Random question for burners with pets.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Random question for burners with pets.

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:31 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:i apologize, i have two kitties myself that i love dearly.

i often dress them in little burning man outfits.

they hate me.

:lol: I am sure they try to suffocate you in your sleep.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 pm

Herring wrote:Why can't you board them at a kennel "cat hotel"? You can use your vet or I bet there's good ones near the airport in your city. No strangers in your house and liscenced professionals keep your kitties happy and healthy.

Granted I'm a dog person but it amazes you cat people leave your pets alone for longer than overnight.

Well one thing is the cost, and I wouldnt want strangers in my place. I would most likely reach out to friends but in the event that I couldn't find anyone I don't think I could kennel my kitties. Dogs are more social and it's easier for at least most dogs to have a little doggy vacation somewhere but for cats just the process of boxing them up in carriers and hauling them to somewhere and having people they've never seen before put them in small rooms they've never been in could be more psychologically damaging than leaving them to chill out in a house they are comfortable in.
XnightmarekittenX

Postby VultureChow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:52 pm

XnightmarekittenX wrote:
Herring wrote:Why can't you board them at a kennel "cat hotel"? You can use your vet or I bet there's good ones near the airport in your city. No strangers in your house and liscenced professionals keep your kitties happy and healthy.

Granted I'm a dog person but it amazes you cat people leave your pets alone for longer than overnight.

Well one thing is the cost, and I wouldnt want strangers in my place. I would most likely reach out to friends but in the event that I couldn't find anyone I don't think I could kennel my kitties. Dogs are more social and it's easier for at least most dogs to have a little doggy vacation somewhere but for cats just the process of boxing them up in carriers and hauling them to somewhere and having people they've never seen before put them in small rooms they've never been in could be more psychologically damaging than leaving them to chill out in a house they are comfortable in.

My dog goes to a doggy day camp where they do overnight boarding. He loves it. Used to take cat to kitty hotel, but he hated it. Now the dog walker comes in every other day to check on the cat while I'm away.

You have some amount of time to build a level of trust with someone else: friend, coworker, professional pet sitter. I understand the discomfort. I took a while to get over the discomfort, but I did it for my dog.

This will sound weird or elitist, but I have an easier time with a paid sitter or walker. I got references, she is bonded, but there is also a power structure there that makes you , the customer, on higher footing. I would feel uncomfortable about asking my friends, or neighbors, or family except in extreme emergency to go into my home when I am not there. But someone I employ feels easier to deal with for some reason.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:04 pm

VultureChow wrote:
XnightmarekittenX wrote:

My dog goes to a doggy day camp where they do overnight boarding. He loves it. Used to take cat to kitty hotel, but he hated it. Now the dog walker comes in every other day to check on the cat while I'm away.

You have some amount of time to build a level of trust with someone else: friend, coworker, professional pet sitter. I understand the discomfort. I took a while to get over the discomfort, but I did it for my dog.

This will sound weird or elitist, but I have an easier time with a paid sitter or walker. I got references, she is bonded, but there is also a power structure there that makes you , the customer, on higher footing. I would feel uncomfortable about asking my friends, or neighbors, or family except in extreme emergency to go into my home when I am not there. But someone I employ feels easier to deal with for some reason.

I see where you are coming from, the cost is a big issue for me as well though. Also the friend I have in mind was also my roommate so there is complete trust there as well as the fact that the cats are familiar with her, they tend to freak out around new faces. Although if she couldn't do it I would definitely save up and go the 'professional checking the house' route as opposed to a kennel.
XnightmarekittenX

Postby VultureChow » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:17 pm

XnightmarekittenX wrote:I see where you are coming from, the cost is a big issue for me as well though. Also the friend I have in mind was also my roommate so there is complete trust there as well as the fact that the cats are familiar with her, they tend to freak out around new faces. Although if she couldn't do it I would definitely save up and go the 'professional checking the house' route as opposed to a kennel.

You don't need someone every day unless there's a medical issue in play. Cats can easily be left alone for a weekend. Mine comes in every other day (Monday Wednesday Friday) and skips the weekend, and is not cheap, even for this area, but $17 every other day isn't too bad. And infinitely cheaper than boarding.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:23 pm

VultureChow wrote:
XnightmarekittenX wrote:I see where you are coming from, the cost is a big issue for me as well though. Also the friend I have in mind was also my roommate so there is complete trust there as well as the fact that the cats are familiar with her, they tend to freak out around new faces. Although if she couldn't do it I would definitely save up and go the 'professional checking the house' route as opposed to a kennel.

You don't need someone every day unless there's a medical issue in play. Cats can easily be left alone for a weekend. Mine comes in every other day (Monday Wednesday Friday) and skips the weekend, and is not cheap, even for this area, but $17 every other day isn't too bad. And infinitely cheaper than boarding.

Yeah even when my friend watched them last year she only came by every other day or so, I guess I didn't really have an idea of the cost 17$ per day isn't too bad. But I guess it's circumstantial
XnightmarekittenX

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:10 pm

When I was a kid we would leave the cats with lots of food and water, and ask a trustworthy neighbor to check in on them every other day or so; give cuddles; change the food and water, maybe watch a show on television & have some snacks (if they had the time) and leave. We always left more food and water than was necessary in case the neighbor forgot a day, or got sick or something. There wasn't really an exchange of cash, as the next time the neighbor was on vacation we'd water their garden and keep an eye on the place. Offering future services of the same or similar value is a smart thing to do. It was pretty simple.

Dogs need daily company of longer duration and frequency (live-in dogsitter, or being boarded somewhere) but cats seemed fine, and were way better off than if they were put in a . . . cat hotel.

Animals don't like it when their owners go on vacation, but . . . what are you going to do, NOT go on vacation? :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby unjonharley » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:22 pm

]
The Compay I worked for was called on a insurance claim..

This family had a burglar alarm installed in there house.
They set the new alarm and went out to dinner.
Left the 14 year old dog in the house.
Dog stepped on the entrance mat.
Set the alarm off..For a couple of hours.
Dog had the Hershey squirts all over the house.
Took a cleaning crew two day to clean up the "shit."
Now, that's what you call a shit fit..
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:29 pm

As others have suggested, don't leave your pets alone while you're away. If you can't find a friend or relative, look into hiring a petsitter or book them into a kennel. If you can't afford to take care of your pets while you're away, you should reconsider whether you can afford to go away in the first place.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:52 pm

I have to say that I am very disappointed with this thread. These questions are not in the least bit random.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:15 am

I have a house sitter for my fish Harold and Mildred.
He lives in a mid century ( chrome based) blender.
She live in a converted gumball machine..
unjonharley

Postby Minxy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:25 am

I drive my two dogs back to my ex-husband's house up in OR and multi-task that with a visit to OR friends and family. I pick them up after the burn.

My cats I leave at home and have a super awesome professional dog walker/pet sitter/trainer come in every 2-3 days to get the mail, feed and water and play with cats, switch the lights that are on in the house around and water my plants. $15.00 bucks for a 30 minute visit, what a deal!

I've used the same guy for a few years now and he's excellent.

He's actually offered to come every day and watch the dogs as well (spending some nights here) but I think my dogs are WAY happier going up to visit my ex-husband and spending time with the "other pack."
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 am

trilobyte wrote:As others have suggested, don't leave your pets alone while you're away. If you can't find a friend or relative, look into hiring a petsitter or book them into a kennel. If you can't afford to take care of your pets while you're away, you should reconsider whether you can afford to go away in the first place.

This, seriously.

And if you can't sort out this problem by yourself, you should seriously reconsider coming to BRC. it really is not for everybody.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
trilobyte wrote:As others have suggested, don't leave your pets alone while you're away. If you can't find a friend or relative, look into hiring a petsitter or book them into a kennel. If you can't afford to take care of your pets while you're away, you should reconsider whether you can afford to go away in the first place.

This, seriously.

And if you can't sort out this problem by yourself, you should seriously reconsider coming to BRC. it really is not for everybody.

I'm not saying I can't figure it out. I just want a second opinion is all. I had a housesitter last year everything was fine I just wanted to see what other people do for their animals.
XnightmarekittenX

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:28 am

im sorry, but if you cant be radically self reliant to take care of your fucking cats than maybe just maybe you should reconsider your vacation

stupidest thread EVER.

seriously.

ok i'm done, i have to go throw up a hair ball.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby remi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:09 am

If you only need cats to be looked after, you can have someone drop by your house once a day to check food, water, kitty litter. If you have a dog, you need a house sitter. I have a dog, 2 cats and a snake and I have a really good friend of mine stay over at my place while i'm away and when I get back I take him out to a fancy dinner... of give him skrillex tickets.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:im sorry, but if you cant be radically self reliant to take care of your fucking cats than maybe just maybe you should reconsider your vacation

stupidest thread EVER.

seriously.

ok i'm done, i have to go throw up a hair ball.

Stupid? More boring than anything. Geez.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:00 pm

i stand corrected.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Then don't fucking read it, go to another thread and quit picking on people. Sheesh.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Hey XnightmarekittenX, to know Simon is to love him. Once you get to meet him face to face, you'll want to twist his little head off like a bottle cap!
I love you Simon! :D
Sham

Postby illy dilly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:03 pm

In the Kitchen:

In the Bathroom:

Done and Done!!!!!

Just kidding. Honestly, cal your vet. Ask them if they know anyone that u can pay to watch your house. Hopefully your vet isn't far from your house, and a vet tech will do it. The vet techs I know all watch houses on the weekends, cause their day job doesn't pay real well. They charge more if they have to do something special like give the animal medication.
And since it is slightly tied to their job, they wont screw around and throw a party or anything.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 pm

illy dilly wrote:The vet techs I know all watch houses on the weekends, cause their day job doesn't pay real well. They charge more if they have to do something special like give the animal medication.
And since it is slightly tied to their job, they wont screw around and throw a party or anything.

Whaat? That is truly valuable information. I had no idea this was a Thing.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm

It's still early. You have time to cultivate a friendship with somneone who is responsible enough to care for your critters.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby illy dilly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Savannah wrote:
illy dilly wrote:The vet techs I know all watch houses on the weekends, cause their day job doesn't pay real well. They charge more if they have to do something special like give the animal medication.

Whaat? That is truly valuable information. I had no idea this was a Thing.

O yeah!
I've known Vet techs that make more money house sitting than they do at their day job. Especially for the 'well to do' that have old dogs that need medical help daily, "who better to give that dog his daily suppository than the same person that ends up doing it at the vet office"

Luckly, our cats our healthy and very un-picky. If we're going to be gone for less than 48 hours we just give them a huge pile of food, and extra water.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Major Krash » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm

I arrange for a friend to come by, but assume they will not. I have a dog and a cat. I have little cat doors through-out most of the house (that the dog cannot get through), and I create "cat only" zones and "shared zones". There is a dog door to the outside fenced in yard that both can get into. I leave tons of water (10 days worth at least), and a few days dry food (more for my cat since she won't gorge). Whichever friend I choose usually stops by at least 3-4 times, and re-fills the bowls I started with, so it seems to work out. This may not work for you since my cat has always done her business outdoors, so no litter box. Resilient critters, our pets. Still, I worry each year (I used the esplanade phone this year to call my sitter first)
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: tbd

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks!
XnightmarekittenX

Postby Oldguy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:10 pm

My dog's vet boarding costs 10 bucks a day, 10 days- a hundred bucks...worth the peace of mind. :)
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby gyre » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:28 pm

$35-$75 a day here.

$100+ a day for a cat comfortable place, if you can find one.

Why are people in high cost/high wage areas so clueless about the rest of the country?
Relative cost is very high here.
gyre

Postby ragabashpup » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Man I wish I could get boarding for 10 a day. Luckily my mother watches my dog and my brother comes and makes sure the rats are fed.
For a cat I do not recommend vet boarding if you can help it. Find a boarder that actually lets them out of their cage and let them wander.
Ragabadger don't give a shit.
ragabashpup

Postby Marscrumbs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 pm

I brought my pet minnow to the Green Man. She didn't last a day.
Marscrumbs

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks