techno free camp

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

techno free camp

Postby yellfireinatheater » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:06 am

As much as we love the people we used to burn with, we have decided to go in a different direction. (Mostly we were just tired of listening to techno and running a bar 24/7.) So 8 of us and 2 virgins are starting a new camp that we have yet to name! we're (pretty sure) gonna do a large 2 story playground with a tire swing regular swings, slide, maybe a zip line. idk, people are getting a little crazy with it. someone wants to build a merry go round! i want to build a tunnel of lights with fuzzy blankets and pillows. who knows where this will go, but our main goal is to do all our work before burning man and this will be quite a bit of work, but have all week without a schedule or obligations. we especially need people who can go early or can score a playground for cheap, but we welcome everyone. we are all in our mid 20's, mostly live in the Denver area (2 of us live in Boston) loud, crazy, we are all very receptive and non-judgmental, but none- of us are what you would call "well-behaved" or "law abiding". if you're interested we'd like to hear from you!
yellfireinatheater

Burning Since: 2009

Re: techno free camp

Postby International Incident » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:25 am

That sounds great.

While I am in a camp I will be sure to visit you

You sound like a positive person so I'm sure you will get lots of helpers.

Good luck and make sure you post lots of development pictures etc
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby International Incident » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:27 am

Oh and you could do a fake merry go round with some roped in camp members offering rides to people.

More fun than a wooden one and you could easily turn it into smash me cars without much trouble
International Incident

Postby graidawg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:28 am

free techno, is that its worth these days? can i have a bushel please then to share with my techno poor neighbours
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby yellfireinatheater » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:54 am

melaniejane wrote:Oh and you could do a fake merry go round with some roped in camp members offering rides to people.

More fun than a wooden one and you could easily turn it into smash me cars without much trouble

thanks! not a bad idea. this whole thing stemmed from the idea a a manual bull with a barrel and ropes
yellfireinatheater

Postby International Incident » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:12 am

yellfireinatheater wrote:
thanks! not a bad idea. this whole thing stemmed from the idea a a manual bull with a barrel and ropes

Oh yes pls. I so wanna ride one of those. Weeee getting all excited about potential broken bones
International Incident

Postby AntiM » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:28 am

Tunnel of lights? You MUST get a big box of the paper 3D prism glasses.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby inthecolumbiagorge » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 am

We are building Bumper Cars and I would quite frankly love a techno free camp:-) We live on the west coast but that should not stop us from coming together on the playa. Will private message you some info on us and see where it leads!
inthecolumbiagorge

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 am

AntiM wrote:Tunnel of lights? You MUST get a big box of the paper 3D prism glasses.

Oo! Those are fun, and cheap--and then the person has a nice takeaway gift to enjoy all over the rest of the playa.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm all for this!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby yellfireinatheater » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:53 am

i like the 3d glasses, but that was done last year, glasses with a tunnel you walk through as the lights go all crazy. i wanna do a tunnel you crawl into with cozy pillows and blankets in it. more of a chill spot to relax. but thanks for the ideas!
yellfireinatheater

Postby yellfireinatheater » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:06 am

inthecolumbiagorge wrote:We are building Bumper Cars and I would quite frankly love a techno free camp:-) We live on the west coast but that should not stop us from coming together on the playa. Will private message you some info on us and see where it leads!

sent you a response :)
yellfireinatheater

Postby lemur » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:59 am

techno free camp at burning man?!

where will it be? outside of the trash fence ?

;-)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby solemnraven » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:56 pm

This sounds pretty fun and I'm already in the Denver area. I'm exploring right now and I'll let you guys know what I decide in a little bit.
"Are you Squidding Kidding me?" -SG
solemnraven

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Is there some sort of anti-techno underground guerrilla movement?

Sign me up.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elliot » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:22 pm

There was an organized anti-techno campaign a few years ago. May have been just one man, but he distributed a lot of pamphlets. I cannot seem to find the pamphlet now, but I certainly agreed with him.

Mind you, I try not to judge anybody's taste in music, but I do reserve the right to judge the loudness. It's the old principle of "your rights end where my nose begins" -- in this case, my ears.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Sage Venkman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 am

We had a Zydeco camp some eight years ago, but we surrendered to the amplified opposition. I place great hope in this new fangled electric guitar thing.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson
Sage Venkman

Postby yellfireinatheater » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 pm

@ ugly dougly and elliot- hahaha, i'm not part of any militia to end techno at burning man. i dont even mind techno, its ok as backround noise, but that really is all it is to me backround noise. we were always out numbered in our last camp, but there is a surprising large number of people at BM that HATE it and i just wanna offer an alternative. we've discussed everyone in my group putting together a few hours of their favorite music and then we're gonna mix it all together for a super diverse super awesome week long playlist. we all have pretty eclectic tastes so this should be interesting.

@solemnraven, hit me up whenever. i've already been contacted by a group on the west coast that is building a bumper car ring and we're putting things together!
yellfireinatheater

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 pm

yellfireinatheater wrote:...there is a surprising large number of people at BM that HATE it... (techno)

Not surprising to me. I've observed this for years -- people walking by saying things like "Damn, we've walked for blocks, and that shit is still just as loud!"

One time, in 2007, a major loud techno camp finally shut down, just as a group of folks walked by my camp at 4:30 and C, and one of them said "Oh wow, it stopped! How wonderful!" And they all cheered and danced.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:04 am

Y'all need to spend some more time at Hair of the Dog! I like techno but I love live music even more. I know how to find the hidden treasures....but BRC always could use more more more

Great idea, playagrounds are always rewarding, I camped with Cosmic Recess for 5 years. My buddy built me my dream thing: An adult sized sit & spin. It rocked a few burns but would always break....it did stand the test though many times. Really fun in dust storms!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:47 am

yellfireinatheater wrote:i like the 3d glasses, but that was done last year...

Don't let that stop you! Some of us didn't have a chance to go last year, and even those who did might not have found that installation. Or maybe they did and loved it so much they hope somebody does it again.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby DrYes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Techno is indeed awful, terrible music. Electrohouse, progressive trance, and dubstep on the other hand are pretty fun!
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Ratpick » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:03 pm

Yes! I'm with you! Techno is ok, but live music performed by humans (or other critters) on instruments is what impresses and moves me. I would love to help build stuff but LA is far from Denver. Keep us all posted and maybe we'll land nearby. Hair of the Dog was great, but more non-techno options are welcome!
I know enough to know I don't know shit. I just wish more people knew that much.
Ratpick

Location: Altadena! (you know, above LA, where the mountains rise up)

Postby graidawg » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 am

is techno the stuff that goes

"womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp ztztztztztztztztzt wompwompwompwompwompwompwompwompwomp"
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:35 am

I thought that was the ambient sound of wind across playa surface...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Eldon McMullen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:51 am

I'm all for a techno free camp. I hope I can find a space near you all. My plan as a gift to fellow burners is a place in front of my camper that is shady with misters and fans and a homemade instrument to make a joyful sound on. Not a large sound. I am a maker and a mechanic supreme. More than 50 years of tool making experience. I will have a good assortment of tools with me. I also am running with solar panels so need no other power supply. If I can find you when I get their and you invite me to join you , that's where I will set up camp. Mac
Eldon McMullen

Return to 2012 Theme Camps