Just Throwing It Out There

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Just Throwing It Out There

Postby waynerd » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:41 pm

So last November I started a new job doing graphics/web at a company here in Calgary. This company handles EVERYTHING for charity lotteries such as you've all probably seen for Children's Hospitals, Health foundations etc which usually involve large "dreamhome" giveaways and lots of car prizes etc.

They sell tickets for these lotteries, by the thousands. They sell them online, the have a call center where they are sold over the phone and people can also mail in their request for tickets (albeit that wouldn't be plausible here). Since these are lottery tickets and the winners need to prove that they own the ticket, every ticket has a NAME assigned to it.

Lately I've been wondering what the hell the problem is/was with selling 40,000 tickets? Especially since I'm sitting in an office everyday with people who DO IT over and over again. Sure our "rushes" aren't as extreme as perhaps the first 3 weeks of BM sales but we prep for them, more phone people, guys monitoring the servers etc and almost every lottery we handle DOES eventually sell out. So if a small company like this can handle it, what the hell is the problem?

If anyone cares there is a company here in Calgary that could sell next years BM tickets on a first come first served basis with the buyers NAME attached to it, reducing scalping. The thing is, we're not the only company who does this, (obviously). I'm not trying to "wrangle some business for my defaultia day job" I'm simply pointing out that there are solutions out there and have been for a long time (the company I work for has been around 20 years).

Maybe I just don't get it, but as I read all the troubles people are having getting and now even "giving" tickets I get more and more frustrated and I am one of the lucky virgins that won a ticket in the lottery. I can't imagine how some of you trying to get tickets in STEP are feeling. My heart goes out to you.

Just my two bits, take it for what it's worth.
W
Excuse me, this is way different than what was described in the brochure!
waynerd

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cameltopia 2014! 8:30 & E

Re: Just Throwing It Out There

Postby Elderberry » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Believe me, you're not the only one that is perplexed by this.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion