Sneaking into Burning Man

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Sneaking into Burning Man

Postby DustHand » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 am

Shambala wrote:Phil, I could easily get past him. (was that you?) I would just slip him a Snickers Bar!

Wow...it really does satisfy.
Burner from Baltimore
)'(
DustHand

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Froves » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:What, you think they just give away the hookers and blow?

well...yea? hahaha
cant wait to see yall out there.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Froves

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Froves » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:52 pm

phil wrote:
Froves wrote:what do you need money for at burning man?>

I assume this is unrelated to the topic? You may need money for coffee and tea at Center Camp, you may need money for ice. If you end up being taken off playa for some reason, you may need money. One of my friends was hauled off by the cops, and he needed cash for bail. Others find they need money for prescriptions filled off-playa.

You can, indeed, get by without money while you are on the playa. Getting there and back may require a spot of cash, though.

my bad i didnt know how to do the quote thing at first. i was replying to the guy who had the 500 dollar sneak in thing, at the end he said and then you have 500 bucks for burning man, i was emphasizing gift economy, like why would you need 500 bucks?
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world" Mahatma Gandhi
Froves

Postby glitteranddust » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:51 am

Here's the other thing no one mentions about sneaking in- if you're crossing open playa on foot or on a bike PG&E might never get to have their way with you- LE and the BLM will likely find you first.

I came in early on a bike last year. If you are a volunteer who needs to associate pretty often with LE, crossing open playa in the midday heat alone on a bicycle is an easy way to do a personal meet and greet with a couple of representatives from each LE agency and a also a great way to make them recognize you later ("oh, great. you again"). when they next see you. Once they've confirmed they don't need to call an ambulance (yet), you may get a string of questions such as, "Wtf do you think you are you doing?" You get to go once they're convinced you don't need a ride back to Gerlach and you don't need to be put on a Legal 2000. Perimeter will likely stop you to check in but they might not ask for your ticket. (In my case it was an "are you okay" check-in.. I don't mean to blow PG&E's cover but ya'll were downright one of the most friendly departments I ran across the whole burn. =] )

Ironically, after all that I biked right past Gate in the dark, realized it when I got to Greeters and then had to turn around and go back. So, yeah, I guess it might be possible to do it that way but if that's the case "sneak" is hardly the word I'd use for it. Best to let everyone know you're coming at least 6 miles in advance.... which really would be an asinine chance to take if you didn't have a ticket.
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

Sober on the playa? http://www.runfreecamp.com
glitteranddust

Postby tisha2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm

yeah. sneaking in doesn't work. gate/perimeter has gadgets and gizmos galore. as the patch says, "nowhere to hide." worked that shift *once*. 5 confirmed 'kills'.

CO: i've been away from here for a while... just checking in for the first time in ages. like yer style.
ERP ~ Emergency Resource Procurement
"if i can't find it, yer f***ed"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ERP-Emergency-Resource-Procurement/257100377734118

how we roll:
https://www.facebook.com/TheThugboat
tisha2

Re: bwahahahahaha, holy shit

Postby International Incident » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 am

MyDearFriend wrote:I was casually conversating with Graidawg last night when it suddenly occurred to me that, holy shit, this 'boat' we are bringing on the roof of my car is plenty big enough to hide a human and so, will need to be opened for inspection at Gate.

FUCK

All y'all gatesperts here (I know you are reading this thread) tell me true, if we unseal it from the elements at our last stop and open the 'lid' at the back end for ya, can we avoid taking it down off the rack? Planning to come in early, Thursday morning the 23rd, so I guess we won't dislocate the line too much if it takes us an hour to pass inspection...

fuck

*note to self: bring a ladder*

Man I'd love to search it - damn shame that I'll be coming in with you at the same time. He he.
International Incident

Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:28 am

DustHand wrote:
Shambala wrote:Phil, I could easily get past him. (was that you?) I would just slip him a Snickers Bar!

Wow...it really does satisfy.

She can stay.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby ygmir » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:31 am

tisha2 wrote:yeah. sneaking in doesn't work. gate/perimeter has gadgets and gizmos galore. as the patch says, "nowhere to hide." worked that shift *once*. 5 confirmed 'kills'.

CO: i've been away from here for a while... just checking in for the first time in ages. like yer style.

*double take*

Tisha!!!

*kneels in the presence of royalty*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:50 am

Tisha! *reaches out for big hug*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:06 pm

*bump*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby mrchiff » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 am

bored?
mrchiff

Postby ygmir » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:00 am

hah no, my poster idea got nixed.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby mrchiff » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 am

it's shows your Posts: 24382 .. i think your poster is working just fine
mrchiff

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:59 am

I think Ygmir means a picture of determined-looking people wearing black and wielding cattle prods, with the slogan
"Gate. We're not greeters." :lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby CornMan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:01 am

The relationship between the Burning Man organizers and the attendees is still considered somewhat equally reciprocal, so most of us tend to still honor their need for us to purchase tickets. If the BMORG was to face financial difficulty and face lawsuits due to default on payments to the porta potty company like is the case with the Bottle Rocket festival, and they were to hold fundraising events to save Burning Man, people would buy tickets to those fundraisers out of love of the event rather than just to see Cheryl Crow playing there. So, for the time being, it's probably prudent for us to not be sneaking into Burning Man.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 am

As with the last two years, any vehicle found to have a stowaway on board will have tickets confiscated from all passengers, the vehicle will be denied entry and everyone gets sent home. Which would really suck for anyone whose camp infrastructure and supplies might be on board. Make sure that neither your vehicle's driver or the driver of the vehicle hauling your stuff considers taking on a stowaway. Make sure all passengers either have tickets, or have documentation so they can pick up their tickets at will call.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky420 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Fuck stowaways
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Elliot » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:23 pm

:?:
All right, I give up.

I'm looking for the word or phrase that we actually want here. Stowaway isn't it. Stowaway means someone who sneaks aboard to gain free passage or elude a checkpoint without the knowledge of the captain/driver/crew.

But we are talking about smuggling a person thru a checkpoint with the full cooperation of captain/driver/crew. Don't we have an English word or term for this? Smuggling would serve to describe the act. But what is the person? A smugglee?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Elliot wrote::?:
All right, I give up.

I'm looking for the word or phrase that we actually want here. Stowaway isn't it. Stowaway means someone who sneaks aboard to gain free passage or elude a checkpoint without the knowledge of the captain/driver/crew.

But we are talking about smuggling a person thru a checkpoint with the full cooperation of captain/driver/crew. Don't we have an English word or term for this? Smuggling would serve to describe the act. But what is the person? A smugglee?

A jerk?

With heat stroke. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby maladroit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 pm

maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby gyre » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Elliot wrote::?:
All right, I give up.

Human cargo

If the blm catches you, it can be much worse than not attending, like walking home.
gyre

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks