New theme for BM 2013...Radical Thinking (a ticket solution)

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

New theme for BM 2013...Radical Thinking (a ticket solution)

Postby vertigo900 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:15 pm

My gift to you...yes, just what you wanted...yet another ticket solution (for BM 2013).

NOVEMBER 2012 – RADICAL INCLUSION...the Pre-registration Period begins
1) New user creates a new account. The user’s email account is verified.
2) New user pre-registers by uploading a passport/mugshot quality photo, enters required contact info and valid photo ID number. Foreign travelers may substitute their passport number as their photo ID.
3) After submitting this data, the quality of the photo is verified and data is checked for repeat entries. If the data and photo pass Droid Control, a unique purchase code will be generated, assigned and emailed to the user. The user's full name and code can then be forwarded to anyone to purchase a group of tickets during the Ticket Registration Period in January. This purchase code can only be used to register once.

JANUARY 2013 – RADICAL EDUCATION, RADICAL FAIRNESS...Ticket Registration Period begins.
4) Everyone has 7 days to register for tickets. In order to filter out lazy virgins who heard about BM at a frat party or youtube video, everyone must successfully complete a word puzzle prior to being accepted into ticket registration. Vets and well-groomed virgins will know the answers or where to find them. Newbies would have to learn the Ten Principles, read the survival guide, BM website, etc. There could be multiple puzzles to reduce cheating. Some questions would repeat; others would be unique. Example question 1) "If it didn't come out of your body, don't _ _ _ - _ _ - _ _ - _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ ." Example question 2) In 2011, what was one of BRC streets renamed to? _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ . Everyone has one week to complete the puzzle before the registration period ends.
5) After logging in and successfully completing the puzzle, the user purchase code will be activated in the system. The user could then register for a ticket in the random selection (aka...the Lottery) or forward their full name and purchase code to another party.
6) Each user registered in the Random Selection process, will be assigned a randomly selected Purchase Order number. This number will decide the order each user will be selected for a ticket during the Main Sale and subsequent ticket resale process.
7) If the user is selected in the process but there is an issue with the credit card or lack of funds, rather than cancel the potential transaction, the user would be notified and allowed a short window of time to rectify the issue.
8 ) Tiered tickets are obsolete, create unnecessary demand, and simply award a select few at the expense of others.

RESALES - Tickets go back to the people, not to third parties. Ticket Depreciation.
9) Any ticket holders needing to resale their tickets can begin the cancellation, resale, and refund process at any time. The user simply logs into their account, agrees to have read and understood the Ticket Resale Terms and Conditions, and clicks a the resale button. The ticket barcode number will go back into the ticket pool for potential resale to an unknown third party at face value. If it can be resold, the original ticket holder will be refunded a portion of the original price, minus a depreciated value and processing fee. The depreciating value would give incentive for people to not wait until the last minute to cancel the ticket. This depreciating value would be based on the date the user began the resale process and not when the ticket was finally resold. After a ticket is resold, the hard copy ticket's barcode would be invalidated and the new ticket purchaser can either print out a new "paper ticket" with a new barcode or have one printed out at Will Call. If the ticket has not been resold, the user can remove the ticket from the pool at any time and attend the event. The funds generated from Ticket Depreciation Values would be made public and donated.
10) People who were not selected in the original ticket registration period would be eligible for the Ticket Resale process based on the original Purchase Order number their. This number would be shared with the user so they could determine the chances of them receiving a ticket. This user could log in and check if they are close in line to purchasing a ticket.

Ticket Depreciation Value examples:
- resale by before paper tickets issued...minus $50
- resale by July 1st...minus $75
- resale by Aug 1st...minus $100
- resale by Aug 15th....minus $200
- resale by Aug 25th...minus $300

AT THE GATE – Have your ticket and photo ID ready.
11) Everyone’s ticket is scanned and their photo ID number is compared with the database. If they do not have a photo ID (e.g.. people who forgot their ID, kids who don't have an ID, etc.) the uploaded photo will be used to verify they are not droids. If they are a potential droid, they will be requested to go to a special will call line. The vehicle carrying them will be directed to a waiting area while their passenger’s info is verified.

Artists, theme camps, and volunteers could be able to skip the lottery process based on their size/involvement/clean up from the previous year.

This solution:
...Stops scalpers 100%.
...Stops third party sales.
...Penalizes ticket hoarding.
...Reduces server overload and crashes.
...Makes it fair for all burners and virgins to have a chance at getting a ticket (not just the one’s with the most friends and credit cards).
...Filters out lazy newbies from buying a ticket.
...Encourages virgins to learn about the event BEFORE buying a ticket.
...Encourages burners to participate by volunteering, having theme camps and art installations.
...Encourages theme camps and artists to follow through with their projects and clean up their camp.

Okay, now I’m gonna say it....

Whoever designed this year’s ticketing system should be relieved of their position to design next year’s. Honestly. They designed a nearly perfect system for scalpers, virgins and burners to increase their odds while cheating thousands of others out of tickets. I double-dog dare anyone to argue with me on this point. Then, adding the tiered system to a random selection process merely illustrates the degree of total failure. Seriously. Who believes it’s fair to award the people who can afford a higher ticket with the lowest tier and better odds? There are many experts in various fields who raised the alarm back in November 2011 and their voices were dismissed and BMorg plowed full steam ahead. In January and February 2012, again many of them spoke up. But the damage had already been done. Now the causalities of those who don’t have tickets in our community currently exceeds 75 to 90%.

Please. Help restore our faith that those that designed the failed 2012 system and those who signed off on it can learn from mistakes. Please honor those of us who can’t go this year by perfecting the system for 2013. How? Let us bring in the eyes of the experts to test next year’s system with fresh brains. Let the outside experts in to help collectively locate and close loopholes permanently...BEFORE implementing, BEFORE final processes are announced, BEFORE tickets are sold. The strength of a system is only as strong as it’s loopholes. Please open up the process to public opinion. Many in the community are very concerned similar untested systems will be implemented in 2013. Please help ease the concerns of the community by being candid and open about next year’s ticket process. Begin this openness as soon as possible and BEFORE BM 2012. The sanctity of our family reunion in the desert has been incredibly damaged. We cannot afford to continue to repeat our mistakes in 2013.

Radical inclusion requires radical fairness, radical education, and radical openness.

Hey everyone...grab a cup, pull up a soap box...the Whine Bar is officially open! :lol:

...let’s hear it!
vertigo900

Re: New theme for BM 2013...Radical Thinking (a ticket solut

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:39 pm

lotterymast.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby vertigo900 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Well, that's one proposal...
vertigo900

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:09 pm

screen wipes, fucker.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:50 pm

That's the first new thing in this subforum I've seen all week, Bbadger.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:52 pm

And too true!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby radical-inclusion » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:23 am

I couldn't agree more. Whoever is responsible for this years ticketing decisions, should be relieved of their duties immediately. This is how all businesses with ethics handle employees who demonstrate absolute negligence.

"Absolute Ticketing Negligence" and "Complete disrespect" are now the number one and number two principles of Burning man 2012.

I am not interested in attending Burning man in Nevada for the same reasons as why I do not hang out with irresponsible people and shop at irresponsible stores. I have pride and do not like hanging out with irresponsibly organized people and functions who have no respect.

I don't have a complete list of how the Bmorg has disrespected us but maybe someone can make it?
radical-inclusion

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:52 am

radical-inclusion wrote:I couldn't agree more. Whoever is responsible for this years ticketing decisions, should be relieved of their duties immediately. This is how all businesses with ethics handle employees who demonstrate absolute negligence.

"Absolute Ticketing Negligence" and "Complete disrespect" are now the number one and number two principles of Burning man 2012.

I am not interested in attending Burning man in Nevada for the same reasons as why I do not hang out with irresponsible people and shop at irresponsible stores. I have pride and do not like hanging out with irresponsibly organized people and functions who have no respect.

I don't have a complete list of how the Bmorg has disrespected us but maybe someone can make it?

GO FUCK YOURSELF YOU STUPID HIPPY.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby lemur » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:07 am

I GOT YOUR TICKET SOLUTION RIGHT HERE PAL!!!

BOOM!!!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:52 am

Yo yo BROOKLYN!

Can i get a shout out to my Heebs in Park Slope!
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby lemur » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:40 am

WANT ME TO BEDAZZLE THAT TICKET SOLUTION!?

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby wh..sh » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:41 am

radical-inclusion wrote:I don't have a complete list of how the Bmorg has disrespected us but maybe someone can make it?

Angry but lazy...

Edit: To adhere to the general font theme of the thread.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby ygmir » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:45 am

wh..sh wrote:
radical-inclusion wrote:I don't have a complete list of how the Bmorg has disrespected us but maybe someone can make it?

Angry but lazy...

Edit: To adhere to the general font theme of the thread.

+1
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Rice » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am

<Ramble>
I guess it was a mistake for BM LLC to expect burners to be honest and only try for the tickets they need...

2011 was the first year that the tickets actually sold out. Which was a completely new experience for burners, wanna-be burners and the BM LLC. So, a new process was tried. Unfortunately, it did not give the results it was trying to. The actual system worked perfectly from a technical perspective. Yes, there was the inevitable overload at points.

Somehow, way less experienced burners got tickets than what was expected. I want to believe that somehow people are keeping quiet and not saying "I have tickets", just to keep their friends feelings from getting hurt. It may be unrealistic to say that a small percentage of the tickets made their way into professional scalpers hands. We will know for sure in August.

I have no doubt that the plan for ticket sales in 2013 will be different than it is now.

Going to tickets with names and/or photos is certainly possible. There will be some significant technical challenges to make that happen. The playa is very unforgiving on technology. The heat, dust, dust, and more dust is more than a little hard on electronics, scanners, computers, switches, server connections, etc. Heck - keeping vehicles running for a month on the playa is a process of daily maintenance.

Solving the problems associated with having more than early entry scanners at the gate is going to be interesting. If they have the right hardware, redundancy it could be doable. Remember, if this system fails - no one is getting in the city until it is running again.

Now to talk about the tiers... The tiers have never, exactly, been fair. Anyone can purchase tickets in any tier if they are available. There has never been any way of verifying ones ability to pay for a particular tier. Over the years I have always bought the lowest priced tier available. And most of the burners I know are the same way. The money I saved on ticket prices always went towards my travel or my camp..

In the end, Burning Man is a private event which we have been privileged to attend. It is a business. The Burning Man LLC can do whatever they want and really our only recourse is to not attend if we dont like it!

So, in the end. Burning Man will happen, Anyone who goes through that gate can make it awesome. Some people are unwilling to participate, sucking from those around them. They have as much right to be there as the amazing boys and girls that create amazing are, theme camps, cool bars, art cars, etc. Would it not be cool if those consumers were changed into participants??

One simple way to make Burning Man better is to volunteer with the actual running of the event. You know, help at the gate, lamp lighters, rangers, dpw, center camp, arctica, or any other group that makes BM happen. Bring some cool art, Build some amazing shade, whatever...

Life is only as good as you want it to be. Complaining does nothing.

</Ramble>
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:52 am

Ah. I'm such a cynic about the state of american retail capitalism, that I think there are no "responsible" stores. (What are the responsible for, anyway? Stroking our egos? Parking meters? Getting our whites their whitest?)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby vertigo900 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:17 pm

stretch80 wrote:...The playa is very unforgiving on technology. The heat, dust, dust, and more dust is more than a little hard on electronics, scanners, computers, switches, server connections, etc. Heck - keeping vehicles running for a month on the playa is a process of daily maintenance.

Solving the problems associated with having more than early entry scanners at the gate is going to be interesting. If they have the right hardware, redundancy it could be doable. Remember, if this system fails - no one is getting in the city until it is running again.

Very good point. The Gate computer should be AC cooled, w/ HEPA filters. A back up system such as a printout or tablet download should also be considered.

stretch80 wrote:Life is only as good as you want it to be. Complaining does nothing.

This reminds me of Halcyon's "Crap or Cone" video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... KsyYFhOsNs
vertigo900

Postby Stellan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:15 am

Uh-oh. I've been burning since 2008, and I don't know the answer to the 2nd example question...
Stellan

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Prometheus Shrine

Postby CarrieSnarf » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:29 am

Wait WAIT! I have a ticket solution:

Shut the fuck up. Buy your tickets like this private business offers them or fuck off. Going to Burning Man is not your constitutional right. It's an event. You aren't happy about it, don't fucking go- I wonder why you even bother posting here. Tickets sold out. It happens. I aplaud the BMORG for trying hard to please people and fix problems on the fly. They could have told everyone "tough shit", but instead they made it work- and it worked pretty well. The person who ran tickets this year shouldn't be fired, they should be given a medal. Or at the very least a grilled cheese sandwich (please note if you are that person and you are at decompression, feel free to get a sammie at the wagon).

And it turns out there were plenty of tickets in the end- you could buy them on every street corner in San Francisco for 10 dollars the week before the event. If there was a scalping problem between the glut at the end and the voiding of tickets, I bet its already solved for 2013.

Everyone I know (and this was at least a dozen people) who didn't make the cut found tickets elsewhere through STEP or buying face value from friends. It wasn't easy, but it was important to them so they did what reasonable people do: They worked the system. They put the hours in. They didn't spend hours posting whiny shit on the internet. They spent those hours looking for tickets- and it worked fine.

And stop hating on Virgins. I brought two virgins with me and they were amazing. They were everything Burning Man is to me: Full of wonder and surprise and awesome. They couldn't have passed your fucking test when they got their tickets, but they were prepared down to the pee funnel when they got there. I like their attitude a whole fuckton more than yours.
thesammiewagon.blogspot.com
CarrieSnarf

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion