Honey, I'm Home!!

Honey, I'm Home!!

Postby Pippi » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:39 am

Hello my name is Pippi!

I've lurked on eplaya for years now so I feel as though I “know,” many of you.

Last year was my first year to go to Burning Man after years of wanting to. My husband is sober so we had put it off for fears of him relapsing. When we heard the theme was “Rites of Passage,” we knew it was the year for both of us to take the plunge. As luck would have it our camp (Couch Burners) was placed right next to the AA Camp. AA burners all week were coming over to check on him to see if he was doing ok. Awww the playa... :)

As I walked, biked, skipped, and oooh and awed my way around the city I kept thinking how I could not believe I had finally made it to the playa. Over and over again those words ran through my brain and many times out my mouth to various people. “I can’t believe I’m finally here! I can’t fucking believe it!” It was amazing to be in a place I had long to go and thought I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. Never in my dreams would I have imagined the magic of the playa and its participants. Simply. Amazing.

On one random bike ride I found myself near Terminal City. My husband was chatting with some campers from M.A.S.H asking about the camp. As he chatted, this little booth caught my eye across the street. I saw art work of all shapes and sizes and colors attached to this chicken wire booth. It suddenly dawned on me as I walked closer what I was looking at. The name “AntiM,” from all my years of eplaya lurking flashed through my mind as I looked at all of the beautiful little treasures waiting for new homes. My mouth dropped because I remember many times thinking what a wonderful idea this was and here I was standing in front of it. It brings tears to my eyes as I write this because it was such a powerful moment for me. The awestruck moment my virgin year at Burning Man wasn’t from seeing The Man, The Temple, or a huge art installation, as incredible as they are, it was a little booth I'd read about, made of chicken wire covered in little creations that finally made me realize, “I’m here.”

Sigh. It was a perfect moment.
Pippi

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Honey, I'm Home!!

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:57 am

Wow Pippi, what a great introduction. Yes, you discovered that the playa is really nothing like you imagine, it's different and better! You are right about the little things that make the place. I was waiting in the entrance line several years back and looking up at the vast blue sky above, and suddenly BM radio played Louis Armstrong/Wonderful World. Small things, big things, amazing art and amazing people all make up Burning Man.

WELCOME to eplaya--your daily dose of virtual dust. Make yourself at home here and I hope you post and join in more.

Sham....
Sham

Postby jkisha » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:49 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:51 am

Wow, Pippi, you just made my day... hell, my year. Thank you.

Dang it, I'm getting a little misty myself....
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:13 am

What a pleasure to welcome someone to eplaya that starts with such a great post.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby ygmir » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:57 am

Welcome...........oh, welcome, welcome!!

in a time when this board is raspy and harsh.......what a treat!

someone, should make this a "sticky" as an outline how to "come aboard"........

and how fitting, to have such a wonderful experience, epiphany, if I may, related to our own "AntiM"........

good on ya for this!!

now, jump in, and remember, there are snarks about........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby tamarakay » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:48 am

Pippi! We are so very glad you have unlurked and jumped in. I love it when other people can find the words I lack. What a beautiful expression of love and participation! Did you adopt an artwork? My husband picked a beautiful golden photograph of some trees on the horizon. We have it hanging in our airstream for now, but I want to give it a place of honor in our house, just looking for that perfect spot.

Welcome to Eplaya!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby mamasharon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:28 am

An inspiring post. Thanks, Pippi. MamaSharon
mamasharon

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi Pippi! Beautiful story. How wonderful is it that you & your husband got placed next to the AA Camp?? (I love it that they kept checking on him.) And that you ran into AntiM's Home for Wayward Art like something from a fairy tale. :D

It is really wonderful to be reminded that even the folks like yourself who have read about the Burn for years can be emotionally overwhelmed by their inaugural burn. I'm glad. I don't ever want anyone to find it to be exactly what they thought. I always want it to be more (for better or worse; hopefully better). I hope it will be a little like a moon landing, only with hospitable aliens.

Some of that wonder sticks around. Each year while on the road, I am guaranteed to say "I can't believe we're going!" :shock: . . . about once an hour, to the Driver of the World's Best Box Truck. (Often followed by some chanting, or singing.) And then when I'm there: "I can't believe I'm here!"
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby moonrise » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Welcome :wink: home!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Pippi » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome friends! With all of the ticket issues going on I figured now was the perfect time to share my favorite moment from my first burn. :)
Pippi

Postby Kevinochi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:57 am

Welcome home Pippi!!! This post is awesome... Hope to see you this year on the Playa! Keep sending out those positive vibes! ^_^
Waffles taste better slightly burned...
Kevinochi

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Return to Introduce Yourself!