Playa Info Needs Volunteers!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Playa Info Needs Volunteers!

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:47 pm

While at the Burnal Equinox event this past weekend, I had a chat with Snow at the Playa Info desk about their plans for this year's burn. With such a large number of new participants this year, they are working on plans to beef up the staffing at Playa Info. They have volunteer opportunities for every skill or experience level, and are looking for as many people as they can to help them meet this year's challenge. Check out this page for more info and to sign up.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Playa Info Needs Volunteers!

Postby International Incident » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Now this sounds like fun! I could warp some young minds :D
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby maryanimal » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:45 pm

I tried filling out an app for volunteering at Playa Info, but couldn't get the page to submit my app.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby lemur » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:47 pm

melaniejane wrote:Now this sounds like fun! I could warp some young minds :D

at least in the past....... all you need to do to warp young minds was to show up and sit down at the playa info desk after hours..

i think i recall seeing signs about not trusting info after a certain time...
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby tamarakay » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:01 pm

lemur wrote:

at least in the past....... all you need to do to warp young minds was to show up and sit down at the playa info desk after hours..

i think i recall seeing signs about not trusting info after a certain time...

ok, that is the funniest thing i've read in a long time. My imagination is going crazy lol
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby TinkerMom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:55 pm

How about an old demented mind, cuz, I signed up!!
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby International Incident » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:07 pm

TinkerMom wrote:

How about an old demented mind, cuz, I signed up!!

He he, we should do a shift together... really mess with people

But in a nice, helpful, productive way!

Otherwise that wouldn't be very nice would it?
International Incident

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:19 pm

One of the funniest posts on the Burning Blog in the last year or so (and there have been some great ones) is this one from Caveat Magister about an after-hours shift at Playa Info :-)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby TinkerMom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:22 pm

Productive, yes!!

Helpful, most likely!!

Nice??? Well....... I do have a dry sense of humor, that might cover it up.

And I do have a BS degree... :twisted:

TinkerMom

Postby International Incident » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks Trilo - that's a great post. i love the "getting the Japanese tourists to sing bit".
And yes i agree:
We need more artistic wars at Burning Man – and more whimsical bastards.

TM - between your degree in BS and mine in advanced BS (read: law) we could really have some fun!

I can play the "straight" man and you can take the piss. Or whatever. But yah for helping people and also entertaining them.
International Incident

Postby TinkerMom » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm

melaniejane wrote:Thanks Trilo - that's a great post. i love the "getting the Japanese tourists to sing bit".
And yes i agree:
We need more artistic wars at Burning Man – and more whimsical bastards.

TM - between your degree in BS and mine in advanced BS (read: law) we could really have some fun!

I can play the "straight" man and you can take the piss. Or whatever. But yah for helping people and also entertaining them.

LOVE IT!!!!!!! :lol: :twisted: :lol:

TinkerMom

Postby Elorrum » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm

I like some good humored friction. Stand your ground and have a smile handy. kernel at the core of "fuck yer day." I went to the post office the year before last, and came back to camp. I got the debriefing questions of where and what and how much fun etc. "I went to the post office." "Oh, How was it?" "I'm sort of bummed, they were nice, no questions asked." Usually I prepare a treat or trick (did rope tricks one year) and expect a hard time in order to get my post cards mailed. It's a highlight.

maybe I'll join youses.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby lemur » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:56 pm

ive used the post office tons of times at the burn to send and receive packages and never have had an interesting experience, just helpful folks..... but in line ive seen others get a slightly different treatment..

perhaps showing up to the post office with a friendly smile, polite demeanor.. documents out and ready to go goes a long way to deciding how your experience there goes!! shocking.. its almost like the REAL post office ;-)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby International Incident » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Elorrum wrote:I like some good humored friction. Stand your ground and have a smile handy. kernel at the core of "fuck yer day." I went to the post office the year before last, and came back to camp. I got the debriefing questions of where and what and how much fun etc. "I went to the post office." "Oh, How was it?" "I'm sort of bummed, they were nice, no questions asked." Usually I prepare a treat or trick (did rope tricks one year) and expect a hard time in order to get my post cards mailed. It's a highlight.

maybe I'll join youses.

I think the three of us qwould make a good team!

Looking forward to sending someone out to the trash fence for the invite only Daft Punk gig.
International Incident

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:22 am

trilobyte wrote:One of the funniest posts on the Burning Blog in the last year or so (and there have been some great ones) is this one from Caveat Magister about an after-hours shift at Playa Info :-)

You are right and this is so funny! I read this in one of my first forays on the board and as a virgin burner I appreciate the reality of "bastards" on the playa as much as all the warm fuzzy stuff. This story is hilarious and a very insightful perspective, one that I think should be required reading for everyone attending, veterans and virgins alike! I a about as "unbastardly" as you can get but variety is the spice of life and it might just be a little boring without encountering a "bastard" every once in a while:-)
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:49 am

trilobyte wrote:One of the funniest posts on the Burning Blog in the last year or so (and there have been some great ones) is this one from Caveat Magister about an after-hours shift at Playa Info.

Reading the comments, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the chickenshit antics he describes are really bad ideas. It's possible to prank and not cause harm, and if you do cause a bit of harm, please keep it among friends who can find you and punch you in the face if you deserve it.

ObTopic, I'm sure every org volunteer group will have high turnover this year.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:32 pm

Aside from some turnover, they may have some calls to increase their ranks for this year. I've put the offer out to any of the departments I've had the opportunity to meet with to invite them to post their needs (or have us post on their behalf). Hopefully in the coming weeks we'll hear from a few other departments.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 pm

If anyone's planning to staff the Playa Info office after-hours on a lark, knowing where to send people in genuine distress (Sanctuary, Medical, Rangers, and maybe the nearest portos) seems like a good plan first. I know this is all about the food court, and the public pool, and the Daft Punk show--but you don't want to be caught unawares by a real problem, and therefore add to someone's unhappiness after they have detoured however many yards thinking Playa Info is open.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby graidawg » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:19 pm

can someone give me a hand, i want to reafirm my intent to volounteer but i filled out the volounteer form last year, but didnt actually promise any shifts because i knd of new i would be to full of wow. i really want to do a few shifts in various places this year but because i have flled out the questionare i keep getting led in circles. pm me with advice on what to do please :)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Savannah » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:39 pm

graidawg wrote:can someone give me a hand, i want to reafirm my intent to volounteer but i filled out the volounteer form last year, but didnt actually promise any shifts because i knd of new i would be to full of wow. i really want to do a few shifts in various places this year but because i have flled out the questionare i keep getting led in circles. pm me with advice on what to do please :)

This is just part of your plan for me to PM you, isn't it? :)

Grai, have you narrowed it down to the areas you want to volunteer for? That will help. I note that when I go here:

http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

And then click on a category (for example, DMV) there is an email address on that page. Same with Gate/Perimeter/Exodus (email address at the bottom), and so on. I would start by sending an email to 1-3 volunteer areas that interested me, telling them I'd submitted a volunteer questionnaire a year ago and was coming back for my second year knowing a bit more about what was up, and ask to be added to their email lists. Being on the email list is a good way to know about who the volunteer coordinators are, and when shifts come up for the taking--usually in May or June and after.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby International Incident » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Savannah wrote:If anyone's planning to staff the Playa Info office after-hours on a lark, knowing where to send people in genuine distress (Sanctuary, Medical, Rangers, and maybe the nearest portos) seems like a good plan first. I know this is all about the food court, and the public pool, and the Daft Punk show--but you don't want to be caught unawares by a real problem, and therefore add to someone's unhappiness after they have detoured however many yards thinking Playa Info is open.

My comments, above, where meant in pure fun. I second what S has said. I promise to be at my most helpful for the genuine needy folks. But an inane question will be treated with minor snark followed up with actual help.
International Incident

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:15 pm

From this week's Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter

PLAYA INFO VOLUNTEER CALL OUT

Want to volunteer with a fun group? Do you like helping people? Dedicate at least two four-hour shifts to hang out in the shade interacting with fellow Black Rock City denizens? Then, you should join Playa Info!

Volunteering at Playa Info is a satisfying way to participate at Burning Man and is an incredible opportunity to see what makes Burning Man happen. As a PI volunteer, you'll have an constant interaction with the variety of people who make up BRC.

We are looking for enthusiastic, people- and service-oriented volunteers. Check out more details here.

Get involved! Fill out the Volunteer Questionnaire and be sure to check the Playa Info box

We can't wait to meet you!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ++X++ » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:21 am

nest year i plan to be a volunteer here, i love to give intelligent info in a crazy way or crazy info in an intelligent way ... i never remember. The best advice i give during a burning like event in europe is when people look at the rideshare, i look at their beautiful girlfriend (often topless or in bikini) and say "if you really want a rideshare, you have to take a pen and write directly on your girlfriend, it works better .... and add 'at least free hugs' like this even if you don't have the ride, you'll get a lot of love"

.... and it works everytime this advice
crazy (of course) french juggler,balloon twister,origamiste, poet,....
no burning but 3 nowhere (www.goingnowhere.org/) but why is the state so far away???

objective of 2013 : burn my spirit on a higher fire and volunteer for this
++X++

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Humin » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:29 am

++X++ wrote:nest year i plan to be a volunteer here, i love to give intelligent info in a crazy way or crazy info in an intelligent way ... i never remember. The best advice i give during a burning like event in europe is when people look at the rideshare, i look at their beautiful girlfriend (often topless or in bikini) and say "if you really want a rideshare, you have to take a pen and write directly on your girlfriend, it works better .... and add 'at least free hugs' like this even if you don't have the ride, you'll get a lot of love"

.... and it works everytime this advice

That's awesome get this guy right here.
Humin

Burning Since: 2013

Return to Get Involved!