I studying Mandarin in Beijing were able to get tickets for Burning Man 2012! She is from the Seattle area and I am from Vancouver. We are both first time burners, and though we planned on heading down with some long time burners that I had housesat for in years past, they haven't gotten tickets so far. That being said, we are very enthusiastic about going and are looking forward to contributing in what ways we can!

Hi Yacobian!

You'll be okay without them if you prepare your ass off. Best to operate from a standpoint that they may not make it, so you don't feel overwhelmed at the last second if they don't luck out.

We feel like we are getting a bit of a handle on how to prepare (have read a lot).There are a couple things that would be wonderful if people chimed in on though.

Looking-for-advice-point-1:For our contribution, we would like to offer a personal transportation and tour service. Our plan is to build a tandem tricycle with space for a person or two to sit in the back with pillows and shade. We think this will be a great way to meet people, help them get around the huge camp, and get some exercise for ourselves. I have tried to figure out whether this it totally ok or not. I have seen pictures of other trike--like creations on the site, and since this will be entirely human powered I don't believe it needs to be registered with the DMV, however it will likely be a bit larger than a normal bike, so I want to make sure if there are special requirements we know about those beforehand so that when we get to the camp it isn't a problem.

I think that's a gorgeous way to 1) gift and to 2) meet people. Getting a ride out there is a special treat.

It would appear that a strictly human-powered unmotorized trike does not require special permission to operate by the following protocols:
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... iving.html

However, I'm an overcautious type & I admit I would consult the DMV to be on the safe side. There's an "email the DMV" link at the bottom of this page:
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... s/dmv.html

Make sure you bring a really good way to lock down your trike when not in use, or a drunk person may take it for a spin. Always lock it when unattended, even for 3 minutes outside the portos. Most people don't steal, and are actually very generous, but there's always a bad apple somewhere.

Looking-for-advice-point-2: To join a theme camp or not to join a theme camp??? We are not going to be bringing an RV or anything crazy, and being starving students we can't really afford a luxury camp with high dues, so we are thinking we will be staying in tents but we aren't sure if we want to join a camp or go it alone. Joining a theme camp sounds great, but our two concerns are it being inaccessible owing to high dues, and also being unable to pursue our own project (mentioned above). Any advice or pearls of wisdom from person experience would are welcome.

I looking forward to hearing from you guys and seeing you come burn time :)

Jacob

P.S. Our travel arrangements aren't set yet, so anybody looking to rideshare in the Vancouver/Seattle neck of the woods, let me know and maybe we can figure something out!

I've seen camp fees that start at $50; you are then usually expected to contribute on- or off-playa work towards their mission. Then there are no-fee camps like Orphan Camp (and its offshoots like Orphan II and III, etc) and Stag Camp, which may not have any amenities other than shade (depending on the camp), and require you to take responsibility for yourself. These camps can provide you with some folks to go on walkabout with, or hang out with around a burn barrel at 2am when you just have to tell someone about the pink stegosaurus you just rode . . .

However, if you can set up and stake down tents and shade using good rope and topped or candy-caned rebar, you don't really need a lot of support. You can be your own camp, and name yourself. :) You will have neighbors anyway, virtually anywhere you camp, and can visit theme camps all day if you want to.

Go with your gut. You have a while to decide--most camps close their doors in May or June (a few close earlier, some close later).
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jkisha » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Stickygreen » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:22 pm

For all the fresh and up to date Vancouver Burner news check out : https://www.facebook.com/groups/BurningVan/
recommend coming to Burn in the Forest, so awesome! - http://burnintheforest.com/

and for Seattle, try this - http://ignitionnw.org/
they have a comparable event to BiTF, called Critical Massive, check it : http://www.criticalmassive.org/

My advice on the theme camp thing. Join theme camp you'll have a way better time, it seems that you already understand participation is key, and if you can find the right people to be with , it will make your burn so much more fulfilling.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby funkyjigsaw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:56 am

Following up on Orphan Camps. I help organize this one :

“ORPHANS TOO” CAMP - VIRGIN FRIENDLY!!

Orphans Too is an offshoot camp of the Orphan/Endorphin mothership. Orphans Too spontaneously dragged itself out of the playa dust in 2011, after the mothership burned too brightly! … i.e. got full.

This is a camp for loners who don't want to be totally alone. Either you couldn’t talk anyone into going with you, or your friends have ditched, or couldn’t get a ticket, or you were originally blazing on alone and fearless! A few of us are people who have been to Burning Man before, but most of us are virgins, just finding our dusty feet, and looking out for each other.

There is no “theme” (unless we make it up as we go along). No camp fees. No obligations or duties.

We are radically basic! The facilitators of the camp (me) will not provide any infrastructure. No food. No water. No booze. No shade. You need to be self-reliant when you turn up and “plonk” your stuff down. We do expect you to have grasped the burner principles and bring a positive burner attitude.

HOWEVER, the way it works is this : when we have a full tribe of Orphans signed up (30-40), it is expected that we all work together to make the communal camp as awesome as it can be given our limited resources. Some people may bring shade, others a burn barrel, or snacks, or extra costumes, camp lights, music …. and other awesome fun stuff!

If you are unsure that you can contribute, or are unsure how to, don’t panic … just bring a smile, a hug, and a tutu! It’s us amazing burners that make a camp, not the infrastructure.

You don’t have to spend any time in the camp if you don’t want to. You can happily explore the playa on your own if you want. Often a few of us will “head out” together on some weird quest … join in, don’t join in … it matters not! But your family will be here if you need us.

If you are interested, please send me a message, and check us out :

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Orphans- ... 9092206557
https://www.facebook.com/groups/214083605308598/
funkyjigsaw

Postby yacobian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:53 am

Hey everybody!

Thanks for all the advice. If the e-playa is any reflection of how awesome/helpful/welcoming folks are at the actually event, then we clearly have a lot to look forward to!

WIth regards to our camping situation, we are looking at various 'self-reliant' slash orphan style camps to see what is operating this year and what seems like we might fit in to. I have also read abou some camps that have had their membership numbers hurt by the ticket shortage wanting to combine with other camps or have 'co-campers' who can help with set-up and take down, but maybe not as involved with the day to day operations as full on 'core-members'. This sounds sounds like perhaps an ideal situation for us. Of course, we will keep our eyes open for something that screams up-our-alley and all plans could change :P

One question though (I feel this is likely irrelevant at BM); are most camps pretty friendly regarding queer people?

For our bike/trike/Persian Lounge thing, I have e-mailed both the DMV and the bicycle folks to see if they have any concerns or valuable input.

Thanks fo the info stickygreen! I am already sold on the Burn in the Forest idea and convinced some friends who might not be able to get tickets for BM 2012 to come. See you there?
yacobian

Postby delle » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 am

yacobian wrote:
One question though (I feel this is likely irrelevant at BM); are most camps pretty friendly regarding queer people?

Good lord, yes! You may well be walking into what is likely the most queer-friendly spot on the planet -- in EVERY sense of the word! It's going to spoil you silly.

:lol:
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:48 am

yacobian wrote:Thanks for all the advice. If the e-playa is any reflection of how awesome/helpful/welcoming folks are at the actually event, then we clearly have a lot to look forward to!

No. Once we get on playa we all become a bunch of cranks, trolls and snarks. You're seeing us at our best and remember "The eplaya is not the playa."

yacobian wrote:One question though (I feel this is likely irrelevant at BM); are most camps pretty friendly regarding queer people?

You're right, Delle's right. The home city of this thing is San Francisco, after all. Although, with the expected large influx of virgins, the cultural norms may change or at least not be as thoroughly adopted by the population. And one does hear of homophobic incidents. So, not perfect.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tamarakay » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:00 pm

delle wrote:
tamarakay wrote:Hi!

Hahahahaha!!!! :lol:

Have I told you lately that I love you Tamarakay??? Be downright shameful if I haven't.

Well you really can't hear it too much can you? :D :D :D :D :D

tamarakay

Postby tamarakay » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm one of those really weird Texans who just doesn't pay attention to sexual orientation. Really, even in defaultia I don't spend time on who likes to sleep with who, so on the playa it's no different for me. But from what I hear, the playa just really doesn't care either. As in life you will run into the occasional jerk, but less likely to happen at bm than in the real life.

tamarakay

Postby yacobian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:00 am

haha, well thanks for all the reassuring comments and messages. I wasn't to worried in the first place, BM doesn't seem like the type of event that would appeal to the homophobe. Still though, just wanted to make sure I didn't inadvertently join the NRA camp or something.

Anyways, plans are coming along nicely, probably going to build a monkey hut and plop a small tent underneath it. Working on the big master list of things to bring, what we already own and what we need to beg steal or borrow. Or buy. I'm glad we started planning so far in advanced though, this is a big task!
yacobian

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:06 am

Just to let you know, you're likely to get guff (at least) to a sihtstorm (towards the worst) for the NRA remark. Lots of bill of Rightsters here, and they do include the 2nd.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby yacobian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:07 am

Ayeee..... amazing how I can live within a 10 minute drive of a border my entire live yet still miss some cultural sensitivities. Probably deserve whatever flack I get haha
yacobian

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44 am

I think you'll do fine. It's good to figure out sooner, rather than later, that the political opinions and values of burners are varied.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to Introduce Yourself!