Greetings from Virginia!

Greetings from Virginia!

Postby KBorkey » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:18 pm

My husband, my 15 year old daughter and I are really looking forward to our FIRST visit to Burning Man! Tickets have been ordered, and a 1978 diesel bus (fueling with Bio thank you very much) has been purchased!

I would love any and all helpful hints and suggestions that anyone would care to offer.

Also - looking to hook up with other groups traveling with teens!

Please e-mail me!

Kathlen(at)Borkey(dot)org
KBorkey

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Man, Im ALWAYS looking to hook up with teens! :D

[since you're new, I'll confess that Im just JOKING!]

WELCOME! Sounds like you're gonna make a great contribution to Burning Man--already scored a bio diesel bus and all!

Plenty of advice here, but plenty of BS and a sprinkling or two of snarky attitude, its an art differentiating among the three. Have you contacted anyone in your nearest Regional to see about carpooling? the search fuction here doesn't work very well, but its a good start.

ASnyway, WELCOME Aboard for a great adventure!
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:05 pm

Yes Virginia, There is a Burning Man.
unjonharley

Postby BitterDan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:00 pm

Hey there! Welcome and it sounds like you'll fit right in.

Keep in mind that eplaya is not THE playa and you will find a lot of sarcastic or even hurtful posts at times. Just take it all with a grain of salt and know that people are much less snarky ON the playa (well, mostly).

Yes Virginia, There is a Burning Man.

That's great! :D
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby BitterDan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:11 pm

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Burning Man.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Burning Man?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except what they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Burning Man. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Burning Man. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Burning Man! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the deserts on Labor Day Weekend to catch Burning Man, but even if they did not see Burning Man, what would that prove? Nobody sees Burning Man, but that is no sign that there is no Burning Man. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Burning Man! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:42 pm

Every newbie needs one of these:

Oh, and you are welcome!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sensei » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Hey, it's K1tten's momma!
Sensei

wut!!?

Postby K1tten » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:47 am

[quote="Sensei"]Hey, it's K1tten's momma![/quote]

Wut!?! :shock: Where did you get that idea O.o???
K1tten

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:15 am

IS the BS detector available at Wal-Mart?
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:52 am

mdmf007 wrote:IS the BS detector available at Wal-Mart?

They're giving them away free tomorrow. :?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re: Greetings from Virginia!

Postby Thorormr » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:29 am

Old thread is old, but a random search landed me here, so bump it is.

Another hello from Virginia. Not having much luck getting in contact with burners local to myself, even through the regional net.

Here is a partial repost of one of my introductions:

Useful skills: Aggressive MOOP conversion, ecologically aware, hydration cheerleader, art-blacksmithing and welding, tool/die maker and machinist, Bob Ross channeling, incorrigible INTJ, disaster preparedness, OSHA certified level B Hazmat responder, health nut. I'm working my way towards a nomadic lifestyle, I know where my towel is, I have been landline free for twelve years and the most people I ever cooked for with the least equipment was 100, the ribs I did that day are legend.

I've also started messing around with poi and I have the Audio Sauna app for Chrome because I have the itch to try making music again.

So yeah, anyone need another pair of semi-skilled hands? :lol:
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

Postby jkisha » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby mgb327 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Wow, there are a few of us from Virginia, I see. I am in the country near Charlottesville. I drove to TTITD last year in my Suburban, 6,000 mile round trip. Got to Calpine, Cal. in 3 days. Going again this year. As of yet, I have never run into a "live" Burner in the wild here, only online. See you on the Playa soon........
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby ygmir » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:39 pm

and I thought this thread meant Ms. Woolf was coming this year!
I'm not afraid...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby DanusLight » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Yay for Virginia! First timer here. Can. Not. Wait.
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I only clicked because I thought he said "vagina".
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Savannah » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:58 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I only clicked because I thought he said "vagina".

Yes, Junglesmacks, there is a vagina! They exist as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no vaginas. It would be as dreary as if there were no BURNING MAN. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in vagina! You might as well not believe in fairies!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:52 am

This post deserves a long, slow, patriotic clap.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Straightveg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:51 pm

Yet another Virginian looking to connect with local burners. I've heard rumors of a theme camp from the Richmond area with some members from Hampton Roads, but haven't been able to find a contact for them. (Paging the Party Liberation Front, Where the hell are you?) I'm a virgin stuck in STEP limbo, thinking about alternate plans for either Transformus or the fall Playa del Fuego.
Black Rock City or Bust Dust!
Straightveg

Postby Thorormr » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Straightveg wrote:Yet another Virginian looking to connect with local burners. I've heard rumors of a theme camp from the Richmond area with some members from Hampton Roads, but haven't been able to find a contact for them. (Paging the Party Liberation Front, Where the hell are you?) I'm a virgin stuck in STEP limbo, thinking about alternate plans for either Transformus or the fall Playa del Fuego.

There is also Scorched Nuts over Memorial day weekend if you don't mind a drive up to Ohio. Both of those other events are also on my potential calendar. There is also a contingent of VA/MD burners that double duty in the SCA that go to Frostburn (same site as Pennsic, the SCA event). Get in contact with MyDearFriend here on ePlaya, she's in DC and might be able to sound out the Richmond contact.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 am

Welcome to eplaya! I used to live up in Northern VA. Where did you buy the bus? I have always wanted to get a bus and fix it up for trips.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 am

SquirrelHead wrote:Welcome to eplaya! I used to live up in Northern VA. Where did you buy the bus? I have always wanted to get a bus and fix it up for trips.

That bus post is 4 years old, but there is a really good thread about buses which is still active at http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=27783
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:24 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
SquirrelHead wrote:Welcome to eplaya! I used to live up in Northern VA. Where did you buy the bus? I have always wanted to get a bus and fix it up for trips.

That bus post is 4 years old, but there is a really good thread about buses which is still active at http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=27783

Thanks for the heads up and the link. I have got to start looking at the dates. lol
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Thorormr » Fri May 11, 2012 1:36 am

Straightveg wrote:Yet another Virginian looking to connect with local burners. I've heard rumors of a theme camp from the Richmond area with some members from Hampton Roads, but haven't been able to find a contact for them. (Paging the Party Liberation Front, Where the hell are you?) I'm a virgin stuck in STEP limbo, thinking about alternate plans for either Transformus or the fall Playa del Fuego.

I have now created a (dreaded) Farcebook group in an attempt to begin the rise of a local cadre of burners. I have two smallish cities (live in one, the other is less than thirty minutes) a larger city (forty minutes away) and I hear absolutely nothing going on. Odds are there are people there doing the same thing I am, wondering where everyone is at.

Winchester, VA
Martinsburg, WV
Hagerstown, MD

That's right, I don't mind blending states. The geography is a little odd in these parts anyhow. There just seems to be a total vacuum once you get away from the DC/Baltimore area until you get significantly into PA, or far south near Richmond and NC. So I'm putting myself out there and sticking a flag up in the air.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/152419518221811/

Oh, and the second run of Transformus tickets sold out within a couple hours. Missed my chance while at work, my Plan B is Pennsic 41. I'm also planning my own "didn't get Burning Man tickets" thing, and I'm heading out to Ohio for two regionals up there too. It's also the start of my networking transportation plans for Burning Man 2013.
Thorormr

Postby zifra » Fri May 11, 2012 8:16 pm

If you cannot locate any local folks, we are always welcoming of folks from all over!

Just give me a shout.

Zifra
Zifra
100'th Monkey Camp
G at 8:45
Black Rock City 2012

"Feel it, Live it, Share it!"
zifra

Return to Introduce Yourself!