butcher in reno who will pre freeze meats

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

butcher in reno who will pre freeze meats

Postby Mamachicken32 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey there....we r driving in from philadelphia actually moving to cali and hitting up our other home brc on the way there.....I can't find hotel rooms with full fridges and freezers that don't cost as much as a bm ticket but I want to buy and freeze meat prior to heading out to the playa once we pick up the uhaul....are there any butchers that would freeze the meat for us? Previsouly coming from cali once we froze it in bags then put water in a freezer bag and froze it around it and it worked perfect.... But obviously not going to do that from philly. We have meat markets here in philly that would so I was wondering if there are any butchers or markets I could contact to see if that's possible....we would pay for it all even bag ourselves just need them to freeze it the night before we head out....thanks for any help.
MamaChicken Haggard Oboe
Mamachicken32

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Ken's nutz

Re: butcher in reno who will pre freeze meats

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:30 pm

omaha steaks is able to ship frozen meat all around the country with dry ice and thick styrofoam coolers...

surely you can figure out something similar...

if they can do it! so can you!

(plus you can get dry ice in all kinds of places along the way to top it off... buy the meat you want locally and bring it with you from home....)

Q How are Omaha Steaks products shipped?
A With our "Mini Deep Freeze" packaging your Omaha Steaks order will arrive frozen and in perfect condition. We use plenty of dry ice and a polystyrene insulated cooler - a packaging combination that will withstand any kind of weather.

Q What shipping options do I have?
A Our standard shipping method will get your package delivered within 7-10 business days or less from the day we receive your order. We currently use UPS for delivery.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby VultureChow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:13 am

Mamachicken32 wrote:Hey there....we r driving in from philadelphia actually moving to cali and hitting up our other home brc on the way there.....I can't find hotel rooms with full fridges and freezers that don't cost as much as a bm ticket but I want to buy and freeze meat prior to heading out to the playa once we pick up the uhaul....are there any butchers that would freeze the meat for us? Previsouly coming from cali once we froze it in bags then put water in a freezer bag and froze it around it and it worked perfect.... But obviously not going to do that from philly. We have meat markets here in philly that would so I was wondering if there are any butchers or markets I could contact to see if that's possible....we would pay for it all even bag ourselves just need them to freeze it the night before we head out....thanks for any help.

Homewood Suites by the airport is $126 per night with prepayment, and they have fridges and freezers. I was thinking about doing a similar thing. Flying in from NJ, buying steaks at costco, vacuum packing individual steaks and freezing them.

But the more I look at it, the more I think it would be cheaper to have a secondary smaller cooler and buy a couple of pounds of dry ice. It freezes at a lower temp than a normal freezer and it's pretty cheap, $0.80 a pound here in NJ.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby ygmir » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:17 am

Schwans also might be of help.
if you have any contacts in Reno, maybe you could order, have it delivered frozen, and pick it up when you arrive?

Schwan trucks also carry a lot of stuff for general "sale".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Mamachicken32 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Thank You for the information... So you are saying the hotel you listed has full freezers/ I know some places have like the mini fridge with the small, you can fit one bottle of booze freezers in it lol

I do not want to lug meat from Philly because our car is filled and so we rented a Uhaul in reno to accommodate the actual Burn. I was looking into finding some local reno Burners willing to rent a room or couch out for the night who would let us use their fridge.

As far as ideas Jersey person ( Iam from jersey to lol) the best way to freeze it is to vaccum seal it then lock it in a freezer bag that has water in it and freeze it in that. That way it's in an ice cube.

Dry ice.. maybe you can help. I did dry ice year one of the burn and everything tasted like chemicals... I could have done it wrong...maybe that was the problem I guess I should look in to that one as well.

I am going to contact the hotel to see what type of freezers they have in the room.

Thank You So Much
MamaChicken Haggard Oboe
Mamachicken32

Postby VultureChow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Mamachicken32 wrote:Thank You for the information... So you are saying the hotel you listed has full freezers/ I know some places have like the mini fridge with the small, you can fit one bottle of booze freezers in it lol

I do not want to lug meat from Philly because our car is filled and so we rented a Uhaul in reno to accommodate the actual Burn. I was looking into finding some local reno Burners willing to rent a room or couch out for the night who would let us use their fridge.

As far as ideas Jersey person ( Iam from jersey to lol) the best way to freeze it is to vaccum seal it then lock it in a freezer bag that has water in it and freeze it in that. That way it's in an ice cube.

Dry ice.. maybe you can help. I did dry ice year one of the burn and everything tasted like chemicals... I could have done it wrong...maybe that was the problem I guess I should look in to that one as well.

I am going to contact the hotel to see what type of freezers they have in the room.

Thank You So Much

I've stayed in other Homewood Suites before. They are typically near airports and have microwaves and full size fridge/freezers in them. Plenty big enough to freeze a good amount of stuff. Some also have "happy hours" during the week with free food and beer. Not sure about the weekends, cause I usually use for business.

I've used dry ice with individually wrapped ice cream bars (never tried meat) and never noticed a chemical taste. I would think that with the vacuum packaging it would preclude any odor or taste from entering. Maybe double bagging them. I'll do some more research and maybe do a test run with a few steaks.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby Mamachicken32 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 pm

you are right I called that hotel. All rooms have full kitchens. That is going to be my choice.... Ms/Mr New Jersey, if you got tickets and would like to go in on the room, we can book a double bed that way we have the kitchen???

Just a thought if you are interested.
MamaChicken Haggard Oboe
Mamachicken32

Postby VultureChow » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Mamachicken32 wrote:you are right I called that hotel. All rooms have full kitchens. That is going to be my choice.... Ms/Mr New Jersey, if you got tickets and would like to go in on the room, we can book a double bed that way we have the kitchen???

Glad I could help.

Thanks for the invite. I have my ticket, but not quite sure of my schedule yet. If my dry ice experiment works out, I think I might go the cheap route downtown.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Postby Mamachicken32 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:27 pm

No problem just let me know. ; )
MamaChicken Haggard Oboe
Mamachicken32

Postby JRoyale » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Mamachicken32 wrote:you are right I called that hotel. All rooms have full kitchens. That is going to be my choice.... Ms/Mr New Jersey, if you got tickets and would like to go in on the room, we can book a double bed that way we have the kitchen???

Bad idea. Unless you are planning on freezing a relatively small amount of meat, the cooler and the dry ice are the way to go. You just won't have enough BTUs in the standard freezer to freeze a lot of meat overnight. Additionally, you've already got your meat in a vessel you can transport to the playa. Just buy more dry ice. And remember to take the meat out of your freezer cooler and into a normal cooler the day before you cook it.

Tip: buy one of those vacuum food savers and pack your meat in that. Much better than ziplock baggies.
JRoyale

Postby JRoyale » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Mamachicken32 wrote:Dry ice.. maybe you can help. I did dry ice year one of the burn and everything tasted like chemicals... I could have done it wrong...maybe that was the problem I guess I should look in to that one as well.

Yeah, like I said, use the vacuum saver bags and don't let the meat directly touch the dry ice.

And experiment at home.

JR
JRoyale

Postby Mojojita » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Dry ice is definitely the way to go - I agree that it is unlikely you will be able to freeze very much just overnight. There are good threads on using dry ice here. Have used it every year with no chemical flavors at all. We do wrap the dry ice blocks in foil and paper bags, then tape closed - might be why no chemical taste.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby LostinReno » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:16 am

Mamachicken32 wrote:......so we rented a Uhaul in reno to accommodate the actual Burn. I was looking into finding some local reno Burners willing to rent a room or couch out for the night who would let us use their fridge.

Since it's early in the game....cancel your UHaul rental and call Budget. If UHaul in Reno even has an inkling you are going to burning man, they will not rent to you and then you will be stuck without a vehicle. Budget is burner friendly.

JRoyale wrote:Yeah, like I said, use the vacuum saver bags and don't let the meat directly touch the dry ice.

And experiment at home.

JR

Great advise.

If you have lots of $ to spend on meat you might want to contact "The Market on South Virginia" (formerly European Food Mart, formally Butcher Boy), they are kind of what used to be "Butcher Boy" (I think some of the same people are involved), they sell frozen and fresh meat, lots of exotics too (ostrich, buffalo, etc.) If you call them ahead, I'm sure they can deep freeze anything you need prior to pick up. They are really pricey. :shock:
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 am

They are still Butcher Boy, read the sign out front.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby LostinReno » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:35 am

oneeyeddick wrote:They are still Butcher Boy, read the sign out front.

Are they this week? LOL, there for a while they kept changing names. "Butcher Boy" was always there in some form but in some smallish print off to the side.I just figured they had to do it that way for legal reasons due to the demise of the Rock Blvd. store....which I miss. :cry: It hasn't been the same since they moved. Their tri-tip is still the shiz though.
LostinReno

Postby wh..sh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am

Butcher Boy (or whatever they are called now) south of town is closing.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby LostinReno » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 am

wh..sh wrote:Butcher Boy (or whatever they are called now) south of town is closing.

Bummer. Thanks for the info wh..sh! I haven't been down that way in a while. Another local biz bites it. :?
LostinReno

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:25 pm

There is a Smart and Final off of Plumb, which is the airport exit and about 5 minutes from Reno International, that sells dry ice. They also have a ton of frozen meat, prepack stuff. They are a regular non-membership grocery store, but are oriented towards food service/restaurants. Also, there is a Costco in the same area.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby wh..sh » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:59 pm

LostinReno wrote:
wh..sh wrote:Butcher Boy (or whatever they are called now) south of town is closing.

Bummer. Thanks for the info wh..sh! I haven't been down that way in a while. Another local biz bites it. :?

I think it's going to be some pizza place...
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:14 pm

I haven't heard anything about it closing a second time, they both closed for a while, only to re-open just the south store about a year later.

I remember the trailer full of meat that rotted when they forgot to turn the unit on at the Rock Blvd store, we drove by there and could smell it all around that "s" curve there on Rock Blvd.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Those are the people I want to take care of my frozen meat needs!
No Scott jokes. Besides he's dust and ashes...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby LostinReno » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I remember the trailer full of meat that rotted when they forgot to turn the unit on at the Rock Blvd store, we drove by there and could smell it all around that "s" curve there on Rock Blvd.

That was so nasty!! The sidewalk looked like it was moving from all of the maggots. :shock: The rotted meat was from what I recall, all hunted meat that people had dropped off for them to butcher and decided they couldn't afford to pick it up, compounded with the bankruptcy of the original store and something to do with no power supply to the reefer unit. Stupid, sad waste. At least in Canada, they use that shit to feed the less fortunate, before it rots. I've had welfare Moose, it's pretty darned good! :)
LostinReno

Postby Boijoy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:06 pm

LostinReno wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:I remember the trailer full of meat that rotted when they forgot to turn the unit on at the Rock Blvd store, we drove by there and could smell it all around that "s" curve there on Rock Blvd.

That was so nasty!! The sidewalk looked like it was moving from all of the maggots. :shock: The rotted meat was from what I recall, all hunted meat that people had dropped off for them to butcher and decided they couldn't afford to pick it up, compounded with the bankruptcy of the original store and something to do with no power supply to the reefer unit. Stupid, sad waste. At least in Canada, they use that shit to feed the less fortunate, before it rots. I've had welfare Moose, it's pretty darned good! :)

& do you think the brain trusts in Reno who were in charge of the clean up would simply turn on the power to the trailer & simple re-freeze the meat & clean it up?? Nooooo.. they sent guys in space suits in the middle of summer into a trailer full of hot rotten meat. what a joke it all was.
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Reno officials can't think outside inside of the box, that's for sure on all counts
oneeyeddick

Return to Food & Drink