Craigslist Douche Bags - So it begins

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Craigslist Douche Bags - So it begins

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:52 am

sattelite5812 wrote:So the Org is, in fact, revoking tickets being scalped? Please confirm, along with what specific info is needed to stop the scalping. I'll help keep an eye online

I know for sure they've done it at least once. They can't touch stubhub and the like, but they can go after individuals.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby hotmess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:43 am

UPDATE - the posting has been removed.
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby Smenkare » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 pm

[quote="jkisha"][quote="The CO"]So.....

Don't buy them.

Or do.

Or maybe, report them to the ticket people at burningman.com.[/quote]
Nothing they can do. Scalping is legal in Nevada.[/quote]

Scalpig may be legal in Nevada, but as far as I know, BORG is based out of Sanfrancisco, CA and the tickets were on a Craigslist ad for NYC. If the scalper scalped the tickets outside the state of Nevada, does the law still apply?
That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
Smenkare

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:10 pm

They will sell them to someone who will appreciate them and they will go to Burning Man and have a great time.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby 48_love » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Anti-scalper vigilantes, lol.

Where else can you get two tickets?

At this point, scalping is Communal Effort turned on its head. Nothing is what it seems anymore (it never was anyway). No need to demonize rational actors acting rationally. The BMORG already made a decision that some Principles take precedent over others. When one network fails, another can emerge to take its place. Enter StubHub and Craigslist. Reality is a bitch!
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby vargaso » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Smenkare wrote:
jkisha wrote:
The CO wrote:So.....

Don't buy them.

Or do.

Or maybe, report them to the ticket people at burningman.com.

Nothing they can do. Scalping is legal in Nevada.

Scalpig may be legal in Nevada, but as far as I know, BORG is based out of Sanfrancisco, CA and the tickets were on a Craigslist ad for NYC. If the scalper scalped the tickets outside the state of Nevada, does the law still apply?

The terms of service state specifically that the BMORG can revoke a ticket for any reason it sees fit, and scalping sure would be one of those. As stated elsewhere, the best method is to call the number, ask for the ticket confirmation number so that you can verify with BM that it's real, once you get that number, report it to BM, the will most likely revoke the ticket and refund the money to the buyer, placing that ticket into STEP. Or the double secret special theme camps, who knows.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:30 pm

vargaso wrote:The terms of service state specifically that the BMORG can revoke a ticket for any reason it sees fit, and scalping sure would be one of those. As stated elsewhere, the best method is to call the number, ask for the ticket confirmation number so that you can verify with BM that it's real, once you get that number, report it to BM, the will most likely revoke the ticket and refund the money to the buyer, placing that ticket into STEP. Or the double secret special theme camps, who knows.

That's a great idea, but they'll probably not sell it to you, or give you the number.

And if they don't want to give you the number, that's the first clue that it's a sketchy deal no matter what, which is why you would want to report to the Org immediately anyway.

All it will take is a few, or at least the most aggressive, scalpers to get burned and it will help. So, everybody, PLEASE:

Ask for the ticket confirmation number before you buy a ticket. If they can't give it to you, it's probably a scam or a scalper.

:idea: Idea... A scalper report hotline, so the tickets can be stopped quickly before the scalper sells it to somebody else. The reward for reporting a scalper could be the ticket itself, at face value.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Odysseus » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:32 pm

At this point, scalping is Communal Effort turned on its head. Nothing is what it seems anymore (it never was anyway). No need to demonize rational actors acting rationally. The BMORG already made a decision that some Principles take precedent over others. When one network fails, another can emerge to take its place. Enter StubHub and Craigslist. Reality is a bitch!

I've given this a lot of thought myself and what I've come to realize is that although it does represent 'rational players acting rationally' in a certain purely economical sense, what isn't taken into account is the mixed incentives that this sort of behavior causes. For example, when an 'arbitrageur' [read, scalper] sells a ticket for double the face value, they pocket the additional money. So, of the total sale price, perhaps 5% goes to the BM org, 15% goes to BRC infrastructure, 30% to BM artists and camps, and 50% goes to the scalper. So what you create is not an incentive to contribute to the quality of the event in any way, but instead a strong incentive to hawkishly profit from other people's efforts. Allowing this to continue will not only alienate many of the community who cannot afford such expensive tickets, it will also significantly reduce the utility gained from the BM experience for those who can. Part of the enjoyment of any paid-for good is in the difference between what you gave up and what you got. If we allow the tickets to cost exactly what people are willing and able to pay, then that enjoyment factor goes down considerably... So any way you look at it, outside of the black/white nonsense arena of utilitarian economics, this trend will damage Burning Man until something is put in place to stop it.
Odysseus

Postby Smenkare » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Checked CL for major cities in PA, CA, WA, TX and NY, I think I saw maybe 1 ticket that was "possibly a scalper ticket" everything else was Face Value only or up for trade (cochella tix, art, an extra ticket to someone who would share their motor home and camp experience...)

One hour, twice a week up until burn time I'm checking various ticket resale sites, Craigslist and ebay and trolling for scalper tickets.

It's our event. Our ideals. Lets protect them.
Smenkare

Postby hotmess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm with you!!!! We are here to serve and protect (without brutal force). We just need to use our finger tips!
hotmess

Postby vargaso » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:44 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
vargaso wrote:The terms of service state specifically that the BMORG can revoke a ticket for any reason it sees fit, and scalping sure would be one of those. As stated elsewhere, the best method is to call the number, ask for the ticket confirmation number so that you can verify with BM that it's real, once you get that number, report it to BM, the will most likely revoke the ticket and refund the money to the buyer, placing that ticket into STEP. Or the double secret special theme camps, who knows.

That's a great idea, but they'll probably not sell it to you, or give you the number.

And if they don't want to give you the number, that's the first clue that it's a sketchy deal no matter what, which is why you would want to report to the Org immediately anyway.

All it will take is a few, or at least the most aggressive, scalpers to get burned and it will help. So, everybody, PLEASE:

Ask for the ticket confirmation number before you buy a ticket. If they can't give it to you, it's probably a scam or a scalper.

:idea: Idea... A scalper report hotline, so the tickets can be stopped quickly before the scalper sells it to somebody else. The reward for reporting a scalper could be the ticket itself, at face value.

Agreed on all counts. If you buy from anywhere but STEP and don't get the confirmation number before sending money (even if it's at face value), then you're a fool. If the person will not give you the number, then it's either a scam (they don't have the ticket confirmation and/or ticket) or it's a scalper waiting to find a buyer who doesn't ask for the number so they can be sure it won't get reported. Report it as best you can, although without the number, it's tough to identify.
vargaso

Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby 48_love » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 pm

Odysseus wrote:So, of the total sale price, perhaps 5% goes to the BM org, 15% goes to BRC infrastructure, 30% to BM artists and camps, and 50% goes to the scalper ... Part of the enjoyment of any paid-for good is in the difference between what you gave up and what you got.

How are the percentages of total sales cost relevant and to whom? If I can't go I contribute nothing. If I go and build something, I have Participated. The ability to do so has always been uneven. Scalping isn;t the problem; scaricty is. Trying to control the actions of others is ridiculous. Getting between people meeting trying meet mutual needs is difficult. Scapling prohibitions become just about as moot as drug prohibitions.

The second part frames the ticket as a commodity which is my point. The genie is out of the bottle, so good luck to anyone trying to put it back.

I won't scalp a ticket because $390 was the most I was going to pay, period.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Odysseus wrote:. So what you create is not an incentive to contribute to the quality of the event in any way, but instead a strong incentive to hawkishly profit from other people's efforts...

Yes! You just described the "American Way."
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Postby Ruleryak » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:The llc has managed to get some pertinent information on some of these sales and pulled the tickets. Might as well let them try.

Can you please provide proof of this? People keep saying it but so far I've seen nothing at all from the LLC indicating that they're doing anything of the sort. Maid Marian's flat out said they aren't revoking any tickets or redoing the lottery - that sales are final - so I'm not sure where this is idea is coming from. The anti-scalper "scrubbing" happened prior to billing and awarding tickets - not during or after.

It's legal to scalp in NV - period. The LLC wouldn't have the legal justification needed to pull a ticket for scalping. I'm sure they try to go after fake ticket sellers/scammers, but scalpers are within their legal rights to resell tickets for whatever value they decide.
Last edited by Ruleryak on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13 - 14 Soon!
Ruleryak

Postby Colonel Monk » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:09 pm

hotmess wrote:I'm with you!!!! We are here to serve and protect (without brutal force). We just need to use our finger tips!

Disagree.

If it comes to it, I'm going to meet a scalper from CL face to face for the exchange, give him face value, and TAKE the ticket from them no matter what. Let them try to go to the police and cry about how I paid him the proper amount.

Let it be known, that we aren't fucking about and we WILL take care of our communites.

That stubhub bullshit is another story...
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby Stephendragonfly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:11 pm

I saw an ad on craigslist by someone with four tickets claiming to be burners. Here is the text,
"Our group ended up with FOUR tickets to Burning Man, but are now reconsidering our options. Given that many camps are having a hard time getting together, here's a chance to get a bunch of you together... We're open for trades and/or cash offers... Whatcha got? "

I wrote to these folks asking them to please put the tickets into STEP rather than sell/trade. The Burners I have met, if they had extra tickets, wouldn't end up on Craigslist at all, they would go through their network of friends to sell the tickets at cost. Although I am suspicious of the people who put up this ad, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and not flag them for removal.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby hotmess » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Colonel Monk wrote:If it comes to it, I'm going to meet a scalper from CL face to face for the exchange, give him face value, and TAKE the ticket from them no matter what.

When you put it that way .. . . . that sounds like a great idea!
hotmess

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 pm

hotmess wrote:
Colonel Monk wrote:If it comes to it, I'm going to meet a scalper from CL face to face for the exchange, give him face value, and TAKE the ticket from them no matter what.

That is exactly my plan.
ZaphodBurner

Postby Smenkare » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Scalping is very Capitalistic, and we live in a capitalistic society, I have a hard time picturing an individual getting a fair shake with local law enforcement if they meet a scalper face to face and pay "face value" for a ticket and then take it by force/intimidation tactics even if the scalper is doing something morally reprehensible but marginally legal.

That said, if I get the option to meet a scalper face to face, I'm going to examine the ticket, or at least demand to see it (and Photo ID of the person selling it), write down the serial# and Driver's License #, offer said scalper face value for the ticket and if they decline, report the serial # and the individual for violation of the T's and C's. And in "theory" that ticket will go back into the pool and some other burner will get it.

Fight non-violent crimes with non-violent "legal" opposition. After-all, what have you got to loose? (nothing, you don't have a ticket) and what have they got to loose? (the ticket and the money they paid for it as well as what they hoped to sell it for.)

Even if I GET a ticket through Step or from a camp mate. I'm still going scalper seeking, because it gives the chance to another burner out there to get a ticket without feeding greed, and it defends the principles I hold as a burner.
Smenkare

Postby trilobyte » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Scalper-wise, the numbers remain incredibly low (compared with other 'hot ticket' events). Taking a quick look at the sites I've been measuring weekly, there are only 112 Burning Man tickets available (that's 4 down from before the open sale was canceled). Any number above zero is more than I'd like to see, of course, but it's still a good sign.

Please continue to use restraint, avoiding either lynch mob threads or posting links to ticket sales or auctions on 3rd party sites (even if it's in outrage, we don't want to give them any additional page views). More info on the subject coming in the next day or two.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ZaphodBurner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Smenkare wrote:Scalping is very Capitalistic, and we live in a capitalistic society, I have a hard time picturing an individual getting a fair shake with local law enforcement if they meet a scalper face to face and pay "face value" for a ticket

I thought about this too. That's why you should wear a costume.

"Well...um...he had blue hair, pink star-shaped sunglasses, a bondage harness and...uh...goat leggings... You say he only gave you $320 for a ticket that says $320 on it."
"Yeah, but, I wanted $600 for it."
"You wanted $600 for a $320 ticket. If he was robbing you, why would he give you any money at all...this guy in goat leggings?
"Well...yeah..."
"Son, have you been drinking or using drugs? Do you have any outstanding warrants?"

The fact is, you'll probably do more time for possession or distribution of controlled substances than you will for liberating a ticket and giving the guy the price listed on it. Doesn't seem to stop burners from droppin' it on the playa.
ZaphodBurner

Postby socks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Once the tickets are shipped then you will see all the tickets up for sale but not on s.t.e.p.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby jkisha » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:35 pm

socks wrote:Once the tickets are shipped then you will see all the tickets up for sale but not on s.t.e.p.

Yup. And I'm betting not many will be at face value either.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby pink » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:53 pm

But getting the serial number into the Borg's database will flag the name, email, cc number and any other pertinent info as a scalper. The scalper will be flagged for 2013 sales, so reporting them after the tix have shipped is as important as before.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby moonrise » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:59 pm

@pink, sounds like you have the full scoop and I take your post as the best method so far, but...

some of us don't have easy transportation options. :x

What about sending the scalper on a wild goose chase? As in no show and waste their time (during rush hour and other rotten times to meet up).
I know it isn't the best option, but it may be helpful.

Or what if we (as in 100's of us, lurkers too!) flood their ad(s) with 100's if not 1000's of requests to meet and buy the ticket. Would that screw them up?

Please advise...as I am not a fucking scalper type and have no idea what is the best method for fucking them over and teaching them a legal lesson (stay away from Burning Man, ya assholes).

Use a sock if ya gotta answer with (legal) agro ideas, but I think there's much much more (than passive agressive basics) we can do fuck their plans up. ]'[ grr!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Stephendragonfly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:09 pm

This one just showed up on Craigslist San Francisco, under for sale, tickets by owner.

"Currently for Sale: The Soul of Burning Man. Price negotiable, final sale to highest bidder. "

Not sure if it is a mock or a real post...Flag It???
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby pink » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 pm

I don't know necessarily the best way, but the ones that tick me off the most are the 'I'll finance my burn' types of scalpers. Fuck 'em. I want to see them scrubbed from the list, flagged, hung from a post. They're not Burners IMHO, and are the type the city can do without in the future.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby moonrise » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:12 pm

Maybe do the "Wild goose chase", then flag it? I doubt the scalpers are reading eplaya, and if they are they're pulling an inside job! (fuck you!)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 pm

ZaphodBurner wrote:
hotmess wrote:

That is exactly my plan.

What if they have a gun and are planning on robbing you? It has happened.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Stephendragonfly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 pm

@Socks,
I think you are correct, once the physical tickets are in the hands of people (along with the survival guide BMORG says they are going to send) we will see a lot of ads for tickets pop up, on Craigslist, Stubhub, Ebay, etc. At first they will be terribly overpriced, but as the date draws near the ticket prices will get lower and lower as opportunists find themselves hit with the increasing possibility of being stuck with a ticket for an event they have no intention of going to. I believe that after Burning Man begins it will be possible to buy tickets for below face value, just like last year. The bad news is that people who buy the under priced tickets as a last minute decision may not have enough experience or time to figure out what they ought to bring to the Playa.
ACCK!!! It's the Sparklepony Express!!!
Stephendragonfly

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion