Yuri's Night, 2012

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Yuri's Night, 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:07 pm

How are preparations going for this year's Yuri's night. Especially in Reno?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Yuri's Night, 2012

Postby lucky420 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:02 pm

The fb page is up for yuri's night in reno...

The theme is homeless in space. Are you planning on coming up?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby wh..sh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Homeless in space!! **all my HHGG inspirations rushing through**
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby lucky420 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:24 pm

i work at a non-profit for people with disabilities. So many are on the verge of homelessness that this just kinda sits to the wrong side just a tad.

i think I have a pretty good sense of humor but this makes me cringe slightly. although someone on the fb page stated that it was "homeless" theme because so many did not receive tickets in the bm lottery and may not make it home this year. So when I think of the theme in that light... :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby wh..sh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Funny thing is they have a cart in the poster :D
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:52 pm

I've already sort of outed myself today as a person who makes tasteless jokes as a way of easing the anxiety around socially tense topics. So, I can see that there might well be times and places where joking about homelessness wouldn't be offensive to the homeless. Which doesn't mean that we can just waltz around and do it. So in my, hm, I-wonder-if-we-can-make-this-work-somehow-mode have donation bins? And maybe (if someone wants to do this right) a card that can be given out with "how to help the homeless" suggestions. One thing I do know--bottled water. I suppose we could go burny on that and give cups on carabiners, but a bottle of water is a fine thing if you don't have reliable access to a faucet.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby d6 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 am

"a person who makes tasteless jokes as a way of easing the anxiety around socially tense topics"

that is also myself - i feel that if you can't laugh at everything, you shouldn't laugh at anything, and that has saved me time and again while going through my versions of adversity, from my childs diseases or my own idiocy.

here's the link for Reno Yuris Night:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/320479098002535/

having actually been homeless, it doesn't offend me - it's just another semi-tasteless jab @ the ticket debacle.
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby Risky » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:00 pm

And after Mister Jellyfish successfully pulled of El Space-O with the Mexican Space Program last year,
is a homeless theme really any more laughable?

Jellyfish has been trying to use that shopping cart theme at Santa Crawl for the past few years,
doling out wrapped boxes to the homeless as we pub crawl with little success.
I'm glad he finally found an outlet for it.

I'm bringing the Cosmic Coat Check again this year.
See you there!

Edited to add: IN SPACE!
Risky

Postby lucky420 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 pm

a person who makes tasteless jokes as a way of easing the anxiety around socially tense topics"

oh this is me too. I guess I don't really cringe, more of a wince...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby moonrise » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:00 am

This theme pushes some boundries for me. Maybe as a costume one could wear a shiny space helmet, some shiny spaceman gloves & shoes to match, a jump suit (or average pants&shirt) and bring lots of newspapers and use those for blankets! Some final touches could be to simply arrive unwashed, unkempt and hey, why not buy 4 or 5 real homeless people tickets and bring them along! Yay! The ticket $ does help charity afterall. Okay, the last part may be too extreme.

Next Yuri's night maybe try something like this: Ravers without gravity hurtling through outer space, without a captain at the helm of the ship (because they're too spaced out to fly it themselves) and no mirrors on board, so their make up looks utterly wrong (they forgot to pack the frickin mirrors before take off, musta been too spaced out, again...) or forget the forgotten mirrors, because without gravity they couldn't possibly apply make up very well (or in all the right places). Just think of the hair dos alone, lmfao!! Not to mention they all think everything is "okay" and they are under the impression they all look fabulous, NOT! haha! We could create a new dance, "smashing into eachother" (far beyond moshing) of course it'd have to be "pretend smashing into eachother" (broken bones suck) or do they if just part of a costume?

Not sure where that^^ came from, maybe I secretly admire their beautiful, beautiful faces and purdy air brushed on make up? And I don't think I'm young and purdy enough to look like them? Most of us could come close, under zero gravity, tee hee...

aaaaand, submit
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Return to Regionals & Events