Volunteering=stubs???

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Volunteering=stubs???

Postby HiBbY » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:04 pm

A freind of mine asked me a question today that i never thought to ask over the past 5 years and that is do volonteers get into the burn free? i know theres that absolutely OUTRAGOUS raffle that recently has been having issues, but do volonteers just get sent to the raffle or are they actually given passes? information is widely appreciated
c = 1 gives the sequence 0, 1, 2, 5, 26,…, which tends to infinity...
HiBbY

Re: Volunteering=stubs???

Postby BBadger » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:11 pm

It depends on the level of volunteering I believe.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:15 pm

the answers to your questions can probably be most accurately answered by the volunteer dept. of the ORG. I'd bet, there is an FAQ, or, a contact email/person.
Different departments and different positions, get different treatments.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby HiBbY » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Grazzi
HiBbY

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:20 pm

It depends on the department, depends on how much time the person can offer, and often, how new they are to the department. Forget about getting one your first time, because no department wants a (possibly) lazy person who just wants a way in. From the Burning Man home page:

Please note that first-time volunteers do not receive a ticket to the event.

In any event, volunteers usually don't receive details about their shifts, etc, until June or July. (Tickets will be sold out by then.)

So, don't volunteer unless you have something to offer and would do it anyway, 'cause the only thing you might get out of it is well-deserved satisfaction.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby HiBbY » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:36 pm

:::D hwurd man thanks
HiBbY

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Yes, circumstances are generally as others say here.

In general (although not absolute....DPW and ESD are some notable exceptions) first time volunteers cannot get a ticket up front BEFORE they volunteer. Those two exceptions exist because they both require certain numbers of personnel with unique skillsets often involving formal licensing, etc.

As a general rule, volunteers that DO get tickets, get them after their volunteering is complete, and are for the following year's event. So if you attend in 2012 and volunteered a bunch, you'd earn one to 2013's event.

Some caveats: The numbers of hours required varies from department to department. Each one submits their proposed need to the Org, and is based on attracting enough useful volunteers to complete the task required. Some departments have hard tasks; so they might offer tickets for relatively few shifts/hours. Some might have hard tasks, but are very popular roles/departments, so they require lots more hours.

Incidentally, the hours involved for a free ticket is almost exclusively for hours within a single department; some hours here, a some hours there cannot be combined across multiple departments because each department has it's own bucket of tickets to encourage/reward their own volunteers. Word is this may change...eventually....like years from now.

Also to note...although not standard, the general ballpark for getting a free ticket involves 30-40 hours of volunteer time on playa to earn. Yea. That much.

Hope that helps.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby HiBbY » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Where would i have to apply for volunteer work if i made a decision to join?
HiBbY

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm

There's a "Volunteer" link on the very lower left edge of the Burning Man home page.

You can also have walk-up opportunities every day at 5pm at Lamplighters at the edge of Center Camp, and if the Black Rock City Post Office is in operation, they usually have orientations twice per day.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Rice » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:30 pm

HiBbY wrote:Where would i have to apply for volunteer work if i made a decision to join?

I have volunteered 4 out of my 5 burns... That is my way of getting involved ;)

The volunteer link is: http://www.burningman.com/participate/vol_event.html

FAQ: http://www.burningman.com/participate/v ... r_faq.html

Volunteer Questionnaire: http://www2.burningman.com/people/

I do not volunteer for anything close to what I do in my day-job. Keeps it fun and interesting.

The main thing: if you volunteer for a shift, show the fuck up... Oh, volunteering is a commitment to Burning Man, Black Rock City, your department and all of the participants. Please, for the love of god: Honour your commitments and show up early & prepared for all the shifts you volunteer for.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby ygmir » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:43 pm

stretch80 wrote:
HiBbY wrote:Where would i have to apply for volunteer work if i made a decision to join?

I do not volunteer for anything close to what I do in my day-job. Keeps it fun and interesting.

The main thing: if you volunteer for a shift, show the fuck up... Oh, volunteering is a commitment to Burning Man, Black Rock City, your department and all of the participants. Please, for the love of god: Honour your commitments and show up early & prepared for all the shifts you volunteer for.

yes. or, someone might have to work for you, and work a triple at that.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby lemur » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Savannah wrote:There's a "Volunteer" link on the very lower left edge of the Burning Man home page.

You can also have walk-up opportunities every day at 5pm at Lamplighters at the edge of Center Camp, and if the Black Rock City Post Office is in operation, they usually have orientations twice per day.

correct!! 5pm every day.. we are usually found right behind the Cafe.. across from the mural wall.

But, Also..considering that this is in a thread mentioning getting tickets to the event through ones volunteering ..I will say

Lamplighters does not offer opportunities for free or staff priced tickets to volunteers. Whether an off the street walk up volunteer or a volunteer camping in the village working many shifts during the week there are no ticket opportunities.

-
lemur -member of lamplighter management team/council
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Rice » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:05 pm

ygmir wrote:
stretch80 wrote:

yes. or, someone might have to work for you, and work a triple at that.........

I have no idea how you could function after 12 hours on-shift, let alone the 18 hours you ended up working...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby lemur » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:26 pm

ive done lots of 12+ hour days working on stuff out there.. sure does make going to sleep easier..

you know yer camp is doing it right when you worked 12-14 hours building stuff and when you hit sleeping bag exhausted at 1am people are still sawing and hammering away..

working a lot out there is very enjoyable for me.. i find it fulfilling... often people have to insist i stop working and go out and have fun..

I usually am pretty worn out by the time my day(s) off come around thursday and friday.

amazing how much that day off can help!!

..i usually work 10-12 hour days pre/post event and 6-8 per day during the event.. my main 'shift' is really 4-10pm but I gotta make sure everything is ready for that 4pm start and as such am sorta on call for various disasters related to my area from when i wake up till 10 or 11pm at night..

lotsa fun!
lotsa work..
when work is done the fun is all that much better..

plus.. having a thing to do gives the event, and day to day.. some purpose for me out there.

one can function after long hours: its just a bit slower.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby HiBbY » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:40 am

stretch80 wrote:

Thanks for the info stretch ive been getting really confused on this subject, getting a tub-ton of b.s from people over i.m and shit :::D but thanks for the help all of you :::D
HiBbY

Postby glitteranddust » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 am

You're probably getting some slack because (a) the culture which creates a general expectation that people volunteer without looking for something in return and (b) there are many people who have worked their assess off volunteering each year (some of whom don't get a gift ticket) who just don't like the idea that someone new to their department will volunteer and suddenly expect a ticket.

I got some slack here and there for receiving a discounted ticket the first year I volunteered with ESD because there's a lot of people in other departments who would've deserved it more than I did. I would not have been able to afford to go last year if I didn't have a gift ticket... however, even if I'd bought my ticket I'd still volunteer with ESD. I like it that much.

I do my normal job to some degree on the playa... so it can have moments were it can get heavy and can feel bit too default world-ish for my taste... but I love what I do in the default world so it's okay if not great most of the time, especially since I get to be part of such a great team when I'm doing it on the playa. This year I'm excited to do ESD again but trying to get really involved in other ways too to help keep it fresh and interesting. As far as volunteering goes, in my experience it doesn't matter if it's something you normally do or that's totally different- just do something that you think you would love to do and be excited about. Preferably something you'd be excited about even if you didn't end up with a ticket from it.... in many cases you might not.
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

Sober on the playa? http://www.runfreecamp.com
glitteranddust

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:16 am

I believe the word you wanted was flack -- slack being pretty much the opposite.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 pm

If you're the JR "Bob" Dobbs, then the word is definitely "slack".
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby glitteranddust » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:39 am

lol... yes, "flack". i haven't slept in days thanks to this damn cough so cut me some slack... and yes, i really do mean slack this time.... though flack might end up be accepted, too.
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows."

Sober on the playa? http://www.runfreecamp.com
glitteranddust

Return to Get Involved!