Which theme camps will get the former open sale tickets?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Which theme camps will get the former open sale tickets?

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 am

I am registering for a theme camp this year that has been part of the Burning Man community for years. I unfortunately was not able to register for the Main Sale which from my understanding means that I am not eligible for the STEP system. A great number of our other camp mates have also not reecieved tickets although they were able to register before. How are the remaining tickets going to be allocated amongst the camps?
XnightmarekittenX

Re: Which theme camps will get the former open sale tickets?

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 am

Exactly how the tickets are being distributed hasn't been made public yet. Your camp organizer needs to fill in the questionaire and get in line. Until that's done, your camp won't know anything.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby The CO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:34 am

What they stated as far as criteria:

1. _History_ - Your camp has to be in our database in past years.(We have ways to catch name changes for groups.) We looked for past participation.

2. _Demonstrated Community Benefit_- Your camp has been interactive in a way that has been experienced as meaningful. Your camp provides support for our Burning Man infrastructure. Your camp provides services for our community. Basically, your camp helps make the community and the magic.

3. _LNT_- Your camp has demonstrated adherence to and good practices around Leave No Trace and are committed to our community perpetuating the message of pack it in-pack it out/ Don't Let It Hit the Ground and sustainability.

4. _10 Principles_ - Your camp fully embraces the 10 principles in their entirety at their core.

Keep in mind they stated that the extras were going to volunteers first, then theme camps, Mutant Vehicles, and so on.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby alt12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:40 am

tamarakay wrote:Exactly how the tickets are being distributed hasn't been made public yet. Your camp organizer needs to fill in the questionaire and get in line. Until that's done, your camp won't know anything.

Placement sent out an email yesterday afternoon stating that they had already decided which theme camps get special tickets. The process is already over. If your camp wasn't a registered theme camp in previous years you are SOL I'm afraid. If you are a pre-existing registered theme camp, once you register for 2012, they'll let you know if you made the cut....

See below:
------------------------------------------
Dear Theme Camps,

The Burning Man organization has been listening to your concerns and feedback and has come up with a plan to address our current ticket problem that rewards our community in the best way we can. Our blog, http://blog.burningman.com/, will get you up to speed on the latest thus far. There will be a new post going up as you receive this announcement. It says that we will not hold an open sale on the remaining tickets to our event as previously planned. We are turning those tickets over to our committed community instead. That means many of you. Our core volunteer staff have already been notified that they will be eligible to purchase a ticket, and next we are coming to you. Your contribution to the fabric of our event is imperative. The outcome of our ticket process this year was completely unexpected and placed camps have taken the hardest hits. We need to make sure Burning Man stays whole and that means most of the remaining $390 ticket are going to be made available to you.

There are not enough tickets left to distribute to all of the theme camps that would like to come.We have already gone through the painful process of selecting those camps that will be awarded the opportunity to purchase more tickets. In the past we have only had to not place a camp that did not follow our process or was not interactive. Now we have had to figure out a process and make some very hard choices. This has been done using the following criteria:

1. _History_ - Your camp has to be in our database in past years.(We have ways to catch name changes for groups.) We looked for past participation.

2. _Demonstrated Community Benefit_- Your camp has been interactive in a way that has been experienced as meaningful. Your camp provides support for our Burning Man infrastructure. Your camp provides services for our community. Basically, your camp helps make the community and the magic.

3. _LNT_- Your camp has demonstrated adherence to and good practices around Leave No Trace and are committed to our community perpetuating the message of pack it in-pack it out/ Don't Let It Hit the Ground and sustainability.

4. _10 Principles_ - Your camp fully embraces the 10 principles in their entirety at their core.

This must seem familiar. It is very close to our standard criteria used for placement since 1999, with the addition of consideration of the 10 principles.

Unfortunately we will not be able to reserve all the tickets needed for any one camp. There simply are not enough tickets. We have considered closely all of the variables associated with the production of your camps and weighed how difficult it is to set up, run, and take down leaving no trace. An allotment of ticket purchase opportunities has been made to accommodate the core members of your operations. Beyond this our hope is that tickets will loosen up with those that may have more than they need and the STEP program will provide the extra ticket that your theme camp would enjoy. You may also need to find other solutions such as taking in new people or changing the scope of your project. Changes like this are being made on every level and every area of Burning Man.

In order to discover if your camp has been selected for these tickets, you will need to register for placement using the standard process of filling out the questionnaire, although much sooner. Allocations have already been made there is no need to use the questionnaire to better your chances. Though we hate to say this, this may not be the year to grow your ideas and increase your size. It is the year to gather your resources, hone your message, and open your thoughts to how you can embrace a new era in our evolution.

If you are not planning on attending this year you may be allowing us to redistribute your ticket access to another camp. Proactive communication to us would be appreciated.

We are aware that some of you may be considering applying for low income tickets. That list will be cross-referenced with theme camps tickets so a requester can receive only one ticket. We would like to offer you ticket access through placement and take some of the pressure off of the low income process. Please fill out your questionnaire quickly – by March 8th – so we can let you know if you have been selected.

This year, more than ever, it is imperative that the person who fills out the questionnaire (our contact person) is in a leadership position for your camp.That is who we will be discussing ticket access with.

It is easy to want to find blame in the board, the lottery, the scalpers, but the truth is this issue is one of supply and demand.Our cumulative successes have created an event that has caught the attention of thousands that want to join us. This shift will be hard this first year, but if we plan well, we can turn this into our greatest success ever.
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:58 am

Yes, i know all that. She also said in the meeting that they aren't notifying theme camps if they have made the cut. Everyone has to fill in the questionaire and wait. How they are being distributed is not really public knowledge yet. As TheCO said, they did list their criteria, but not who and how many. I stand by my statement.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby XnightmarekittenX » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:00 am

tamarakay wrote:Exactly how the tickets are being distributed hasn't been made public yet. Your camp organizer needs to fill in the questionaire and get in line. Until that's done, your camp won't know anything.

I am filling out the questionnaire ASAP.
XnightmarekittenX

Postby The CO » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:05 am

Yep, registered M*A*S*H last night when the audio quality from the forum got bad.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion