Kitchen Basics

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: Kitchen Basics

Postby Nipple » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wh..sh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:45 pm

LOL! I love that show!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 pm

It's a good one. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:42 am

Savannah wrote:My kitchen is a Rubbermaid container with paper dishes, plastic utensils, canned ravioli and chili, vacuum-sealed salmon, Indian food, and rice, chillable fruit cups, dried fruit, bread, tortillas, cookies, crackers, Luna bars, sardines, kippers, jerky, cereal, H. Farms shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, jam, honey, picked vegetables (at least three kinds), juice boxes, soda, booze, spices, and vitamins. I heat nothing! :lol:

Savannah, you are cordially invited and expected for dinner one night!

But, this is a super easy way to do it! Especially if camp cooking is new to you.
Thats pretty much how we did it our first year. But with a lot of stuff that only requires boiling water ie: cup'o'noodles, Mountain House dehydrated meals, etc.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:21 am

illy dilly wrote:
Savannah wrote:My kitchen is a Rubbermaid container with paper dishes, plastic utensils, canned ravioli and chili, vacuum-sealed salmon, Indian food, and rice, chillable fruit cups, dried fruit, bread, tortillas, cookies, crackers, Luna bars, sardines, kippers, jerky, cereal, H. Farms shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, jam, honey, picked vegetables (at least three kinds), juice boxes, soda, booze, spices, and vitamins. I heat nothing! :lol:

Savannah, you are cordially invited and expected for dinner one night!

But, this is a super easy way to do it! Especially if camp cooking is new to you.
Thats pretty much how we did it our first year. But with a lot of stuff that only requires boiling water ie: cup'o'noodles, Mountain House dehydrated meals, etc.

I hope you invite me for the stunning pleasure of my company, rather than misplaced pity. :D I I enjoy my little sandwiches and wraps and Indian food. I brought Lobster paté, but the time never seemed right. I do not eat Cup O' Noodles; they lack protein. (No offense to Mr. Noodles, or his illustrious family.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby Sail Man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:23 pm

this is all I need to eat in style :wink:

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby illy dilly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Of course the invite is out of love for your company!
and maybe a little pity, but just a little :wink:

I agree, Cup'o'noodles don't really provide any sort of nutritional value. Except maybe sodium... and lots of it. But they are tasty, easy to make, and very soothing to a lost voice and sore throat.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Mojojita » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Someone needs to take the alcohol away from Sailman - he wants to eat Julia Child....(Yikes!!!!)
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby ellenoche » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:13 am

my water system:
1. gallon water for drinking only (and showering) - think 1 gallon per person per day
2. once that is empty, poor hand/dish washing water and dirty water into it to carry home. Label that dirty water!!! cover any punctures with duct tape. (We build an evaporation pond so we just strain our dirty water into the evap pond)
3. all ice that goes into the cooler are stored into gallon size zip lock bags. (this way, the ice melts into the zip lock bag and is clean. melted ice can be used for drinking, or poured into emptied gallon bottles and labeled hand washing!!!)

my kitchen collection:
burner stove. one pot. one pan. one spatula. one ladle. can opener. plastic plates and bowls (that are easily wipeable). paper plates for messy foods. plastic forks and spoons. soap and scrubber. mesh bag or strainer for composting. paper box for burnables. trash bags (make sure you secure your trash (bag) so it doesn't fly). plenty of zip lock bags of all sizes (they always come in handy). paper towels. bucket for dish/hand washing (i agree with the lid thing). one cooler for frozen meat and extra ice, another cooler for non frozen food (make sure to line the coolers with foil). a paper bag to place the bread and tortilla in (prevent them from drying out). Table with a sheet over it, the coolers go under the table and stay in the shade. a box to place clean utensils/plates/pots/pans to prevent re-caking of dust.

my menu:
quesadillas (easy to make and can be creative by adding bacon bits, ham/turkey, chicken etc). sandwiches and hot dogs. eggs. canned foods and cup noodles for late night snacking before going to bed. gatorade. cooked chicken. spaghetti (I like to cool left over spaghetti in snack sized zip lock bags to tote around in my back pack for a deep playa snack). Cliff bars.

I've used the same checklist for the past 5 years, and it hasn't failed me yet.
Little Ray of Sunshine
ellenoche

Postby Playa+Tom » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Although I come to the playa with lots of good food and the intention to eat well I usually revert to the College Student Diet.
Peanut butter and jelly, jerkey, ramen, quesedillas, cold cereal and canned food. I bought a propane stove/oven at Costco a couple years ago, one day I made chocolate chip cookies for those camped near me.
Playa+Tom

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 am

Ego-Boosting bump.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Ratty » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 am

I'm bringing a table to cook on, (instead of cooking in the back of my van). I picked up a free shower chair. They weigh nothing. The legs adjust to almost table height and it doubles as seating. Oh, and it comes completely unscrewed for transport. They are everywhere for a buck or two.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 am

James Shearhart wrote something called Playa Cookery that contains everything you EVER wanted to know about food on the playa. it's the definitive guide to cooking at BRC and can be downloaded for free here:

http://www.box.net/shared/fvj9aka4m4

cheers!
Homiesinheaven

Postby seantildawn » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:17 am

I find that heating up food in a microwave gives me the most choices. Frozen pizzas early in week. Indian food and rice later in week. Hot food anytime. Just a pull on the gennie away. I always bring the Coleman multi-Fuel for back up. Needed it all week in 2009.
seantildawn

Burning Since: 1998

Refrigerated Truck?

Postby kelsey1ale » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Does anyone know if there will be a refrigerated truck this year? I heard that last year a truck was brought in and you could rent a flat amount of space to keep your food on it for the week. Looking at this option for an entire camp, not just a couple people. Any feedback is appreciated :)
kelsey1ale

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Mystic

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:57 pm

While some camps made their own arrangements, that's a logistical thing they worked out on their own. There was no public refrigeration service offered.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby mytripod » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:02 am

Some people near me apparently forgot to bring a strainer for their dishwater. Their evap pond was full of rice. It was kind of gross.
mytripod

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Paul Revere's Party

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 am

mytripod wrote:Some people near me apparently forgot to bring a strainer for their dishwater. Their evap pond was full of rice. It was kind of gross.

stir fry........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Nipple » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:32 am

My first year someone poured tomato soup into our pond.

Looked like a zombie feeder.
Nipple

Postby tatonka » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 am

will bring a micro wave for heating stuff up , dont want to turn oven on in camper. Still have to get a gen that will pwr one. Also bring a small BBQ for grilling ,would like to have room for one of these tho :) Image
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:22 am

I bring a regular, full-size home propane BBQ grille - on the playa it's very awesome, and they don't weigh that much. Are you gonna have a trailer behind that Ford/camper? I used to drive a similar Ford/camper to BM and pull a trailer made from a Mazda pickup back-half, it rocked! Otherwise the camper takes up all your hauling space for ultra-cool, absolutely necessary gear like a real grille!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby tatonka » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:54 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I bring a regular, full-size home propane BBQ grille - on the playa it's very awesome, and they don't weigh that much. Are you gonna have a trailer behind that Ford/camper? I used to drive a similar Ford/camper to BM and pull a trailer made from a Mazda pickup back-half, it rocked! Otherwise the camper takes up all your hauling space for ultra-cool, absolutely necessary gear like a real grille!

Will purchase camper within next mth and see how much fits :) alot of testing still .
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Previous

Return to Food & Drink