Only one ticket allowed from step?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Only one ticket allowed from step?

Postby Mosquitopilate » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:06 am

1 one uno is fine
Twitter - @BurnPlayaMan E-Mail - Mosquitopilate@yahoo.com Image
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Burning Since: 2001

Postby danibel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:10 am

vikb wrote:I would have preferred that the 10K open ticket sales were sold to anyone who applied for them as was advertised since honest burners made their ticket plans based on what they were told by BMorg.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have friends that registered for two tickets - just once, and now will probably not be able to go this year because the BMorg has not been transparent. When they initially announced the lottery (horrible idea BTW), they left out a lot of rules and clarifcations, and created a lot of uncertainty in the community. Now - we get a half baked STEP program and more angst.

How can we trust anything the BMorg says when they rewrite the rules mid-stream?
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 am

I don't think they are looking for your trust at this point.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Stephendragonfly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:41 am

As a result of this mess, I predict an awful lot more people will be applying for the low income tickets, and a fair number of those will be trying to scam it. Bums me out since that is my only way in unless something radical happens.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby danibel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I don't think they are looking for your trust at this point.

Yeah. I guess not.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Mosquitopilate » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:21 pm

When do STEP register emails start?
Thanks to all that made BM 2012 great. You people are the best on planet earth )'( )'( )'(
Mosquitopilate

Postby feistypenguin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Mosquitopilate wrote:When do STEP register emails start?

They haven't announced it yet, to my knowledge. Sometime at or before the end of the month I suppose.

Yea I don't like the one-ticket-per-registry option either, but as was mentioned in an earlier post it was the only way BMOrg could minimize further hoarding. They KNOW that people who double or triple-registered will have X many more shots at getting a ticket through STEP. Think- if someone triple-registered to increase their odds and didn't make it, would you rather give them another shot at getting up to 6 tickets, or up to 3? Which option increases your odds (however slightly) of getting one through STEP? It's a damage control maneuver IMO.

Unfortunately because of this succession of decisions by BMOrg, there is virtually no way for couples who played by the rules and lost the lottery, to get two tickets aside from the black or grey markets. I understand their motivations for the decisions they made after the lottery results, but it is a hard pill for couples to swallow. I don't spite BMOrg for trying different ways to come up with a fair system (and later to salvage the event as they envision it via direct ticket distribution), but it is hard to be positive about an event when the seemingly-simple concept of selling tickets gets this political and venomous.
After painstakingly researching the new ticket sale system, I have deduced that there is an inverse relationship between fretting about the ticket system, and the length of time one is able to stay aroused during coitus. Please spread the word!
feistypenguin

Postby JStep » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Please hold tight on any decisions regarding the 1 ticket per person message that came out recently.

I cannot give any specific information at this time.

Look for an email from the LLC shortly.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:54 pm

JStep wrote:Please hold tight on any decisions regarding the 1 ticket per person message that came out recently.

I cannot give any specific information at this time.

Look for an email from the LLC shortly.

Until STEP officially opens the Org is still looking at everything (under "It's Not Over Until the Last Ticket is Sold"):
Burning Blog wrote:[ADDED 2/15/12: 9:18 PM PST: We recognize the one-per person will dramatically effect the plans and intentions of those who originally ordered 2 tickets and didn't scam the system with a back-up order and were then rejected. We WILL look at whether there is any breathing room to this policy before we engage the final implementation. However, this decision was reached with a significant number of dependent variables and won't be easy to change.]
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby JStep » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Eric wrote:Until STEP officially opens the Org is still looking at everything (under "It's Not Over Until the Last Ticket is Sold"):

What he said.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 pm

I see Fourth of Jooplaya becoming an organized event...
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 pm

mdmf007 wrote:I see Fourth of Jooplaya becoming an organized event...

From what i understand the BLM is also looking at fourth of juplaya and wanting it to be more organized.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Herring » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57 am

feistypenguin wrote:
Mosquitopilate wrote:When do STEP register emails start?

They haven't announced it yet, to my knowledge. Sometime at or before the end of the month I suppose.

Yea I don't like the one-ticket-per-registry option either, but as was mentioned in an earlier post it was the only way BMOrg could minimize further hoarding. They KNOW that people who double or triple-registered will have X many more shots at getting a ticket through STEP. Think- if someone triple-registered to increase their odds and didn't make it, would you rather give them another shot at getting up to 6 tickets, or up to 3? Which option increases your odds (however slightly) of getting one through STEP? It's a damage control maneuver IMO.

Unfortunately because of this succession of decisions by BMOrg, there is virtually no way for couples who played by the rules and lost the lottery, to get two tickets aside from the black or grey markets. I understand their motivations for the decisions they made after the lottery results, but it is a hard pill for couples to swallow. I don't spite BMOrg for trying different ways to come up with a fair system (and later to salvage the event as they envision it via direct ticket distribution), but it is hard to be positive about an event when the seemingly-simple concept of selling tickets gets this political and venomous.

How do you horde tickets with names on them at will call? These are tickets for non-flakes who are committed to going. That horder can't even get 3 tickets, he can only get as many tickets as human beings he knows personally who need tickets.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

Postby bradtem » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:57 pm

It is a tough one for them. Of course, many people go as a pair or couple, and for one to have a ticket and not the other is not acceptable to them. On the other hand, for each couple that gets two STEP tickets that's somebody else who doesn't get to go at all. Of course, with the scarcity, everybody who gets a ticket now means somebody else who doesn't. In the extreme, tickets could go to 1,000 couples or 2,000 singles -- which is more "fair?" There is no obvious answer.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:07 pm

bradtem wrote: In the extreme, tickets could go to 1,000 couples or 2,000 singles -- which is more "fair?" There is no obvious answer.

Fair would be honoring the people who played fair in the first place by ordering only the number of tickets they needed and not gaming the system.

Otherwise, "fair" next year is going to be ticket-hoarding. There's only one way they can do this right at this point, and it's NOT to tell people that they have decide which member of the household or family gets to go to Burning Man.

If this shit comes down to the world's most exclusive singles event, it might as well just host itself in Las Vegas.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby pdmd71 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:46 am

So...I ordered 2 tickets with only one paiment = no BM 2012
See you at BM 2013 I mean perhaps...
pdmd71

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:48 am

pdmd71 wrote:So...I ordered 2 tickets with only one paiment = no BM 2012
See you at BM 2013 I mean perhaps...

This happened to friends of ours; they ordered two tickets in the original lottery but have only been billed for one. It makes them ineligible for STEP.

Have you tried contacting the BMorg office?
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Postby Mosquitopilate » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:51 pm

This is getting insane, everytime there is new news about how tickets are going to be sold it narrows my chance that I get 1 ticket,How about change a rule that helps people who wanted 1 ticket?
Mosquitopilate

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:32 pm

Mosquitopilate wrote:This is getting insane, everytime there is new news about how tickets are going to be sold it narrows my chance that I get 1 ticket,How about change a rule that helps people who wanted 1 ticket?

Do what individual ticket holders have been telling theme camps and artists all along: Cheer up, remain hopeful, don't give up until the last ticket is sold.

Individual tickets will bubble up eventually, and your lottery turn is as likely to come up as ours.
ZaphodBurner

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:34 pm

Nope. Policy change to 2 tickets per person if you registered for 2 as of today.

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/news ... cy-change/
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Herring » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:32 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Nope. Policy change to 2 tickets per person if you registered for 2 as of today.

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/02/news ... cy-change/

Yay! I'm still not banking on STEP, but I'm happy for any couples this does help.
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion