Why Are So Few Tickets Being Scalped

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Why Are So Few Tickets Being Scalped

Postby Psycho » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Savannah wrote:Indeed. That bogus quote is not a blog post--it's from the Comments Area, which is notorious for having trolls posting in there as Marian, Larry, Mary Magdalene, Jesus Christ, D.B. Cooper, etc.

No, no... I'm pretty sure Jesus Christ really does post comments there...

But definitely don't believe the others...

8)
Psycho

Postby Smenkare » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Mitch wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Mitch wrote:Total population growth last year was 5%

Okay, lets not use last year's population growth as indicative of anything, since there was the cap from the permit. We know that demand outstripped supply, we don't know what supply was...

Mitch wrote:Also agree that ARGUING about it is futile, but if you want to be involved in making a plan for the future, then you need the facts. The Bmorg is being parsimonius with them, so we can take what's available and try to postulate the rest. A public debate, with many voices being heard, is a good way to create theories of what went on.

I don't know if we are creating theories, or just spit-balling because human beings feel safer if they believe they understand what's going on. After a month of this ticketing discussion, plus whatever went on last year, I think that very little useful is coming from these discussions. While I agree that more information would improve the quality of the analysis of some of us (not, necessarily my own), I think that most of the verbiage is inherently unhelpful, in part because most of the "theorists" don't have the background to make good use of the information, and in part because they just don't care about the truth, so long as they can have that feeling of self-assurance of a comforting hypothesis.

Crypto! Don't take my infoout of context....I looked up the pop growth for each of the last 5 years, the most was 21%. It FELL 12% in 2009. Last year did indeed reach the cap, but not until the summer, so it's not a bad assumption that supply wasn't too far behind demand.

Can't speak for other people, but I've attempted to use the kind of mathematical analysis that economists and analysts use when valuing companies. You take the data that's available, plug in what seems like reasonable assumptions, and go from there. The alternative of believing everything you're told is not particularly satisfying.

My background is in Anthropology and Public Health administration.
We plan things like the placement of public health clinics and fire stations as well as purchasing for vaccines, and emergency medical supplies. I don't analyze the math, but I do gather it.

Example:

When the swine flu panic hit the demand for vaccinations outstripped supply.
Not that tickets have anything to do with vaccinations, but some paralells can be drawn.

1) A comodity is greatly desired by a large population.
2) There is not a sufficient quantity of the comodity for the entire population that wants it.
3) Methods are utilized by members of said population to ensure they get access to said comodity.
4) Fear and anger ensues among the population that does not have immidiate or clear access to the comodity.
5) Hoarding and or segragation of said comodity by indiduals who wish to use it for either profit or for the protection of their own social group may occur in some cases. (Scalping and hoarding)

We can make more vaccine, but we rarely ever have enough to cover everyone who wants a shot at the time of flu season.
We can't make more playa...or can we?

Given that the burner community is larger than the government imposed carrying capacity of the Playa at this point, we'll have to look at other options. Some have put forth bigger and better regional events. I'd personally be in favor of this idea.
Go bigger at home.

1) It would take some of the pressure off ALL OF US to vie for tickets when there just aren't enough to go around anymore.
2) Cheaper expenses: regional events means you don't have as many people and they don't have as far to go, thus enabling the fostering of grassroots burner communities in remoter areas among individuals who don't have the money or the work schedules to allow them to go to the Playa yearly.
3) Increase of diversity of burner culture by making it more accessable. What better way to cut your teeth on running or joining a theme camp if you can test it out at a local event? Same thing goes for an art project.
4) Staggered regional burns allows burners from other regions to visit another region's burn. This could be a great way to get some projects headed to the Playa or maybe projects coming back from the playa, more recognition and into communities that would appreciate them and might not otherwise get to experience them.
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
Smenkare

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Of course, this year nobody's getting a the flu shot...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Smenkare » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:41 pm

People who got ticket confirmations have got their "shot"
People who will eventually get tickets through STEP or other means will get their "Shot" too.

Tickets will still change hands, like they always do.
Tension's just high right now because this is new and nobody knows what will happen.

I think I've wasted enough time today being sensible. I'm going to go make some art.

Peace.
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
Smenkare

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lemur » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 pm

lemur

Postby lemur » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:41 pm

lemur

Postby lemur » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:17 pm

lemur

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:06 am

We will see.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Stephendragonfly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:42 am

LOL Somebody has posted a pair of $250,000 tickets for Burning Man on Stubhub.
And they don't even come with parking.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:47 am

Stephendragonfly wrote:LOL Somebody has posted a pair of $250,000 tickets for Burning Man on Stubhub.

Watch as a few threads pop up: "I can't believe it! Some scalper is making $250,000 on Burning Man tickets!"
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby mshaman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:04 pm

BBadger wrote:
Stephendragonfly wrote:LOL Somebody has posted a pair of $250,000 tickets for Burning Man on Stubhub.

Watch as a few threads pop up: "I can't believe it! Some scalper is making $250,000 on Burning Man tickets!"

Bwahah. Perhaps it will be posted by "Maid Marian".
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion