STEP Tickets - WillCall & Drop outs - Please help

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

STEP Tickets - WillCall & Drop outs - Please help

Postby TorgIshere » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi there,

A friend of mine got an email saying that she was eligible for tickets via step. She initially won tickets for her, her boyfriend, myself, and my friend.

She is still debating if she should go ( I say yes), but I have a problem on my hands.

If she buys the tickets, and decides not to go at the last minute, how are we supposed to pickup the tickets if they are registered under her name?
Can we change the willcall name? Is there a way to provide names and drivers license numbers for the other attendees? If she drops out at the last minute will she effectively ruin it for everyone else?

Is there a way for us to pickup the tickets at Will Call WITHOUT HER?

This has to have been addressed. I can easily see this being a huge issue.

Please let me know. I have only a couple more days to get her to use her STEPS link. Thanks so much.
TorgIshere

Re: STEP Tickets - WillCall & Drop outs - Please help

Postby Shadowcasting » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Uhhhh how, exactly, did she become eligible for FOUR tickets through STEP?? I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that, but... explain it to us. Given that she obviously scammed the system... TWICE .... I would, of course, say she should refuse all four so that people who did the right thing can get them instead :p
Shadowcasting

Postby TorgIshere » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Shadowcasting wrote:Uhhhh how, exactly, did she become eligible for FOUR tickets through STEP?? I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that, but... explain it to us.

Whats with your attitude? Seriously?

She won tickets in the PRe-PreSale at $400 or whatever it was. They sent her an email saying her purchase was declined by the bank or something. She got another email... which was forwarded to me...

"You are receiving this email because you registered for the Burning Man 2012 Main Sale but were not awarded tickets. Since you were not able to buy tickets through the Main Sale, you are now eligible to sign up for a chance to buy tickets that may become available through our Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP). Tickets available through STEP come from other buyers who are reselling their tickets they cannot use. All STEP tickets are sold at face value plus regular delivery & service fees.
If you originally registered for two tickets, you will be signed up for the chance to purchase two resold tickets via STEP."

aaaaaand... After reading that I realize now that SHE didn't read the email completely either. It says "a chance to buy tickets" and it mentions ONLY TWO. So

Thats answers that... This has been a pain my ass. This still doesnt answer my question. What if she drops out? does the other person have to forgo the burn?
TorgIshere

Postby Stickygreen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:20 pm

keep reading....

the answer is out there!
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:43 pm

TorgIshere wrote:Hi there,

A friend of mine got an email saying that she was eligible for tickets via step. She initially won tickets for her, her boyfriend, myself, and my friend.

She is still debating if she should go ( I say yes), but I have a problem on my hands.

If she buys the tickets, and decides not to go at the last minute, how are we supposed to pickup the tickets if they are registered under her name?
Can we change the willcall name? Is there a way to provide names and drivers license numbers for the other attendees? If she drops out at the last minute will she effectively ruin it for everyone else?

Is there a way for us to pickup the tickets at Will Call WITHOUT HER?

This has to have been addressed. I can easily see this being a huge issue.

Please let me know. I have only a couple more days to get her to use her STEPS link. Thanks so much.

Okay, this is a good question, because normally you could transfer ownership of (ordinary) Will Call tickets using an online form, or a last-minute letter when it's too late to use the form. As outlined here: http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#elsepickup

However, STEP tickets are different. They're not transferrable. And these are in your friend's name. She could arrive at the Burn and put the remaining ticket in another name. But if she drops out she can't assign those tickets to you. She can only sell them back into STEP.

Q: Can I transfer tickets I buy through STEP to somebody else after I buy them?
A: No, tickets purchased through STEP are non-transferable. Both tickets will be held at Will Call under the name of the purchaser. If both parties are arriving separately, the buyer of the ticket may collect both tickets and then leave the second under the other name at the Will Call window.

Q: My family member registered for a ticket for me in the Main Sale. Will I get an email to sign up for STEP?
A: Only the person named in the original registration is eligible to participate in STEP.

Q: If I buy a ticket through STEP, but then can’t go to the event, can I sell it back into STEP?
A: Yes. The only way you can sell a ticket you’ve bought through STEP is to sell it back through STEP. You may not assign or sell a STEP ticket to another person of your own choosing.

Q: If I buy a ticket through STEP can I sell it to someone else outside of STEP?
A: No. Tickets bought through STEP are non-transferable. If you need to sell back a ticket you bought through STEP, you must do so using STEP and you may not choose the recipient. You can sell your ticket back to STEP until August 7.

http://tickets2.burningman.com/faq.php#steptransfer
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jella » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Thank you Savannah for doing what you do ♥
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Savannah » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:52 pm

((((Jella))))
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby AntiM » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Well, people were asking for non-transferable tickets. Now we have them.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lemur » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:40 pm

AntiM wrote:Well, people were asking for non-transferable tickets. Now we have them.

yes! if all 2000 of the first queue of STEP tickets go through.. we will have at least 6000 non transferable tickets..

or about 10.5% of the total! (and possibly more)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:34 pm

Non-transferable individual tickets are one thing. Non-transferable groups of tickets assigned to just one person are another thing.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lemur » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 pm

theres only on Thing!

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm betting there's an illigitiment, little known thing running around out there somewhere too.
junglesmacks

Postby Astrochuppa » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Junglesmacks - But that person was the one who put in for the lottery and entered STEP.

The whole STEP system was in place to give those people who missed out on the lottery *BUT WHO DID APPLY TO BE IN IT* another chance.

And the names on the tickets are in place to prevent people transferring the tickets and scalping them by just adding the person they sold it to's name to the Will Call list.

If the original person drops out, then their Lottery Entry STEP place is now invalid. Otherwise we risk the STEP tickets being scalped.
Astrochuppa

Postby AntiM » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:49 am

Precisely. What was requested and received? Non-transferable tickets, and two tickets per order so the couples weren't left out. Not a pair of tickets, one of which could be transferred.

No matter what the scenario, someone will be screwed and unhappy.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:10 am

Astrochuppa wrote:Junglesmacks - But that person was the one who put in for the lottery and entered STEP.

Yes.. I'm totally understanding that and agreeing with you that this is a tricky situation. If we are moving to non-transferable tickets, they then need to be individually registered and/or assigned instead of one person having control over more than one ticket.

Trying to compare this situation to everyone wanting non-transferable tickets and using it as an example of why it wouldn't work doesn't totally hold water because of this exact scenario. If we're going to adopt that system, then they need to be individually assigned and have independent names attached to them. Radical self-reliance and all that jazz.
junglesmacks

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:50 pm

I gotta weigh in here...

Damn near EVERYONE was pissed about scalpers, and made the suggestion about assined tickets.

The BMOrg, is a rare exhibit of listening to everyone aquiesced. You GOT exactly what you wanted - Tickets that are assigned to one person.

Now people are BITCHING because they are registered assigned tickets??

I am working my ass off to stay rational, but it's damn hard...

YOU GOT WHAT YOU ASKED FOR. Jeez...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 am

The definitive answer - the tickets are not transferable for any reason. The registrant/ticket purchaser is the only person who may claim them at the box office.

If your friend is unable to go and reaches that decision before August 7, they should be able to sell their tickets back into STEP.

No ifs, no ands, no buts. If you show up at the box office without tickets and your name is not on an order being held at will call, they will turn YOUR ENTIRE VEHICLE AROUND and send you back to Reno.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion