On the way, from the UK

On the way, from the UK

Postby paulo999 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:31 pm

Hello folks.

I'd been planning to come this year ever since it was confirmed that my usual big event was taking this year off. I usually do four or five festivals per season, and this year I am spreading my wings outside the UK at last. Friends of mine have already been to Burning Man a few times now, and all of them - without exception - recommended I sell whatever relatives I need to, to make it. It's a bit bizarre though to find out it's not just a money thing... that I've been very lucky, with the ticket situation this year.

I'll be bringing my camera - it's what I do at events. And, if my festival friends get to bring their rig over, I'll be offering to help build / or make the coffee or something.

Here's some of my photos... see you in the desert. :)

paulo999

Re: On the way, from the UK

Postby tamarakay » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Hello! Beautiful work. Congrats on the tickets. Read the survival guide, then read it again. If you have any questions please just holler!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby paulo999 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 pm

tamarakay wrote:Hello! Beautiful work. Congrats on the tickets. Read the survival guide, then read it again. If you have any questions please just holler!

Thanks for the welcome :D It feels like I've been reading the guide every year for five years... but finally, this time, it's got to sink in properly, so rest assured it will get read again several more times. :)
paulo999

Postby jkisha » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi paulo999!

I like the picture of the folks in the field best. They look like revolutionaries, only happier. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby gyre » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:47 am

Looks like ataraxia.

Nothing to worry about though.
gyre

Postby graidawg » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:43 am

hey paul, im trying to work out where those pics were taken, much better scenes than the festivals ive been to (or perhaps i just dont remember)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby paulo999 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 am

Savannah wrote:Hi paulo999!

I like the picture of the folks in the field best. They look like revolutionaries, only happier. :)

Revolutionaries - nice interpretation 8)

It's a big field at Glastonbury commonly referred to as 'the Stone Circle'. For several decades it was the highest point on the site, so it's the traditional place to come between dusk and dawn to get views over the lit up festival.
paulo999

Postby paulo999 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:04 am

graidawg wrote:hey paul, im trying to work out where those pics were taken, much better scenes than the festivals ive been to (or perhaps i just dont remember)

1 - Glastonbury 2010, Arcadia Spider
2 - Bestival 2011, The Lords of Lightning, Arcadia Field
3 - Glastonbury 2009, The Stone Circle
4 - Bestival 2010, DJ Booth @ The Arcadia Spider
5 - Glastonbury 2011, Arcadia Spider

Hopefully Arcadia will get to bring some of their toys to Burning Man this year, but I've not heard confirmation yet.
paulo999

Postby paulo999 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:09 am

jkisha wrote:Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Thanks!
paulo999

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Savannah wrote:I like the picture of the folks in the field best. They look like revolutionaries, only happier. :)

The light is amazing. Rembrant painted it, I think...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ninzy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Welcome Paulo and wow awesome pics

the Arcadia spider is coming to Boom Town Fair this year!

if u need any help gimme a shout - will also be heading out this year!
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Postby Cheyenne » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm

Hey... welcome to the Board...

those pics are pretty awesome...

Will you come to Beatherder in Lancashire this year then? You're photography would be most welcome.. .we are hosting the 'snug'... a space decked out like the ya grans living room :)

My bloke and I will be at BM again in 2012, our camp is uncertain yet, but we too are willing to help out with whatever is needed :)

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby paulo999 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Ninzy wrote:Welcome Paulo and wow awesome pics

the Arcadia spider is coming to Boom Town Fair this year!

if u need any help gimme a shout - will also be heading out this year!

Indeed it is. It'll only be the fourth outing for the Spider... two Glastonbury's and just one Bestival. So quite a big thing to see it coming to Boomtown. That festival seems to up it's game massively every year. 8)

Thanks for the help offer... I may well come back to you!
paulo999

Postby paulo999 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Cheyenne wrote:Hey... welcome to the Board...

those pics are pretty awesome...

Will you come to Beatherder in Lancashire this year then? You're photography would be most welcome.. .we are hosting the 'snug'... a space decked out like the ya grans living room :)

My bloke and I will be at BM again in 2012, our camp is uncertain yet, but we too are willing to help out with whatever is needed :)

Aha... Beatherder. I've got friends that go. With my very lovely, but slow and petrol-guzzling campervan, it could be a bit of a mission from SOuth London! But you never know. If I've got time on my hands, I might pop up. :)

And thanks too for the offer of help. 8)
paulo999

Postby deanoburn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:19 am

G'day paulo999. You have some great exposure and composition there. Welcome aboard - I'm a newb!
Have you looked into the Beacon? http://www.blackrockbeacon.org/volunteer.htm
deanoburn

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Blackrock Beacon

Postby paulo999 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 pm

deanoburn wrote:G'day paulo999. You have some great exposure and composition there. Welcome aboard - I'm a newb!
Have you looked into the Beacon? http://www.blackrockbeacon.org/volunteer.htm

Hi there deano... yes I stumbled across the beacon a few days ago. Certainly a possibility. :)
paulo999

Postby Violet<3 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Hello!

Im coming over from the UK too :) Those pics are wicked, your going to be in for a visual treat at the Burn!!

I also have spaces on our RV if anyone is interested, due to the ticket system we have been left with holes in our group!
Violet<3

Postby paulo999 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Hey violet... you going to Burning Pub in a week or so? Near London Bridge apparently. Would be good to say hello to a few uk burners. :)
paulo999

Postby Violet<3 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Well I'm from the north, near Manchester! But I am due a visit to london soon as I'm currently applying for jobs there, so it would be good to go the Burning Pub :) As I also have some burner friends from London whom I met last year that I need to meet up with too!

Are you going to Secret Garden by any chance?

x

Also I said I had space on my RV but now since I said it, it has filled up. Just incase anyone needed a space.
Violet<3

Postby paulo999 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:43 pm

Violet<3 wrote:Well I'm from the north, near Manchester! But I am due a visit to london soon as I'm currently applying for jobs there, so it would be good to go the Burning Pub :) As I also have some burner friends from London whom I met last year that I need to meet up with too!

Are you going to Secret Garden by any chance?

Yep I should be there again this year, cross fingers. Schedule so far looks like SGP, Boomtown, 'That Thing In The Desert', and Bestival. Maybe some others depending on work & cash.

Last year was my first SGP and I was totally blown away 8) I take it you've been too?
paulo999

Postby Violet<3 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:52 pm

[/quote]

Yep I should be there again this year, cross fingers. Schedule so far looks like SGP, Boomtown, 'That Thing In The Desert', and Bestival. Maybe some others depending on work & cash.

Last year was my first SGP and I was totally blown away 8) I take it you've been too?[/quote]

Wowzas thats a busy couple of months!! Chill time in October?! ha.

No I haven't been to SGP before so I'm popping my cherry! Going with some burners I met last year actually, really excited it looks amazing. Do you not have a site/fanpage for your snaps?
Violet<3

Postby Ninzy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 pm

Heh Paulo

The UK CORE project is well underway at the Burning Pub, join in, make some seriously cool contacts and ask all the questions u need answering - we are all a friendly bunch. Come to Rumpus - I got plenty of advice from Burners last year at Rumpus!

Hoping to make Boom Town, Wilderness and Limetree this year.

shout me if u need any help

N
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Postby paulo999 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 am

Ninzy...Just read up about the UK core project. The metal foundry man has done work for Arcadia, so our paths probably crossed last year :)

And how have I not heard of Rumpus before now? Sounds right up my street. Ever since Shunt closed, I've been looking for something like this. Hopefully I'll make it to the next one.

Violet...I expect you'll like SGP. It's the prettiest festival I've been to. Stunning. And loaaads of fun random sh!t. In some ways it lives up to it's posh reputatation - on the first morning my neighbours asked me if I had a cafetiere they could borrow :) - but turned out everyone was lovely and very very up for it. Arcadia crew made a human crossbow and were firing people into the lake. :shock:

My photography... www.flickr.com/photos/PaulHolmes
paulo999

Postby Violet<3 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 pm

paulo999 wrote:Ninzy...Just read up about the UK core project. The metal foundry man has done work for Arcadia, so our paths probably crossed last year :)

And how have I not heard of Rumpus before now? Sounds right up my street. Ever since Shunt closed, I've been looking for something like this. Hopefully I'll make it to the next one.

Violet...I expect you'll like SGP. It's the prettiest festival I've been to. Stunning. And loaaads of fun random sh!t. In some ways it lives up to it's posh reputatation - on the first morning my neighbours asked me if I had a cafetiere they could borrow :) - but turned out everyone was lovely and very very up for it. Arcadia crew made a human crossbow and were firing people into the lake. :shock:

My photography... http://www.flickr.com/photos/PaulHolmes

Great shots Paul. I especially like the protest coverage! I was on that demo in March last year... SGP is posh.. oh dear, better tone my Northern accent down then!

Why don't you join the UK Burners FB group? I did last week and they have details of the burner pub nights on there.
Violet<3

Postby paulo999 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Hey violet... I was a bit worried that the SGP 'posh' thing would ruin it, but hey, people were great - my neighbours at least. Really nice, lots of pissing around and breakfast drunkenness and well, fab. And the site was drop, dread, amazing, you have to see it.

Oh and thanks, glad you like some of the photos. :)

Have put my name in for the FB group. Some names known to me. ;)
paulo999

Return to Introduce Yourself!