Cancelled Open Ticket Sale.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Cancelled Open Ticket Sale.

Postby remi » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:20 am

trilobyte wrote:@remi - scarcity's a bitch, I'm afraid. Hopefully your friends are able to find tickets in the after-market.

Stupid Scarcity. If ever I meet him/her I will punch him/her right in his/her face!

Can't feel too bad for them. I told them they should save for the presale, and I reminded them a couple times about the lotto registration cut off (if you looked on FB, they were the dumbass procrastinators that asked where the registration link was monday morning.. a couple hours late.)

Oh well.
Lets talley up the scores
BMOrg: 1
Procrastinators: 0
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 am

more like this:

Lets talley up the scores
BMOrg: 0
Burners: 0

this is lose lose lose all around, even those with tickets.. nobody wins a point here,

the LLC doesnt win a point because they have a lot of unhappy people and.. nothing.. NOTHING.. NOTHING they do will fix it this year.. they cant make everyone happy.. and they really wanted to

burners lose out because well.. you know why, even those with tickets are struggling this year.. and the community is struggling as well
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:35 am

If it's true that a whole bunch of tickets will free up in the summer when people realize they can't go for one reason or another, then maybe STEP orders will be filled and the program will be able to expand beyond the people who were in the lottery.

It's also true that I feel like an idiot for even considering this...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby VampireKitten » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Man... BMORG really should have anticipated the Lottery problems and planned for everything. I feel like this was all blindly done.

So the end of last week I had discussed this with my boyfriend and told him that we should probably just hold off until next year (it's not gonna kill me to add another year to the 7 year wait) unless BM doesn't happen next year (which at the rate of events and disorganization is , God forbid, entirely possible). While it sucks and is really heartbreaking, I felt like a giant ball of stress was lifted and I started to focus on other things.

This morning my boyfriend received his STEP registration and sent it to me, he was still pushing it so just maybe there is hope.

Lesson here: I (and probably a LOT of you) need to stop stressing so much. I'm not worried, who knows in the end a ton of people probably aren't going to end up going. It's a giant stressful waiting game. I do feel bad for the people who didn't get into the lottery though, that is really messed up :-/ I didn't think about those people till you guys mentioned them. I really hope they can find some tickets through burners, I don't know any myself either.
VampireKitten

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Man... BMORG really should have anticipated the Lottery problems and planned for everything.

And whatsis really should have not fumbled and dropped the ball in that Giants 49ers semi-final game. Why oh why don't people in the past not do what I think they should have?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby VampireKitten » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:45 pm

It's fairly obvious BMORG freaked out a tad bit early with their first ever sold out BM...

The lottery only seemed to make the demand for tickets a bigger deal than it should have AND they should have anticipated EVERYTHING by implementing it. They should have asked the questions, "WHat if we get way more sign-up''s than anticipated", "What if theme camps don't get their tickets (how can we be sure using this process)", etc. This is a gradual process that should have happened over the course of a few years to prevent the giant clusterfuck that is this year, not implemented instantly because they got scared. I've never been and could have told them that.

In then end, a lot of people got screwed and I really think they jumped the gun on this whole thing.
VampireKitten

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Rice » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:06 pm

VampireKitten wrote:It's fairly obvious BMORG freaked out a tad bit early with their first ever sold out BM...

The lottery only seemed to make the demand for tickets a bigger deal than it should have AND they should have anticipated EVERYTHING by implementing it. They should have asked the questions, "WHat if we get way more sign-up''s than anticipated", "What if theme camps don't get their tickets (how can we be sure using this process)", etc. This is a gradual process that should have happened over the course of a few years to prevent the giant clusterfuck that is this year, not implemented instantly because they got scared. I've never been and could have told them that.

In then end, a lot of people got screwed and I really think they jumped the gun on this whole thing.

I am a fairly positive person, for a living I try and figure out what will fail. Since last year's sellout of tickets I expected the ticket sales this year to be interesting. I did not anticipate quite so many tickets being requested.

It is unfortunate that there is no good, fair, inclusive way to dish out a limited amount of tickets. Burning Man LLC tried to address the scarcity issue and it didn't work as planned. Sure, they should have anticipated some problems with it. Technically, the system worked exactly as planned. Unfortunately the human element fucked it for dinner.

Now, here we are - picking up the pieces.

No one can anticipate everything. No system is perfect. Hopefully the Burning Man LLC have learned from this experience and the 2013 ticket offering will not be nearly so stressful.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:40 pm

VampireKitten wrote:The lottery only seemed to make the demand for tickets a bigger deal than it should have AND they should have anticipated EVERYTHING by implementing it. They should have asked the questions, "WHat if we get way more sign-up''s than anticipated", "What if theme camps don't get their tickets (how can we be sure using this process)", etc. This is a gradual process that should have happened over the course of a few years to prevent the giant clusterfuck that is this year, not implemented instantly because they got scared. I've never been and could have told them that.

Anticipating everything doesn't get you very far. It's knowing the probabilities of events occurring is what is truly important. Just as how you can see all the numbers on the Roulette wheel, knowing where that ball will land is where the money actually is.

As we cannot compare two identical situations and how different plans of actions affected them, it is really hard to evaluate whether BMOrg made the right decision or not, or if they overcompensated for what was a minimal threat. All that was known at the time these plans were put into place was that scalpers were identified as the existential threat to the event. As such, the lottery and all ticket systems this year are designed to combat. BMOrg brought out the big guns this year as a grand first showing, and unfortunately there has been some collateral damage.

Scalpers are a cancer. You can't simply sit back and "gradually" fight cancer, lest it spread faster than you can contain it. Think of the lottery and all this as the chemotherapy to kill the malignant cancer of scalpers. Chemo is not pleasant, and sometimes the chemotherapy even kills the patient, or at least ruins a lot of the happiness while it is in force. However, it is still a solution, and until a better solution is found and tested, it's what we have for now.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:55 pm

As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know.

We also know there are known unknowns.

That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

this type of thinking comes about often in space travel, aerospace.. military... safety junk, etc..

you can only anticipate so much stuff.
lemur

Postby C187 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm

trilobyte wrote:The answer is that people who did not register for the lottery are not eligible to participate in STEP. Their only option would be the after-market, either connecting with friends/campmates who may have unneeded tickets, or looking for ticket offers once fulfillment happens in June.

And that's the clutch of the issue. STEP was intended to be a far and safe method to move tickets around, decreasing the number of tickets in the second hand market. Now, I'm not suggesting that enough tickets would be offered in STEP, let's not be silly. But not allowing people who were planing on buying a ticket in the open sale to participate in STEP will likely inflate the prices in the after-market even more. Since an individuals only option may be the after-market. After all, not everyone lives in an area with a burner community, or is part of a camp comprised of near by members (let alone in a camp at all).
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:36 pm

lemur wrote:
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know.

We also know there are known unknowns.

That is to say, we know there are some things we do not know.

But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

this type of thinking comes about often in space travel, aerospace.. military... safety junk, etc..

you can only anticipate so much stuff.

So, do you think Rumsfeld is more offended to be conflated with the LLC, or the LLC to be conflated with Rumsfeld?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm

while i may have quoted rumsfeld .. that is hardly his idea!
lemur

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:40 pm

A Persian-Tajik thirteenth-century poet Ibn Yamin (Ibn Yamin Faryumadi)(ابن یمین فریومدی), born 1286 in Faryumad near Sabzevar and died 1368, says there are four types of men[11][12]:

* One who knows and knows that he knows... His horse of wisdom will reach the skies.
* One who knows, but doesn't know that he knows... He is fast asleep, so you should wake him up!
* One who doesn't know, but knows that he doesn't know... His limping mule will eventually get him home.
* One who doesn't know and doesn't know that he doesn't know... He will be eternally lost in his hopeless oblivion!

wikipedia to the rescue!!!

(and i dont think rumsfeld or the LLC would care much ;-)
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Damn you, Lemur! I was hoping that it would produce one of those matter/anti-matter collisions that I keep hearing about...

Now, not only don't I have my matter/anti-matter collision, I also have to worry about the proper punctuation of "matter/anti-matter" which is stressful...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Damn you, Lemur! I was hoping that it would produce one of those matter/anti-matter collisions that I keep hearing about...

Now, not only don't I have my matter/anti-matter collision, I also have to worry about the proper punctuation of "matter/anti-matter" which is stressful...

these guys seem to think 'antimatter' is O-K! theyd know!!

Antimatter containment is the process whereby antimatter and matter are kept separated by the use of magnetic fields to prevent the oppositely charged particles from colliding, which would result in the mutual destruction of the matter and antimatter, along with a violent and explosive release of energy.

Antimatter containment is a key function of a starship warp core which uses both antimatter and matter, released in controlled and balanced amounts, to provide energy which powers the ship's warp drive.

Galaxy-class starships in the 24th century had a system of seven independent computer safety locks to prevent antimatter containment from being breached (TNG: "Contagion"), assuming that there was no damage to the warp core components.

If the antimatter containment field strength drops below 15% on a Galaxy-class starship the field will collapse, destroying the ship. (TNG: "Disaster")

In 2366 the non-corporeal Koinonians drained antimatter from the antimatter pods to use it as energy to create their replica of Marla Aster. This was stopped by increasing the shield harmonics to match the antimatter containment effectively severing the Koinonian beam. (TNG: "The Bonding")

After Wesley Crusher experimented with a static warp bubble in main engineering in early 2367 and a flash of light was registered, Geordi La Forge ran a level-2 diagnostic of the antimatter containment and warp drive to make sure that none of the systems were affected by the experiment. (TNG: "Remember Me")

(omg i like star trek too much)
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Hm. Maybe I should check with my ex-general relativity father or my astronomer nephew.

But, Star Trek is what I was think ing when I made that post...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion