Ultimate DJ List for 2012?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Ultimate DJ List for 2012?

Postby rotokantus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:49 pm

I don't care about names, as long as they are actually talented in their craft.
rotokantus

Postby Dis)'(rack » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Finally got a log in after years of reading. For some reason this thread hit a nerve with me and prompted me to post.

I have been attending every year since 02, so I have some background.

I wish that that the playa was like before when there were no DJ lists. No pre-announcements on social media about this world renowned DJ, or this performer, or this marquee for this sound camp. Nothing. Just like my first number of years.

Don't get me wrong, I am a dnb head and go to EDM shows all the time in the default, but I wish that the pre-announced DJ line ups would end. I think too many people are starting to look at the event like it's a regular show, with set times for superstar performers, for viewers to show up to and watch.

To me, it has added an element of commercialization to the event and is subverting the spirit of the culture. It is now attracting attendees that go to or hear about the event because Bassnectar, or Freq Nasty, or whoever are playing, and aren't thinking about how they can be the performers, entertainers, providers, or participants.

I liked before where you just ended up wherever you were, and happened to find a spectacular show, whether it be DJ Dan, or joeblow spinning something good (yeah, they used to use records...real records).

I also think that some of the large sound stages with big name DJs have adopted non-burn (exclusive) behavior like only allowing the cute girls with the booty shorts (not actual performers) up on stage to dance, etc...like a Vegas club. To me, that is a playa sin as it defeats radical inclusion. I saw activities like that numerous times last year and it pissed me off.

OK, I am now ready for my lambasting for my first post.
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Welcome to ePlaya! If/when you get a second, hop on over to the 'greeters station' section and post a little about yourself there so we can give you a proper hello.

I agree with you to a large degree. I wouldn't let the thread get you down. They get posted every year, and invariably by people who haven't even been to the event yet (just like this year's), they don't yet 'get it' in that respect, and the whole star power/celebrity culture thing is strong in defaultia. While some of the big camps do what you describe, many do not. If they post a lineup at all, it's on a fairly small page adjacent to the stage - probably as much to remind the crew who's supposed to be on when as it is for anyone out there. Starting back in 2005 I made a point to not promote lineups to the playa events I worked on, and found that in many cases they were that much better for it. Anyways, I digress. Again, welcome to the site. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dis)'(rack » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:19 pm

trilobyte wrote:Welcome to ePlaya! If/when you get a second, hop on over to the 'greeters station' section and post a little about yourself there so we can give you a proper hello.

I agree with you to a large degree. I wouldn't let the thread get you down. They get posted every year, and invariably by people who haven't even been to the event yet (just like this year's), they don't yet 'get it' in that respect, and the whole star power/celebrity culture thing is strong in defaultia. While some of the big camps do what you describe, many do not. If they post a lineup at all, it's on a fairly small page adjacent to the stage - probably as much to remind the crew who's supposed to be on when as it is for anyone out there. Starting back in 2005 I made a point to not promote lineups to the playa events I worked on, and found that in many cases they were that much better for it. Anyways, I digress. Again, welcome to the site. :)

Thanks for the kind greetings trilobyte.

I think my backlash to the post was made more in reference to some bad experiences I had at some of the sound camps last year, and one particularly bad sequence where I about had a meltdown (I will write about it after this). Probably just as much my fault for hanging around the corners too much.

I do have a problem with agregious "advertising" through social media, and massive marquee banners adorning the stages. I also have a major problem when the DJs are up on stage telling you to download their music on www.imaplayafoul.com, and to catch their upcoming shows at so and so in default.

OK, so last year after seeing a large sound camp selectively pull up some booty girls off the playa and onto the stage, and then denying non-booty girls admission, I got really ticked off and stormed away. During my snarling exodus I passed one of the camps with picture boards and panoramics and great shots of temples and pieces from years past and beauty surrounded me . My heart was lifted and the rancor from the exclusivity behavior that I just witnessed began to fade. My friends and I gazed in wonder and reminisced about the time we had at that temple....oh, and the great moment we shared at that art piece. Then we started to hear it coming...faintly at first....then in utter aghast we heard, "I my gosh, you have to come next year...it is so awesome".....AHHHHH!!!!!!!!! Burgin on a cell phone... Cell phone....AHHHHH!!!!!! RUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

This should be my next thread topic. Do not talk on a cell phone unless, a.) you have an emergency, or b.) you are not around the population at large. Man, I miss the days when coverage stopped right past Nixon and if you really needed to communicate with the default you had to get a satellite phone (I luckily never needed one, but it was great when people had access after Katrina to check on loved ones).

OK, enough complaining. I will jump onto the Greeting Station. It was rude of me not to stop by first as I have been a Gate Greeter in years past. Almost ironic.
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby vinceslas » Thu May 03, 2012 5:06 am

They are not DJ's but I would definitly see The Antwoord perform at Burning Man, or just simply magnificently blend in...

Their last 2012 tour date is in San Francisco on Aug 10-12 at the outside land festival. People should just tell them about BM and guide them to the playa. I want them Home!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uee_mcxvrw&hd=1[/youtube]
vinceslas

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu May 03, 2012 12:33 pm

OK, so last year after seeing a large sound camp selectively pull up some booty girls off the playa and onto the stage, and then denying non-booty girls admission, I got really ticked off and stormed away

im guessing that would be Temple of Boom...

One Point about this...as stage manager for root society, it is my prerogative to control the stage and who gets on it.

it's really up to the camp, and what their aesthetic is.

with that said, i had a hard and fast rule on my stage.

no guys.

As far as the girls go, EVERY WOMAN IS BEAUTIFUL and would be welcomed on our stage to dance if they so desired, and we had the space, as there was a max. allowed due to structural limitations.

i understand what you are saying, however, if a circus themed camp wants only clowns on stage, then that is their choice.

you dont have to like it..

dont visit their camp.

thats your choice.

thats all i'm gonna say on this.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby cpart » Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 am

Who doesn't like booty?
cpart

Burning Since: 2010

Postby RedHeaven » Sat May 12, 2012 10:43 am

Dis)'(rack wrote:Finally got a log in after years of reading. For some reason this thread hit a nerve with me and prompted me to post.

I have been attending every year since 02, so I have some background.

I wish that that the playa was like before when there were no DJ lists. No pre-announcements on social media about this world renowned DJ, or this performer, or this marquee for this sound camp. Nothing. Just like my first number of years.

Don't get me wrong, I am a dnb head and go to EDM shows all the time in the default, but I wish that the pre-announced DJ line ups would end. I think too many people are starting to look at the event like it's a regular show, with set times for superstar performers, for viewers to show up to and watch.

To me, it has added an element of commercialization to the event and is subverting the spirit of the culture. It is now attracting attendees that go to or hear about the event because Bassnectar, or Freq Nasty, or whoever are playing, and aren't thinking about how they can be the performers, entertainers, providers, or participants.

I liked before where you just ended up wherever you were, and happened to find a spectacular show, whether it be DJ Dan, or joeblow spinning something good (yeah, they used to use records...real records).

I also think that some of the large sound stages with big name DJs have adopted non-burn (exclusive) behavior like only allowing the cute girls with the booty shorts (not actual performers) up on stage to dance, etc...like a Vegas club. To me, that is a playa sin as it defeats radical inclusion. I saw activities like that numerous times last year and it pissed me off.

OK, I am now ready for my lambasting for my first post.

I totally agree, my first couple years in 05 and 06 I don't think I even made it to the large sound camps....My big music date was with the Mermen or Albino at Center Camp after the man burned.
As a music head, I started making my way over to the large sound camps just to check things out that were popular on playa, like Assnectar and the likes.....I did discover Random Rab in 06 after hamsa lila at Entheon, so I started to seek his mellow sets out just for some sanctuary by a large speaker at dawn (really pretty music). Then I started doing my own DJing at my camp. Now I camp at a live music camp and don't even make it out to the large sound camps much, BUT when I do it is Sooooooo over the top, like what I picture the Sahara tent at Coachella or something. It can be a newb trap for sure. I used to make a little music schedule for my camp for fun, but it was mostly for live music, just when you need a little hit of something familiar, but the way it is mapped out these days by the peeps does inspire some folk to just go be bass junkies for the entire week. Oh well, I'm just glad I found out how I like to spend my time more wisely for me.

As far as the booty shorts hot chick thing, that discrimination happens everywhere, there is no controlling it.....For me it's a great sign that I need to keep walking, that these are not the droids I was looking for. :)
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun May 13, 2012 1:42 pm

I would say if i was told no about going up on the stage I would tell them to fuck off. I have enough ass to equal two of the girls. Yeah im plus size. Big deal. I want to dance just like those skinny bitches. If they can't handle it then to bad. They need to learn some tolerance and compassion.

Ps I made this thread in a light hearted mannor. It was never a OH! They have to be here *crossing fingers*. It was just hey if they would be there that would be cool. Just because some of these people have gotten big should they not allowed to be there? We have billionare google gods there to. Should they not be allowed cause they are successful? If these dj's are playing a free show then cool. If they are saying buy my shit.. then thats not cool. Who ever booked them it should fall on their shoulders for not educating the artist. If the artist stays for the whole week then it falls on the artists shoulders. But when you have an overnight guest YOU should be educating them.

end of rant.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 15, 2012 5:15 pm

"And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour. "

so it is written, so let it be done.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby psychoalpha » Thu May 17, 2012 6:19 pm

I'd really love to see people like...

Gramatik
Liquid Stranger
Love & Light
Wolf+Lamb
Soul Clap
Samples
GRiZ
Bonobo
TIpper
Emancipator
Opiuo
psychoalpha

Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri May 18, 2012 12:31 am

Well it is official. Bassnectar is out. Per him tonight on fb-
"Bassnectar Danielle: no BM this year, we will be in Europaaaa
53 minutes ago · Like"
tattoogoddess

Postby trilobyte » Fri May 18, 2012 12:44 am

I don't think Lo was ever considering coming to the desert this year.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Fri May 18, 2012 3:41 am

That's it, sell the tickets. Cancel the box truck. Unwire the LED body suit. Flush the drugs.

No Bassnectar.. no Burning Man.

What else is there to do there but DJ worship?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby cpart » Sun May 20, 2012 1:49 am

We can ask for Daft Punk repeatedly.
cpart

Postby C187 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:05 am

cpart wrote:We can ask for Daft Punk repeatedly.

OR require all DJs to wear Daft Punk helmets...
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun May 20, 2012 6:59 am

dont worry, i heard a Krug Sponsored DJ, AssNectar(tm) will be playing at stiglitz 360, the dreamers camp....

free champagne if you wear a dr. seuss hat.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby junglesmacks » Sun May 20, 2012 7:15 am

Ooo ooo ooo ooo ooo.. what about a mini top hat Dr Seuss hat?!?! I bet I could make one that would fit right on the end of my.. ......
junglesmacks

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue May 22, 2012 12:44 pm

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby ultratang7 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:04 pm

I was a newb last year, (still am, in some people's eye's) and I had a general idea of some of the DJ sets I wanted to catch, found a line-up sheet before the event, plus the litterature they hand out at the gate had some stuff, too. Well, I can tell you.... I didn't see anything I set out for. I would set ut to find something, then, being in a world of sensory over-load, lights and sounds and craziness all around, I would be pulled in a million directions. After the 2nd day, I left my itternary in camp, and just let my self go where-ever my bike and feet took me. I think it worked out waaaayyyy better that way. Sure I missed Beats Antique, the Dirty Bird Crew, Wolf & Lamb, Soul Clap and a few others I wanted to check out, but I found some amazing, new things instead. Don't worry about who's playing when/where. You'll find even better stuff purely by coincedence. Just be open minded and receptive, it'll all come to you.
Did someone say Crisco-Twister???
ultratang7

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby junglesmacks » Tue May 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Burning Man 2012: Put the Cash In My Hand

Simon of the Playa wrote:

Brought to you by your friends at: Image
junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Tue May 22, 2012 1:16 pm

LEMME SEE THEM CHAAAAAAAINS!

junglesmacks

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Sure you don't want skrillex there?

tattoogoddess

Postby kalouts1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Et BIM !
kalouts1

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:52 pm

junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:53 pm

If only we can get Snuffy off the smack.
junglesmacks

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:44 am

I like all the remixes I hear and the faster untzy stuff on the art cars and inner city. Tired of the slow gooey womper room, love being affected by it all, brrrrring it BRC, lets see what happens....

Though I have a feeling the outer circle will be celebrating armageddon as usual, as I look for candy in the back streets :mrgreen:
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:11 am

Would love to hear him on the playa. Not sooo much a DJ but the beats are good.

Here if any one wants a good mashup. Love this one. Work really well.
tattoogoddess

Postby changoloco » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:34 am

This thread is full of so much awful that I can't even begin. Skrillex? Really? WTF people, get some musical taste!
Live the life you love, Love the life you live
changoloco

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:38 am

I mean SERIOUSLY. How DARE you not have the same views as I on musical foppery.

That post was so full of fail that I don't even know where to begin either.

junglesmacks

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Art & Performance