"Burning Friends"-Official Theme of 2012

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: "Burning Friends"-Official Theme of 2012

Postby dangerous » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:53 am

radical-inclusion wrote:Thanks Borg for ruining 2012

Borg hasn't ruined anything for me, but burners like you have. yes, i am one of those burgins that got your ticket. at least you won't be on the playa to remind me every day.

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Retrofrolic

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:56 am

sage_ wrote:

Borg hasn't ruined anything for me, but burners like you have. yes, i am one of those burgins that got your ticket. at least you won't be on the playa to remind me every day.

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 am

I think that's 5 points Sage.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby pink » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:03 am

Plus to Sage! But dont let dorks like RI ruin your playa experience before or after. I got my ticket from a burgin friend with an extra. I can hear the happy dance in his voice every time we talk.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby radical-inclusion » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:04 am

One problem that I should highlight here is that since the tickets are now in the hands of the scalpers, planning for a year in advance is now almost impossible. Planning for a year in advance is what makes BM great. I can easily get a ticket from scalpers as the main event approaches this year but I do not want to go to a main event that is backwards without the full year planning. There is no scarcity of tickets, there is scarcity of time to plan. I bought my ticket last year 3 days before the Burn for 400. I guarantee I can get one for that price again....but without the thousands of Burners who plan for a whole year, the event will not be worth my time this year. I usually go with a friend or two, so getting to the burn for me wont be a problem even if I pay 1000 bucks a ticket. The problem is with camps that my Dad is in will not be attending this year because none of them got tickets. My Dad is 70 years old and everyone loves his camp, but will not be there this year. :(
radical-inclusion

Postby wh..sh » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:28 am

radical-inclusion wrote:but without the thousands of Burners who plan for a whole year, the event will not be worth my time this year.

You know what they say assumptions, don't you?
People I know, even the one without tickets, are planning for the event just like they would if they had tickets.

Too bad your dad is not going. But that doesn't mean we should make it worse for others.
If you really feel that the event is not worth your time, then staying home is the right decision. Good for you!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby radical-inclusion » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:38 am

People I know, even the one without tickets, are planning for the event just like they would if they had tickets.

Thanks!
another point proven about the failure of the ticket program, Borg, and those people who plan to go to places without tickets.
radical-inclusion

Postby wh..sh » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:43 am

radical-inclusion wrote:

Thanks!
another point proven about the failure of the ticket program, Borg, and those people who plan to go to places without tickets.

Glad to help prove whatever obvious point you are trying to prove.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby pink » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:08 pm

It means one less spectator. Too bad about his dad though.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:17 pm

I tell you what's really too bad about his dad, is I've decided to just sort of skim his posts (he's not quite plonk material), so I don't really even know how cool his dad is, only that in the midst of his whining, his dad's worth shines out...
(Do you suppose his dad goes to poker night and says "my son is such a weinie..."?)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:24 pm

sage_ wrote:

Sage, you have just reminded me why I am so excited about this year. I can't wait to see the energy y'all bring to the event ('cause you already have our snark down-pat, and that's a Good Thing!)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby dangerous » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:51 pm

radical-inclusion wrote:but without the thousands of Burners who plan for a whole year, the event will not be worth my time this year. I usually go with a friend or two, so getting to the burn for me wont be a problem even if I pay 1000 bucks a ticket. The problem is with camps that my Dad is in will not be attending this year because none of them got tickets. My Dad is 70 years old and everyone loves his camp, but will not be there this year. :(

i have been planning my first burn since 1999.

i actually feel a bit unkind for my last comment and i apologize. its obvious that you really love the event and your frusration and disappointment should not be discounted. i am very sorry that everyone who wants to share in the burn cannot. i am sorry i won't get to meet your dad this year. but can't you be just a bit happy for those of us who will be there?

let go of your anger. its not good for your cortisol levels.

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Retrofrolic

Postby Ratty » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:27 pm

2012 RUINED! Not by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin. I plan to have the best burn yet. I don't depend on large, (or even small), theme camps to fill my days. Do you think that the early burns were horrible? As long as I get a plot of dust to set up in I'll be in BM Heaven. It may or it may not improve with an influx of fresh faces. But.............No matter what...........I'll come home after 7 days covered with playa, tired, starved for fresh meat and smiling.

I know I shouldn't post on this thread. I should ignore it and let it die. It's just that I got so happy thinking about the great time I'm gonna have.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Yay Ratty!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 pm

trilobyte wrote:BORG didn't ruin anything. First, we won't know whether it's ruined until September. And second, the real problem is more demand than supply. 3x more requests for tickets than available tickets to be had, and that's after the system was reworked to block the scalperbots. Had demand not been off the charts this year, there would have been enough to go around so that even with hoarders in the mix chances would have been 3 in 4 or 4 in 5 would get tix, not 1 in 3.

If the whole situation is making you sick or ruining the experience - take the year off. It won't kill you - every year, lots of truly amazing burners take the year off for a variety of reasons.

Is that just like we won't know how the lottery will work until .... And we won't know how STEP program will be until... And we won't know how the burn will be until...

You know I like you Trillo, but your rose colored glassed have continually misguidied your prognostications. Speaking only for myself and my personal thoughts and feelings, how can the event not be ruined when most of the people I have come to associate with my burn won't be there? The only thing that can't be predicted for sure is the extent to which it will be ruined.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 pm

jkisha wrote:You know I like you Trillo, but your rose colored glassed have continually misguidied your prognostications. Speaking only for myself and my personal thoughts and feelings, how can the event not be ruined when most of the people I have come to associate with my burn won't be there? The only thing that can't be predicted for sure is the extent to which it will be ruined.

Because neither you, nor your friends, are "the event." Also, when you've already given up this early in the game because the conditions are not ideal, and will not even attempt to make lemonade with lemons, how can you expect to not ever have your trip ruined?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jaskorhov213 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm

FIGJAM wrote:The dogs bark, but the caravan move on! 8)

i agree :wink:
jaskorhov213

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:42 pm

@jkisha - nobody (not even you) predicted such an overwhelming response from new people, which is what gummed up the works on the lottery. As for STEP, it's doing pretty much exactly what was expected. It doesn't add to the ticket pool, it's just a tool for people to pass them along. I'm sorry that you're not able to have a good time without a particular group of friends there, but I don't think everybody measures success or failure of the event or the experience that way. I sure don't. I do enjoy spending time with my friends, and I wish I could have visited with or spent time with more of them (felt like I missed seeing most of them last year), but that's not the only reason I go to Burning Man. And thinking back, some of the best moments of the last several burns I've gone to have been spent with people I hadn't met before the event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:43 pm

And yet, jk, you didn't arrange for everyone to meet someplace other than burningman, to have a "family" reunion of sorts in San Diego or on the shore... I'm not saying that you shouldn't care about your camp, I'm just saying that burningman gives us the opportunity to "live in the moment". Fred's not here? But George and China and Medageth are... We all miss Fred, but are we simply chopped liver without him? And look, here's someone new, apparently her name is Agnes, wow, she turns out to be interesting and funny.
You can call it "no expectations"; you can call it "zen"; you can simply decide that you don't need a bunch of pre-conditions to happiness, and that you will find happiness in yourself wherever you are, whomever you're with. I'm not going to pretend that ticketing this year hasn't been, and still is in fact, an ordeal. In some way, we've had our skins torn off. Now we have to deal with the event--and our feelings about the event, whether we go or not--directly, without the comfort that layer of illusion, that feeling of control, that easy predictability our skin brought us. It hasn't been pretty. Most of us have seen and expressed things that aren't particularly pretty. Some of us may decide that the burn is a bitch-goddess we never want to see again. Some of us will do anything to keep going. Most of us are going to end up being careful not to be so vulnerable again.
Yet, somehow, I can't help but think that in our pre-burn for this year, we are so much more human, or at least we are human in such a different way, that it is valuable for us. Yay! We've gone through another crucible! More dross has been burned away!
I dunno. Wherever you go, there you are, once again. I guess.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby The CO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:50 pm

wh..sh wrote:You know what they say assumptions, don't you?

Something about an ass and the mother of all fuck-ups, if I recall.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby jkisha » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:37 pm

BBadger wrote:
jkisha wrote:You know I like you Trillo, but your rose colored glassed have continually misguidied your prognostications. Speaking only for myself and my personal thoughts and feelings, how can the event not be ruined when most of the people I have come to associate with my burn won't be there? The only thing that can't be predicted for sure is the extent to which it will be ruined.

Because neither you, nor your friends, are "the event." Also, when you've already given up this early in the game because the conditions are not ideal, and will not even attempt to make lemonade with lemons, how can you expect to not ever have your trip ruined?

How I feel is how I feel. Obviously you feel differently. If we decide to go, I will have a good time albeit a very different time than years past. Obviously, your friends are not as important to you as mine are to me. So, Thank you and fuck you. I don't need to be consoled, nor counseled. Hey, I've got tickets.
Last edited by jkisha on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby NoAngel » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Don't confuse the number of times you've posted with whether you've had anything worthwhile to read or whether you've had anything to contribute to the event. Pontification doesn't equal a contribution. Jamming your fingers in your ears precludes any chance of listening.

If the T-Word is a naughty utterance, and now it's a heresy to even speak that the Borg might have made some mistake, then you shouldn't bother reading or responding to The 2012 Ticket Discussion. There are many other threads and subjects that might need you more. Perhaps you might have something positive to contribute.

