my mind just exploded

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

my mind just exploded

Postby Supakitten » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Maybe it's because I'm study'n for finals at the moment. But after looking at the new, then the newer, and then the newest ways to get your burn tickets, I think I just had a aneurism. So, first was the lottery...which I thought was a pain in the ass but still a option. Then that lottery, after people registered, turned into a OOOOPS sorry! We had to change the amount being sold and the amount being sold to each person. Uh hem? should these things be figured out BEFORE tickets are sold? or registered? or what ever the fuck you have to do now to purchase a ticket (I lost track). It's kind of like purchasing an shirt (a not very cheap item I may add) and then having the seller change the terms and the price oh and where you can pick your item up at and blah blah blah. Who the hell can follow this shit on a daily basis. Now there's some sort of STEP program? I can't even decipher what it does or doesn't do. Maybe I'm just stupid. (probably the case) But I'd like to rename it do the BEND OVER ticket program, or PAIN IN YOUR ASS ticket program. Not sayn...just sayn....

Good luck ya'all.
Supakitten

Re: my mind just exploded

Postby moonrise » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:41 pm

It must be the studying for finals thing.

I never got to go to Burning Man in my college age years... try to be patient. :roll:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Things were changed because the number of people who want to go to the burn took a huge, unpredictable leap. Sometimes you have to stop fighting the last war, and start looking at how to fight this one. Or you can go down with your ship, to mix a metaphor. I hope this makes your mind explode again, and maybe consider that the people who are doing something may know more about that thing than a casual observer.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:49 pm

YAY! Another meaningless, rambling ticket complaint thread! We totally didn't have enough. SO GLAD that you started another one.

Whew.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby VultureChow » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:30 pm

Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Each day I carefully comb this board for just one thing....new plans, ideas, or rants about this year's ticket situation. Hoping, hoping, HOPING that this one, this posting, will be THE IDEA. That as soon as I read it I will nod my head in agreement that this is EXACTLY how to solve the ticket situation as it stands today! And that as more and more people read it there will be such a powerful energy of folks nodding in agreement as to overwhelm all else and get EVERYONE WHO WANTS ONE A TICKET TO THE BURN!!!!!!!!!

But not today folks, not today. And...............we're done here.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Savannah » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Supakitten wrote:Maybe it's because I'm study'n for finals at the moment. But after looking at the new, then the newer, and then the newest ways to get your burn tickets, I think I just had a aneurism. So, first was the lottery...which I thought was a pain in the ass but still a option. Then that lottery, after people registered, turned into a OOOOPS sorry! We had to change the amount being sold and the amount being sold to each person. Uh hem? should these things be figured out BEFORE tickets are sold? or registered? or what ever the fuck you have to do now to purchase a ticket (I lost track). It's kind of like purchasing an shirt (a not very cheap item I may add) and then having the seller change the terms and the price oh and where you can pick your item up at and blah blah blah. Who the hell can follow this shit on a daily basis. Now there's some sort of STEP program? I can't even decipher what it does or doesn't do. Maybe I'm just stupid. (probably the case) But I'd like to rename it do the BEND OVER ticket program, or PAIN IN YOUR ASS ticket program. Not sayn...just sayn....

Good luck ya'all.

So . . . did you get a ticket, or what? Your persistence paid off last year. But it must be tiring if you're playing the waiting game again this time.

( . . . Good luck, Supakitten! :D )
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Hopefully you did a better job studying than you did comprehending the ticket process. They did not change the numbers or amounts of tickets being sold in the main sale lottery. STEP (the secure ticket exchange program) was mentioned back in November back when the lottery was announced. The only changes to the system, which were made back on the 15th of last month, were to cancel the secondary open sale (and make those tickets available to some registered theme camps and mutant vehicles) and to limit STEP participation to just those people who had registered in the main sale.

Regardless of that, it boils down to this. If you registered for tix in January but didn't get them - make sure to read the emails you've been getting about STEP, and check the ticket FAQ page. If you didn't, then keep your eyes and ears open among your friends and campmates for someone who may have a ticket they're not able to use. Then in June (when ticket fulfillment happens) if you still don't have a ticket, we'll be opening up the tickets offered/wanted boards.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby vargaso » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:46 pm

trilobyte wrote:Hopefully you did a better job studying than you did comprehending the ticket process. They did not change the numbers or amounts of tickets being sold in the main sale lottery. STEP (the secure ticket exchange program) was mentioned back in November back when the lottery was announced. The only changes to the system, which were made back on the 15th of last month, were to cancel the secondary open sale (and make those tickets available to some registered theme camps and mutant vehicles) and to limit STEP participation to just those people who had registered in the main sale.

Regardless of that, it boils down to this. If you registered for tix in January but didn't get them - make sure to read the emails you've been getting about STEP, and check the ticket FAQ page. If you didn't, then keep your eyes and ears open among your friends and campmates for someone who may have a ticket they're not able to use. Then in June (when ticket fulfillment happens) if you still don't have a ticket, we'll be opening up the tickets offered/wanted boards.

Think of this year's ticketing process as one of those Cacophony expeditions, where you show up with no idea what's in store. Yes, that's it, this has all been planned! Sit back, relax, while we do it to you in your earholes. Top of the chocolate Milky Way, y'all!
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby moonrise » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Maybe try 42?

ETA: Reading these tix threads makes me wonder if I have a ticket still? Nobody make a move, or something more destructive than a mind will explode. :evil:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby International Incident » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Supakitten wrote:Maybe it's because I'm study'n for finals at the moment. But after looking at the new, then the newer, and then the newest ways to get your burn tickets, I think I just had a aneurism. So, first was the lottery...which I thought was a pain in the ass but still a option. Then that lottery, after people registered, turned into a OOOOPS sorry! We had to change the amount being sold and the amount being sold to each person. Uh hem? should these things be figured out BEFORE tickets are sold? or registered? or what ever the fuck you have to do now to purchase a ticket (I lost track). It's kind of like purchasing an shirt (a not very cheap item I may add) and then having the seller change the terms and the price oh and where you can pick your item up at and blah blah blah. Who the hell can follow this shit on a daily basis. Now there's some sort of STEP program? I can't even decipher what it does or doesn't do. Maybe I'm just stupid. (probably the case) But I'd like to rename it do the BEND OVER ticket program, or PAIN IN YOUR ASS ticket program. Not sayn...just sayn....

Good luck ya'all.

I despair at the state of higher education.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Meh, it's america. I'm sure that you'd be more impressed with my Cambridge/Oxford educated nephew and my Sheffeld/Manchester educated niece.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:34 pm

Supakitten wrote:Maybe it's because I'm study'n for finals at the moment. But after looking at the new, then the newer, and then the newest ways to get your burn tickets, I think I just had a aneurism. So, first was the lottery...which I thought was a pain in the ass but still a option. .... or PAIN IN YOUR ASS ticket program. Not sayn...just sayn....

I seriously hope you're not feeling a aneurism in your ass.

Is that too snarky?

In any case, this is what happens if you vote for liberals. Radical inclusion means I pay higher taxes so the Russians with seven kids down the road can go to school and occupy seven seats on the bus, seven desks in the school, seven sets of textbooks... Their home listed for $450,000. Mine's worth $80,000 but apparently I'm wealthier than they are. My wife works with a relative of theirs who complains about how his family hacks on him for working when there's all these social programs he could take advantage of.

But since the school I went to now has 10x as many students (Reynolds, for those of you in Portland) and is overrun with gangs and criminals, and journalism is now an after-school activity rather than a major course of study, it's BETTER now. Especially with 50+ kids in the average classroom. All that diversity.

Unfortunately, nobody in their right mind will vote for conservatives this time around either but at least if you're wealthy enough to afford scalped tickets you can go to Burning Man. 'Cause it's radically-inclusive.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:14 pm

junglesmacks

Postby Trishntek » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:25 pm

Who the hell can follow this shit on a daily basis. Now there's some sort of STEP program? I can't even decipher what it does or doesn't do. Maybe I'm just stupid.

Step away from the keyboard,,,, danger, Danger, DANGER!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Trishntek wrote:
Who the hell can follow this shit on a daily basis. Now there's some sort of STEP program? I can't even decipher what it does or doesn't do. Maybe I'm just stupid.

Step away from the keyboard,,,, danger, Danger, DANGER!

Maybe. Just.. maybe.

Only maybe, though. Maybe.

Actually.. on second thought..

junglesmacks

Postby Supakitten » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:45 pm

[quote="Savannah"][quote="Supakitten"]Maybe it's because I'm study'n for finals at the moment. But after looking at the new, then the newer, and then the newest ways to get your burn tickets, I think I just had a aneurism. So, first was the lottery...which I thought was a pain in the ass but still a option. Then that lottery, after people registered, turned into a OOOOPS sorry! We had to change the amount being sold and the amount being sold to each person. Uh hem? should these things be figured out BEFORE tickets are sold? or registered? or what ever the fuck you have to do now to purchase a ticket (I lost track). It's kind of like purchasing an shirt (a not very cheap item I may add) and then having the seller change the terms and the price oh and where you can pick your item up at and blah blah blah. Who the hell can follow this shit on a daily basis. Now there's some sort of STEP program? I can't even decipher what it does or doesn't do. Maybe I'm just stupid. (probably the case) But I'd like to rename it do the BEND OVER ticket program, or PAIN IN YOUR ASS ticket program. Not sayn...just sayn....

Good luck ya'all.[/quote]

So . . . did you get a ticket, or what? Your persistence paid off last year. But it must be tiring if you're playing the waiting game again this time.

( . . . Good luck, Supakitten! :D )[/quote]

Yip Sav......my persistence DID pay off last year, the year before that, and the year before that. I did not bitch at the lack of tickets last year....I ate, slept, and shit while on this computer searching for my tix (yes roomies....that will learn you for touching my computer). I don't really find that tiring...as it's what my life could only allow me to do in regards to getting my tickets. I have not been able to see that far into the future to know if I can go or not....and December/Jan are always extremely tight. So...that is why I wait until Spring/summer to find tickets if I find I am able to go. It's worked for me in the past....even through last years chaos.
And....Yes, everyone else. I'm stupid. That's why people go to school right? If I was smart, I would have:
A. Already been to school B. Gone to school sooner in life C. Uh...maybe just became a stripper instead saved myself the time and money.

My original rant....I was/am just confused on the resale of tickets? Can no one sell their ticket because they are non transferable?
Supakitten

Postby moonrise » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 pm

I know a stripper and she stripped at a young age (in Reno this can be common), paid off her house, socked a bunch of money into her bank account and now she goes to school. Smart woman she is.

Good luck and hope you get a ticket. We do understand.
moonrise

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Tickets purchased through STEP are non-transferable.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm

Supakitten, if you registered in the Main Sale and did not get lucky, you are eligible for STEP.

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/news ... ep-system/
http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php

If you did not register for the Main Sale at all, you can't participate in STEP, but you can buy a physical ticket on the aftermarket in June, or a Will Call ticket purchased in the Main Sale, and have the original owner transfer the name on the ticket into your name via the online form.

STEP tickets will be held at Will Call, but they are not the same as Will Call from the Main Sale. Unlike regular Will Call tickets, STEP tickets are non-transferrable, to help keep transactions Burner-to-Burner. However, if a friend of yours has two tickets in STEP, they are both assigned to that friend's name, and they can put your name on one of them for you if they arrive 1) with you, or 2) ahead of you.

So tell your friends you're looking for a ticket. Make sure everyone knows to come to you if they know of something last-minute. After a certain point, it can be (almost) hard to sell a ticket, because it's difficult for most people to drop everything with 1-2 weeks notice and suddenly go Burn. But if you have a certain amount of freedom and can be ready (or at least have your packing list and some reserve cash), this is a good strategy.

(Btw . . . for effective quotes/tags to work in your posts, go to your User Control Panel --> Board Preferences --> Edit Posting Defaults --> Enable BBCode --> Submit.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 pm

When nailing jelly to a table top on a hot day it pays to use lots of nails.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Supakitten » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks Sav...

I thought they were all non transferable no if ands or buts. I get it now....

sorry all for my useless rant thread. Sometimes I need a picture drawn for me...or a cartoon...maybe some origami art...
Supakitten

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Supakitten wrote:Thanks Sav...

I thought they were all non transferable no if ands or buts. I get it now....

sorry all for my useless rant thread. Sometimes I need a picture drawn for me...or a cartoon...maybe some origami art...

People just gave you the business 'cause your mind had exploded with such velocity we didn't know what your question was. :)
Savannah

Postby socks » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:39 pm

This is a epic failure by BM.org.What is different this year than any other year.The lottery.They were told by many that it would fail well before it happened.BM.org said we know best.So this is what we have.But BM.org doubled down on their first fuck up by taking away 10,000 tickets to give to a "special class of burner".So now our Black Rock City has a caste system in which BM.org picks winners and losers.This is different than the Default world in what way?
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby lemur » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:43 pm

socks wrote:This is a epic failure by BM.org.What is different this year than any other year.The lottery.They were told by many that it would fail well before it happened.BM.org said we know best.So this is what we have.But BM.org doubled down on their first fuck up by taking away 10,000 tickets to give to a "special class of burner".So now our Black Rock City has a caste system in which BM.org picks winners and losers.This is different than the Default world in what way?

YOUR IDEAS INTRIGUE ME, I HAVNT SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THEM BEFORE... WHERE DO I SIGN UP FOR YOUR NEWSLETTER ?
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion