Our Realization

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Our Realization

Postby Lifeisshort » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:32 pm

As Burners we believed that we subscribed tightly to our Ten Principles; It was not until the ticket shortage placed one of these principles under the magnifying glass "Radical Inclusion". Only then did we discover something about ourselves we had subconsciously already known and had yet to put it into words. That is, Burning man is Cumulative...at least the event portion. We were forced to realized that much of the magic that occurs out there is the result of our Ancestors Burners... each year, to some degree, is the byproduct of the previous years. This magic is shaped, often built upon, expanded, influenced, effected and affected by our communities history; Moreover, each coming year relies on the experiences and the magic that was created and realized at previous Burns. What a wonderful realization.. we need the Experienced Burner as much, if not more than the newbie... What an amazing marriage.
Lifeisshort

Re: Our Realization

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Just another rationalization...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 48_love » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Just another rationalization...

Who said we only needed ten?

The Eleventh may have been the first (or maybe 6th or 7th; I'm not counting) ... first 10, meet the 11th: Radical Rationalization! The invention of Fidelity 2.0!
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:33 pm

You might be on to something, 48...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 pm

Yes, experienced burners do enhance a virgin burner's experience.

No, a veteran burner is no more deserving of a ticket than a virgin.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby jkisha » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:38 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Just another rationalization...

LOL well that's exactly the way BMORG chose to rationalize it. That's the reason they gave for canceling the open sale.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby moonrise » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 am

Lifeisshort wrote:As Burners we believed that we subscribed tightly to our Ten Principles; It was not until the ticket shortage placed one of these principles under the magnifying glass "Radical Inclusion". Only then did we discover something about ourselves we had subconsciously already known and had yet to put it into words. That is, Burning man is Cumulative...at least the event portion. We were forced to realized that much of the magic that occurs out there is the result of our Ancestors Burners... each year, to some degree, is the byproduct of the previous years. This magic is shaped, often built upon, expanded, influenced, effected and affected by our communities history; Moreover, each coming year relies on the experiences and the magic that was created and realized at previous Burns. What a wonderful realization.. we need the Experienced Burner as much, if not more than the newbie... What an amazing marriage.

If the shortage is real, maybe we'll all need to start thinking about taking turns from year to year.
Some local burners only go every other year (they still help the burn from places off of the playa) and somehow they seem to remain involved and happy.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Gorillex » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 am

The fact that Burning Man Corporation can sell you on believing this drivel goes to show how powerfully their marketing has succeeded in selling their brand.

7 million in payroll last year.

ITS A BUSINESS
Gorillex

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 am

Marketing?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby moonrise » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I wonder how much the payroll would be if everyone just showed up with camping gear, and the burn were as big or bigger than it has been in say, oh idk, a 7 million dollar payroll year?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby glitter-mouse » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:14 am

Gorillex wrote:goes to show how powerfully their marketing has succeeded in selling their brand.

i agree. the marketing of BM is so subtle and obvious at the same time. the spectacle of the event, created by the ticket holders, is the marketing. the marketing is also the word-of-mouth of these ticket holders. the Org doesn't have to spend any money on marketing - it's all done for free by these individual marketeers.

it's a perfect plan of exploitation - get everyone else to do just about everything for the company and then charge them money to do it. sell them on the idea they're doing something spiritual and socially significant. give them the feeling they're part of some counter-cultural movement and they'll sell their children in order to give more and more to the church- i mean the movement. make them believe that the rest of the world (the default world) is the problem, and doing things in the real world is only worthy if it can be translated into the movement. PROFIT.
glitter-mouse

Postby Sham » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 am

Wow glitter-mouse, you're awfully cynical. Think of this adventure and it's marketing like a trip to a Caribbean island. If it's beautiful, the people are nice and it's warm and comfortable place, word will spread. Don't blame the Aruba Department of Tourism.
Oh, and welcome to eplaya---a warm, pleasant, comfortable place with really nice people! :D
Sham

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:01 am

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 am

I am sure that this won't provide you with any answers, but it's fun anyway:

So, are you a Burgin?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sail Man » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 am

Shambala wrote:Wow glitter-mouse, you're awfully cynical. Think of this adventure and it's marketing like a trip to a Caribbean island. If it's beautiful, the people are nice and it's warm and comfortable place, word will spread. Don't blame the Aruba Department of Tourism.
Oh, and welcome to eplaya---a warm, pleasant, comfortable place with really nice people! :D

With just a hint of snark :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Our Lady of the Realization

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 pm

Sail Man wrote:
Shambala wrote:Wow glitter-mouse, you're awfully cynical. Think of this adventure and it's marketing like a trip to a Caribbean island. If it's beautiful, the people are nice and it's warm and comfortable place, word will spread. Don't blame the Aruba Department of Tourism.

With just a hint of snark :wink:

Ha! I know of a Caribbean island so secret that no postcards--or even photos--are allowed. I have a wonderful little time share... Except for the occasional boatload of Hatians, no interlopers...
I'd tell you the name, but then I'd have to kill you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:14 pm

svenborgia?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Simon,
When that knock comes on the door... Just open it. Easier for everyone (including your family) if you just accept fate.
Love ya! Any special wishes for the funeral?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:26 pm

you know the deal, "died with his boots on" yadda yadda yadda, free booze.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

truth?

word.

one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:you know the deal, "died with his boots on" yadda yadda yadda, free booze.

Thinking about it, you can die with my boots on, too. Somebody has to wear them...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby glitter-mouse » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:53 pm

burners' sense of humor never gets old. it's like you've invented humor itself and have evolved it into its own special language that mere mortals can't understand... like 'bacon' and 'safety third' - it's just so limitless and witty, like a magical blend of irony and wisdom. i suppose it comes from a deep rooted desire to be anarchists and at the same time loving your authoritarian overlords.

(inb4 'i for one welcome our new authoritarian overlords.')

it's just that you're all so special. except so few of you have tickets to your own parade. i think i can understand what that feels like, but i won 2 tickets in the lottery and i can't tell you how good that feels. god, i love the playa!
glitter-mouse

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:55 pm

staying with Dre again?

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Lifeisshort » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:33 am

Reallity check..... BORG is not up to anything, except trying to resolve tricky situation. How about this... there is a huge demand (Period). Are you really surprised? Coachella, a 75,000 ticketed event, sold out in 2 hours for two seperate weekends. Last Year the Burn, Coachella, Bonnarro, Lollapalooza and numerous smaller festivals all sold out (in record time). I think we need to get check our egos, there is more at foot than just the Burn becoming popular, it is the entire large festival scene that has taken off in this country....... Glastonbury, arguably the larges and most famous festival in the world, sells out one full year before the event, in fact the day the tickets go on sale. The States are just late to the party.
Lifeisshort

Postby glitter-mouse » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:53 am

Lifeisshort wrote:Reallity check.....

i guess the saddest part is that we as burners can no longer consider burning man to be counter-cultural now that it's gone mainstream. i feel like i lost about 15 cool points amongst my so-called friends.
glitter-mouse

Postby Sham » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:31 am

One good 70mph, 8 hour long dust storm will prove to everyone that Burning Man has not gone mainstream. "This ain't your father's Disneyland"!
Sham

Postby 5280MeV » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:32 am

glitter-mouse wrote:i guess the saddest part is that we as burners can no longer consider burning man to be counter-cultural now that it's gone mainstream. i feel like i lost about 15 cool points amongst my so-called friends.

Blech... Barf...

If there is anything that has a shred of value in your "counter-culture" then you want it to go mainstream as quickly as possible.

If you are "counter-cultural" because you accept transgender people, then you want your counter-culture to go mainstream so that society accepts people for who they are.

If you are "counter-cultural" because you practice sustainable farming, then you want your counter-culture to go mainstream so that society becomes healthier and more responsible in the long term.

If you are "counter-cultural" because you power your home on solar and feed back energy into the grid, then you want your counter-culture to go mainstream so that society stops fucking the planet.

If you are "counter-cultural" because you like to rock out to experimental EDM, then you want your counter-culture to go mainstream so that you can get your EDM fix on four different radio stations as you go on a boring drive through rural Iowa.

If you want to sit around and feel superior because you are in the secret club, well then you better keep it on the down low.

This is what 90% of so called "counter-culture" is - just a way of resting your ego on what you consume and how you spend your free time in some sort of "scene" without needing to make anything or do anything productive. If you are involved in something useful, beautiful, or otherwise productive, then what is the point of worrying that most people might actually appreciate your art or skill? NONE.
5280MeV

Postby The CO » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:10 am

Frogbird with the verbal smackdown! 2 points!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Yeah.
Has he been recruited by a camp yet?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby glitter-mouse » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:04 pm

a agree. i guess there's nothing wrong with being mainstream. the mainstream has a lot to offer. the people are friendly and they bring a certain je ne sais quoi to the playa.
glitter-mouse

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy