Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Postby Borris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:17 pm

if you look at the source of the email you received (In Gmail it's called "Show Original" and is located in the dropdown menu in the email itself) you'll be able to see the time the email has exited the BM servers. mine for instance is tagged with 12:17:00, the time I recieved my Email is 12:17:56. so check the source code for your files.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby Guia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 pm

I've never posted before, but have been watching this thread intently to see how many people have been receiving tickets. So thought I would return the favor and say I received 2 tickets tonight through STEP and I'm a 12:08.

Good luck everybody!
Guia

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 am

Congratulations, Guia! If you feel like sticking around feel free to pop on over to the Greeter's Station and post an introduction. Welcome to ePlaya!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby MIse » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 am

Borris wrote:if you look at the source of the email you received (In Gmail it's called "Show Original" and is located in the dropdown menu in the email itself) you'll be able to see the time the email has exited the BM servers. mine for instance is tagged with 12:17:00, the time I recieved my Email is 12:17:56. so check the source code for your files.

Never realised you could do that, my one is odd though....in the actual header of the mail it reads

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:14:32 -0800

But all the code up above says:

Received: by 10.143.42.3 with SMTP id u3csp15768wfj;
Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:15:21 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.236.173.202 with SMTP id v50mr12615202yhl.102.1330719320336;
Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:15:20 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <root@intic-stage-app1.inetuhosted.net>
Received: from intic-stage-app1.inetuhosted.net ([74.85.136.169])
by mx.google.com with SMTP id t5si7957733yht.119.2012.03.02.12.15.19;

How could gmail have posted it time stamped 12:14:32 if the servers didnt bang it out till 12:15:20?
Gmail/BM Server running on slightly different clocks perhaps?
MIse

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 am

MIse wrote:How could gmail have posted it time stamped 12:14:32 if the servers didnt bang it out till 12:15:20?

Does it really matter? It's not like everybody's server is time-synchronized to the NIST atomic clock's WWVB signal.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:13 am

heheheheh BBadger

theres something about this thread that makes it highly amusing.

its like the phrenology of burning man ticket threads

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby MIse » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 am

BBadger wrote:
MIse wrote:How could gmail have posted it time stamped 12:14:32 if the servers didnt bang it out till 12:15:20?

Does it really matter? It's not like everybody's server is time-synchronized to the NIST atomic clock's WWVB signal.

lemur wrote:heheheheh BBadger

Well if the difference between getting a ticket & not getting a ticket was being in the 12.14 group as opposed to the 12.15 then I guess it would "really matter" wouldnt it?

Im glad both of you find this thread amusing or an annoyance when alot of people within are genuinely worried about whether they'll get a ticket this year, maybe think about setting up a little "e-playa asshole" camp between ye should you both make it out there this year
MIse

Postby lucky420 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:47 am

Im glad both of you find this thread amusing when alot of people are genuinely worried about whether they'll get a ticket this year, maybe think about setting up a little "e-playa asshole" camp should you both make it out there this year

BAM! :lol: :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:03 am

MIse wrote:
Well if the difference between getting a ticket & not getting a ticket was being in the 12.14 group as opposed to the 12.15 then I guess it would "really matter" wouldnt it?

its out of your control, all the analyzing of timestamps in the world isnt gonna change your chances..

be worried all ya want..... your spot in line is set.....
lemur

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:22 am

and dont forget STEP is gonna be open for months..

and as said previously..

Eric wrote:Everyone needs to remember that the time stamps are an approximation of where you are in the queue, there's no way of knowing your exact placement.

STEP FAQ wrote:Q: Will I know my place in the queue?
A: No. We don’t have that capability built into the current STEP system.

Q: Will I get some advance warning that I’m close to the front of the queue?
A: No. You’ll need to keep an eye on your email for notification.

trilobyte wrote:People trying to glean their place in line based on the timestamp on their email should know that those timestamps come from various servers and providers around the internet, and not from Burning Man.

its obvious people are worried about tickets, people have been for months...... but also, people have been trying to read into things to get more idea of their chances in things for months as well, either trying to know where the 'missing tickets' went.. or this timestamp STEP thing..

its no surprise that people are worried if theyll make it when things are out of their control.. and they need to plan.. but tons of people are in the same boat,.. and tickets havnt even been mailed out yet.. more will come into STEP..

yeah! maybe youll be the last one in line and you wont get a ticket... and as mentioned in the FAQ about STEP.. you wont know if youre close to the front, or at the end, .....plan to get tickets any way you can.. as mentioned in the run up to step, not many tickets are expected to get put into that program.. so plan accordingly.

dont put too much hope on STEP.. but also, dont try to read the tea leaves so fervently... yeah, it appears the time people got an email confirmation might correlate to something..but it also might be that an uneven distrubtion of registrants are in any one group of timestamps on emails, ..there may be 1million people registered at one time stamp and 20 people to another.. really gonna end up running in place if youre putting too much emphasis on those time stamps... and people still need to put tickets in there for any of it to mean anything,.. ..

so wait it out... youll either get a ticket or you wont, dont put all your hopes on STEP, dont start thinking that "OH THE 12:14's are getting tickets IM GONNA BE SOON' ...cuz as ya said, you might not be getting one through step...

plan accordingly.
lemur

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:28 am

part of planning this year might be that you wont end up being able to get a ticket.
lemur

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:22 am

I don't know if there would be a way to do this while properly respecting the privacy and intimacy of the playa, but it might be cool if some kind of system were setup whereby people who got into the STEP program but did not get tickets could remotely view/participate in some aspect of playa life or the burn. Maybe through Skype or some kind of teleconferencing that would require login (to keep it from just being a telecast to the whole wide world)? I'm not technical, like, at all, so this is more just a flight of fancy than a proposal, but maybe...?
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 am

catinthefunnyhat wrote:I don't know if there would be a way to do this while properly respecting the privacy and intimacy of the playa, but it might be cool if some kind of system were setup whereby people who got into the STEP program but did not get tickets could remotely view/participate in some aspect of playa life or the burn. Maybe through Skype or some kind of teleconferencing that would require login (to keep it from just being a telecast to the whole wide world)? I'm not technical, like, at all, so this is more just a flight of fancy than a proposal, but maybe...?

thats been happening for a few years now, unrelated to STEP, and open to the public... there is a "ustream" burning man video stream from the playa, where you can watch the event all week, as well as various burns.. before that there was live broadcasts of the burns as well as small little videos on the cableTV channel "CURRENTTV".. there are reports of well over 10,000 people viewing at a time..

some of the people who sit on the ustream burning man channel refer to themselves as "camp envy"

im not sure if they will be doing it this year, the video stream... but odds are it should appear again..

also, BMIR 94.5 usually streams the live broadcast of the radio stream online as well..
Last edited by lemur on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
lemur

Postby MIse » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:25 am

Wow....3 separate replies in 25mins? Really? Now that's amusing given that this was previously viewed like a joke thread to you :lol:

Im one of 4 people hoping for tickets from STEP, we've 1 mail that reads 12.09 & another which reads 12.14/12.15 (as outlined above) - if 12.08's are reporting offers now well then Im pretty hopeful of the 12.09 entry we have.

Sure people are trying to guess the system, its only natural to want to know where you stand given all the messing thats gone before & also whilst feeling the panic of should I be planning my trip or not,we for instance have to sort flights from Europe if we're going - flights which are increasing in price all the time.
The time stamps seem like a genuine way of tracking the system & knowing how your chances look at least in the short term anyway.
I get a buzz from logging on here & learning with each post that BM are working their way along the time list, if theyve managed to get from 12.00 to 12.08 in the space of a fortnight well then obviously a timestamp that contains "1 million people" hasnt been encountered yet & how could it anyway with sign ups limited to 2000 total & people reporting time stamps of well up into the 12.20's

Im a longtime lurker & only new to posting on eplaya....there's been enough negativity floating about since this whole lottery fiasco so for someone with a post count as high as yours to be demeaning people for being hopeful & buzzing off the reports of good news ticket offers kinda sucks given the reason we're all here in the first place & the principles that are supposed to be upheld at BM
MIse

Postby VultureChow » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:31 am

catinthefunnyhat wrote:I don't know if there would be a way to do this while properly respecting the privacy and intimacy of the playa, but it might be cool if some kind of system were setup whereby people who got into the STEP program but did not get tickets could remotely view/participate in some aspect of playa life or the burn. Maybe through Skype or some kind of teleconferencing that would require login (to keep it from just being a telecast to the whole wide world)? I'm not technical, like, at all, so this is more just a flight of fancy than a proposal, but maybe...?

As this is my first year, I've been thinking about life after Burning Man. Assuming I love it (I know, no assumptions, but I am really looking forward to this), how do I handle future years? I take one major vacation a year, but I love to travel to new places.

If I love Burning Man in BRC, I think I will start to try regionals (though I'm trying to get to PDF this year). There's even one in South Africa! Think about it, a new location every year and probably piggyback three days of non BM sightseeing on top of the event.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:37 am

Just as effective to put them in a cage and poke them with a stick.
gyre

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:41 am

MIse wrote:Wow....3 separate replies in 25mins? Really? Now that's amusing given that this was previously viewed like a joke thread to you :lol:

Im a longtime lurker & only new to posting on eplaya....there's been enough negativity floating about since this whole lottery fiasco so for someone with a post count as high as yours to be demeaning people for being hopeful & buzzing off the reports of good news ticket offers kinda sucks given the reason we're all here in the first place & the principles that are supposed to be upheld at BM

yeah!! and sittin around calling people assholes for mentioning it might be amusing that people are getting into the SECONDS section of timestamps after previous mentions that timestamps arent exactly 100% directly related to a spot in line surely doesnt do much of anything to stop negativity from floating around, does it ?

nobody was demeaning anyone who is happy to get a ticket or people who were hopeful....it was someone finding a thread where people are again doing what they have been doing for months now.... trying to read in to things and find some pattern.... isnt nearly as negative as you seem to believe it is.. if anything its an attempt to add levity to a situation that people are apparently taking very seriously

the reason we're all here in the first place? because we have some interest in burning man...... the principals that are supposed to be upheld ? ...i dont think everyone could agree about those.

take this whole thing uber serious if ya want!! ... i know lots of people are.. they love burning man.. and want to go and see their friends and work on shit.. we all care a lot about it.

but dont be so quick to get yer panties all in a bunch because someone was amused and called the reading of timestamps down to the second something like phrenology and pseudoscience... cuz ya kno!! it is...

one of the things youll see all over if you see this forum enough is "eplaya is not the playa" ...and even on the playa its not all hugs and kisses and lovey dovey rainbow land....... yeah!! some people on the playa might even bust out the megaphone and say you stink.

eplaya isnt all too different in that regard..sometimes! people will be snarky, be amused and think that people are being foolish about something and not be afraid to say so..

so what?! im amused that people are getting down to the second on their timestamp inferences... i made a snarky comment about it being like phrenology ! woopty fuckin do.. perhaps you could lighten up a bit!!! we all know everyones stressing about this shit, making a snarky comment about it doesnt remove their ability to stress about it..

whether ive posted 1 time or 200000 times nothing will change that some folks arent gonna get to go... nothing will change your spot in the STEP queue, nothing will change that some people on the playa and on eplaya are gonna be looking at the situation differently than others... some people deal with situations like this with granite strong seriousness and some peopel deal with it with wafer thin snarkiness.. ...... plan accordingly
lemur

Postby Ratty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:00 am

Hi Cat, Last year I chose not to go. I sat watching the streaming video like a shut-in suffering from agoraphobia. I put up a curtain rod and curtains around my monitor. I invited strangers in off the street and served them cheese whiz with dust bunnies from under the couch. (While wearing nothing but a dishtowel.) It would have been heavenly if I could have stopped sobbing. If you don't get ticket I highly recommend it.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 am

lemur wrote:thats been happening for a few years now, unrelated to STEP, and open to the public... there is a "ustream" burning man video stream from the playa, where you can watch the event all week, as well as various burns.. before that there was live broadcasts of the burns as well as small little videos on the cableTV channel "CURRENTTV".. there are reports of well over 10,000 people viewing at a time..

some of the people who sit on the ustream burning man channel refer to themselves as "camp envy"

im not sure if they will be doing it this year, the video stream... but odds are it should appear again..

also, BMIR 94.5 usually streams the live broadcast of the radio stream online as well..

YAY! I had this vague memory of that kind of thing being disallowed when I went, but that was so long ago... so maybe I wasn't aware, or maybe I just didn't remember. Anyways, thanks for the info! I'll definitely tune in if I'm not there. And if I am there, I'll pop by and send a dusty virtual hug to those that are watching from home.

gyre wrote:Just as effective to put them in a cage and poke them with a stick.

Gyre: As far as I can tell, I'm pretty far down the STEP lineup (12:21), so there's a 50/50 chance (actually, I have no idea how much chance there is, but I consider 50/50 a convenient fiction) that I'll be one of those on the outside looking in. If I am, I'll get some friendly burners-away-from-home together, pull out whatever I have that still smells like playa dust, dress up in my best burner costume, and watch. I won't feel like anyone's poking me with anything.

Ratty wrote:Hi Cat, Last year I chose not to go. I sat watching the streaming video like a shut-in suffering from agoraphobia. I put up a curtain rod and curtains around my monitor. I invited strangers in off the street and served them cheese whiz with dust bunnies from under the couch. (While wearing nothing but a dishtowel.) It would have been heavenly if I could have stopped sobbing. If you don't get ticket I highly recommend it.

Yeah, it would be something like that. But I will laugh between my tears. However, if someone wants to bring a few ticketless orphans to BM, put us in a cage, and poke us with sticks for a week... well, I might submit to that, just to be there!

/Threadjack (sorry). :oops:
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby lemur » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:08 am

catinthefunnyhat wrote:As far as I can tell, I'm pretty far down the STEP lineup (12:21), so there's a 50/50 chance (actually, I have no idea how much chance there is, but I consider 50/50 a convenient fiction) that I'll be one of those on the outside looking in.

dont forget there will be other ways to get tickets than STEP.. when tickets start being shipped the ticket want/for sale threads on EPlaya will open up and you may be able to get one there.. ..along with other ways to get them..

if you havnt, try signing up to your local 'regional list' ...you seem to be in 'toronto'' ..

try this link: http://regionals.burningman.com/ca_ont_tor.html

sign up for their discussion lists.. and announce list..... maybe some other close regional lists as well (see here: http://regionals.burningman.com/na_index.html )

many regional lists have ad-hoc ticket sale/wants things going on already..

STEP isnt your only option
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:21 am

STEP has us utterly at its mercy, we are caught in the claws of its, not randomness..., caprise. We're human, we try to have power over this mighty and unpredictable system by looking at things like goat entrails and time stamps because we cannot bear to think that we must twist in the wind at its pleasure. Of course that's funny. It's sad, too. and profoundly human. We can look at this just like we look at Captain Kirk sucking in his gut on TOS and say, ah, yes, there's that primate with the thumbs again--whether we see it as comedy, tragedy, history, light operetta, or absurdism.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Borris » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:07 pm

MIse wrote:
Borris wrote:if you look at the source of the email you received (In Gmail it's called "Show Original" and is located in the dropdown menu in the email itself) you'll be able to see the time the email has exited the BM servers. mine for instance is tagged with 12:17:00, the time I recieved my Email is 12:17:56. so check the source code for your files.

Never realised you could do that, my one is odd though....in the actual header of the mail it reads

Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:14:32 -0800

But all the code up above says:

Received: by 10.143.42.3 with SMTP id u3csp15768wfj;
Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:15:21 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.236.173.202 with SMTP id v50mr12615202yhl.102.1330719320336;
Return-Path: <root@intic-stage-app1.inetuhosted.net>
Received: from intic-stage-app1.inetuhosted.net ([74.85.136.169])
by mx.google.com with SMTP id t5si7957733yht.119.2012.03.02.12.15.19;

How could gmail have posted it time stamped 12:14:32 if the servers didnt bang it out till 12:15:20?

the code above is the intermediate servers, the lower code (that you've posted higher up) is the timestamp from the BM server. your application was processed at 12:14:32
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby drutter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:16 pm

Wow, almost no new tickets for the past week. Really crawling along, at best.
*splashes playa dust gathered from boxes and equipment after prior Burns all over face, breathes in deep, re-crosses fingers*
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby 7chix&me » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Wow! Thanks for this info. I received my email at 12:28 and I thought I was just about the very last in line, but I just went and looked and it was SENT at 12:20--a little better!
Thanks Boris!
lemur wrote:heheheheh BBadger

its like the phrenology of burning man ticket threads

And Lemur, I love the phrenology analogy! Ain't it fun to feel the lumps on our heads?! :lol:
Thanks for keepin' it light...

And one more thing... The way I figure, if you ASSUME that the places in line are evenly distributed across the timestamps, AND excluding the times that no one appears to have gotten in (due to server crashes), AND that we are all equidistant from Jupiter, THEN we are half way through the line! (except for all those in that virtual and yet unnumbered line) RIGHT????!! :wink:
7chix&me

Postby Spadge63 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Got my confirmation at 12:16.. and had the same experiences everyone else did with the page going blank. I think it was the most stressful 15 minutes of my life.
“And he didn't get tired or sleepy, for the beauty burned in him like fire.”
― John Steinbeck
Spadge63

Postby lucky420 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:03 pm

It's a good thing I was working alone in the office on March 2. I had 2 computers going because I was registering for myself and my daughter (who was at work). I was taking big bounding leaps between computers to hit refresh on both of them, as I would get the page then it would go blank. After I got my acceptance confirmed I settled down to one computer and got my daughters place in line.

:oops: :oops:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby VampireKitten » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Spadge63 wrote:Got my confirmation at 12:16.. and had the same experiences everyone else did with the page going blank. I think it was the most stressful 15 minutes of my life.

I'm in the same boat ^ 12:16
VampireKitten

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 pm

(I will not tell them they have lived a sheltered live. I will not tell them that they have lived a sheltered life. I will not tell these fools that having to push a webbutton doesn't hold a fucking candle to having the police knock on your front door to tell you your husband's dead. I will not oh fcuk it!)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:14 pm

(((fishy))) you are so right...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby gyre » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:27 pm

catinthefunnyhat wrote: If someone wants to bring a few ticketless orphans to BM, put us in a cage, and poke us with sticks for a week... well, I might submit to that, just to be there!

You need to post this in one of the participation threads.

You never know...
gyre

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion