Anubis

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Anubis

Postby Finnegan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:59 pm

This is beautiful! Thank you!
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:14 pm

gibson_ wrote:Hey chiefdanfox,

Not to bring up _that_ topic, but on the uncertainty of getting out to the desert this year, is it still cool to sign up if I'm unsure if I'll be out there?

God damn this thing is cool :-D -- I can't wait to see it :)

Absolutely! Please do. Thank you!
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:25 pm

VultureChow wrote:
chiefdanfox wrote:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anubis/109956135785586
Our Faceyspace page!

Beautiful. Seeing the update has totally made my day.

With just about everyone predicting the doom of BM: no theme camps or large art, a plague of 20k virgins with 40's looking for tits, it's nice to see that not everyone is shelving their plans.

Please visit, "LIKE" and spread the word. This thing is going to need some real horsepower to get out on to the playa.
chiefdanfox

Postby VultureChow » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:34 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:
VultureChow wrote:
chiefdanfox wrote:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anubis/109956135785586
Our Faceyspace page!

Beautiful. Seeing the update has totally made my day.

With just about everyone predicting the doom of BM: no theme camps or large art, a plague of 20k virgins with 40's looking for tits, it's nice to see that not everyone is shelving their plans.

Please visit, "LIKE" and spread the word. This thing is going to need some real horsepower to get out on to the playa.

Done. Also signed up for some on playa volunteering. Unfortunately I'm on the east coast, so not much else I can do. Though I can't wait for your kickstarter.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 pm

THANKS!
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:26 pm

chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:18 am

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dG50RHRBaTlmallDVWpPeHJ1VFpTSlE6MQ
Pimping for volunteers. Snow wants lasers on the friggin' head. I say we deliver. Friggin' dogs with friggin' lasers on their heads. Yeah nobody has tickets. WHAA! Woodstock it. 40k newbies, 30k hoary-types. The BLM and org powerless to stop it. We squeeze, we learn, we adapt. Bring a some personal camp potties, it could get sort of rough.
chiefdanfox

Postby gibson_ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 am

Yeah nobody has tickets. WHAA! Woodstock it. 40k newbies, 30k hoary-types. The BLM and org powerless to stop it. We squeeze, we learn, we adapt. Bring a some personal camp potties, it could get sort of rough.

I love you.
gibson_

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:02 pm

chiefdanfox

Postby glitteranddust » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:32 pm

This looks wondrous! What a neat project... I can't wait to see it out on the playa. (I submitted a volunteer form, too, because it's just that cool.)

I like the idea for the lasers! And the idea for some sort of ambient sounds, too. I probably won't be able to hear it... If I stop in at the temple though and all the lounging piles of hippies look a little jarred I'll know which ambient noise it is. XD
Hmmm... maybe build some paper/cardboard wood (ie-burnable) skeletons or bones for your catacomb? (Cheap and easy to do and can be anywhere from fairly realistic to laser cut to neon under blacklight.)
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

Sober on the playa? http://www.runfreecamp.com
glitteranddust

Postby Jgladdy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:35 pm

I signed up to help! Looking forward to it. Loved the Horse last year. When should we expect to hear from you guys about construction?
Jgladdy

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 am

Jgladdy wrote:I signed up to help! Looking forward to it. Loved the Horse last year. When should we expect to hear from you guys about construction?

I am aiming for starting in May, early May if possible. Thank you!
chiefdanfox

Postby ragabashpup » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:41 am

I signed up and can hopefully help out on playa. :)
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby SquirrelHead » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:31 am

Wow that is an amazing project. I can't wait to see it out on the playa.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:49 pm

thanks! Anyone know of a good SF Bay Area - Sac Joaquin source of recycled / used lumber and plywood? I have tweaked the design enough, and I think it is time to see where and how much can be recycled / re purposed material. There is a lot of hidden structure that could be fairly ugly, and I think some of the surfaces could be any manner of plywood / cardboard. I am looking for 3/4 -3/8 structural plywood (pine) in the "boat load" quantity, and 2x4 - 2x10 dimensional lumber 8' - 20' nails are ok, paint probably isn't (lead based, burning latex yuck)pressure treated is right out!
chiefdanfox

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 am

Aside from craigslist and such I think all the good sources around here have dwindled. The salvage yard in SF off Third St (Building Resources) occasionally gets ply and framing lumber in quantity, but I understand they're philosophically opposed to Burning Man hippies taking their stuff and torching it.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Stephendragonfly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:49 am

@ ChiefDanFox
Have you checked out Urban Ore in Berkeley? They have all kinds of recycled building materials. Two bys of various sizes can be had there as well as other recycled lumber. You never know what you might find there.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Those #$&%! hippies $%&*! it up for the rest of us *&#$! hippies.

I am keeping an eye on urban ore's ECOPARK. I have not seen a good run of stuff there yet. I still have a couple of months before construction starts. Thanks!
chiefdanfox

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 am

One thing Building Resources typically has is a big pile of old Simpson clips & joist hangers, which might be up your alley.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:23 pm

Bob wrote:One thing Building Resources typically has is a big pile of old Simpson clips & joist hangers, which might be up your alley.

THAT is an awesome idea. I hadn't thought about that, but yes, I need about 100 joist hangers, and various Simpson plates, clips and straps. Brilliant!
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 am

One of the volunteers brought up the idea of a wind harp as a "thank you" to donors of one of the projects last year, and I have been dabbling with the idea of making the ears out of lattice, or possibly stretched burlap as a "skin" to allow the wind through. It occurred to me that it might be really cool to build wind harps into the ears, since the shape is already there. Yes? Anyone have experience with their efficacy on the Playa? They look pretty easy and inexpensive to build, or so the lad thought...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolian_harp
chiefdanfox

Postby Dis)'(rack » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 am

Theme track for Anubis, entitled Anubis.

This is a big, big tune.
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby Dis)'(rack » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:31 am

chiefdanfox wrote:thanks! Anyone know of a good SF Bay Area - Sac Joaquin source of recycled / used lumber and plywood? I have tweaked the design enough, and I think it is time to see where and how much can be recycled / re purposed material. There is a lot of hidden structure that could be fairly ugly, and I think some of the surfaces could be any manner of plywood / cardboard. I am looking for 3/4 -3/8 structural plywood (pine) in the "boat load" quantity, and 2x4 - 2x10 dimensional lumber 8' - 20' nails are ok, paint probably isn't (lead based, burning latex yuck)pressure treated is right out!

chiefdanfox - I am in the construction business in the San Joaquin/Sacramento Valley region. I have a friend of mine who used to be a wholesale lumber salesmen in Lodi putting a list of contacts together for potential recycled wood vendors.

I'll let you know.

General Dis)'(rack
You pay your money...you take your chances
Dis)'(rack

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Blue Team Burners

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:55 am

DJs, Poi, hoopers, fire artists, musicians, wanted for a fundraiser at NIMBY (Oakland, CA) March 31.
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am

We have launched our Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chi ... nubis-2012

For those of you interested in more specifics on the budget, please email me at:

fox.dan@gmail.com
chiefdanfox

Postby Risky » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Good luck with the kickstarter campaign.

Have you seen this?
Risky

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks. The Art Grant Committee did not select Anubis, so it is tin-cupping the whole way.
chiefdanfox

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:57 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:We have launched our Kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chi ... nubis-2012

For those of you interested in more specifics on the budget, please email me at:

fox.dan@gmail.com

Sorry to read the Art Grant Committee didn't (think clearly) choose Anubis. :(

We can spread the word online (google etc please help!) start spreading the links to kickstarter and chipping in hands on.

We LOVE Anubis!! :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:01 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/129892903807198/

Dog and Pony Show at NIMBY?
ANUBIS Kickoff at NIMBY...A NIMBY Night of Burning Man Presentations

Saturday, April 7th, 8pm
Film Screening 9:30
NIMBY
8410 Amelia Street
Oakland, CA 94621

This is a fundraiser and we are suggesting a $10 donation at the door. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.

ANUBIS, the stunning 50-foot high Egyptian Jackal project for this year's Burn. Anubis will most certainly be "the" hot art piece on the playa this year. This is your chance to join the Anubis Team, get insider info, purchase some cool one of a kind swag, and meet the
artists, architects and builders.

Remember the Trojan Horse from Burning Man 2012? We are showing a great documentary, “The Black Rock Horse”, for the first (and probably) only time to the general public in the Bay Area. Come hear the film’s Director Todd Darling talk about the inspiration behind the project, how the Trojan Horse almost didn't get built, the construction challenges, and how the darn thing almost ran away one day!

The primary build team from the Trojan Horse project, Dan Fox, Dan Swain, and others will be on hand to share their stories and answer questions.

And if you are new to the area, new to Burning Man or just simply new, NIMBY is a great place to meet up with other folks. Lots of art projects are created and built at NIMBY along with many special events and fundraisers. Plenty of street parking, easy access to freeway. Near to the Coliseum BART Station.

But wait, we've got lots of other things happening that night! Entertainment Provided:

 DJ Miss Iggy and Crew - Video Provided by Phoenix
 Todd Darling's movie "The Black Rock Horse"
 Aerialists Tracy Miller and Elizabeth Silverman
 Fire Hooping - Fire Performers and more!

Unique not available anywhere else SWAG - No host libations available
chiefdanfox

Postby moonrise » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:17 am

*bump*
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Art & Performance