Diving right in!

Diving right in!

Postby Alyk182 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:23 pm

EYYyyyy Burners!
My name is Kyla, I am currently situated in Cedar Rapids, IA. Though I was born in Texas, I've lived in Michigan most of my life, and I plan on moving near Chicago in the near future. I like to bead and cook and play tennis in my spare time, and while I haven't taken any classes yet, I plan to be a massage therapist (probably starting school once I make my way to Chicaka)!! I very much love to joke and try not to take life too seriously. Nothing means more to me than my friends and family, and hopefully I'll make lifelong bonds within the community this year. :lol:

I am so lucky and grateful I got tickets!! I've known a few people who have experienced the playa, and have psyched myself out of going for the past couple of years, what with all the planning and inexperience with week long camping. BUT NOT THIS YEAR! I'm diving right in and doing as much planning as I possibly can! None of my friends were able to acquire tickets, and while their experience would be very helpful on this journey, I AM NOT PHASED!!!! I know I probably will never be as prepared as I should be, and I'm quite alright with that! I'm looking forward to the mistakes I make.
I am not volunteering this year, I've been advised against it, since it's my first year. Although, I do plan on volunteering at Lakes of Fire, and if it turns out a camp needs my help in Nevada, I could never turn down the offer. I'm really excited about all the gifting!! I do have some ideas for myself; my participation, my jokes and humor, my beads, cooking for more than just myself, and of course my back massages. I have a few more ideas... but SHH! It's a secret!!!

I cannot express how excited I am for this!
I can't wait to get to know all of you!
Alyk182

Re: Diving right in!

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Glad you are here! Congrats on the ticket, no small feat this year. Read the survival guide, then read it again. Lots of really good stuff in the prep threads. Just holler if you get lost and someone will help out.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby SquirrelHead » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Awesome news that you were able to get tickets!! Read everything you can here, there is a ton of great information on what you should and should not do. I think you already have some good and fun ideas for this year. Welcome!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Kevinochi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Awesome news on the tickets!!! Hope to see you on the Playa Kyla!
Waffles taste better slightly burned...
Kevinochi

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby jkisha » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:32 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Hi Kyla! Sounds like you have a lot of great ideas. :D Welcome.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Elliot » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Ahah! One of the interlopers who stole our tickets! Break out the torches and pitchforks! :twisted:

Just kidding, Kyla. Sounds like you will make a wonderful Burner. You might want to concentrate on gifting your humor cooking and massage, and save the beads for those who will truly appreciate such a souvenir. Welcome! :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Agreed. A hot meal or a massage out there are wonderful. Burner jewelry can be a great thing too (I'm a fan, especially if there is a Man/Burn theme and the year--personally). But the gift of an Experience is hard to top. They are the best memories, later.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Introduce Yourself!