Map showing Theme Camps?

Map showing Theme Camps?

Postby paulo999 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:23 pm

My googling and searching here is drawing a blank.

Is there anywhere a BRC map showing the theme camps from 2011? (or 2010 or 2009 or anything really)

I love maps, and now it's looking like this will be my first burn, I'm immersing myself in all things playa. :)
paulo999

Re: Map showing Theme Camps?

Postby Trishntek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:39 pm

The best publication depicting that which you seek is the booklet given to everyone entering BRC at the gate. It is called the "What, Where, When" and contains the city map and a list of registered camps and their addresses.

The Master Map used by the Placement Team has corresponding lot numbers linked to registered camps. Not all camps are registered, not all events are listed, time is relative on the playa. So the What, Where, When is the best source, but by no means a comprehensive source.
Retrofrolic2011SatPic.jpg
Here is a Satellite image of our neighborhood.
Retrofrolic2011SatPic.jpg (81.36 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Trishntek wrote:The best publication depicting that which you seek is the booklet given to everyone entering BRC at the gate. It is called the "What, Where, When" and contains the city map and a list of registered camps and their addresses.

The Master Map used by the Placement Team has corresponding lot numbers linked to registered camps. Not all camps are registered, not all events are listed, time is relative on the playa. So the What, Where, When is the best source, but by no means a comprehensive source.
Retrofrolic2011SatPic.jpg

unless yer a volunteer who signed up for a shift!!!

darnit!!

theres no such thing as playa time for those people ;-P

*shakes his fist!!*
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:42 pm

Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Since you googled me up - try my strategy.

As we get close to the burn, spend hours on Eplaya making notes about all the Eplayans' camps you want to visit. Since the layout is the same year to year all you need are the radial and the letter street.

Compile it into an organized list complete with routes that will allow to to vist many of them without backtracking too much.

Accidentally leave the list in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Then try to remember some of it when you hit the playa. It probably won't make much difference either way once you are on playa time anyway.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby paulo999 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:24 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:check this map out.

http://burningblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp- ... Y-NINE.gif

That's such a tease... lovely map, and clearly has the detail in the original. :(
paulo999

Postby paulo999 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Since you googled me up - try my strategy.

As we get close to the burn, spend hours on Eplaya making notes about all the Eplayans' camps you want to visit. Since the layout is the same year to year all you need are the radial and the letter street.

Compile it into an organized list complete with routes that will allow to to vist many of them without backtracking too much.

Then try to remember some of it when you hit the playa. It probably won't make much difference either way once you are on playa time anyway.

Be careful suggesting things like that. With me they have a habit of turning into a "project that gets out of control".

Here's an event map I've ended up maintaining... oh man have I made a rod for my own back... :roll: :D

http://www.glastoearth.com/
paulo999

Postby tamarakay » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Drawingablank, I left my notes about all the eplayans on the dinging table at home. I was so sad.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Sorry paulo.

I thought it might be a good map because placed camps are marked on the map. It can give an idea of how theme camps are dispersed throughout the city. There is a better one out there that even includes the satellite picture of the city so that you can see all the structures and people as ants.

paulo999 wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:check this map out.

http://burningblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp- ... Y-NINE.gif

That's such a tease... lovely map, and clearly has the detail in the original. :(

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby Trishntek » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:36 pm

tamarakay wrote:Drawingablank, I left my notes about all the eplayans on the dinging table at home. I was so sad.

You have a dinging table too? I thought I was the only one around with one of those and now I find out the Groper in Chief had one all along! I knew that "look" as soon as we met!

I just didn't put it together 'til now,,,,
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm

paulo999 wrote:

Be careful suggesting things like that. With me they have a habit of turning into a "project that gets out of control".

Here's an event map I've ended up maintaining... oh man have I made a rod for my own back... :roll: :D

LOL, well the key to my strategy is step 3 - leaving it at least 800 hundred miles away. It will make your burn much better if you spend more time in the moment and less time worrying about maps. At least in my opinion, your mileage may vary though.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby paulo999 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
paulo999 wrote:

LOL, well the key to my strategy is step 3 - leaving it at least 800 hundred miles away. It will make your burn much better if you spend more time in the moment and less time worrying about maps. At least in my opinion, your mileage may vary though.

With you on that. It's more just a bit of ritual, in advance.

With Glastonbury, I'll spend a hours poring over the schedule of stages, carefully working out what I'd want to see. Using different coloured highlighter pens, showing prioritisations over clashes, etc etc.

Which never gets looked at, all hell breaks loose, and then two weeks later I wake up in a field trying to work out what happened. I think something along those lines will serve me well in the desert, too. :D
paulo999

Postby paulo999 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:Sorry paulo.
I thought it might be a good map because placed camps are marked on the map. It can give an idea of how theme camps are dispersed throughout the city. There is a better one out there that even includes the satellite picture of the city so that you can see all the structures and people as ants.

Still useful. I'd already worked out where Root Society used to be, and I can make out a few things there, like Hushville. I just need to practice my squinting a bit more. :)
paulo999

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

paulo999 wrote:

Still useful. I'd already worked out where Root Society used to be, and I can make out a few things there, like Hushville. I just need to practice my squinting a bit more. :)

Sweet! You've seen this one I imagine but I'm going to link it anyway. http://www.burningman.com/preparation/maps/11_maps/

The what, where, when, comes out online before the event and many camps on this board "advertise" their happenings. Event time and place collection starts now!!!!!

motskyroonmatick

Postby paulo999 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:17 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:
paulo999 wrote:

Sweet! You've seen this one I imagine but I'm going to link it anyway. http://www.burningman.com/preparation/maps/11_maps/

The what, where, when, comes out online before the event and many camps on this board "advertise" their happenings. Event time and place collection starts now!!!!!

Ah ok, I get the vibe... cool, I'll keep an eye out for announcements. :)
paulo999

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:29 pm

You can count me among the people who leaves her notes at home. Not on the dinging table, just in several random places that I don't remember until I find them two years later...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mrchiff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:47 am

Trishntek wrote:The best publication depicting that which you seek is the booklet given to everyone entering BRC at the gate. It is called the "What, Where, When" and contains the city map and a list of registered camps and their addresses.

Actually, I think the WWW is handed out a greeters, not the gate.
mrchiff

Postby Mojojita » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Sorry, double post
Last edited by Mojojita on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Mojojita » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Mojojita wrote:
mrchiff wrote:

Actually, I think the WWW is handed out a greeters, not the gate.

Correct. At Greeters you will get a WWW book with a large map folded inside - a sticker is usually also inside the book.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby Token » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 pm

paulo999 wrote:My googling and searching here is drawing a blank.

Is there anywhere a BRC map showing the theme camps from 2011? (or 2010 or 2009 or anything really)

I love maps, and now it's looking like this will be my first burn, I'm immersing myself in all things playa. :)

Lisa Hoffman has created the official BM Maps for years:

http://www.studioninedesign.com/maps/maps.html

Want GPS maps & Waypoints:

http://www.wkeller.net/BRC-GPS/

And there's an app for that:

http://itunes.apple.com/om/app/iburn-20 ... 69740?mt=8

Your Google-Fu is weak pilgrim.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby paulo999 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:02 pm

My Google Fu is indeed weak, it seems!

Thanks for those. Especially the Lisa Hoffman ones - great to see the detail of Center Camp, and being a Londoner, of course I feel very at home with the 2010 version. :)
paulo999

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu May 03, 2012 9:03 am

There is always the Facebook mapping page - http://burnermap.com/welcome.php
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Return to 2011 Theme Camps