Thoughts on the STEP Program

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Thoughts on the STEP Program

Postby JayBobBoy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:15 am

I will be waiting at 12noon tomorrow. Hovering over my e-mail inbox, just like everyone else who did not get tickets from the initial draw.

Human nature has been discussed to death on this forum. Many good discussions have been had (and some, not so much). What everyone agrees on is there is a scarcity of tickets and human nature in this type of situation is to act out of ones own good rather than considering greater implications.

That being said, I fear that the STEP program is doomed before it even begins.

As for the burners that sell back into the program, I say bravo. And I mean it. You have done what so many others have conspired against and given back to the community as it should be. Unfortunately, you are in the minority. There are too many speculators and scalpers and "maybe" burners holding tickets who know they can get more than face value if they wait. I'm pissed at them, but I don't fault any of these groups of ticket holders. They are merely acting within the set of rules that have been established, using the natural human ability to exploit situations to our own benefit.

We have been told there were 140,000 or so ticket requests. That number is probably low. Just for fun, lets say that there were 50,000 requests for tickets that went unfulfilled. How many of those requests will be redeemed for a place in the STEP program?

Will scalpers and speculators renew their bids? Yes...there is still too much reward on the line and very little risk. Because the resale market is stalled waiting for hard copies of tickets, the aftermarket prices are still perceived to be higher than face value. (It's not just perception)

Will hoarders (people who entered multiple times for more than they needed) renew their ticket bids? Unfortunately...Yes. In the STEP program there is an option to not purchase the tickets. Because of this there is no risk in redeeming all of your denied entries. Why not try and get the best place in the queue that you can.

Finally, will hoarders (as described above), who've won the tickets they need, renew their losing bids? I believe that some will, but most will not. So this represents the greatest potential to reduce the competition.

So what am I going to do?
I need two tickets. I have three losing entries (2 tix each) to use to get into the STEP program. I'm going to use all three to get the best possible place in line.

As with before, human nature will do what it does best. All I can do is cling to the little bits of hope I have left (for a ticket people...there is more to life, I get it).

How will you handle this STEP thing?
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Re: Thoughts on the STEP Program

Postby remi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 am

I am going to light a candle and pray for STEP.

I agree with everything above. The crappy part is even if hoarders got tickets in the lotto, they will still try to get tickets through STEP.. and if they are awarded with more tickets, they will either hook up a buddy, or just sell there orginal tickets via stubhub and keep the non-transferable tickets.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 am

tlto
In answer to the question at the bottom, I don't know but I'm sick of thinking about it. This whole thing is turning into some anti-feminist joke that ends up with a punchline that ends with "...to process (it)."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:22 am

The number wasn't 140K, but 120K. Still a bonkers/crazy/insane number, far more interest than had ever been shown in Burning Man in the past. 40K of the demand was satisfied, and those who receive tickets via the Directed Ticket Distribution program won't be able to purchase tickets via STEP.

Will scalpers and hoarders register to get tickets in STEP? Maybe, it depends on if they personally want to go. The name used for registration back in January can not be changed, and is the non-transferable name that will be on the order waiting for them at the will call window.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky420 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:33 am

JayBobBoy
I need two tickets. I have three losing entries (2 tix each) to use to get into the STEP program. I'm going to use all three to get the best possible place in line.

So you gaming the system didn't work the first time? Now you're going to try gaming it again? Is this your intention? Forgive my misunderstanding if I am wrong, but my understanding is right, well...fuck
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby JayBobBoy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 am

I am guilty. I am going to do whatever I can to get tickets. If that means using all the entries at my disposal then so be it. Sorry if that makes you angry. I'm only going to buy the tickets I need.

As a side note, We initially signed up for six tickets for five people in need and got none. Since that time three have backed out because of this mess, so it's down to two of us. We didn't initially sign up as hoarders (In hindsight we probably should have). After feeling like we got really screwed, why would I forgo an opportunity for this second chance?

The name on the ticket thing (non transferable) will dissuade some of the scalpers, that's a good thing. I did not count on that in my OP.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Postby lucky420 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:11 pm

No not really angry, just frustrated, like everybody else on this board...

Good luck and I hope that you do get tix
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 pm

It will be kind of funny if your proxies get tickets and you don't. Just sayin'
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby mshaman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:21 pm

@JayBobBoy-- It seems to me that scalpers and hoarders have greatly reduced options because the tickets are non-transferable. You can't sell them to someone else unless you happened to a) used that someone's name on your original ticket application (1 seat) or b) already have them lined up to buy a ticket from you on the 1% chance you get a ticket, and you are certain they aren't going to buy one another way in the mean time. These two scenarios are not likely.

My concern is simply that the number of tickets going in to step will be absolutely miniscule compared to the demand, like, statistical noise.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby RACESV » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:59 pm

trilobyte wrote:and those who receive tickets via the Directed Ticket Distribution program won't be able to purchase tickets via STEP.

Are all the tickets in this program being distributed before noon tomorrow? 10,000 less people in line should be helpful.
RACESV

Postby unjonharley » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:13 pm

RACESV wrote:
trilobyte wrote:and those who receive tickets via the Directed Ticket Distribution program won't be able to purchase tickets via STEP.

Are all the tickets in this program being distributed before noon tomorrow? 10,000 less people in line should be helpful.

I read it as the 10 000 have not been awarded yet.

I come up with your idea also..

S T E P looks like it will take most of the year.. Depends where I am in line on first come first served.. So0me of those 10 00 will come back to S T E P if they end up with two tickets..
unjonharley

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm

JayBobBoy wrote:I am guilty. I am going to do whatever I can to get tickets. If that means using all the entries at my disposal then so be it. Sorry if that makes you angry. I'm only going to buy the tickets I need.

Just a reminder: STEP tickets are non-transferable. If your proxy accounts didn't have your name, you won't be able to use them.

You might want to be careful on how you try to game STEP...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby 7chix&me » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:58 pm

It really doesn't make any sense to use multiple entries to "game the system" with STEP. Only the first one you register will do you any good anyway. Once you buy your tickets your other "proxy" entries will just be sitting there jamming up the system making the next guy (and everyone else in the queue behind him) wait for three days or until you turn them down. Right?
7chix&me

Postby Mosquitopilate » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:07 pm

STEP - You are my only HOPE )'(
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby BBadger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:03 pm

"I'm sorry sir, but the name on the ticket is 'Hugh Jazz' and your ID clearly shows your name is 'Jay Boy'. We can't give you the ticket. Pack your shit and head back to Reno."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Isn't STEP 1c1s? That means there's no point to registering twice. The first one you register should get you one (or two) making the 2nd pointless.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Isn't STEP 1c1s? That means there's no point to registering twice. The first one you register should get you one (or two) making the 2nd pointless.

And we have a winner!

Mosquitopilate wrote:STEP - You are my only HOPE )'(

Calm, Grasshopper. STEP is not your only hope- there will be more tickets available starting in July as peoples plans change (and the physical tickets are out). It won't be as great a number as in the past, but they will be there. Keep preparing, be ready to go on short notice.

Make sure you're taking time to breathe.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Mosquitopilate » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:02 pm

I have no choice. :D I am going
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:18 am

@RACESV - no, but it's still a one or the other thing. Register for STEP and then are able to get a ticket through Directed Ticket Distribution? Your STEP registration is canceled. Get a ticket in STEP and you'll be unable to purchase a ticket through another means.

@Bbadger - not just turning the individual away, but the entire vehicle gets turned around back to Reno.

@7chix&me - multiple registrations (using different names/addresses) in the main sale does you no good whatsoever with STEP. Only register using the one that matches your legal name, because you can't change it and you won't be able to pick up STEP tickets under another person's name at the box office (even if you have a signed letter with copy of license and form of payment). A STEP ticket is not a regular will call ticket.

@theCryptofishist - not everybody who registered for the main sale will want or need to register for STEP. Some were able to secure tickets from friends. Others have benefitted from the Directed Ticket thing. Some registrations were scalpers/hoarders/speculators who had no intention of going to Burning Man. And some just had a change of heart.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby remi » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:03 am

trilobyte wrote:Will scalpers and hoarders register to get tickets in STEP? Maybe, it depends on if they personally want to go. The name used for registration back in January can not be changed, and is the non-transferable name that will be on the order waiting for them at the will call window.

Was unaware of this. Should prevent a most scalping. If someone gets awarded 2 tickets through step, they still have 1 non-transferable ticket to attach to a name (the other one will automatically be attached to there name.) I think BMOrg are making enough hoops for scalpers to jump through that it may deter a large number of them.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby trilobyte » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:08 am

I don't see many scalpers camping with their customers, or making the trip to Burning Man solely for the purpose of trying to get a single they then try to scalp somewhere between BRC and Reno (assuming, of course, that you don't have to enter a name for ticket number 2 at the point of purchase… we'll see).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby JayBobBoy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:14 am

Your post helped to clarify things for me Trilo, Thanks.

My Brother and I, who submitted original bids will reenter via STEP. Our other entry is waffling, but I think will try to enter too. I convinced him that if he somehow gets tickets it would be serendipity....

I hope I'm not the only one that realizes that the e-mails will not all arrive in in-boxes at the same time...If for some reason your e-mail arrives to you later than others you will most likely be too late...

If I can somehow coordinate with my brother on this, I'll try to keep it to one entry only. I'm not trying to game the system. Just working within the parameter that have been set and trying to make the best of a shitty situation.
JayBobBoy

Postby JJ-Hemisphere » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:51 pm

I have a question:

How did these guys get all these tickets to scalp: [link removed and reported to BMorg; don't link to scalpers. Thanks! ~Sav]

AAAAND...

Will Chase said in the STEP email today: "It is up to you, the WANT-lister to check back via your URL as you see fit."

WHAT URL? I didn't get one. Did anyone else?
JJ-Hemisphere

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:02 pm

new Ticket Stupidness of the day, there is a ticket listed on StubHub for $100,000 i shit you not, its actually listed!

wait this might actually be a deal, cause the shipping is only $12...

thats less than BM charged me!
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:09 pm

If I'm paying a hundred thousand dollars, I expect it to be delivered to my house by a particularly gorgeous sparklepony.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Psycho » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:10 pm

remi wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Will scalpers and hoarders register to get tickets in STEP? Maybe, it depends on if they personally want to go. The name used for registration back in January can not be changed, and is the non-transferable name that will be on the order waiting for them at the will call window.

Was unaware of this. Should prevent a most scalping. If someone gets awarded 2 tickets through step, they still have 1 non-transferable ticket to attach to a name (the other one will automatically be attached to there name.) I think BMOrg are making enough hoops for scalpers to jump through that it may deter a large number of them.

From what the announcement said about the people getting 2 tickets- the original name you registered with is on BOTH tickets. The person buying them has to be present to get them BOTH. If the recipient of the 2nd ticket isn't physically with you, you can then leave it with Will Call under that persons name to pick it up. But the purchaser has to be there first to actually claim them. If that person isn't actually going, no one gets the tickets. If the person you bought ticket #2 for gets there first, they have to wait for you to get there to get in... I'm not sure if there's a 'waiting area' around Will Call (and how big it is), you might just be turned away and told to get back in line after the purchaser has come through...
Psycho

Postby JJ-Hemisphere » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks Sav, I'm glad you reported the link. I personally would love to know who has all those tickets and how they got them.

Anyway, the second part of my question was, if I haven't got an email with a link to register for STEP. Even though I'm on the email list, and registered for regular sale. Does that mean I got denied again? Between the pre-sale lottery, and the regular sale lottery, and the post sale STEP lottery, i've been denied hard by BMan THREE TIMES! Damn that man doesn't like me or what?

Some friends and I bought a massive school bus a few years back, turned it into a deep playa people moving machine of an art car, and now it sits in Gerlach. We all got denied. What to do? Keep hoping and work on the car anyway? I don't know if I can. I'm so deflated by all of this. It's sad.
JJ-Hemisphere

Postby Psycho » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:40 pm

JJ-Hemisphere wrote:Thanks Sav, I'm glad you reported the link. I personally would love to know who has all those tickets and how they got them.

Anyway, the second part of my question was, if I haven't got an email with a link to register for STEP. Even though I'm on the email list, and registered for regular sale. Does that mean I got denied again? Between the pre-sale lottery, and the regular sale lottery, and the post sale STEP lottery, i've been denied hard by BMan THREE TIMES! Damn that man doesn't like me or what?

Some friends and I bought a massive school bus a few years back, turned it into a deep playa people moving machine of an art car, and now it sits in Gerlach. We all got denied. What to do? Keep hoping and work on the car anyway? I don't know if I can. I'm so deflated by all of this. It's sad.

If you registered for the regular lottery and didn't 'win' (and registered with an Email address you regularly check), you should have gotten an Email with a link for STEP earlier this week. If you didn't, go here:
http://tickets2.burningman.com/contact.php
Select the link about not receiving your STEP notification Email and see what they say... You'll have to wait for STEP to re-open to use the link when you get one (which won't be announced, you just have to keep checking), but I suppose it's better than nothing...
Psycho

Postby JJ-Hemisphere » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks Psycho, after I wrote that I kept looking and finally found the email. It came from orders@burningman.com, so I had missed it when I searched.
JJ-Hemisphere

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion