2012 QUEER BURNER Leadership Summit in SF 3/16

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

2012 QUEER BURNER Leadership Summit in SF 3/16

Postby toaster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Details and Schedule of events: http://gayburners.com/burning-man-queer ... hip-summit

Cost: Sliding scale will be asking for $25.00 / attendee for food and event expenses. No one who wishes to participate will be turned down for lack of funds.

The QB has some pretty amazing projects on the horizon and there is hope not only to see folks & other people of the LGBT+ elements of Burning Man turn out:

[b]March 16th to the 18th the "1st of its kind Queer Burners Leadership Summit" in San Francisco. Register today and see the current agenda linked on http://www.queerburners.com .... Not Queer? Not Gay? Not...? Your participation will make our community stronger.[/b]

[i]WE the queers, in a formidable and fierce union, live by the 10 principles on and off the playa. There is a passive attitude by a lot of people on how and where the Queer Burner Culture fits into the Burner Culture as a whole. We are radically inclusive even if it is on the D-L (down-low) but offer a lot to the culture and are not always recognized for it.[/i]

These Leadership Events are places where the growing and expressive LGBT+ participants of Burning Man can gain a stronger voice for our Queer Culture and our community at-large that is not limited by the boundaries of a sexual orientation.

Not flag waving. Not marching in a circle with a rainbow flag. Just looking around seeing the LGBT+ influence and looking for a stronger place or even looking at BMHQ to [i]potentially [/i]consider Regional Contacts for Queer Burners.

Queer? Some see this word as derogatory? Some see this as mutually inclusive? Whatever power this word has it is empowering to use it in a positive mission.

Bottom line... this is about community. Participation and active self motivation is what makes Burning Man work because it is built by the people there and using the 10 Principles as a guide (this and more is explained further on the web site).

Join in if this is your thing and you want to make a difference. We are not looking to swim in the dark waters of politics, just to have a voice in the game. We can do this in unity and support each other with community events, fund raising camp to camp or with charity work, cross promotion and general support.

Thanks for reading and join in if motivated. Please share and invite others along. Join our Facebook (linked on site) or follow on Twitter (@queer_burners)

Scott aka Toaster
http://www.queerburners.com
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

(Living life running with scissors in my hand, wearing a plastic helmet and teethe-guard)
toaster

Re: 2012 1st of its kind QUEER BURNER Leadership Summit 3/16

Postby toaster » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:50 am

Hi Folks - we are a month out from Day #1 of the Summit and with great joy and excitement the event is coming together nicely!!! The venue will be announced by the end of the week with some added speakers. AND! Our friends at Comfort & Joy will have their Go Touch event that Saturday night. If you could pay the $25 registration fee or the sliding scale amount to what you can afford to paypal to email address scott@art23design.com this will cover food, venue and beverages plus other costs. Any amount collected over costs will go back into our community. There will be breakfast items (pastries, coffee and tea) and food for lunch; a vegetarian choice and a meat choice. Please check in on the event page for ongoing details and announcements.
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

(Living life running with scissors in my hand, wearing a plastic helmet and teethe-guard)
toaster

Re: 2012 1st of its kind QUEER BURNER Leadership Summit 3/16

Postby toaster » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:31 pm

About to sign the agreement for the venue and are very excited. The schedule is being updated and we are looking for your input. Many of the subjects added to the page are directly from the Theme Camp Meeting this week at BMorg. We want to place emphisis on LNT, Enculturation for Burgins, 10 principles and so much more. This is ideal for any leader or proactive member to make great contacts and network for a stronger community. As usual ... QUEER is not a bad thing or is it limited to any sexual orientation.
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

toaster

Re: 2012 QUEER BURNER Leadership Summit in SF 3/16

Postby joshuaj » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:19 pm

I just want to thank you and try to express how much it meant to me to read this on the Leadership Summit invite in JRS:

The one VERY IMPORTANT thing to remember is the word Queer before any of these terms is NOT EXCLUSIVE and not derogatory. We have some great hetero or hetero-adjacent friends that are a part of the community of all genders.

Given the circles I tend to hang out in, I'm often the only straight guy in the room, and it can be tough when even my friends treat me as an outsider due to my orientation. I recognize that I haven't had to face the issues of prejudice and privilege imbalance that people of alternative gender or sexuality deal with regularly, but it still hurts to constantly run up against attitudes like this.

At Burning Man, unlike in the default world, I've almost universally felt welcomed as a friend and ally by the Queer community, but it wasn't until you expressed it so directly that I realized how much it meant to me. So once again, thank you so much for being so open-minded and accepting of all sorts of people!
joshuaj

Postby toaster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:07 pm

QUEER BURNER LEADERSHIP SUMMIT WRAP UP REPORT:
http://gayburners.com/2012-qbls
Toaster
San Francisco, CA
www.sunguardians.net and
www.queerburners.com

toaster

Postby toaster » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:54 pm

For a report on the Summit: http://gayburners.com/2012-qbls

Additional Info: http://gayburners.com/burning-man-leadership-summit-3

We had a very successful event.

:)
toaster

Return to Regionals & Events