Box Truck Rentals, Need to Hurry?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Box Truck Rentals, Need to Hurry?

Postby paulo999 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:01 pm

So, here's where I'm at. I'm a burgin - flying in from London. A few months back, before I'd got a ticket, my friends were already looking at me slightly alarmed "oh oh... if you want an RV... you need to do it now". I hadn't even applied for a ticket, so of course, I hesitated.

And of course they were right. Looks like RVs have dried up. Even SoCal is crazy money now (although I hear there's still deals to be had in Hawaii).

And I'm not sure British Airways will be too good about me bringing a Hexayurt and home made swamp cooler.

But, ePlaya provides! Box Trucks FTW! I'm now really liking this idea. Sling aload of cheap stuff in the back. Sofa. Hammock or mattress. Maybe even an off the shelf swamp cooler.

So, questions: Do these run out, rapidly? Any suggestions for renting from SF? Are Budget there as friendly as Reno? Any tips?

(I'm loving all of you already by the way. Six months out, and I'm *this* excited.)
paulo999

Re: Box Truck Rentals, Need to Hurry?

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah, vehicle rentals do run out. Depends on the city and the kind of vehicle, but you should be booking those reservations as soon as possible.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby tamarakay » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:55 pm

People in my camp said reservations just opened for the box trucks, you can only reserve six months in advance. However they had a count down etc going on so you might want to hurry and get one soon.
Both of my campmates are flying into Reno. I don't know about which would be better as far as Reno vs. SF. Might be more opportunities for cheap furniture etc in san fran though. The materials to make Figjam's cheap, easy swamp cooler can all be found at a big box store so you could still do that too, just make sure to bookmark/print out all the instructions.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby paulo999 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Well, I've booked it. 16' Box truck from Budget at Millbrae - so fly in, overnight at an airport hotel, then taxi to the rental company.

It was about $22 per day, and $0.71 per mile. Somewhat cheaper than an RV, and muuch less of a worry about losing the deposit, I figure. :)

My brother has a house in Livermore, so that's going to be the staging post. Not sure if he'll get a ticket yet, but seems up for helping regardless, e.g. bikes etc from craigslist. Maybe I'll persuade him to help out with the swamp cooler too. :)

Pick up dry ice and perishables in Reno, overnight there (quite how I'll get to sleep with the excitement I don't know), then up early to go and find the back of the line.

The plan is beginning to take shape. 8)
paulo999

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Pro tip: Reserve the truck as a business, not a personal rental. You don't need to even have a business.. they don't care. It comes out to $37/day but $0.20/mile.

Yes, rent your truck now. Only Budget. Only Gentry Way. You only have to put $1 on your credit card to reserve.. you pay when you pick it up.

You heard it here. Get on it.

:wink:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby paulo999 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:46 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Pro tip: Reserve the truck as a business, not a personal rental. You don't need to even have a business.. they don't care. It comes out to $37/day but $0.20/mile.

Yes, rent your truck now. Only Budget. Only Gentry Way. You only have to put $1 on your credit card to reserve.. you pay when you pick it up.

You heard it here. Get on it.

:wink:

Aha... thanks junglesmacks... Good tip on the business thing. I've just checked and it saves me about $200 overall 8)

(I'm flying into SFO and have to go via Livermore, so I'll still rent from Milbrae)
paulo999

Return to Shelter & Camping