Kodiak Canvas awning

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Kodiak Canvas awning

Postby VultureChow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Since I'm flying in, I will not be bringing a separate shade structure. I will be using two sun-tec tarps to add a layer of shade, using my car and the tent itself to create a sun-fly of sorts over the tent.

What that means though, is that I would really like to use the awning that's attached to the tent and a mesh shade wall that I can attach to it to create a shaded porch.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a good way to secure the poles for the awning in addition to just guy lines. My initial thought was to use two unbent stakes over which I would slip the poles, but they are capped with plastic on the end. I could remove the caps.

My next thought was to use some pipe with a slightly wider diameter than the poles and pound it into the playa leaving six inches or so above ground that the poles would then slip into. Not sure how well that would work though.

Any suggestions or experience with the tent would be great!!!
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Kodiak Canvas awning

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Lashing each pole with parachute cord alongside a 24" piece of 1/2" rebar would help pin them in place.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby VultureChow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Bob wrote:Lashing each pole with parachute cord alongside a 24" piece of 1/2" rebar would help pin them in place.

That's even easier! And I've got loads of paracord.

Does Home Depot cut rebar? I know they do lumber.

Edited: Did my research and they sell it in24" sections. Perfect. Especially if I can buy in Reno.
VultureChow

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:31 am

Just be warned that you aren't the only one buying those 24" rebars that time of year!!!

There is a little known trick to rebar tho--- if you sharpen one end, like a pencil point, they drive into the playa a lot easier. HD Doesn't / can't do this, of course, but if you're flying in, then we understand... Just remember, you'll need two more things - one is a way to pound the rebar in, the other, and more important, is how to get the rebar out!!!!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby VultureChow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Just be warned that you aren't the only one buying those 24" rebars that time of year!!!

There is a little known trick to rebar tho--- if you sharpen one end, like a pencil point, they drive into the playa a lot easier. HD Doesn't / can't do this, of course, but if you're flying in, then we understand... Just remember, you'll need two more things - one is a way to pound the rebar in, the other, and more important, is how to get the rebar out!!!!

I was worried about that, but it looks like there are six Home Depots (didn't check Lowe's) in the area. And I only need two pieces. Worst case scenario, I'll find something else. I'll use the x profile military stakes elsewhere for the tent and lines. I'll have two days in Reno to get everything.

I'm actually hoping to camp with Stag Camp and will ask if the camp organizers will have a hammer and I guess vice grips that I can borrow. If they say it's not a good idea then I'll buy it in reno. I should have more room and less weight in my bags going back. Worst case scenario is someone gets those as gifts.

I was able to use my mileage to get upgrades to First class which give me a total of 210 pounds of gear I can take with me as check baggage. 70 of that is the tent. As I get more and more set up I'll figure out how much I can take and how much I have to buy in Reno.
VultureChow

Postby ygmir » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:51 am

you could also use automotive hose clamps, to attach the poles and rebar......super strong, on and off with a screw driver. and fast. if there's a sharp edge, one wrap of tape or cloth around it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Return to Shelter & Camping