The continually dismissive attitude that the current ticketing situation isn't a problem for the community is arrogant at best and stupidity at it's worst . The event HAS been ruined for many people on a very personal level.

How this actually unfolds on the playa is a totally different matter though. Every burn is different.

Flame away! When you get done with that try to do something that translates to something positive on the playa!
blackrockcabanas@gmail.com
NoAngel

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: The Cabana Club

Postby BBadger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 am

jkisha wrote:How I feel is how I feel. Obviously you feel differently. If we decide to go, I will have a good time albeit a very different time than years past. Obviously, your friends are not as important to you as mine are to me. So, Thank you and fuck you. I don't need to be consoled, nor counseled. Hey, I've got tickets.

Obviously that's a stupid and false assumption. And yes, I do feel differently: my friendships, and the time I enjoy with my friends, do not hinge on whether we go to some art festival each year. Perhaps you're simply more in love with the event than your friends.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jella » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:05 am

Ratty wrote:2012 RUINED! Not by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin. I plan to have the best burn yet. I don't depend on large, (or even small), theme camps to fill my days. Do you think that the early burns were horrible? As long as I get a plot of dust to set up in I'll be in BM Heaven. It may or it may not improve with an influx of fresh faces. But.............No matter what...........I'll come home after 7 days covered with playa, tired, starved for fresh meat and smiling.

I know I shouldn't post on this thread. I should ignore it and let it die. It's just that I got so happy thinking about the great time I'm gonna have.

8) I approve this post
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby jkisha » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 am

BBadger wrote:
jkisha wrote:How I feel is how I feel. Obviously you feel differently. If we decide to go, I will have a good time albeit a very different time than years past. Obviously, your friends are not as important to you as mine are to me. So, Thank you and fuck you. I don't need to be consoled, nor counseled. Hey, I've got tickets.

Obviously that's a stupid and false assumption. And yes, I do feel differently: my friendships, and the time I enjoy with my friends, do not hinge on whether we go to some art festival each year. Perhaps you're simply more in love with the event than your friends.

:roll: ya, whatever :roll:
JK
jkisha

Postby wh..sh » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 am

The CO wrote:
wh..sh wrote:You know what they say assumptions, don't you?

Something about an ass and the mother of all fuck-ups, if I recall.

100 points to you :)

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Thats funny, one of the initial reasons I first went to Burning man was to get out of my comfort zone and meet new people. Most of my friends weren't even there my first 5 years until last year when I changed camps. Before that I made playa friends, some of them I would just see once a year and some only once ever. Now that I finally camped with lots of people I know and see all year round, I know that comfort level, as last year was definitely the best yet for me. However, the challenge of making new friends is rewarding and can enhance it I believe.....If my new camp/old friends do not make it back, I would just go back to the more autonomous Burning Man. Either way works.
RedHeaven

Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:58 pm

You know, RH.. I kind of laugh/wonder/observe this same thing.

For being a place and experience where unique experiences are pretty much.. uh.. the biggest building block of the entire gig.. it amazes me what a huge percentage of the population is so STUCK in being with the same people.. the same camp.. the same location.. year after year.. after year.. after year.. after year.

SNAP OUT OF IT!!

Change is good.. We need change to shake it up a bit and keep things fresh.. with new experiences.. new faces.. new art.. new theme camps.. new everything.

You wanna know the truth? I'm excited as hell for the future. The more I see the hand wringing and crotchety old timers crying and bitching about this "ticket fiasco" ( :roll: ).. the more excited I am to see the wheat separate from the chaff.. and morph into a true Burning Man 2.0

Stoked. Bring it.
junglesmacks

Postby Eric » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:01 pm

junglesmacks wrote:You wanna know the truth? I'm excited as hell for the future. The more I see the hand wringing and crotchety old timers crying and bitching about this "ticket fiasco" ( :roll: ).. the more excited I am to see the wheat separate from the chaff.. and morph into a true Burning Man 2.0

Yup.

I am seriously looking forward to it and I cannot fucking wait to see what happens. Talk about No Expectations, this is the be-all and end-all of that!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Eric wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:You wanna know the truth? I'm excited as hell for the future. The more I see the hand wringing and crotchety old timers crying and bitching about this "ticket fiasco" ( :roll: ).. the more excited I am to see the wheat separate from the chaff.. and morph into a true Burning Man 2.0

Yup.

I am seriously looking forward to it and I cannot fucking wait to see what happens. Talk about No Expectations, this is the be-all and end-all of that!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One thing that WILL change this year is that I'll remember to bring Fandango some serious mixers.. at just the right moment.
junglesmacks

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion