Namaste from Mumbai, India!

Namaste from Mumbai, India!

Postby sixofus » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Hello there!
Couple of first timers from Mumbai, India super excited to have gotten tickets and really looking forward to being a part of this community...
To top it all, the burn this year happens to be on my birthday... feel like the universe has a BIG (life changing) birthday present planned for me this year!
Anyone going to BM 2012 from India? Would LOVE to connect! :D
Also wondering how to participate and be a part of a theme camp if we're going to be arriving in the US just a few days before the event?
We're newbies, so any and all suggestions welcome!
Looking forward...
Lots of love + light
Janki
Living is Giving.
sixofus

Re: Namaste from Mumbai, India!

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:47 pm

Welcome Janko. Will you be traveling all the way from India this year?
We have hundreds of registered users from India, but most accounts have been deactivated.
Looking forward to seeing you on the playa this year.
Again, WELCOME and make yourself at home here.
Sham

Postby tamarakay » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:51 pm

Hello and welcome! I have so much respect for you international burners. It's all I can do to get to the burn from Texas.
Take a look through the theme camp threads, and the theme camp pages on the burning man site. There should be lots of camps recruiting here in a bit, as tickets start falling into place (or not). I live too far from all my village mates to contribute much to the pre-burn prep, but once onsite we make up for it. Different camps have different requirements, but most of them really work with the newbies.
Good luck!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby jkisha » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:40 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:42 am

But Texas is a foreign country...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:59 am

theCryptofishist wrote:But Texas is a foreign country...

don't you mean "Fer-in"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:01 am

You may put your fur in anything you please, but don't talk about it in mixed company!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:05 am

theCryptofishist wrote:You may put your fur in anything you please, but don't talk about it in mixed company!

:lol:

. . . Hi Janki! Lots of theme camps accept people from all over, not just hometown members. Most camps seek a contribution of 1) a bit of work at the event, to help their mission come to life, and 2) a bit of money to help pay for what they give Black Rock City, and whatever comforts they provide their members--almost always shade for you; maybe other things like showers, or meals.

Theme camps are not required, just one of many options. My favorite thing is to camp with one or two friends and visit theme camps whenever it seems like fun.

However, when you're coming from overseas, having a theme camp--to help, and be helped by--can make things easier. You can look in the 2012 Theme Camps forum and look for a camp that appeals. You'll want to make sure that you like your camp's goal. :) You probably have several months to join a camp, so keep an eye on this forum and around ePlaya:

viewforum.php?f=283
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:17 am

Welcome!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby wh..sh » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 pm

Welcome my fellow desis :D
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby sixofus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Shambala wrote:Welcome Janko. Will you be traveling all the way from India this year?
We have hundreds of registered users from India, but most accounts have been deactivated.
Looking forward to seeing you on the playa this year.
Again, WELCOME and make yourself at home here.

Thanks Shambala,
Yes, all the way from India! Super excited!
Living is Giving.
sixofus

Postby sixofus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:16 pm

tamarakay wrote:Hello and welcome! I have so much respect for you international burners. It's all I can do to get to the burn from Texas.
Take a look through the theme camp threads, and the theme camp pages on the burning man site. There should be lots of camps recruiting here in a bit, as tickets start falling into place (or not). I live too far from all my village mates to contribute much to the pre-burn prep, but once onsite we make up for it. Different camps have different requirements, but most of them really work with the newbies.
Good luck!

Thanks tamarakay for the tip! It is rather overwhelming the amount of information available... am also just about getting the hang of eplaya! love...
Living is Giving.
sixofus

Postby sixofus » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:17 pm

wh..sh wrote:Welcome my fellow desis :D

Yey to have found the first fellow desi! Tell me more...
We're first timers coming in all the way from Mumbai :) looking forward!
Living is Giving.
sixofus

Postby CornMan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 pm

If you want to camp with the Endorphin or Orphan camps, I'm sure several of the members would be happy to bring camp stuff for you in exchange for really cool clothing items from India. I wish I was already a burner when I was in India/Kashmir.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby funkyjigsaw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:12 am

Hiya Janki!

I'm just going to follow up on Zeke's post above.
I was a virgin burner last year (I live in the UK). I decided in about May last year that I was going to camp alone (just one of me). The reason was that I did not know whether I would like the people in the theme camp that I might choose / be invited to join. I was also worried about camp chores and fees. Therefore, I decided to make my first burn an "exploratory" experience.
Then a bit later (maybe July) I came across the Orphan/Endorphin camp run by Zeke. Hey! This sounded like a great idea! It seemed like an informal home for people like myself who had nowhere else to go. There are no camp fees, no camp chores, no expectations. If you want to do your own thing all week, then that is OK. If you want to join in some camp activities, then that is OK too. It is not necessary, but encouraged to bring "something" to contribute to the camp experience, but that is what BM is about anyway, so it's no extra burden. And that "something" can simply be yourselves, some great conversation, a good attitude, some good stories ...

So, I ended asking to join the Orphan/Endorphin camp. BUT, they were full! So I (and another Orphan wannabe) started the Orphan 2 camp. We were a separate camp that camped next door to Orphan/Endorphin. As a new camp we didn't have the facilities that some camps have, but we managed to have a communal shade structure and a burn barrel. There were about 30 of us, from all over the country and the world. There also ended up being an Orphan 3 camp as well, and we collectively took over one of the street intersections!!

I shall be helping establish Orphans Too camp this year. We will be recruiting again soon. Please check the orphan camps out on Facebook :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Orphans- ... 9092206557
https://www.facebook.com/groups/214083605308598/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/165494180197117/

There are other Orphan camps too for you to look at.

Take care! And welcome!
funkyjigsaw

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:26 am

funkyjigsaw wrote:As a new camp we didn't have the facilities that some camps have, but we managed to have a communal shade structure and a burn barrel.

The shade structure is just about the most necessary amenity a camp can have. (I would attribute some of my discomfort my first years--emotional as well as physical--to not having a shade structure.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:55 am

sixofus wrote:
wh..sh wrote:Welcome my fellow desis :D

Yey to have found the first fellow desi! Tell me more...
We're first timers coming in all the way from Mumbai :) looking forward!

Coming from Mumbai will be quite an achievement in itself...
PM me if you guys have any questions at all, anytime! There are handful of us, desis 8), who have already infiltrated BM but I have not really met anyone who has come from India directly.
So, yayyy for you guys and your enthusiasm! :)

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Ninzy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Kidha to my fellow Desis and welcome welcome
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Postby sixofus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:If you want to camp with the Endorphin or Orphan camps, I'm sure several of the members would be happy to bring camp stuff for you in exchange for really cool clothing items from India. I wish I was already a burner when I was in India/Kashmir.

Thanks Zeke. I'll look up the Endorphin and Orphan camps... Would love to bring some cool stuff from india!
Living is Giving.
sixofus

Postby sixofus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Ninzy wrote:Kidha to my fellow Desis and welcome welcome

Thanks Ninzy! Been meaning to connect with you since Dr. Pyro told me about you... Thanks for finding us first! :)
Will keep in touch!
Living is Giving.
sixofus

Postby sixofus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Savannah wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:You may put your fur in anything you please, but don't talk about it in mixed company!

:lol:

. . . Hi Janki! Lots of theme camps accept people from all over, not just hometown members. Most camps seek a contribution of 1) a bit of work at the event, to help their mission come to life, and 2) a bit of money to help pay for what they give Black Rock City, and whatever comforts they provide their members--almost always shade for you; maybe other things like showers, or meals.

Theme camps are not required, just one of many options. My favorite thing is to camp with one or two friends and visit theme camps whenever it seems like fun.

However, when you're coming from overseas, having a theme camp--to help, and be helped by--can make things easier. You can look in the 2012 Theme Camps forum and look for a camp that appeals. You'll want to make sure that you like your camp's goal. :) You probably have several months to join a camp, so keep an eye on this forum and around ePlaya:

viewforum.php?f=283

Thanks Savannah for some awesome advice! Started looking for a theme camp that appeals -- By when do the camps get full and stop taking in more people? Do we have some time or should we decide asap?
Thanks a ton once again!
Love
Living is Giving.
sixofus

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 am

sixofus wrote:Thanks Savannah for some awesome advice! Started looking for a theme camp that appeals -- By when do the camps get full and stop taking in more people? Do we have some time or should we decide asap?
Thanks a ton once again!
Love

You have a little more time than you would in previous years. Last year and before, I would say that the average theme camp closed ranks in March or April, some would stay open through May or June, and occasionally you would see a few empty spots being mentioned after that, but it was much less common. People publicly seeking a situation after June were sometimes giggled at a bit first for their procrastination, especially if they still didn't know what they wanted, or what they had to offer. Because you can survive without a camp . . . so to think that you can't survive, but to put it off until the last minute? . . . Well, it's just funny. :)

However, with the ticket situation, we seem to see a slower recruitment process. This is a hard time for theme camps, with many members left ticketless (because if a camp has, for example, 12 people absolutely necessary for the build of the camp, perhaps only 4 or 6 of those 12 people may have tickets right at this moment, & the camp may be waiting to see what happens with STEP--and the 10,000 theme camp tickets--before doing smaller things like figuring out the scale of their contribution, their size, and recruiting--if they want to).

So . . . it's quite possible that there will be a delay of a month in the average theme camp's deadline, but that's a guess. I would say you are safe through at least April with those who are accepting new members. On average.

So look around, and don't rush too badly. A good fit is important. So much so, that I would sooner camp solo than with people I don't mesh with. Then again, I'm only traveling 700 miles, and have a shade structure I can technically raise myself.

(When you contact a theme camp, make sure to write them a good message about who you are, the skills you have, and why you want to be there.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby kaushik » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:00 am

Hey!
We are from Coimbatore and have got tickets for Burning man as well and whats more in common is that I am celebrating my Birthday close to Burning man (on the 25th August) Just cant wait for August! We are planning to arrive into San Fransisco on the 24th. What are your plans?? We haven't decided on how we are going to get there, participate, camp there, etc.. Was a big surprise because this link just came out of no where when I typed something relevant on india, burning man, bla bla bla.. Let me know guys!

Bye!
kaushik

Postby wh..sh » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:48 am

kaushik wrote:Hey!
We are from Coimbatore and have got tickets for Burning man as well and whats more in common is that I am celebrating my Birthday close to Burning man (on the 25th August) Just cant wait for August! We are planning to arrive into San Fransisco on the 24th. What are your plans?? We haven't decided on how we are going to get there, participate, camp there, etc.. Was a big surprise because this link just came out of no where when I typed something relevant on india, burning man, bla bla bla.. Let me know guys!

Bye!

WAAAAAAA!!! Kaushik!! I am from Madras!
It is absolutelyfreakingawesome to see Coimbatore ppl showing up to BM :D Who would have thought.
Hit me up if you have questions or if I can help.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby kaushik » Sat May 05, 2012 4:17 am

Hey!
Thats nice to know! Well I have started reading a lot about burning man and I start getting a lot of doubts. Since we are coming all the way from India we want to know what should we get to contribute to the whole event? For example I read in a few places that some of them bring presents to exchange. Does that mean we could get anything and everything like small souvenirs typically from India. Then when I start reading about participating in camps how do they expect you to contribute?? For example: There is this couch surfing camp who just getting themselves organized which I thought would be nice place to hang around. Any other ideas for foreign ppl to land up into? (Well I read about the orphanage camps which I thought would be a good idea). Again I just thought why all this trouble may be we could hire a RV for BM and thought we could do a post burn trip. In that case renting RV's only for Burning man comes up to $5000 for 5 ppl again we are only 2. So do you know of any ride share options apart from the 1's on the burning man website?? Lastly we have been to a few festivals in Europe but I dont think nothing can be compared to Burning man so does everybody really look as crazy as they appear on the youtube videos?? Do most of them come with outfits just for burning man or just anything would do?? Wow I read all what I've written and seems like a really anxious wanna be burner! Anyways any help on these subjects would be highly appreciated!

Bye!

Kaushik.
kaushik

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat May 05, 2012 7:21 am

That's a lot of questions.
We don't expect first times to gift. If, when you get to the playa, you feel like it, you can help out, informally with people around you who could use an extra hand, or by volunteering for one of the departments. Much as I love some indian stuff, I don't want to see you come all that way to find that you brought something that doesn't work (for you).
If you want to join a camp, do. It might help out with some logistics. But don't join a camp just for the sake of joining a camp. Being in a camp means you will have duties, and you might want to do other stuff.
If you can find an rv, you can probably find people willing to share. There are a couple of threads about living in an rv--including one on house rules. And lots on keeping them as clean as possible.
Wear whatever you like. There are some glorious outfits at the burn, absolutely. That's not how everyone dresses. Some people work hard--and they have no time for finery. (Others work hard and dress snazzy--you'll find all sorts of combinations.) Tend to your survival needs (food, water, shelter, etc.,) before getting involved with costume.
I'd advice you to look around this board. See what interests you and think through some preparations. One of the regulars is also from India, but I won't "out" her. Read the survival guide and some of the preparation threads befoer asking questions--we snark less if you aren't asking the basics.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby kaushik » Thu May 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Hey, Thanks for explaining all the points in detail. I will read the survival guide and get to know more!
kaushik

Return to Introduce Yourself!