has anyone received the STEP participation Email?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: has anyone received the STEP participation Email?

Postby Mosquitopilate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:10 am

I Know The Real Story!! HAHAHA :!:
Last edited by Mosquitopilate on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby BirthChazz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:24 am

So a FB frenemy posts that she has "the e-mail." I check my box, no e-mail. And then, before I start to freak out, I come here- to read, to figure out the answers to my questions, and to laugh (the flux capacitor, made tea come out of my nose). I have done a lot of ticket lotteries, so am familiar with the angst.

Good luck to all!! And many thanks for the quick sharing of information, misinformation, terror, and well wishes. It makes me smile; much better than waiting alone.

Warmly,

Chazz
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver
BirthChazz

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Spanky's Wine Bar

Postby Canoe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:37 am

junglesmacks wrote:It has to be the flux capacitor. Has to be.

They must have got a spare. I got the email with a very long link.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Mosquitopilate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:20 am

Nothing Here Yet At 6:20 Am on East Coast
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:30 am

They must have finally got it up to 88 mph because I got mine at 4:30am EST. Patience, grasshoppas. It's only Tuesday and the race doesn't start until Friday. You're fine.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Mosquitopilate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:33 am

Just Got it at 6:30 am on east coast :D
Mosquitopilate

Postby Mosquitopilate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:38 am

It all comes down to this I guess
Mosquitopilate

Postby MyDearFriend » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:07 am

Got my email with link to the sellers page at 4:45 AM. Good work y'all, I wan't sure if us pre-sale buyers would be included.

8)

Oh and Junglesmacks, I don't recall ever calling you "little," huh, you were a great big hunka hunka burning love when I last met you... 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:38 am

Aww.. shucks.. *shuffles feet* :lol:

..and no, it doesn't all come down to this. This is but one of many opportunities that you'll have especially once the tickets get printed and shipped in June. Fear not.
junglesmacks

Postby mshaman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:49 am

Mine showed up at 2:11am, MST. Woot. If we can get 2 tickets out of the 30 losing entries, we have critical mass--enough drivers and fabricators on board to get our most essential contributions to the playa. The order we're queued in STEP is a whole other can of worms. Ugh. Given STEP odds, we're still working the local scene pretty hard for the two tickets.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:54 am

Funny how every other email that was sent, including the JRS, was nicely formatted as a plain text email; however, for some reason, whoever composed this STEP notification email felt compelled to make it use HTML and an image.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AbundantChoice » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:16 am

Got my e-mail too. The one thing that would be nice to know is whether it's

(a) "your location in the queue has already been determined, so please don't come try to crash our server at 11:59am desperately trying to be first in line"
or
(b) "when we say first come first served, we mean it, so you'd better take off from work on Friday afternoon as you try to punch your way through the digital mob on our server to get your spot."

Other than that, it's pretty self-explanatory.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 am

AbundantChoice wrote:Got my e-mail too. The one thing that would be nice to know is whether it's

(a) "your location in the queue has already been determined, so please don't come try to crash our server at 11:59am desperately trying to be first in line"
or
(b) "when we say first come first served, we mean it, so you'd better take off from work on Friday afternoon as you try to punch your way through the digital mob on our server to get your spot."

"Please read all of these instructions carefully, then click the link below to begin the process of converting your original registration to a request for a place on the WANT list"

Judging from the verbiage, I would say that it's the latter option.
junglesmacks

Postby Patsh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:45 am

YAY!
My email arrived at 3:06am...
and, just in case, I'll be hoping to be home at noon Friday.

Best of luck to EVERYONE for your tickets...
I know this isn't our last chance to get them.

:D :D :D :D :D
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby omidia » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 am

vargaso wrote:OK, just got my email, still not sure how the queue will be ordered, says my link to register won't open until March 2, not sure if that's how all STEP emails are, or if that indicates my place in the queue. Here's the text, sans the link:

Please read all of these instructions carefully, then click the link below to begin the process of converting your original registration to a request for a place on the WANT list. (NOTE: Your link will not be active until 12 noon (PST) Friday, March 2)

I got the same email, same dates.

I for one am glad it wasn't on the 29th. That's a busy day for me! =)

Good luck everybody.
omidia

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:20 am

@AbundantChoice - as junglesmacks pointed out, it was mentioned in the email. Friday is when the gates open so that you may sign up for the queue.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby miltef » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:35 am

So, my STEP link is about 7 lines long, ending with about 500 random characters. Is that the way it's supposed to look?
miltef

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:55 am

miltef wrote:So, my STEP link is about 7 lines long, ending with about 500 random characters. Is that the way it's supposed to look?

Yup.
junglesmacks

Re: has anyone received the STEP

Postby Mule » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:04 am

Oops
Mule

Postby Mosquitopilate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:24 am

One thing is for sure is there is going to be 1000's of people with same time unless they will narrow it down to the Mill. of a Sec.
Mosquitopilate

Postby MedullaB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:34 am

Predict another epic fail - why would anyone sell their tickets through step when it puts them on the hook for the service fees.

Best wishes to the ten lucky people who get tickets through step!

MB
M

Anything worth planning is worth over planning...
MedullaB

Postby vargaso » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 am

junglesmacks wrote:
AbundantChoice wrote:Got my e-mail too. The one thing that would be nice to know is whether it's

or

"Please read all of these instructions carefully, then click the link below to begin the process of converting your original registration to a request for a place on the WANT list"

Judging from the verbiage, I would say that it's the latter option.

It's really not very clear from that verbiage, but I did get confirmation that yes, we should be hitting refresh at 11:59, it's good ol' first-come first served.

This latest "interesting" implementation really brings it home that the BMORG is used to communicating via social experimentation, as in trickling out some information here, some there, withholding some, all in the hopes of controlling response. Well, it shouldn't be done that way anymore, in m opinion. Give people all the information they might need for an activity in one place (in this case, the email), and let them go forward in an informed manner. I honestly think they didn't make the first-come first-served aspect of the STEP queue explicit because they felt that would dampen people's fear, but of course it only generated uncertainty and questions.

I'm totally sympathetic to all the work the BMORG is doing and the pressure they're under, and I appreciate it all. Just offering some constructive criticism and countering the regulars' unending dismissals of valid questions people may have.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:47 am

MedullaB wrote:Predict another epic fail - why would anyone sell their tickets through step when it puts them on the hook for the service fees.

because they can sell it RIGHT NOW and not need to wait until june/july/august when they have a ticket in hand. (and when the ticket transfer system opens up)

..and cuz the fees were like 3% or less of the total cost and really not a big deal.. (service fee was only $7 !!)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby robrob » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:19 am

from a pal on another forum...

And of course, the link they sent is just a base64 encoded string with various components of form type:length:content. Which should be trivial to hack :(
Yep. http://s3.amazonaws.com/tickets.burning ... plete.html
That literally took me 30 seconds to reverse engineer.

good job team.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:32 am

yeah, so ? who cares?

it would also be a trivial matter for me to steal some of this candy:

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:48 am

I clicked that link and got the successful message, but since I'm not a computer brain, I don't know if it actually has my info, or is just the screen that is linked to the person that hacked it. If it did somehow grab my info, I'm nervous that my info could be/will be scrubbed since I was in that site before the launch.
Crap, that's what I get for being a curious clicker.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby MedullaB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 am

lemur wrote:
MedullaB wrote:Predict another epic fail - why would anyone sell their tickets through step when it puts them on the hook for the service fees.

because they can sell it RIGHT NOW and not need to wait until june/july/august when they have a ticket in hand. (and when the ticket transfer system opens up)

..and cuz the fees were like 3% or less of the total cost and really not a big deal.. (service fee was only $7 !!)

Just saying - 'Face value' in our community has usually included delivery/fees etc.

I do see your point about the convenience of immediate transfer of ownership (vs waiting till June), and that is a good motivator.

A suggestion to the Borg is to send an email out to all those who got tickets - "Due to the overwhelming demand for tickets and the need to setup non transferrable tickets for Step (holding at Will Call), we are implementing a process for you to register the name of the ticket owner over the next month which will be verified at the gate. This process will allow us to eliminate any scalped tickets after the deadline of March 31st (ticket registration deadline) and cancel any unregistered tickets to be fed back into our community. After this date, the ONLY way to transfer a ticket will be via Step."

At the gate, setup up a RANDOM screening of tickets (quicker processing).
M

Anything worth planning is worth over planning...
MedullaB

Postby CapnJoe » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am

I received my email this morning saying STEP would start March 2 12 noon pst. I received the link that will be activated at that time for me to be in the STEP ticket exchange. :o
Last edited by CapnJoe on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapnJoe

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am

@robrob - to what end? Your pal will now be able to register for tickets in that person's name, for an order that will be held in that person's name at the will call window, starting on Friday. Are they radically determined gifters?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby vargaso » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:00 pm

Bounce530 wrote:I clicked that link and got the successful message, but since I'm not a computer brain, I don't know if it actually has my info, or is just the screen that is linked to the person that hacked it. If it did somehow grab my info, I'm nervous that my info could be/will be scrubbed since I was in that site before the launch.
Crap, that's what I get for being a curious clicker.

That's the just the static HTML landing page that most likely will pop up after having completed the registration process. I'm sure the link in the email will be redirected to the registration form on March 2. So, no, they don't have your information. That was the point of having a bit.ly shortcut link intially, as to not expose the landing page. Agreed, it's not ideal, but it should work fine.
vargaso

Camp Name: Suburbanoya

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion