YOUR THEME CAMP ISN'T THAT IMPORTANT .. and other thoughts.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: YOUR THEME CAMP ISN'T THAT IMPORTANT .. and other though

Postby A Jester » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:06 pm

essjay wrote:
Frankly, some theme camps are THAT important. They make BM what it is.

I respect your opinion, but don't agree with it at all. They make BM what it was last year. It was BM before that camp was there, it will be BM after that camp is gone.

Without the bigger installations, BM is just 50,000 people camping next to each other. Large camps need 6-10 months to prepare and we need them out there. No offense to the virgins or smaller camps like mine, who come out in their RV or tents, 5-50 people strong, but, the truth is, I have been coming to the playa year after year to see things like what the Flaming Lotus Girls do, or Dan Das Mann, or Peter Hudson, or Opulent, or Alex Grey, etc (the list is long). No offense, but I'm not so excited when somebody wears their special blinky lights on Friday or is showing off their new poi moves.

There's a big difference between Temple or FLG and a theme camp. Art installations get tickets. Theme camps don't. (until this year, I guess...)

There really is a difference. We need those big camps out there, and to say that they are not deserving of being assured tickets is a failure to understand the strategic effort that it takes to get those larger camps out there and what they mean to the event itself. I'm not happy with the lottery, but I'm glad BMORG is doing what they can at this point to assure that there aren't just 50,000 people wandering around wondering what all the fuss is about if the event ends up looking like nothing more than a local rave.

I'm involved in a camp that's been coming out for more than a decade. I'd be happy to see BM with no large theme camps, or no theme camps that were there last year, or no theme camps that got special tickets.

I'm not criticizing the people that decided to give out the tickets this way - they had a hard job that I don't want. They came to a difficult decision after more thought than I've put into it. However, I would have preferred to see "theme camps" crash and burn this year. Not because I don't love them, but because I think BM is both art and an experiment. If you're not willing to risk failure, you're not really pushing your boundaries.

Unlike a Gate line that takes two days, or $1,000 tickets, this particular experiment was pretty organic, didn't threaten to kill the event, but may have reduced demand next year.

Also, I love being a part of a shitshow.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby A Jester » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Galaxo Magic wrote:
vargaso wrote:I love the "I got a bullhorn" camps. Sometimes the guy/gal (but really, guy) yelling into it is hilarious and clever, sometimes he's a drunk yutz. Either way, just the idea of a bullhorn is hilarious.

Just a wild guess vargaso, have you been to the Burn less than 3 times? LOL
I think we've all thought that was funny. We did the bullhorn thing a couple of years as well. My old camp from 10 years ago still has one they use. I am over the bullhorns now, though they can still be hilarious if the person is witty.

You get how this seems contradictory, right?
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:13 pm

A Jester wrote:However, I would have preferred to see "theme camps" crash and burn this year. Not because I don't love them, but because I think BM is both art and an experiment. If you're not willing to risk failure, you're not really pushing your boundaries.

I agree. Not that I haven't said so, but I think it bears repeating...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Marscrumbs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 am

ehcsztein wrote:
clerkkent wrote: reactivate train service to Gerlach

Hmmmmmmm...

This concept has my mind reeling with potential though in my my near drunken state I am in no condition to work on logistics.

Gut thought is figuring a way to utilize the rails near the playa with on playa transport to shuttle folks into the event without the need for more cars on 447.

I know other festivals offer shuttle type service (Boom for example) and there may just be potential in Black Rock Railways to help mitigate future issues before they develop.

Great post as well but this simple notion has inspired me.

I'll volunteer to join a team to lay down the last few kilometers of track to BRC if it gets me a ticket.
Marscrumbs

Postby ygmir » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:30 am

Marscrumbs wrote:
ehcsztein wrote:
clerkkent wrote: reactivate train service to Gerlach

Hmmmmmmm...

This concept has my mind reeling with potential though in my my near drunken state I am in no condition to work on logistics.

Gut thought is figuring a way to utilize the rails near the playa with on playa transport to shuttle folks into the event without the need for more cars on 447.

I know other festivals offer shuttle type service (Boom for example) and there may just be potential in Black Rock Railways to help mitigate future issues before they develop.

Great post as well but this simple notion has inspired me.

I'll volunteer to join a team to lay down the last few kilometers of track to BRC if it gets me a ticket.

this may be more effective:

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Galaxo Magic » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:38 am

A Jester wrote:
Galaxo Magic wrote:
vargaso wrote:I love the "I got a bullhorn" camps. Sometimes the guy/gal (but really, guy) yelling into it is hilarious and clever, sometimes he's a drunk yutz. Either way, just the idea of a bullhorn is hilarious.

I think we've all thought that was funny. We did the bullhorn thing a couple of years as well. My old camp from 10 years ago still has one they use. I am over the bullhorns now, though they can still be hilarious if the person is witty.

Absolutely
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby alt12 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Galaxo Magic wrote:

I fucking hate the bullhorns. And we have 2. They're like nuclear weapons. You have to have one because everyone has one.... It is a rare rare burner that can use one without coming across as a douchebag and as an absurd generalalization I would say anyone under the age of 35 comes across as a douchebag fratboy with one of those in their hands.... Not because they are douchebag fratboys but because of the very particular sound of a male vocal chords in their 20s under amplification...

no offense intended...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby A Jester » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Galaxo Magic wrote:
A Jester wrote:

Absolutely

*brofist*

right on.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
A Jester

Postby BurningBrothers » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:27 pm

I agree with you jcliff. Change is inevitable. Yes, like many others I was not the happiest person after the ticket distribution but I have moved on and embraced the change. Change, or we can refer to it as an 'evolution' for those who fear change, is not always bad.
BurningBrothers

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion