Earplugs tips

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed May 16, 2007 9:11 am

wedeliver wrote:[..... the fucker went to a lot of effort to have an art car with 150 decible booming megabass.... it is burningman after all and do you really want to miss the sunrise??

I totally understand the sentiment. I know that as BM spreads its roots it draws in more people from the mainstream which, perhaps, will dilute the weird and wonderful element that made the event so unique in the first place. I am not advocating the over-regulation of the Playa. Resort to RPGs should be purely voluntary.

I applaud all those who go to the effort to bring something unique to the Playa. But even finely wrought art cars with superior sound systems can cease to be "gifts" when they patrol the camping areas at 4 a.m. booming high-decible sounds to no discernible audience.

It's the dudes who just dont know when to quit that bother me. When is it time to quit? When the only person at the camp or on your art car is the DJ or driver. Feel free to troll the deep playa to find someone you can impress with that rocking sound system, but geeeze, let the other "artists" get at least 3 hours of sleep. They may have some really cool gift to give the Playa that needs a few hours sleep to pull off.

But, I digress and certainly don't want to start the umpteenth "sounds-issues" thread.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby DJ Dominus » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 pm

Custom plugs. Pricey, but worth it. Just get an extra -15db filter for really large systems.

http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/ER-9_earplugs.htm
DJ Dominus

Ear Plugs

Postby DrPeffer » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:52 pm

My experience from last year worked like a charm. I'm no candy-ass, but if I can block out extraneous noise while trying to sleep, I'm much happier, as I'm sure you all are.

I used the cheap orange foam dealies you can get anywhere. THEN, I put on a pair of headphones (cheapo old-school walkman type guys that...and this is probably important...wrap around the BACK of your head, at the base of your skull). Into the headphones, I piped my white noise generator at a pretty hefty volume. You could do the same with a portable radio tuned to a dead spot on the FM band. I slept like a baby every night until 9 AM, when it was just to f-ing hot to sleep anymore.
DrPeffer

Postby Kers » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:22 pm

One of the gifts I'm bringing is a bunch of the little conical foam earplugs.

Look for me if you get to the playa and say "Shit, I don't have ear plugs!"

But you have to deal with the moop packaging yourself :)
2000, 2001, 2003, 2007
Kers

goodbye foam earplugs

Postby tapioka » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:43 pm

seriously, the BEST thing you can do for yourself this year is upgrade your earplug situation. last year i tried out those silicon earplugs you can buy at walgreens [the brand i use is Mack's Pillow Soft earplugs]. they come in a six pack little plastic box are about the size of a piece of bubblicious gum and are like beeswax in consistency. THEY ALMOST COMPLETELY GET RID OF OUTSIDE NOISE. there's nothing that can be done about bass thump vibration, but i sleep on an air mattress in my tent and that takes care of that. they're not much more expensive than foam, either. i couldn't believe the difference.

you have to really mold and press them into your ear, but their tackiness helps keep them in place much better than foam. my other tip is to use them smaller than they come in the packaging ["reduce" is one of the three green "R"s, right?]. i pull each plug in half and use the resultant smaller size, which is more manageable in pressing into my ear. try using them whole first though.

i currently have construction next to my apartment, and i'm able to completely stay asleep for two hours after they get started at the crack of dawn sawing and hammering.

okay, so while i'm on my soapbox, my other major discovery is eye-mist spray instead of eye drops. a pharmacist in reno last year recommended that i try this stuff called natures tears--it's a little 1oz mist bottle and you spray the mist a sterile "tear layer" directly onto your eye. AMAZING. so refreshing. apprarently "flooding" the eye with eyedrops unbalances the [understandably] delicate composition of the tear membrane. or something.... it's quite expensive relatively [$8 a bottle], but i'm going to buy a bunch of it in bulk and use spritzes of it for gifting, very appreciated last year. you also don't have to worry about any kind of pink-eye contamination or anything because the can never comes close to one's eyes.

okay, that's all. see you all out there!!
tapioka

Re: goodbye foam earplugs

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:13 pm

tapioka wrote:seriously, the BEST thing you can do for yourself this year is upgrade your earplug situation. last year i tried out those silicon earplugs you can buy at walgreens [the brand i use is Mack's Pillow Soft earplugs].

As a machinist I have tried every plug there is. These are the best I have come across and I have been using em ever since finding them.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:50 pm

Teo del Fuego wrote:for Snoring try Breathe Right nasal Strips. To stop the 150 decible booming megabass from that loser patroling the playa by himself at 4 am in his "art car," try a rocket propelled grenade.

Doesn't fit in my ear.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Megaflow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:01 pm

Typically I buy the industrial size box of earplugs and gift them. If you see me driving around in my chariot this year stop me and ask for a pair.
Megaflow

ear plugs are itchy!

Postby karr » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:39 am

robotland wrote:Just ran around like crazy until I was tired enough to sleep uninterruptedly...

I found that to be the best remedy to ear plugs. I did not need earplugs my second year...Even with the camp across from my camp playing loud music.

My first year I did use the regular type ear plugs from Wally World and took a sleeping pill. You roll them and they thin out a bit and you insert. I did wake up a few mornings to find them out of my ear.

I hate ear plugs, regardless of the kind of plugs I've tried, the insides of my ears get itchy.
I am the girl you will talk to and ask questions to and end up more confused than when you started.
karr

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:56 am

An oldie but goodie. Bump.

Mind you, this is an old thread, many of the posters are no longer haunting eplaya.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Rilopie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 am

ooh thanks for bumping this. I seem to have the ear canals of a 6 year old because I can never get the adult sized "squeeze and roll" ones to even get into mah ear holes. A dj friend of mine was recommending some kind of ear plugs with rings(?) and said that you can adjust how much sound is blocked by pushing them in or pulling them out more (heh heh).
Does anyone have any experience with these?
I'm liking the idea of the custom molded ones though.
Rilopie

Postby Parasitoid » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:55 am

Good info for people that need quiet.

however I really look forward to being woken up by all sorts of strange music and sounds all the time. There is something lovely about waking up to something incredibly obnoxious, laughing, roll over, and fall back asleep.
Parasitoid

Postby Bounce530 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 am

Get a can of expanding foam, give a shot in each ear, wait a few minutes, and there you go..custom earplugs.

TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby TomServo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:10 am

or...for a more permanent fit

anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:16 am

The white silicone earplugs from the pharmacy section continue to suit this light sleeper the best. I have small ears so I rip them in half, which made them a lot more comfortable. Bonus: a box lasts longer this way.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby TomServo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:31 am

Used these, when I worked as a press operator. Think the cord may reduce the chance of one getting lost and becoming moop.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 pm

I use the yellow cylindrical cheap-ass ones.
Just add exhaustion and Melatonin. Oh, and apathy.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Rilopie wrote:ooh thanks for bumping this. I seem to have the ear canals of a 6 year old because I can never get the adult sized "squeeze and roll" ones to even get into mah ear holes. A dj friend of mine was recommending some kind of ear plugs with rings(?) and said that you can adjust how much sound is blocked by pushing them in or pulling them out more (heh heh).
Does anyone have any experience with these?
I'm liking the idea of the custom molded ones though.

I don't like the ringed ones.

I've never used any better than

Including yellow ones from the Army, the wax stuff you mold into your ear, the ringed ones, the ones with a stopper at the end, etc. I'm a light sleeper and my first few burns were difficult.

I've had people in my tent talking to me, and I didn't wake up (and I'm a light sleeper).

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ear-Plugs- ... B000NP79YM

Unless you really are like, a baby, I don't see how they wouldn't fit. You roll it thin and let it expand after it's in your ear.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Turnip » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:29 pm

I use the basic squish and roll ones. They work almost too well.
My only problem is a life time of ear problems and scar tissue have shrank my ear canal on my left side so it takes a little fandangling.
Also I'm one of those types that has to have white noise when sleeping so having ear plugs in can only be explained as "Blaring Silence" that takes me a good while to actually get used to.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby Boijoy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:02 pm

I have tiny ear canals also, the larger purple ear plugs hurt & stick out too far. I use the "pretty in pink" for ladies. they are great!

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:30 pm

If I'm stuck with regular ear plugs, I whack off the ends with a pair of scissors.

An altoids tin under your pillow is perfect earplug storage when not in use.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Ears have very different shapes.

Cirrus makes a child's version that usually works for those.
Use over the ear to really be effective.
There are custom molded ones too.
gyre

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 am

I know someone who likes those Hearos and doesn't use any other brand despite trying many.

For myself, I found some old pair that my friend gave me and I somehow had in the jacket I decided to bring along. Didn't help with the thump music, but it worked for most everything else.

For walking the playa itself, I wanted to hear the music, but I didn't want to be deafened by it. So I just wadded up a bit of tissue paper and put it in my ears. It cut the high frequency noise down, but it was still very listenable. I could wander into dance areas without problem, and it helped with hearing peoples' voices too. Your high frequency hearing goes first, so protect that as much as you can.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby teardropper » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm

I bring 'em, but rarely use them. The noise doesn't seem to bother me much. I don't go to BM to sleep. I get enough and the noise, even some insane decibel blasting art car coming down the road at 4 AM just makes me roll over and muse, cool, I'm at Burning Man...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby DrPeffer » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:34 am

The best way to get a good seal out of those foam earplugs is to pinch and roll them between your thumb and index finger, and then hit them with a little spit before putting them in your ears. You'll be amazed...
DrPeffer

Re: Earplugs tips

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:06 am

I've used the silicone earplugs in other camping situations, albeit less noisy ones :shock: and love them, especially when I get the seal just right on the more outer part of the ear.

One quick question though: how do they stand up to the heat on the playa? I don't want to come back to my box truck and find my earplugs reduced to a puddle of dusty silicone...
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Savannah » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:13 am

My silicone earplugs never melt in a hot tent. I wouldn't leave them on a nice piece of velvet or anything in case they soften or whatever, but they always make it through the burn okay.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:43 am

I can't seem to deal with earplugs in while I am sleeping, every different type, even made just for me silicone ones, but after even just a short amount of time they hurt my ears and the same goes for earbuds for my mp3 player. I can handle them for about an hour and then they hurt. I am a however a light sleeper what works best for me is a white noise machine, rain, ocean waves, waterfall, crickets, ect. and mine has a 110 plug in or it works on batteries, 4 AA which lasts for about 4-5 nights at full volume. No matter what is going on outside the tent, I still sleep like a baby. More comfortable then the darned earplugs:-) They cost anywhere from $16.00 to probably $50 and I don't go anywhere overnight without it.
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby lemur » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:51 am

for whitenoise at the burn i turn my little radio i bring to listen to bmir/radio to a fuzzy station and crank it up.. put in the earplugs and enjoy a wonderful sleep.

my campmates may wonder what the wooshing noises are but nobody has ever commented on it.... and it aint loud enough to disturb anyone anyways.. just enough to get the little convos and people walking past out of my head.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby mzfit » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:32 am

I use the foam Hearo's earplugs. I used to have trouble sleeping in them - but found that if I insert them a bit deeper - that there is nothing sticking out past my ear to catch on anything when I roll over. I haven't lost an earplug during sleep in a few years. They are soft earplugs and they fit well - for me at least. I am fairly sensitive to pain in my ears from most headphones - they tend to stretch things and it leads to a dull ache after a bit. I ended up spending a small fortune on great headphones (Shure brand) that fit right. It makes a difference when I go snowboarding - as they don't stick out of my ear much and don't get pressed on by my helmet ( yeah helmet - I have had several friends with life altering injuries from not wearing a helmet - and I have had a few concussions from falls so I always wear a helmet now when boarding).
mzfit

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks