Question about STEP - matching # of tix...

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Question about STEP - matching # of tix...

Postby snardy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 pm

So I asked for two tickets in the lottery and therefore I'm up for two tickets in the STEP program.

1. If you're registered in STEP for two tickets, does the STEP allow you to take only one ticket, if that's all you need? Or must you take two? I need both of my tickets, but I'm sure other people might be wondering about this.

2. Imagine that the next person in line for STEP, Person A, is registered for 2 tickets. The person behind her, Person B, is registered for only one ticket. The next ticket that comes into STEP is a single ticket. Will STEP cobble together two tickets from two different sellers and distribute them to Person A? Or will a single ticket immediately go to Person B, and Person A must wait until 2 tickets come into STEP from the same seller? If it's the former scenario, is it possible that Person A will be required to pay two different prices for each ticket?

Just some things I was wondering...
snardy

Re: Question about STEP - matching # of tix...

Postby Psycho » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:22 pm

I'm hoping (tho I have no proof of this) that if 1 ticket becomes available, but the next in line is a 2-ticketer, then the system will hopefully:
1- wait for a second ticket to become available, and then offer both to that STEPer. If (s)he only takes one, then the remaining one goes to next person
or
2- That single ticket is offered to the current person, and they are kept in the queue for the next available ticket...

Worse case scenario- the queue stalls forever with one lone ticket left in it if no one else offers one forsale... I suspect on the last day of STEP, if that's the case, it will be manually offered to the next in line, regardless of their ticket # status.

That's how _I'd_ have set it up... and makes the most sense. Hopefully a person that wants 2 tickets isn't constantly being passed up waiting for 2 tickets to be available at the exact same time...
Psycho

Postby Jenifersteppat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Psycho I hope so too and I think your first scenario must be right.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Jenifersteppat

Burning Since: 2012

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:19 pm

If you registered for two, you're eligible for two but may only buy one if you wish.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby percussivepaul » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 am

Does anyone know if both tickets are in your name, or if you have to specify the name of the second person? This matters -- if they are both in the purchaser's name, then the two people have to travel together.

Do you have the option of having both in the purchaser's name? This might be nice if the second person is not 100% sure if they can come. If my friend ends up having to bail, it would be nice to bring another friend with me instead, rather than have her ticket go back to STEP. Though I recognize this is quite a luxury to ask for in these times. Just curious.
percussivepaul

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:57 am

Both tickets are held in your name only for pickup at will call. Once you have them in your hand, you of course may pass them to whomever you wish. Before pickup though, they are entirely non-transferable and may be only picked up by you with valid ID.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby snardy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:35 am

It's also not necessary to travel with your friend.

I believe you can assign the ticket to your friend at the Will Call and she/he will be able to pick it up on their own later. But this will require you to arrive before your friend so you can assign it to their name. They will then need to show an ID to pick up the ticket.
snardy

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:16 pm

snardy wrote:It's also not necessary to travel with your friend.

I believe you can assign the ticket to your friend at the Will Call and she/he will be able to pick it up on their own later. But this will require you to arrive before your friend so you can assign it to their name. They will then need to show an ID to pick up the ticket.

Correct. The buyer needs to get there first.

Q: Can I transfer tickets I buy through STEP to somebody else after I buy them?
A: No, tickets purchased through STEP are non-transferable. Both tickets will be held at Will Call under the name of the purchaser. If both parties are arriving separately, the buyer of the ticket may collect both tickets and then leave the second under the other name at the Will Call window.

http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#steptransfer
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Psycho » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:16 pm

junglesmacks wrote:If you registered for two, you're eligible for two but may only buy one if you wish.

But if I registered for 2 tickets, and _one_ becomes available in STEP, do they wait for a second to become available and offer them both to me, or what?

The concern was that in that scenario the single ticket available would be offered to the next person that only wanted one ticket, thus skipping me until someone offers two tickets at once. Hopefully that's not the case, but no one has confirmed one way or the other what happens when someone is next in line wanting two tickets and there's only one available forsale...
Psycho

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:52 pm

The next person in the queue will be notified when there are enough tickets to fulfill their order. Single ticket seekers won't jump the line ahead of a person waiting for two.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ApolloPan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Greetings from Pan's Garden Burners! Just wondering if we will ever know how many tickets are currently in STEP. I haven't heard of anyone getting a ticket from STEP yet; no worries or hurries here, just honestly curious. Some of my camp mates have given up going this year, but I actually got into STEP, so I'm going ahead with art projects as though I do have tickets.
Best wishes all around- I do feel for the BORG for this unfortunate ticket experiment. Is there a way to contact them to offer sympathy or much needed positive feedback?
ApolloPan

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:04 pm

No you will not. But reading the posts on the boards, plenty of people appear to be getting tickets through the exchange.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:33 pm

trilobyte wrote:The next person in the queue will be notified when there are enough tickets to fulfill their order. Single ticket seekers won't jump the line ahead of a person waiting for two.

Does that mean it's possible to get the opportunity to buy (for instance) one $240 and one $390 ticket?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion