Guns, Love Em or Leave Em

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Guns, Love Em or Leave Em

Postby cowboyangel » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:06 pm

I want one of these things.......
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:45 pm

spotted a few minutes ago on the Columbia river....new prototype stealth boat
Attachments
P1010515.JPG
P1010515.JPG (55.01 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby cowboyangel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:11 pm

ImageThe Navy has successfully tested a laser weapon, with a warship successfully crippling a smaller boat by burning through its engine and igniting it. The test, conducted by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), is an important step toward mounting high-energy lasers on ships as weapons.

Wednesday's test saw the USS Paul Foster take aim at a motoboat and then hit it with a 15-kilowatt (kW) pulse from a solid-state high-energy laser (HEL). Despite four-foot waves and high humidity (which can degrade laser output), the laser managed to hit the boat's engine and ignite it (see video of the test below).

"This is the first time a HEL, at these power levels, has been put on a Navy ship, powered from that ship, and used to defeat a target in a maritime environment," says Peter Morrison, program officer at the ONR, in a press release. "We are learning a ton from this program—how to integrate and work with directed energy weapons."

Such ship-mounted laser cannons could be helpful to ships in situations that require more finesse than today's armaments allow. While typical explosive munitions can be messy and possibly more destructive than necessary, a laser has the advantage of precise targeting and more control over the amount of damage. That could be potentially useful when facing small targets like pirates and aircraft.

The HEL will need to be more powerful for it to be truly effective, though, and the goal of the program is to eventually mount lasers on ships with a destructive output of 100 kW. But for larger targets, like opposing navies, there are even more ambitious plans. The Navy is working on a megawatt laser that's intended to cut through an incredible 2,000 feet of steel per second. The first prototype of that monster won't be ready until 2018, the ONR says.

Unlike the solid-state laser in the recent test, the megawatt laser would be a free-electron design, a much more flexible technology. So far, though, the Navy has only demonstrated an electron injector for the design, which is said to be as large as a football field— making it impossible to mount on any vessel smaller than an aircraft carrier.

Ultimately, the ONR says lasers will serve to complement a warships other weapns, not replace them. In addition, entirely new battle tactics will have to be developed for ship captains to use them effectively.

"From a science and technology point of view, the marriage of directed energy and kinetic energy weapon systems opens up a new level of deterrence into scalable options for the commander," says Chief of Naval Research Rear Adm. Nevin Carr. "There is still much work to do to make sure it's done safely and efficiently."
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby gyre » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Shot by police...

"It's the third time in several months he's been shot."
http://www.wreg.com/news/wreg-mother-of ... ?track=rss
gyre

Re:

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:58 am

Toolmaker wrote:
cowboyangel wrote:Hey, I've heard of pink steel, but not pink pistols. I like that. Neat bunch.

There's a company that makes pink ARs.. ya know for ones daughter so the rifle doesn't clash with the bedroom decor.

My daughter saw a photo of a Hello Kitty AK-47 when she was, like, three, and still talks about how daddy's gonna buy her a pink Hello Kitty gun.

She has to wait until she's six to try a Barrett.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm

EspressoDude wrote:spotted a few minutes ago on the Columbia river....new prototype stealth boat

The one that was spotted a few years ago was built for I believe the Israelis at Oregon Iron Works in response to an incident where 7 Navy SEALS were killed trying to do a covert beach landing and when they came out of the water the bad guys were waiting for them.

The first generation, circa 2005, submerges partially and then gets close to the beach. A submerged robot deploys to beach, a periscope pops and scans the beach using optics I don't know about, while the SEALS slip out of the craft and approach the beach underwater. That way, by the time they get there, they've already determined whether there are hostiles or civilians in the vicinity. After they're finished, they can slip back to the craft and egress.

The prototype appeared all over the local media and nobody would talk about it. Last I heard, they moved the water trials for the newer variants to the Hanford stretch of the Columbia far away from prying eyes.

I've also heard that the hottest Delta-approved AR-15 on the market is LWRC, which is piston instead of gas-operated, which means SpecOps can pop up out of the water and shoot without worrying about blowing up their rifle. Plus, you can shoot it a hundred times as much without having to worry about it fouling. LWRC is working on a swappable upper, so the shooter can switch between 5.56 to 7.62 as mission and ammunition dictate.

When I hit a deer on the way to BRC in 2004, I had no weapon to put it down so she died rather horribly. Since then, every time I'm on a road trip there's a pistol or a very large hammer in my van.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Re: Re:

Postby Foxfur » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:24 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:
cowboyangel wrote:Hey, I've heard of pink steel, but not pink pistols. I like that. Neat bunch.

There's a company that makes pink ARs.. ya know for ones daughter so the rifle doesn't clash with the bedroom decor.

My daughter saw a photo of a Hello Kitty AK-47 when she was, like, three, and still talks about how daddy's gonna buy her a pink Hello Kitty gun.

Bring it, bitches!
Attachments
Hello Burnerbaby.jpg
Kitty Kombat Kommando
Hello Burnerbaby.jpg (192.02 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Awesome!!
ZaphodBurner

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Foxfur wrote:
ZaphodBurner wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:There's a company that makes pink ARs.. ya know for ones daughter so the rifle doesn't clash with the bedroom decor.

Bring it, bitches!
ZaphodBurner wrote:Awesome!!

BB is one of theeeeee, most wonderful Burner kids, I've been lucky enough to meet. you are right, Awesome!!!

ETA: dang, her photo didn't come with the quote..........I wonder why?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Foxfur » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:24 pm

She's kinda shy :roll:
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
EspressoDude wrote:spotted a few minutes ago on the Columbia river....new prototype stealth boat

The one that was spotted a few years ago was built for I believe the Israelis at Oregon Iron Works in response to an incident where 7 Navy SEALS were killed trying to do a covert beach landing and when they came out of the water the bad guys were waiting for them.

The first generation, circa 2005, submerges partially and then gets close to the beach. A submerged robot deploys to beach, a periscope pops and scans the beach using optics I don't know about, while the SEALS slip out of the craft and approach the beach underwater. That way, by the time they get there, they've already determined whether there are hostiles or civilians in the vicinity. After they're finished, they can slip back to the craft and egress.

The prototype appeared all over the local media and nobody would talk about it. Last I heard, they moved the water trials for the newer variants to the Hanford stretch of the Columbia far away from prying eyes.

yep, this one is the same heritage, but looks a bit longer. Didn't know about the submersibility. That would explain the big squares on top as open hatches as opposed to gun mounts OIW is about 2 miles downstream from the picture
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
EspressoDude

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Best minion I EVER had... she has a place in my heart forever. Absolutely NOBODY came close.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby pinemom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Aw shucks....ya'll make me even prouder then I already am of that one, yup, yes sir, yup Bob! :oops:
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:02 pm

pinemom wrote:Aw shucks....ya'll make me even prouder then I already am of that one, yup, yes sir, yup Bob! :oops:

we all love her. and you.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Pink guns???? I thought that was something only guys had............
cowboyangel

Postby Bin Noddin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:11 pm

SOME guys, Cowboy.
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby ygmir » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:00 pm

that's right Bin!!! Some are angry purple..........."diamond cutting blue veiners" even...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Sail Man » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 pm

ygmir wrote:that's right Bin!!! Some are angry purple..........."diamond cutting blue veiners" even...........

with two full mags, loaded to the gills
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 pm

stealth boat spotted this morning doing speed runs. Passing vehicles on Marine Drive ( Trucks doing about 50 ). Probably not up to full speed yet. Big squirt out the stern on take-off, no squat. At speed wake starts about 1/3 back from bow and jet barely visible.....no doubt can go faster
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
EspressoDude

Postby Foxfur » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:42 am

cowboyangel wrote:Pink guns???? I thought that was something only guys had............

Sgt. HelloKitty.jpg
Sgt. HelloKitty.jpg (65.07 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

The Hello Kitty Army: An Army of One
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Sail Man » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Kinda hard to tell if your saluting Sgt, wearing those shorts and all :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:42 pm

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 am

Colorado court says students can carry guns on campus

http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-court-says-students-carry-guns-campus-014512749.html

Shouldn't the, teachers be allowed to carry AK-47s or Carbon-15s or whatever?
cowboyangel

Postby beer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 pm

That was a good decision, but this one contains about three bushels full of much more better...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/apnewsbreak-federal-judge-finds-md-handgun-permit-law-infringes-2nd-amendment-rights/2012/03/05/gIQAY5UosR_story.html

The Second Amendment right to bear arms is not limited to the home and Maryland’s requirement that residents show a “good and substantial reason” to get a handgun permit is unconstitutional, according to a federal judge’s opinion filed Monday.

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights,” Legg wrote. “The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

:mrgreen:

k.
beer

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Kidsville

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:01 pm

beer wrote:That was a good decision, but this one contains about three bushels full of much more better...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/apnewsbreak-federal-judge-finds-md-handgun-permit-law-infringes-2nd-amendment-rights/2012/03/05/gIQAY5UosR_story.html

The Second Amendment right to bear arms is not limited to the home and Maryland’s requirement that residents show a “good and substantial reason” to get a handgun permit is unconstitutional, according to a federal judge’s opinion filed Monday.

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights,” Legg wrote. “The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

:mrgreen:

k.

if only...if only.......*tapping ruby slippers together*............if it comes to the PRC...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gyre » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:35 pm

People's Republic of China?

Postal Regulatory Comm?

Why are you being acronymonious?
gyre

Postby beer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Peoples
Republic
California

-or-

Place
(where)
Rights
(are)
Compromised

:wink:

k.
beer

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Kidsville

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Beer, is smart.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Bin Noddin » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:58 pm

ygmir wrote:Beer, is smart.

Yeah? - then why do I feel so dumb after interacting with him?
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby ygmir » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Bin Noddin wrote:
ygmir wrote:Beer, is smart.

Yeah? - then why do I feel so dumb after interacting with him?

one might ask the type of interaction, before making a guess...............
and, your names not Bud.

no one took the bait/line.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion