Bike Security

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Re: Bike Security

Postby gyre » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 pm

That's how we did one.

It went quick.
gyre

Postby Canoe » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 am

Not mine. Found on web.

Not created with the same intent, but the end result...
Could be enhanced by connecting the right handlebars, only reversed?

not-in-sync.jpg

And for packs of drunks: "Faster, the _____ are gaining on us".

white-trash-repairs-this-bicycle-idea-is-going-nowhere2.jpg

Give the joints some wiggle room for more fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:50 am

Cool double
gyre

Postby Elliot » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:16 am

I've seen one of those side-by-side tandems in use. Looked like they had no trouble at all riding it, but I'm guessing they had quite a bit of practice.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby The CO » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 am

I've come to love the method of putting a bungee on the back tire connected to the frame. As effective as a lock, and the comedy of watching someone try to ride it is priceless. A decent bungee will let the wheel rotate about 3 times before it stops, and will pull the bike backwards as soon as they stop pedaling.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 pm

The CO wrote:I've come to love the method of putting a bungee on the back tire connected to the frame. As effective as a lock, and the comedy of watching someone try to ride it is priceless. A decent bungee will let the wheel rotate about 3 times before it stops, and will pull the bike backwards as soon as they stop pedaling.

Pictures? :D
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Elliot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:17 pm

Hooked up the loose bits and tried riding this thing today. No bleeping way! I cannot even walk it along. And the really funny part is, as soon as things start going the wrong way, the natural reaction is to “try harder”, and that snowballs in something like 0.00003 second. So I find myself unable to make “a small mistake” with this thing. Sometimes I’m lucky for a few feet, but then the crash is total and absolute, instantly. The bike goes to one side, and I go to the other. Mission accomplished! :twisted:

Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby B the B » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:45 pm

If your paparazzi skills are half as good as your mechanical skills, will you please post the pics of would be bikenappers crashing for us after the burn? Awesome work, should be good for many belly laughs. 19 thumbs up!
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Postby Elliot » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:52 pm

There was talk of video cameras earlier. See previous pages in this thread. :D

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby gyre » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Beautiful.
Looks like a fast ratio.
gyre

Postby Canoe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Failure = Success!

No, it's not a bait bike. It's a bicycle with non-conformist steering... for those non-conformists who wish to experience the freedom of taking someone else's ride, they get a ride free of conformist steering!
Face Plant = "I guess you're just not non-conformist enough..."

(just watch. some psycho who's never managed to ride a bike in his life will hop on and wiz around the playa in joy!)

(looks 1:1. Optical? as 15 degrees left gives a wheel 15 degrees right, for 30 degrees between them?)
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby Thorormr » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:46 am

Canoe wrote:(looks 1:1. Optical? as 15 degrees left gives a wheel 15 degrees right, for 30 degrees between them?)

A single gear was cut in half and flipped inside out. So yes, that is an exact 1:1 counter steer.

And I just had a moment of inspiration, what about a bike with spring brakes? IE, pulling the lever actually releases the brake, and letting it go allows the spring to engage the shoes. Looking at the rear brake on my bike it would be totally possible with the side pull cantilevers it has. Just take the cable off, add a drum brake spring in its place, and cut four small sections of 1/8"x1/2" bar, rob the adjuster and nut off an old side pull brake and make sort of a center pull scissor jack to stretch the spring. Make me wish I had facility and spare parts to toy with the idea.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:22 am

Thorormr wrote:And I just had a moment of inspiration, what about a bike with spring brakes? IE, pulling the lever actually releases the brake, and letting it go allows the spring to engage the shoes. Looking at the rear brake on my bike it would be totally possible with the side pull cantilevers it has. Just take the cable off, add a drum brake spring in its place, and cut four small sections of 1/8"x1/2" bar, rob the adjuster and nut off an old side pull brake and make sort of a center pull scissor jack to stretch the spring. Make me wish I had facility and spare parts to toy with the idea.

What's nice about that idea is that the immobility of the bike would immediately make the bike undesirable even before the person took time to figure out how to tape up or use the brakes. It's like disengaging the chain so somebody has to monkey around and fix the bike.

I still like the counter-rotating steering though, because it's just so off-the-wall, not just an immobilization tactic.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elliot » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:51 am

Thor, that's a fabulous idea. And the "scissor" mechanism to release it. You have it all designed!

I can add only one suggestion: The brake lever can perhaps be modified so it has a "catch" to keep it pulled in, so the hand muscles do not cramp up while riding.

So who's building it?

Incidentally, big trucks and buses with pneumatic brake systems have such spring-loaded parking brakes to keep the vehicle secure even if all the compressed air leaks out while the vehicle is parked. Likewise, if a major leak occurs while driving, the spring brakes come on by themselves.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Thorormr » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Elliot wrote:Thor, that's a fabulous idea. And the "scissor" mechanism to release it. You have it all designed!

I can add only one suggestion: The brake lever can perhaps be modified so it has a "catch" to keep it pulled in, so the hand muscles do not cramp up while riding.

So who's building it?

Incidentally, big trucks and buses with pneumatic brake systems have such spring-loaded parking brakes to keep the vehicle secure even if all the compressed air leaks out while the vehicle is parked. Likewise, if a major leak occurs while driving, the spring brakes come on by themselves.

For a lever with a catch, I am remembering a trike one of my grandmother's had, the brake lever had a spring loaded pin in the housing that would hold the brake until you squeezed the lever. Then the pin would pop back up and the lever could be fully released.

And the spring brake idea was inspired by truck parking brakes. Shoot it could even become a safety device for a bicycle with a motor adapted of some kind. Kind of a deadman, if you fall off the seat the brake comes on.

I'd love to get into making this stuff, I just don't have the facility or spare bits to cannibalize.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Postby Canoe » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 am

Quick Release

quick release2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canoe

Postby gyre » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:05 am

gyre

Postby Thorormr » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:05 pm

I just saw this:

Water bottle shape to fit in the bottle cage. Self recoiling keyed 8mm cable lock, stash box in the bottom, comes in black, white, pink and red/yellow/green. Long enough to go through both tires.

Direct link: https://www.austinkayak.com/products/6645/Kuat-Bottle-Lock-Bicycle-Lock.html
Thorormr

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:55 am

That looks awesome, Thor, thank you for the link!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Canoe » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:38 pm

white-trash-repairs-security-on-the-cutting-edge.jpg
Canoe

Previous

Return to Transportation