Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Did you get a STEP Ticket?

Postby Kristine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Not saying it won't happen but 10,0000 non-transferable Will Call Tickets? Plus 4000 Low Income non-transferable Will Call tickets? And maybe 2000 STEP non-transferable Will Call tickets? Not to mention all the international Will Call tickets and those that requested Will Call instead of delivery? Half of Burning Man is going to Will Call?

I'm all for non-transferable/identity based tickets and hope we can get there for next year. But this random non transferable AND will call at this point....ouch.
Kristine

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Kristine wrote:I don't have the same understanding. Do we know for sure that theme camps participants are having to buy non-transferable tickets? Say 50 of the tickets already sold in STEP went to people who will participate in a theme camp. So the theme camp doesn't need a ticket for that person anymore, so won't it ask to be able buy the same number, but for other participants in its camp? Are the theme camps being asked to submit names for purchase in direct distribution?

I have some clarification- I still don't know if they'll be physical or will call, but the tickets appear to be tied to one participant & non-transferable, so in that sense they are similar to STEP tickets**. Someone awarded a theme camp ticket & a STEP ticket would be an idiot to pay for both (neither are free) when they are the only person who could use them. They're non-transferable, remember?

One other part of the equation you've left out completely is that the BMorg isn't just scattering the allotments to camps- they're being given to camp leaders (technically I believe codes are being given to camp leaders, those codes are used by the members to buy tickets which are then tied to that person & non-transferable). With the way camps have been decimated this year I can't see any camp leader giving one of those very precious tickets to someone who already has one in any form, not when they need to get other members of their camp out there.

I'm not saying that someone may not try it, but they're going to end up screwing themselves, and if the BMorg finds out they'll end up screwing their entire camp. You can bet there will be payback if a theme-camp is seen trying to game this system.

**NOTE: I do not know how this will be done. It could be a test for a future system, it could be paperwork you have to carry with your ticket, it could be a vial of blood you have to supply for genetic testing. Really, I have no idea how it will work at this time.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Kristine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks Eric for checking in to it. Doesn't yet sound, to me, like the 10K directed distribution will actually be identity based or non-transferable tickets (or will call), but rather the LLC is asking theme camp leaders to be specific in requests, as they should be. More good faith! Not the same thing as only allowing certain people to buy tickets. Could happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. The org would SO have to ramp up it's gate/ticket process to manage 20K+ at will call or even 10K+ ID/ticket checks at the gate. Can you imagine? I think that time has come, but I not sure this will the year where the BMorg will get to that.

I still have tickets from previous years where the "ticket takers" didn't even bother to take our tickets at the gate (2008, 2010). And we were only two people in an RV, you know, so not too confusing or chaotic. We got to our camp, with tickets, and could only surmise that the "ticket takers" were on some self-imposed little vigilante program to not report real attendance numbers or some other such stoner logic. Or just stoned. :) But you can understand how putting those people in charge of the gate gives me pause about....just about everything having to with Tickets and the Gate, and god forbid Will Call.

All is well because 2013 has every chance of being stellar compared to this year in regards to ticketing. As it should be.
Kristine

Postby littlewing2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

If you got a ticket through a theme camo you are not eligible to get one through STEP. If you got a ticket in theclottery, you were not eligible to get one through your theme camp. That's what we were told. We were required to give the Llc a spreadsheet with the names and email addys of our members who would be recieving the tickets. They are transferrable, however.
littlewing2

Postby Kristine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Littlewing2: thanks for sharing some details of the direct distrib. tix. So one will need an approved name or code in order to purchase one, which sounds reasonable as BM wants the theme camps to be specific in its requests. But the tickets don't have assigned names and they are transferable and won't be at will call? Interesting how many differing takes on this have been shared on eplaya. Thanks again for sharing.
Kristine

Postby usurpedus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am

trickle
usurpedus

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 pm

I've confirmed with the ticketing department that tickets purchased through the Directed Ticket Distribution program (theme camp/mutant vehicle program) will be just like the tickets purchased through the main sale - the purchaser can choose their ship method (though no tickets mail out until June), and the tickets will be transferable (unlike tickets purchased through STEP).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:24 pm

trilobyte wrote:[..] and the tickets will be transferable (unlike tickets purchased through STEP).

God help anyone that scalps one of those tickets.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:00 pm

..and upon further thought, I applaud that decision. The whole point of directed distribution is to get tickets in Burner's hands, anyway. If they don't get used by the original recipient, I see them staying in the community.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby drutter » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:08 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Interesting informal survey on STEP email times vs ticket purchasing: http://www.reddit.com/r/BurningMan/comm ... ail_times/

Cool, thanks for the link! He has some interesting data and conclusions.

trilobyte wrote:There will likely never be an avalanche of tickets, but I do anticipate that there'll be enough tickets to get through the backlog and even open the gates again from time to time.

Thanks for your optimism, I hope you're right!

Biglilburner wrote:I received my confirmation at 12:05 and received notification today at 9:20am! Wishing all of you the very best in getting your tickets!!!

Congrats and thanks for reporting. The 05s are seeing some action now, great! I'm a 10.... could have weeks or months to go at this pace.
Unfortunately, nobody on ePlaya has reported buying a ticket for the past couple days at least.

Eric wrote:Much congrats to everyone who's gotten a ticket- there's hope for more happy Burners!

My logic must be backwards from yours, but every ticket I hear about somebody securing for themselves seems to put my chances down another peg. I wish each ticket bought meant one more is available but from what I understand that aint the case!

melaniejane wrote:
Kristine wrote:Griping about tickets does not belong in this thread. Take your whine elsewhere please.

MYOB.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby Lynks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:31 pm

I got my offer for tickets thru STEP tonight at 6:41pm (@ $420 level). My original confirmation email last Friday was at 12:07. So there IS hope! Hang in there :)
Lynks

Postby International Incident » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Lynks wrote:I got my offer for tickets thru STEP tonight at 6:41pm (@ $420 level). My original confirmation email last Friday was at 12:07. So there IS hope! Hang in there :)

Yah. Happy dance for Lynks!

Crossing my fingers, my toes, and my eyes, and hoping everybody else on the STEP list gets one soon.
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby BarShirley » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 am

WooHoo
The line is moving. Only 14 more mins till my time arrives.
(those 14 mins might take 2 months thou :)

Congrats to all who have received tickets, happy waiting to those who don't, and best of luck to all who didn't get onto to STEP.

XXXXX
To Give, To Love, To Share, To Grow.
BarShirley

Postby misterdj » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:12 am

Lynks wrote:I got my offer for tickets thru STEP tonight at 6:41pm (@ $420 level). My original confirmation email last Friday was at 12:07. So there IS hope! Hang in there :)

Awesome! Crossing fingers for more to trickle in sooner than later.
misterdj

Postby dnightshade » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:39 am

A friend just scored a ticket and his time is 12:09
dnightshade

Postby homo ardentum » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 am

Last night 12:07 got tickets and now a 12:09? Can somebody confirm? If true, there was a big slug of tickets into STEP! The link to the theoretical ticket distribution estimates that 12:09 is around 477th in line. Seems a stretch, but....

There is hope!
homo ardentum

Postby snardy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 am

homo ardentum wrote:Last night 12:07 got tickets and now a 12:09? Can somebody confirm? If true, there was a big slug of tickets into STEP! The link to the theoretical ticket distribution estimates that 12:09 is around 477th in line. Seems a stretch, but....

There is hope!

Not necessarily. There might be a very uneven distribution in the timing of confirmation emails, due to the technical issues the servers were having from the heavy traffic.

For instance, 20 people might have been 12:07, 8 people at 12:08, 100 people at 12:09, and then 345 people at 12:10. There's no way to tell how many people were lumped into each timing category.

That's the problem with that Reddit thread - the author assumes an even distribution of confirmations for each minute. Unfortunately, the reality is that the distribution of confirmations are quite random. The server probably pushed out a lot of confirmations within one particular minute (12:10 seems especially popular) and then it would crash again. A few more would trickle out, then a surge, then another crash.
snardy

Postby usurpedus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 am

congrats to the 12:07er!!

lets keep the positive energy flpowing and keep this line movin!

-12:10er
usurpedus

Postby (s)Miles » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 am

Just adding to the numbers.... I was just offered (and accepted) a STEP ticket. My original confirmation email for STEP enrollment was at 12:08. Good luck everyone, and hope to see you all on the playa this year! :twisted:
(s)Miles

Postby wandergirl » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm 12:08 for two tickets and no offer yet, just FTR.

good luck everyone! xo
★ ☆ ✰ inspiration ✰ ☆ ★
wandergirl

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: dust & stars

Postby groosh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Hey guys, I'm coming home!

Just got the email and bought my tickets! I received my confirmation email at 12:06.

See you all soon!
groosh

Postby snardy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 pm

(s)Miles wrote:Just adding to the numbers.... I was just offered (and accepted) a STEP ticket. My original confirmation email for STEP enrollment was at 12:08. Good luck everyone, and hope to see you all on the playa this year! :twisted:

Nice! What was the price?

I have a feeling that there might be a lot tickets coming into the STEP at $420. Those people bought really far in advance and so their plans are more likely to change than other people. Also, if their friends got locked out of tickets via the lottery and STEP, many of them might not being willing to go alone and/or stay in an underpopulated camp.
snardy

Postby remi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:53 pm

snardy wrote:I have a feeling that there might be a lot tickets coming into the STEP at $420. Those people bought really far in advance and so their plans are more likely to change than other people. Also, if their friends got locked out of tickets via the lottery and STEP, many of them might not being willing to go alone and/or stay in an underpopulated camp.

Very true.. however, in my situation, our entire camp went for early birds (exept 2 people that were planning on trying to get tickets in the open sale.. doh!) I thought because most people that registered for the extra early birds were successful, the main sale was going to be successful too. The fact that it was highly unsuccessful (it terms of % of camp members getting tickets,) probably did split and deter a good portion of the people that got the XMas tickets.
If people knew how much scarcity was going to take place, I bet quite a bit more people would have applied for the early birds.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby (s)Miles » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 pm

snardy wrote:
(s)Miles wrote:Just adding to the numbers.... I was just offered (and accepted) a STEP ticket. My original confirmation email for STEP enrollment was at 12:08. Good luck everyone, and hope to see you all on the playa this year! :twisted:

Nice! What was the price?

I have a feeling that there might be a lot tickets coming into the STEP at $420. Those people bought really far in advance and so their plans are more likely to change than other people. Also, if their friends got locked out of tickets via the lottery and STEP, many of them might not being willing to go alone and/or stay in an underpopulated camp.

I got a single ticket (only signed up for the one I need in the lottery) at the $320 tier.
(s)Miles

Postby groosh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:29 pm

The tickets were for the $320 tier.
groosh

Postby remi » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:42 pm

Congrats to everyone that got tickets through STEP. I know there are way more of you out there, but it's real nice to see a few people getting them... and you all seem to be very deserving.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby four20ps » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm

so my card expires in June of this year. If I am offered a ticket in june can I still get one with my new debit card? The name and info will be the same but I'm a little nervous that I might get screwed over? Please any help from a mod would be great, thanks..
four20ps

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm

four20ps wrote:so my card expires in June of this year. If I am offered a ticket in june can I still get one with my new debit card? The name and info will be the same but I'm a little nervous that I might get screwed over? Please any help from a mod would be great, thanks..

Good news. From the Ticket FAQ under the STEP area:

Q: To buy a ticket through STEP do I have to use the same credit card I originally registered with?
A: No. For your security, we do not store credit card information. If a ticket becomes available to you, you’ll be prompted to provide new payment information at that time.

http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#stepcreditcard

Good luck to you! :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby usurpedus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:53 pm

thank you to all the donators!
usurpedus

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm so grateful to everyone who's reselling through STEP!

I was a 12:07. got a $320 tier ticket

keep hope alive and see ya on the playa!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion