Camelbak

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Camelbak

Postby hotmess » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:18 am

I recommend the military grad camelbak. All in all it is better equipped to take a severe beating. Also, the bladder is stronger, the mouth piece has a cap so it does not got dusty, and the tube that connects the bladder to the mouth piece is covered in neoprene that helps keep the temp of the water hitting your mouth cooler. They retail for $100 but I got mine on ebay for $50.

Camelbak 60302 Thermobak 3L Hydration Pack, Army Universal Camouflage
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby Oldguy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:54 pm

An extra bite valve is a wise precaution. Two years ago , while standing in line for a grilled cheeze samitch, I dropped a valve in the dust while biting down. It slipped off the tube. The bite valve is the only working part and subject to wear.

Last year I got a spare, but did not need it. I keep it in my first aid box with extra earplugs, sewing kit amd meds. Murphy's Law Corollary: if it can, it will.

---------------------Only 2 weeks till Ash Wednesday, let us party for Mardi Gras-------------
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:20 pm

As many learned commentators here point out, the bladder+feeding tube is the core value, and purchasable separately. Hey, buy two for pure H2O and altered. Wide mouth for cleaning and airing is essential. I have found brandedTM water packs did not carry the volume of stuff found needed in, say, Eplaya's "What's in your backpack", and like threads. So put a bladder+tube in a year round backpack covered with safety pinned on deco, like fur.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby incubus_pantomime » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:05 pm

5280MeV wrote: We're playing army out here, goddammit.

+1

Personally, I'm a fan of my model. Being a burgin, I like the packs that are made for runners. They're usually smaller and have pockets on the straps, so you can easily access certain things without taking off the pack itself. I have extensively researched this subject, and found two that I really liked. The first is the Wasp from Ultimate Direction, which I was lucky enough to buy used off eBay for ~$47:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Directio ... 396&sr=8-1

This pack was released a couple years ago, so it's a little harder to find now. The other option I liked quite a bit is the Endurance from Nathan:

http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Endurance- ... 603&sr=1-1

Both may look really small, but if you search for them on YouTube, you can see in different reviews that they have a lot of storage space, both on the back and on the front straps. They also sit really high on the back, so they can be strapped in tight for comfort. They both have straps that have a mesh material that allows for airflow around the body, which is going to be a nice thing to have on the hot playa.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby SquirrelHead » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:24 am

Fufa wrote:I think I spent $30 or so on my store brand hydration pack from Mountain Equipment Co-op. Came with a removable bladder. Get a smaller cheapo backpack you like, then buy a good brand of bladder to use inside. I'm a fan of the big zip Platypus ones. I usually do 2 bladders, both half full. One has water, one has spiked lemonade :mrgreen:

I like your thinking Fufa! I think the 2 half full bladders is the way to go. Now I can have my hydration and good times all at the same time. :D
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Second the putting a bladder in your regular backback. If you look up the what's in your backpack thread, then make your list, you may find a Camelback/waterpack doesn't have enough space. I have pinned fur to my backpack, and I'm sure there are other creative ways to make a regular all it can be, and with your water inside too.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Fufa » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:43 pm

SquirrelHead wrote:
Fufa wrote:I think I spent $30 or so on my store brand hydration pack from Mountain Equipment Co-op. Came with a removable bladder. Get a smaller cheapo backpack you like, then buy a good brand of bladder to use inside. I'm a fan of the big zip Platypus ones. I usually do 2 bladders, both half full. One has water, one has spiked lemonade :mrgreen:

I like your thinking Fufa! I think the 2 half full bladders is the way to go. Now I can have my hydration and good times all at the same time. :D

I have one tube/mouthpiece strapped to either backpack strap too. Turn right, WATER! Turn left, VODKA LEMONADE!
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 pm

I found my platypus today. I still have the bladder in it. Did I use it in 03? Later? I got it for 03, I don't know if I ever used it after that. Anyway, I'm just going to stick it on my chair to keep a few emergency supplies in, because I don't want to buy a new one, and I can't quite see using the clear vinyl backpack...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby incubus_pantomime » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Quick tip!

Don't know if anyone will find this useful, but I've found a good "recipe" for disinfecting bladders without leaving a nasty taste. I use lemon juice diluted with some water, and then add in a small capful of iodine or vinegar. Helps to clear out the mildew without leaving a nasty aftertaste like bleach can do.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:14 pm

... unless you're allergic to iodine. Like me. We just use diluted vinegar. Hang them propped open to dry, then we store ours in the dark pantry, slightly inflated, not squished flat. Keep your bite valves very clean, the bacteria from your mouth can grow and give you the shits if you get careless. Get spare bite valves.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Fufa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Empty and rinse them as soon as you're done using them! Then air dry and keep inflated like AntiM said. Because I never mix my water and my alcohol bladders, I don't worry about taste too much. However, if things get ranky my favorite cleaning method is a good 1/4 cup of baking soda, fill 'er up in water, shake it like crazy, and then leave it all day. Empty and rinse well after. Repeat until the smell and taste is gone. I had to do this after the taste of chlorinated purification tablets permeated them when I went backpacking. If the tube is the problem, invest in a cleaning kit with long brushes, they're no more than $10.

I avoid vinegar, it smells so strong I find it makes the problem even worse.
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:07 am

incubus_pantomime wrote:
5280MeV wrote: We're playing army out here, goddammit.

+1

Personally, I'm a fan of my model. Being a burgin, I like the packs that are made for runners. They're usually smaller and have pockets on the straps, so you can easily access certain things without taking off the pack itself..

Check out DaKine packs as well. My girlfriend uses a small, slim line biking bag with built in 2L hydration pack from them and loves it. I've rocked my Heli-Pro snowboarding bag for years now both on and off playa and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby zer0mass » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Spend the money on a good bladder, the larger the better in my opinion. I would even recoment upgrading to the insulated tube if you can, it helps keep it just a little cooler. After that as long as whatever backpack you get to hold it works and feels like it will hold up for at least a week should be fine. I tend to spend a bit more on my backpacks because I am hard on them. Check out your local army/nave surplus too, they can have some good deals on them.
zer0mass

Postby rmontgom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:18 pm

I bought a camelbak last year after my friend insisted I needed one. I think I overdid it because it was bulky and I really got tired of carrying it around. I couldn't wait for shorter excursions where I could get away with trekking about without it. Towards the latter part of the week I was carrying it less and less.

One thing to consider is that you shouldn't fill your camelbak with ice water. The condensation will collect around the bladder and seep through the bag. This gives you a lovely cold wet sensation running down your back and ass crack. So unpleasant...

I also had my bike most of the time so I modified a lunchbox to mount on the handlebars which was great for toting bottled water or beers.

The first thing I bought when I got back from the playa was a cheap (under 10$) fanny pack. It has holders on both sides for 2 decent sized bottles which were included. I intend to use one bottle for water and the other as a cup as needed. It also has plenty of room for GU, Baby Wipes and other kit. Between the two options I'm definitely covered.

It's important to hydrate but you really don't need to carry 3 liters at a time. You'll be heading back to camp periodically to eat, nap, and refill your water etc.
rmontgom

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm

There's at least one camelbak that has a waterproof compartment in it which is pretty handy if you want to keep stuff relatively dust free, like electronics or whatever. I've been using it to haul camera gear around while I'm snowboarding or mountain biking and it's been working really well.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby pink » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:28 pm

I drink a ton of water when I'm out & about; I get dry mouth very quickly. I'll take out my camelback (which also has a big enough pocket for van/bike lock keys, lip balm, asst. other stuff) as well as a couple of empty Gatorade bottles refilled with water. Sometimes the bottles get stolen from my bike basket, but oh well. Still have never made it out to the trash fence by bike due to running out of water.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:00 pm

pink wrote:I drink a ton of water when I'm out & about; I get dry mouth very quickly. I'll take out my camelback (which also has a big enough pocket for van/bike lock keys, lip balm, asst. other stuff) as well as a couple of empty Gatorade bottles refilled with water. Sometimes the bottles get stolen from my bike basket, but oh well. Still have never made it out to the trash fence by bike due to running out of water.

Have you tried supplementing your water with an electrolyte mix like Vitalyte? You may be able to cut your water consumption by 1/3 - 1/2 easily.. Sounds like your body is really craving something.
junglesmacks

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:28 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
pink wrote:I drink a ton of water when I'm out & about; I get dry mouth very quickly. I'll take out my camelback (which also has a big enough pocket for van/bike lock keys, lip balm, asst. other stuff) as well as a couple of empty Gatorade bottles refilled with water. Sometimes the bottles get stolen from my bike basket, but oh well. Still have never made it out to the trash fence by bike due to running out of water.

Have you tried supplementing your water with an electrolyte mix like Vitalyte? You may be able to cut your water consumption by 1/3 - 1/2 easily.. Sounds like your body is really craving something.

Hmmm, yeah, or they also have electrolyte tablets you can add to the bladder. Also you can get some pretty giant bladders (100oz) which is almost a gallon. Some of the bigger packs you can add more than one bladder too, if you really want to haul a lot around with you. ;)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 pm

rmontgom wrote:It's important to hydrate but you really don't need to carry 3 liters at a time. You'll be heading back to camp periodically to eat, nap, and refill your water etc.

FWIW, my DaKine Heli-Pro backpack with integrated Camelbak has a 3L bladder and if I leave camp during day for an extended trek, I'll run out eventually.. but just about right.
junglesmacks

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:07 pm

New Hydration Pack spotted at CostlyCo. They are in pastel hughes this year and have a new side zipper to get at the hydration bladder and tube. The whole top of the bladder opens up so it would be easy to put ice in and easier to clean. They are 25 bucks. If i didn't have 2 of the older generation ones I would have splurged. All the Spring Camping stuff is in and it seems like the new thing is deployable side tables on chairs. I may end up with one of those after long as they look perfect for lounging/recuperating in the shade.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby mzfit » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 am

I have bought the cheap pack and then upgraded to 100 oz camelbak bladders. I actually use 2 bags out there - both outfitted for what is needed. I have a smaller one for daytime that includes the items I need to be out for the afternoon/evening. When I go back to camp I switch to a bigger backpack for the night. That bag includes extra layers and lights and such. I fill both in the morning and have them set for me. It works out pretty well for the most part. An extra bite valve is a must for my spare supplies - just in case!

I also handle things a bit differently on occasion. I have an old WW2 ammo belt with 5 pockets and places for hanging other items. Sometimes for an afternoon I will skip the camelbak and just hang a nalgene of water from that belt - and put smokes/camera/gum/stuff in the pockets - but only if I plan on being out 4 hours or less. I know that you CAN get water from others - but my RSR says I need to take care of me and not rely on that! Also for some nights I will skip the backpack and just wear my playa coat. My wife made it for me for my second burn and it meets all my needs. I have 2 large exterior pockets that will each hold a gallon jug. For the man burn I take a bottle of champagne or apple pie in one of the pockets and then water in the other. I also have 3 other pockets on the inside to store other things I may need - goggles/bandana/snack/"stuff". It is big enough to sit down and have room for others to join me on/in it!

Then again - my brother playa named me Scout - because I am always prepared for what I run into!
mzfit

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:18 pm

ok so i just got a new camelbak and am looking into electo mix. I found this online- Do you think this would work just a well as vitalyte?
2 quarts of water
5-10 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium salt)
1 pack of sugar-free drink flavoring

this is what Vitalyte has in it-
Glucose, Fructose, Citric Acid, Sodium Cloride, Potassium Cloride, Natural Orange Flavor, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Citrate, Calcium Citrate, and Beta Carotene
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Elorrum » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:14 pm

if you have a bike, let it carry some of the stuff for you. Here's a cheap bottle cage made from a coat hanger.
I have a couple of these on my bike. They dont' need brazed on fittings on the bike frame to attach. I get off the bike, and put the bottle(s) in my pockets.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:14 pm

any one about the mix?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Lassen Forge » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:49 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:ok so i just got a new camelbak and am looking into electo mix. I found this online- Do you think this would work just a well as vitalyte?
2 quarts of water
5-10 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium salt)
1 pack of sugar-free drink flavoring

this is what Vitalyte has in it-
Glucose, Fructose, Citric Acid, Sodium Cloride, Potassium Cloride, Natural Orange Flavor, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Citrate, Calcium Citrate, and Beta Carotene

It's okay... but I have questions...

Glucose and fructose isn't the same as Sucrose (sugar)... they absorb easier.

The big is Potassium salts (in VL - Potassium Chloride, dipotassium phosphate)... add that to the Sodium Chloride and sodium bicarb (in both), that's a lot of salt! The Citrates in Vitalyte add to the electrolyte mix (which you don't have), but like I said, the biggie is Potassium.

Try it, see how you do with it. It sounds like it would be OK, tho I'd go with Glucose (or Fructose if you're trying to save $$$) over Sucrose.... absorbs and converts better.

Question - why are you making this yourself? Vitalyte / Emergen-c / etc. are balanced and work pretty well... tho I also know they are pricey!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby jojofroyo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:04 pm

I have used my camel back out there for all the years I've been going! I never leave camp with out it! When I ride my bike, I just strap it to my bike and at night, I wear it under my costume!
The only bad thing about them is if you put too much pressure on the bladder it, water will come up out the refill lid. But I fixed that by lining the threads with some plumber's thread tape.
it works for a leaky flask too!
jojofroyo

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Champagne Loumge

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks